[The Ferrells of Southwestern Virginia]
Note: I no longer have the time to make periodic checks to assure the integrity of the e-mail addresses given by those submitting queries. You can help. If you run across a bad address or link, will you be kind enough to take the time to let me know here.
Ferrell Family Queries
Subject: Lucinda Sarver m. Alpha Ferrell, Craig Co., VA, 1856
- Looking for ancestoral links within the Ferrells and Sarvers. My g-grandmother was Lucinda Sarver m. Alpha Ferrell in Craig Co., VA in 1856.
Mount Dora, FL
Subject: E. M. Ferrell, Marshall Tenn >1819<1836 m. Willie P. Cole
1. Wilie P. Cole
03 June 1819 born in Orange County South Carolina ("North Carolina").
6 Dec 1836 Married to E. M. Ferrell in Marshall county Tennessee
May 1842 Married to Elizabeth "Eliza" T. Marr in Marshall county
29 July 1860 Married to Catherine Linford Misner in Jasper County Iowa.
10 Jan 1840 Widowed from E. M. Ferrell
Widowed 13 April 1860 from Elizabeth "Eliza" T. Marrin Jasper County
Widowed 10 Dec 1891 from Catherine Linford Misner in Joseph, Oregon.
Died 18 April 1909 in Joseph, Oregon.
Father may be John Cole. Mother may be Dicey Warren. These names were
listed in the LDS database along with John, Sam and James Cole. Wilie's
first son's name was John so is seems reasonable that this information
is correct. There are two John Cole listed in Orange North Carolina,
North Carolina family tree. See appendix A, Child number 36 had a son
named William P. Cole. However this John Cole was born in 1819, so this
John Cole could not be Wilie's father. Child number 13 is the son of
Samuel Cole Jr. This John Cole was listed on the 1790 CENSUS Tax
report, along with his father and younger bother, Levi. There is no
other information collected on this John Cole. This John's younger
brother was married in 13 Nov 1792. His fathers two older brothers were
born sometime before 30 Nov 1754. This suggests that this John could be
father. The LDS database list the marriage date of John and Dicey as
1818, one year before Wilie was born. LDS batch number 5017718, sheet
There are two theories of the middle name. One theory is that the
middle name is Phillips. This is based on an interview with Lelah Cole,
where she remembered that her father (Robert Lindford Cole) named his
first child after himself, and the second child after the father. The
second theory is that the middle name is Person. This is based an entry
in the LDS database for Wilie, his first 2 wifes, his parents, and first
three boys (John, Sam and James) The county adjoining orange county
North Carolina is Person County. This may be where the middle name of
Person came from.
Wilie's first name is spelled Wilie, and Wilie, and Wiley. Wilie and
Wilie are recorded in the LDS database. Those who knew Wilie pronounced
the name Wiley. The grave stone head is recorded as Wilie P. Cole.
The newspaper clipping of Wilie P. Cole lists South Carolina, however
the correct state is probably North Carolina. Orange county is in North
Carolina. The early boundaries between North and South Carolina were
sometimes in question.
Migration high lights:
1819 Orange NC.>1836 Marshall TN>1838 Hardin IL>1842 Marshall TN>1847
Hardin IL>1854 Jasper IA> 1867 Johnson NE>1880 Wallowa/Union OR.
The Cole family left NE on April 20, 1880. They arrived in Grand Ronde
Valley on July 9, 1880. They moved to Wallowa County in October 1880.
Subject: Gaston Ferrell, Born 1824 married 1850 to Francis
- Trying to find My ancestors. My last known relative was Gaston Ferrell, Born 1824 married 1850 to Francis, had a son in 1850 named John Ferrell. Cannot find Parents of Gaston. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Subject: Benjamine Franklin Ferrell from Tyler County
- I am interested in tracking down my great grandfather Benjamine Franklin Ferrell from Tyler County.
Subject: Pearline Ferrell m Mitchell Steele
- Searching for information on a Pearline Ferrell who married a Mitchell Steele. Daughter of Richard and Sarah Ann (Sanson) Ferrell. Any help appreciated.
Subject: I am the daughter of George Farrall 1911-1983 born in PA and died in CA.
- I am looking for any family members of George, Jack or Albert Farrall in either the US or UK. My father George Farrall married Violet Marie Steele . So I have family in both surnames that I am interested in finding.
Linda Farrall - Boas
Subject: Larkin and Rachel Nash Ferrell
- I am a Descendant of George and Elizabeth Sommmers Ratcliffe Steele, and also a Descendant of Larkin and Rachel Nash Ferrell. My husband is a Descendant of Elsie White and Augustus Gates. Any help on these would be appreciated.
Tamara D. Steele-Altizer
My Home Page
Subject: Branham/Ferrell story needs verification
- I am a descendent of the Branhams. I have an interesting family story I hope to be able to prove someday but won't hold my breath. I am hoping someone in the Branham/Ferrell line will have heard the same story. My ancestor Elizabeth/Betsy Morgan married Joseph Branham in 1834 in Pike County, KY. Joseph was reportedly killed by his brother Turner when Turner struck him with a shotgun. Joseph died before 1850. My ancestor William Jennings Branham was born to Elizabeth Morgan Branham in April of 1850. It is thought that he is actually a child born out of wedlock and was the son of Andrew Jackson Ferrell. I have pictures of both William Jennings Branham and Andrew Jackson Ferrell and they are the spitting image of each other. Andrew Jackson Ferrell was the son of Eliza/Polly Slater.
There is a family story that she ran away with an Ohio indian and when her family got her back she was with child (Andrew Jackson Ferrell). The baby was born in 1828/29 in Russell Co., VA. He got the surname Ferrell as his mother married Andrew Ferrell, the son of John Ferrell and Nancy Jackson in 1835. Eliza later married James Morgan in July 1839 in Perry Co., KY. My Elizabeth Morgan Branham was a daughter of James Morgan and his first wife, possibly a Hall. This family has had me stumped for years. Do you know of anyone that has the same lineage and would want to help me sort out these Branhams, Ferrells etc. I have quite a few census records and other documentation I can share.
Subject: Melinda Rose Ferrel
- I noticed that you have a lot of Ferrels listed in your lines. I am seeking information on a Melinda Rose Ferrel who was married to a ----Williams. They had at least one daughter, Margaret Williams, who was born in 1852. They supposedly lived in Rockbridge County Virginia. Have you encountered this line in any of your research? I would appreciate any help you might be able to give as I am just doing this for fun and when I have the time.
Ann S. Bittner
For some really great backgrounds!