William Koelzer is the "village blacksmith" of St. Benedict. Excellent workmanship has secured to him a liberal patronage and he is now enjoying a good trade. Numbered among the native sons of Nemaha county, he was born in Richmond township February 5, 1872, and is a son of J. P. and Margaret Koelzer. In the schools of the neighborhood he pursued his education until seventeen years of age, when he put aside his text books and began learning the blacksmith's trade at Seneca, serving a three-years apprenticeship. On the expiration of that period he went to Kansas City, where he also worked as an apprentice for a year, rettirning then to his home. He continued his residence upon the farm for about six years, but in 1898 established a smithy at St. Benedict. He has recently built a good residence and shop in that village, where he intends to make his permanent home. He has a thorough understanding of the business and his diligence and enterprise, combined with his superior workmanship, have secured to him a liberal patronage. He also carries on general farming, superintending his mother's farm of one hundred and sixty acres.
On the 1st of September, 1897, Mr. Koelzer was united in marriage to Miss Agnes Novak, a native of Nemaha county, Kansas, and a daughter of Joseph and Agnes Novak, early settlers of the county and well-known residents of Richmond township. Mrs. Koelzer is the eldest of their eight children and was reared and educated in this county, attending the Seneca schools. By her marriage she has one daughter, Anastasia, who was born in Richmond township. They are highly esteemed people of the community and have a large circle of warm friends.