CHARLES P BUTLER
Charles Pardee Butler, the proprietor of Cedar Hill farm, in Center township, Atchison county, is acknowledged by all to be one of the progressive agriculturists of this locality. His extensive business transactions have made his name a familiar one to people throughout this section of the west. Indeed the Butlers have borne a representative part in the history of Kansas and always have been noted for the active interest which they have taken in all movements for the uplifting of humanity.
The father of our subject, Rev. Pardee Butler, came here in pioneer days and, being a strong abolitionist, the influence which he exerted on behalf of the slave cannot justly be estimated. Suffice it to say that on that subject as in all others his opinions carried great weight with the public, and his noble, self-sacrificing Christian life commanded the respect of all who knew him, even of those who were bitterly opposed to him politically. For many years he carried on a farm in this county and there he reared three of his children to maturity, training them in upright principles and in loyalty toward God and their fellow men. Four of his children have been called to the better land and those who survive are: Charles P.; George C., a resident of Pardee, Atchison county; and Rosetta B., the wife of the Rev. Z. S. Hastings, of Effingham, Kansas.
The birth of Charles Pardee Butler occurred upon the parental homestead in this county April 10, 1858. His boyhood passed uneventfully, his time being occupied in the work and play and study common to country lads. After completing his district-school education he had the privilege of attending Drake University, where he pursued the higher branches of learning. Returning then to his old home he resumed the calling for which he has always had a special aptitude, farming and stock raising.
Cedar Hill farm, the fine property now owned by Mr. Butler, comprises four hundred and twenty-five acres of land, all in one body. A specialty is made of high grade coach horses and red polled cattle, a fine variety being kept for sale at all times. Large, well-built barns afford ample accommodation for the stock and crops and other improvements add to the value of the place.
The marriage of Charles P. Butler and Miss Mary M. Wright, daughter of the Rev. S. F. Wright, a minister of the Christian church, was solemnized in the village of Pardee, Kansas, on the 4th of January, 1893. Mrs. Butler, who possesses qualities which endear her to every one, was reared to womanhood in an ideal home, her parents, Rev. S. F. and Charlotte (Rule) Wright, natives of Illinois and Scotland, respectively, having been noble Christian people, whose lofty principles were inherited by their children.
In the prime of life Mr. Butler carries into all of his undertakings an enthusiasm and strength of purpose which rarely fails to bring success. Broad and liberal in his views and frank and genial in manner, he is one of the most popular citizens of his community. His ballot is deposited in favor of the men and measures of the Republican party and for three terms he acted in the capacity of township treasurer. The Christian church of Farmington has no more earnest worker and member and for years he has been specially interested in the Sunday school department, and his wife and family are communicants of the church. They have four children, viz.: Sumner F., Sybil, Maud and Oliver, and they have an adopted daughter, Matie.