GRANT W HARRINGTON
In connection with journalistic interests of northeastern Kansas Grant W.. Harrington deserves mention. He is the editor and proprietor of the Kansas Democrat and has made the paper a credit to the profession in this section of the state. Mr. Harrington was born, in Walworth county, Wisconsin, June 5, 1865, and is a son of Eldred and Amorette (Powers) Harrington. He was educated in the Kansas State University at Lawrence, being graduated in the class of 1887 on the completion of the collegiate course. Subsequently he entered the law department, in which he was graduated in 1889, being class representative on both occasions. In 1890 he came to Hiawatha and entered into partnership with W. D. Webb, under the firm name of Webb & Harrington, for the practice of law, and was an active member of the bar of Brown county until he purchased his interest in the Democrat and took charge of the paper, which is now a six-column, eight-page journal, neatly printed. On the 10th of December, 1881, S. R. and J. M. Wharton began the publication of the Weekly Messenger at Hiawatha, and on the 5th of September, 1883, George T. Williams began the publication of the Kansas Democrat. Those two papers were consolidated under the name of the Democrat January 26, 1884, under the management of the firm of Williams & Bowman. The latter soon retired, however, Mr. Williams remaining the sole proprietor until March 20, 1890, when he sold the publication to B. F. Hildebrand. On the 5th of July, 1892, Mr. Hildebrand was succeeded in the ownership by Grant W. and Wynn P. Harrington, but the latter retired in 1894, leaving Grant W. Harrington as the sole owner. In June, 1895, he bought the Hiawatha Journal, then owned by B. F. Hildebrand, and consolidated it with the Democrat, which he has made one of the leading papers of. this section of the state. It is outspoken on all topics of interest and earnest in its advocacy of all progressive and reformatory measures. Its editorials are well written and are fair and impartial.
For the past four years Mr. Harrington has been a member of the Populist state central committee and the chairman of the Populist county committee. He was the commander of the Kansas division of the Sons of Veterans in 1896 and 1897, and the year preceding was the judge advocate general on the staff of William E. Bundy, 0f Ohio. For the past nine years he has been a delegate to the national encampment of the Son's of Veterans and is a very prominent representative of that order. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the lodge, Royal Arch chapter and the commandery at Hiawatha, and to Abdallah Temple of the Mystic Shriners at Leavenworth. He is a gentleman of marked courtesy, genial disposition and agreeable manner and makes friends wherever he goes, and has a very wide circle of acquaintances in this section of the state.