Ohio has furnished to the Sunflower state many of its esteemed and valued citizens, which number includes Mr. Campbell, who is carrying on farming in Mission township, Brown county, where he owns and operates one hundred and fifty-four acres of rich land. This farm is valued at ten thousand dollars and is conveniently situated about three-fourths of a mile from the village of Willis. Many excellent improvements are found on his place, including a fine residence and a substantial barn 42x42 feet, under which is an excellent rock basement. There is a large orchard, and the fields are carefully cultivated, giving promise of abundant harvests. The work of the farm is carried on along progressive lines and the neat appearance of the place indicates the careful supervision of the owner whose methodical habits and practical methods have made him one of the substantial farmers of the community.
Mr. Campbell was born near New Hope, Brown county, Ohio, September 17, 1841, and is of Scotch descent. The ancestry can be traced back over two hundred years to one of the strong Highland clans of Scotland. The father Hugh M. Campbell, married Miss Margaret Bunner, a native of Ohio and a daughter of John Bunner, who was of German lineage. Six children have blest their marriage, those living being: Amos; Mary Jane; John, who was a soldier in the civil war and died in Indiana; Lindsey, of Indiana and Emeline; and the deceased being a daughter who died in childhood. Three of the sons were valiant Union soldiers in the war of the Rebellion, John and Lindsey becoming members of the Fifty-third Indiana Infantry. The mother of these children died in Spencer county, Indiana, in 1852, at the age of thirty-five years, and the father's death occurred the same year, when he had reached the age of forty-one years. By trade he was a blacksmith, and politically he was a Democrat, advocating the political principles promulgated by Jackson.
A resident of the Hoosier state from his eighth year, Amos Campbell, of this review, learned the blacksmith's trade there, which he followed for a long period. He manifested his loyalty to the government during the civil war when, on the 29th of October, 1861, he offered his services to the Union and joined the boys in "blue" of Independent Company E, Ohio Cavalry, with which he served for three years. He participated in the memorable sieges of Corinth and Vicksburg and was in the battles of Burnt Hickory, New Hope Church, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain and Atlanta, being present at the capitulation of that city. After it surrendered he returned to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he was honorably discharged, on the 28th of October, 1864, after serving for three years.
Mr. Campbell then returned to Brown county, Ohio, where he worked at blacksmithing for some years. In 1875 he led to the marriage altar Miss Mary E. Tinsley, who was born in Morgan county, Illinois, a daughter of John and Eliza S. (Taylor) Tinsley, early settlers of Illinois. Her mother is now living in Mission township. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell now have a daughter, Margaret E., who is the wife of Frank Robertson. Before her marriage she was a popular and successful teacher. She now has two sons -- Paul Llewellyn and Ben Campbell. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell host their only son, Amos Llewellyn, who was born February 1, 1886, and died March 4, 1892, his death being a great blow to the family.
The subject of this review has long been a resident of Brown county and has given an active support to many measures calculated to prove of public benefit. He exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the Republican party but has never aspired to public office. He and his wife and daughter are members of the Methodist church, in which he is serving as steward. His life is in harmony with his professions and both Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are widely known in Brown county, where they enjoy the friendship of many acquaintances.