HARRY D BURGER
Harry D. Burger is a western man by birth, training and preference, and in his career has manifested the true western spirit of progress and enterprise which have contributed in such a large measure to the wonderful development, growth and advancement of this section of the country lying west of the Mississippi river. He now resides on section 10, Richmond township, Nemaha county, where he owns and manages a valuable farm. His birth occurred in Allamakee county, Iowa, on the 29th of March, 1864, his parents being M. M. and Mary Emily (Scoville) Burger. The father was a native of New York and was reared in that state and Pennsylvania. About 1853 he emigrated westward, locating in Allamakee county, Iowa, where in the early pioneer days he improved a good farm. In 1865 he went to Jefferson county, Illinois, where he engaged in farming and fruit-growing through the succeeding six years. On the expiration of that period he came to Nemaha county, Kansas, establishing his home in Richmond township, where he died in 1892, in the seventy-sixth year of his age. During the latter part of his life he gave his political support to the Republican party. His wife was a native of the Green Mountain state, and during her girlhood accompanied her parents to Pennsylvania, where she was married. She was called to her final rest in 1887, when she had attained the age of fifty-six years. This worthy couple were the parents of seven children, six daughters and a son, namely: Emma, the wife of M. H. Allison, of Nemaha township; Ida, the wife of Calvin Shepherd, of Oregon; Clara, the wife of M. N. Taylor, of Frankfort, Kansas; Lissa, the wife of Dr. A. Snyder, of Seneca; Ella, the wife of I. P. Johnson, of Goff, Nemaha county; Minnie, the wife of Henry Zimmerman, of Seneca; and Harry D.
Mr. Burger, of this review, is the only son. He was about six years of age when his parents removed to Nemaha county and in the district schools near his home and the public schools of Seneca he obtained his education, remaining with his parents until their death. On the 27th of June, 1889, he married Anna Steinmeir, a daughter of C. H. Steinmeir. She was born in Nemaha county and, like her husband, was educated in the public schools of Seneca. Five daughters grace their union, -- Gladys, Lola, Leslie, Emily and Christina.
After his marriage Mr. Burger located on his present farm, where he has since engaged in feeding and buying cattle. He feeds all the hay which he raises and he ships his cattle to the market, where their excellent condition commands a good price. His farm comprises two hundred acres of rich land. all of which is under cultivation. He now has one hundred and thirty-two head of cattle upon his farm, seventy-two of which he is at present preparing for the market. In his business efforts he has been very successful and has prosecuted his labors with such diligence that he is regarded as one of the leading stock dealers of his community. His political support is given the Republican party and he is now serving as justice of the peace. He has also filled the offices of township trustee and is regarded as one of the Republican leaders of the community. In manner he is genial and courteous and thus has gained the warm regard of a large circle of acquaintances, while his business dealings, which at all times would bear the closest investigation, have gained for him the confidence and good will of those with whom he has been brought in contact.