JAMES C LOWER
Success comes not to the man who idly waits with folded arms and rarely to one who does not put forth his most earnest efforts, and thus, in a measure at least, success must always he an indication of merit, of persistent, able effort. Thus we find it in the case of J. C. Lower, one of the representative farmers of Atchison county, which boasts a host of the most progressive agriculturists in the Union.
He is a son of Henry and Sarah Ann (Sandy) Lower, natives of Tennessee and Indiana, respectively. They removed to Buchanan county, Missouri, at an early day and were identified with the farmers of that locality until death claimed them. The father, who died in 1895, was seventy-six years of age, and the mother, who died in 1890, was sixty-eight years of age. They were members of the Christian church, the father holding the office of an elder for years. They were the parents of six daughters and four sons, namely: Louisa, Sarah, Mary Ellen, Martha Eveline, Anna, Lilly, John W., James C., Isaac N. and Henry M.
James C. Lower was born in Buchanan county, Missouri, September 1, 1853. In his boyhood he early learned to be of great service to his father in the management of the farm, and during a portion of each year attended the district schools. Being industrious and ambitious to make a name and place for himself, he soon accumulated a little capital and as the years passed it became evident that he would not be left behind in the race which he was making with other young men of his age. In 1878 he came to Lancaster township and purchased some wild land, which he proceeded to reduce to a state of cultivation. To-day he is the owner of two hundred and thirty-eight acres, two acres having been contributed by him to the public schools. Large barns and farm buildings, shade trees and a well-kept barn-yard and lawn speak louder than words of the care exercised by the enterprising proprietor. A few years ago he went to Oklahoma, where he remained for some time, and as a result he now owns three hundred and twenty acres of splendid farm land there, it being located in Kingfisher county.
For a score of years Mr. Lower has found an able and devoted helpmate in the person of his estimable wife, whose maiden name was Talitha J. Potter. Their marriage was solemnized March 17, 1880, at the home of her father, Tinsley Potter. a pioneer of this county now residing in Effingham. Mrs. Lower was reared to womanhood in Benton township and by her marriage has become the mother of five children. Claude Curtis, aged seventeen years, is a student at the county high school at Effingham, as is his sister, Erna Adeline. Ada F., Lillie and Ray are at home.
For many years Mr. Lower was an efficient member of the school board, manifesting the deep interest which he takes in the important subject of education for the young. Politically he follows in his father's footsteps. being identified with the Democratic party. His means and influence are used for the good of his fellow men and the local Christian church has no more loyal, generous member.