Troy, Kansas, has its quota of enterprising, reliable professional men, and occupying a representative place among them is the gentleman whose name adorns this page and who has been engaged in the practice of dentistry here for more than twenty years. His life history, in brief, is as follows:
Jonathan Myers, known as "J. C." Myers, to be distinguished from Dr. James Myers, a brother, was born in Harrison county, Ohio, near Uhrichsville, August 4, 1844, a son of James R. and Maria D. (Romig) Myers, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former of Washington county and the latter of Northampton county. The Myers family are of German origin and were among the early settlers of Pennsylvania. In that state David Myers, the grandfather of our subject, was born. In the early settlement of Ohio the family moved westward to Harrison county, and established their home among its pioneers. The maternal grandfather of our subject was William Romig. James R. Myers was by trade a tanner, at which he worked in Pennsylvania and Ohio, but afterward he turned his attention to farming and for many years carried on agricultural pursuits. He died at Uhrichsville, Ohio, in 1878., his wife, at the same place, in 1877. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and was an elder and deacon in the same for many years, while she and her people were Moravians and often attended the general meetings of that church at Gnadenhutten, Ohio. Of the fifteen children born to this couple thirteen reached maturity, and the youngest of the family now living is fifty years of age.
Jonathan Myers spent his boyhood days on his father's farm, receiving his education in the common schools, and was yet in his teens at the time the civil war broke out. Before its close, however, and before he had attained his twentieth year, he enlisted, in May, 1864, in Company F, One Hundred and Sixty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Captain John D. Cummings and Colonel Taylor; went with his regiment to the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, and remained in the service until the close of the war. He was then honorably discharged, and at Columbus was mustered out.
At the close of the war young Myers took up the study of dentistry in the office of Dr. John McKenley, under whose instructions he made careful preparation for his life work, and in due time completed his studies and entered upon the practice of his profession. For three years he was engaged in practice at Utica, Licking county, Ohio, and from there, in 1870, he came to Kansas, locating at Highton, Doniphan county, where the next three years were spent. While there he was married, and soon after his marriage he moved back to Ohio, and from that time until 1878 conducted a successful practice at his old home, Uhrichsville. In January, 1878, he returned to Kansas and located at Troy, where he has had a successful professional career covering over twenty years and where he is well known and highly respected.
Mrs. Myers, formerly Miss Martha A. Campbell, was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and is a daughter of Rev. D. B. Campbell, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church. For some years Mr. Campbell was a member of the Pittsburg conference and later belonged to the Kansas conference. The Doctor has three children, namely: Mary Alberta, the wife of R. B. Castle, a merchant of Troy; Walter C., an M. D. engaged in the practice of his profession in Rea, Missouri; and Adda E., a high-school graduate.
Dr. Myers is a public-spirited citizen, interested in all that pertains to the welfare of his city, and at this writing is a member of the city council and has been a trustee of Center township. He is a member of Kenney Post, No. 292, G. A. R., in which he is a past commander.