GEORGE M DAVIS
George M. Davis is a wide-awake, progressive citizen of Hiawatha, who is now holding the office of registrar of deeds. A native of the Green Mountain state, he was horn in Windsor county, on the 11th of March, 1867, and is the second son of Milton and Lucy (Lawlor) Davis, both natives of Vermont. In 1868 the family removed to Kansas, and after a short residence in Jackson county took up their abode in Mission township, Brown county, upon a farm three miles west of Horton, where the parents still reside.
George M. Davis was a mere lad when brought to Kansas. He attended the district schools and later pursued his education in the Lawrence Business College and in Campbell University at Holton. On putting aside his text books he returned home to assist his father in the work of the farm, and was connected with agricultural pursuits until the fall of 1897, when he was elected registrar of deeds of Brown county on the Republican ticket, assuming the duties of the office on the 10th of January, 1898. The following year he was re-elected by a very large majority, a fact which indicated that his service in his first term was efficient and reliable.
In 1890 occurred the marriage of Mr. Davis and Miss Maggie Spencer. of Brown county, a daughter of John W. and Nancy J. (Wolf) Spencer. Three children grace this union, a son and two daughters, namely: Melvina, Sherman and Irene. Mr. Davis is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He is an active and enterprising business man, and his fellow townsmen recognizing his worth, called him to office. In the discharge of his duties he has shown that the trust reposed in him has never been betrayed, and those with whom he has been brought in contact entertain for him the highest regard.