Harry Reding, who is enrolled among the physicians and surgeons engaging in practice in Nemaha county, his office being located in Sabetha, was born in Haverhill, New Hampshire, on the 14th of May, 1860, his parents being Henry W. and Amelia (Chander) Reding. The Reding family is of Puritan lineage and on the maternal side the ancestry can be traced back to the colonial settlement in New England. The Doctor spent his boyhood days in the old Granite state and obtained his elementary education in the schools of his home neighborhood. He came to Kansas when quite young and here further pursued his education as a student in Washburn College at Topeka, being graduated in that institution in 1885. Determining to enter upon a professional career, he took up the study of medicine in the office and under the direction of Dr. A. J. Best, of Centralia, and subsequently pursued a course of lectures in the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis, Missouri, and graduated in 1888.
With a comprehensive and accurate knowledge of the science of medicine he began practice in Centralia, where he remained for two years, being associated as a partner with his former preceptor. He also spent two years in Vermillion, Kansas, and in 1892 came to Sabetha, where he has since remained, engaged in the general practice of his chosen profession. He is now well established, doing a large business, and the liberal patronage which is accorded him is an indication of his skill and ability. Here for the past seven years he has been the local surgeon for the St. Joseph & Grand Island Railroad at Sabetha and was for four years a United States examining surgeon for pensions.
The Doctor was married, in 1888, to Miss Helen E Sherrill, of Topeka, Kansas, a daughter of Rev. F. G. Sherrill, a Congregational minister. The Doctor and his wife now have an interesting family of three children -- Warren, Mary G. and Katherine. The Doctor is a member of the St. Joseph & Grand Island Railroad Medical Society, of the Kansas State Medical Society and others, and puts forth every effort to perfect himself in his chosen calling, realizing its importance and the responsibility that devolves upon him. In 1888 he won the degree of bachelor of arts at Washburn College. In 1899, in order to gain proficiency in the treatment of diseases of the eye and ear, he took a special course in that line in Chicago. He has been very successful in his chosen work, his labors being attended with excellent results. He is very careful in diagnosing a case and in anticipating any complications that may arise. His professional brethren accord him a leading place in their ranks and he also has the confidence of the public in an unusual degree.