ANDREW J WILSON
This gentleman, who occupies the position of registrar of deeds in Atchison, was born in Lancaster township, Atchison county, on the 24th of November, 1859, and is a son of Charles and Mary K. (Brown) Wilson. His paternal grandfather was Elias Wilson. His father was born in Bartholomew, Indiana, February 7, 1827, and in 1855 came with his family to Atchison county, Kansas, locating on a farm in Lancaster township. Here his death occurred February 28, 1897. The mother, who was born in Tennessee, October 30, 1831, is still living on the old homestead.
Andrew J. Wilson was reared on his father's farm in Lancaster township, where he early became familiar with all the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. He attended school at intervals during his minority, and in 1883 he left his native state, making an extended trip through the west and spending some time on the Pacific coast in California in search of health. Upon his return to Kansas he embarked in merchandising in the town of Huron, conducting business with fair success until 1895, when he was elected registrar of deeds of Atchison county for a term of two years. He discharged the duties so acceptably that he was again made the Republican nominee, in 1897, and again in 1899, and was re-elected each time and is therefore the incumbent in that position at the present time. He is ever faithful to his duties and reliable and prompt in discharge of the work that devolves upon him. He has also served as a township trustee for five terms.
In 1884 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Wilson and Miss Millie Lewis, a daughter of James Lewis, of Atchison county, Kansas. Their union has been blessed with four children, namely: Jessie L., Norman L., Charles F. and George Dewey. Mr. Wilson is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias and enjoys the esteem of the members of that fraternity.