B S STEWART, M D
Devoting his time and energies to the most humane profession to which man ever gives his attention, Dr. Stewart has gained a liberal and remunerative patronage in Horton, and his skill has won him prominence as a representative of the medical fraternity. He was born in Boyd county, Kentucky, August 18, 1860, and is a son of Sanford and Nancy (Harmon) Stewart. The father was born in Kentucky, but the mother was a native of Virginia and a representative of one of the honored families of the Old Dominion. They became the parents of seven children, four sons and three daughters, and on leaving Kentucky they took up their abode in Missouri, both the father and mother spending their last days in Clay county, that state. Their daughter, Mary, is an author of well-known ability and has been a successful and prominent teacher for years, having for some time been a member of the faculty of the State Normal School at Warrensburg, Missouri.
Dr. Stewart supplemented his preliminary education acquired in the common schools by an academic course and was graduated in Cedar Falls, Iowa, in the class of 1880. Determining to become a member of the medical profession, he began familiarizing himself with its standard text books and medical treatises in the office and under the direction of Dr. Barron, a prominent and well-known physician of Vionia, Missouri. Later he entered the St. Joseph Medical College and was graduated in the class of 1882. He spent the summer of 1883 in Iowa, but returned to Platte county, Missouri, where he made his home for two years. In 1886 he came to Brown county, Kansas, and for some years occupied the position of principal of the schools of Everest, being widely recognized as a competent and successful educator. During his incumbency he raised the standard of the Everest schools and largely promoted their efficiency. In 1893 he located in Netawaka, Kansas, where he engaged in the practice of medicine until 1899, when he came to Horton. He is the government physician for the Kickapoo Indians on their reservation adjoining Horton, and is also the attendant of the Indian pupils in the mission school near the city. A well-informed physician, he has kept abreast with the progress of the times and in touch with the latest discoveries and theories connected with the science of medicine.
The Doctor was married, in Everest, Brown county, in 1888, the lady of his choice being Miss Cora Denny, a lady of education and culture, who was graduated in the Normal College in Iowa. The Doctor exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party, and socially is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, the Fraternal Aid and the Masonic lodge. Both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church and he advocates reform along intellectual, moral and temperance lines, supporting all measures and movements which he believes will promote the welfare of the race. His broad humanitarian views are manifested in his will, which is characterized by well bestowed charities.