EUGENE C BROWN
Eugene C. Brown is one of the highly esteemed citizens of Robinson, Brown county, and for many years has been actively identified with its business interests and with the substantial growth and development of this section of the state. He was born in Cayuga county, New York, May 16, 1853, and is a son of William Brown and a grandson of John Brown. The former removed from Cayuga county, New York, to Branch county, Michigan, where he successfully carried on agricultural pursuits. He married Harmony Connor, a daughter of John Connor, and they became the parents of the following children: Mahnlon, who is living in Coldwater, Michigan; Matilda, wife of E. A. Horton, of Shoshone, Idaho; Agnes, deceased wife of George Wheadon; Noah F., who has also passed away; Miriam, wife of N. S. Wood; George C., of McMinnville, Tennessee; Lucy, wife of Herman G. Wolf, of Constantine, Michigan; Sarah, wife of M. N. Peck, of Robinson; Emma G., deceased wife of M. P. Rush, of Robinson; and Eugene C. The father of this family died in Branch county, Michigan, in 1872, at the age of seventy-four years.
Eugene. C. Brown spent the days of his boyhood and youth in the Wolverine state, assisting in the work of the home farm, so that he early became familiar with the labors and duties that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. It was, therefore, natural that he should make farming his life work, and in the fall of 1871 he removed from Michigan to Kansas, taking up his abode in Brown county, where he purchased a tract of land. In 1874 he engaged in the purchase and sale of all kinds of farm produce: this branch of his business proving the most profitable led him to abandon farming altogether. In 1880 he established a store in Robinson, entering into partnership with M. P. Rush, as dealers in general merchandise. That firm continued in existence until May, 1892, when it was terminated by mutual consent. In June, of the same year, Mr. Brown opened his store at his present location, and he is to-day the oldest as well as leading general merchant of Robinson. His success, however, has not been won without great effort, and he has met with financial reverses. Twice has his store been destroyed by fire, the earnings of years having gone up in smoke in less than an hour. Many a man of less resolute purpose would have been discouraged, but with renewed effort he again began business, having the unlimited confidence of the public and of the merchants with whom he dealt. He now has a large and well appointed store and receives a very liberal patronage, resulting from his fair dealing, his reasonable prices and his earnest desire to please his patrons.
On the 19th of September, 1888, Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Emma, daughter of William Heffner, a well-known contractor and builder, who located in Robinson at an early day. Prior to her marriage Mrs. Brown was a very successful teacher and is a lady of culture and refinement. One son has been born of their union, William Eugene, whose birth occurred December 5, 1890. Mrs. Brown died May 25, 1895.
Mr. Brown has been connected with the military interests of the state, having been appointed by Governor Martin as first lieutenant of Company B, Third Regiment of the Kansas National Guards, in 1885. Prior to that time he was commissioned by Governor Glick as second lieutenant of the same company. In all his duties of citizenship he has been most faithful and reliable, and in military, political and business circles he commands and enjoys the respect and esteem of his fellow men in an unusual degree. He belongs to that class of representative Americans who promote the general prosperity while laboring for individual success, and his pleasant demeanor and sterling worth have gained him many friends.