GEORGE M SNYDER
George M. Snyder is justly accounted one of the most progressive and patriotic citizens of Effingham, whose interests he ever seeks to promote. Since his early years his life has been intimately associated with this portion of the enterprising state of Kansas, in whose possibilities for yet greater triumphs he is an earnest believer.
Born October 1, 1857, in Winfield, Ohio, George M. Snyder is a son of H. C. and Caroline F. (Mason) Snyder. likewise natives of the Buckeye state. The father removed with his family to Atchison county, Kansas, in 1868, and located at Monrovia. All of his seven sons and six daughters are living, the elder ones being respected citizens and heads of families. He was a pioneer in this county, and nobly endured the hardships which fell to the lot of the frontiersman. Improving a large farm in which labors he was assisted by his sons, he provided his children with good educations and qualified them for their future struggle for a livelihood. The respect and admiration of all who have been associated with him, in business or society, is his, in unstinted measure.
When a lad of eleven years, G. M. Snyder left his native state and became a permanent resident of Kansas, with the other members of the parental family. After he had completed the course of study laid down in the public schools here, he attended the Atchison Institute, and prepared himself as a teacher. Subsequently he had charge of a school for about a year, but, not desiring to devote his entire life to that calling, he selected another pursuit, and served an apprenticeship to the builder's trade, with Mr. McNeal, of Effingham. Thorough and painstaking in everything which he attempts, he soon became one of the leaders in his line of business in this locality. Many of the finest and most substantial public buildings and private residences in Effingham and vicinity were erected by him, and built upon plans and designs of his own making. Among others, the Effingham Catholic church, which is a handsome structure, and acknowledged to be one of the finest houses of worship in this portion of the state, stands as proof of his skill. Unlike many contractors and builders, he takes a personal interest in his work and, in every instance, strives to meet the needs and wishes of his patrons.
Socially, Mr. Snyder ranks as high as he does in commercial circles. The only fraternal organization with which he is identified is that of the United Workmen, his membership being in Effingham Lodge, No. 48. A man of genuine public spirit, he has not neglected the official duties to which he has been called, and as township clerk, in which capacity he served for two years, and as a member of the school board, he distinguishes himself by his fidelity and ability. Politically, he is an ardent Republican.
In June, 1888, the marriage of Mr. Snyder and Daisy Stetler, a daughter of John A. Stetler, of Effingham, was celebrated. Mrs. Snyder received good educational advantages in the public schools of this place, and is a valued worker in the Methodist church. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Snyder, born December 26, 1890, was christened John Dean. He is a bright, promising little lad, a great favorite with his teachers and all who know him.