Campbell County was the twenty-sixth county in the State of Tennessee. The county was formed on September 11, 1806, from parts of Anderson and Claiborne Counties. Campbell County was named after Colonel Arthur Campbell of the Revolutionary War who also conducted several campaigns against the Indians in Tennessee. Settlement was made as early as 1795, one of the earliest settlers being Hugh Montgomery, who owned the site later selected as the county seat.The Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions was organized at the home of Richard Linville on the first Monday in December 1806. An old wagon was used as the first courthouse. Coal was discovered in the mountainous section in 1853, but mining operations ceased during the War Between the States and the mines were not reopened until the advent of the railroads.
Campbell County is located in the northeastern part of the state. Parts of the county was taken in 1849 and 1850 to form parts of Scott and Union Counties.
Jacksboro is the county site of Campbell County. The town site was donated by Hugh Montgomery, who was a wealthy man for his day. He was the father of Colonel Lemuel P. Mongomery, who was killed at the battle of Horse-Shoe. In 1808 Sampson Davis, John English, John Yount Sr., and John Newman were the Commissioners who laid off the town. The first Courthouse was built of stone in 1808 and is still standing being occupied by Gamble Hotel. In 1855 a new brick Courthouse was built.   It was destroyed by fire in 1884. The present Courthouse was built in 1885 and the annex built in 1912.
The first jauk was built in 1808. In 1868, a new stone jail ws built between the present Courthouse and the Sheriff's residence, but was torn down and new jail built in 1890. This jail is now used as the Sheriff's residence and the Jury room. The present jail was built in 1917.
The first Circuit Court was organized in 1810 by Judge Cocke. In 1842, the Chancery Court was organized and the first Chancellor was Thomas L. Williams. The first County Judge was R. D. Perkins, who served from 1890-1902. The Sheriff was Michael Huffaker for the terms of 1806-1807.
The first school house in Jacksboro was built by John Queener at the cost of $399.80. It was located on the lot where J. F. Huddleton's residence is now located.
Anthras, Campbell County was given its name by L. I. Coleman, president of the Tennessee Jellico Coal Company. It was established in 1909. Anthras is locared on the clear Ford River in the northeastern portion of the county near the Claiborne County border line.
Block, Campbell County is a mining community derived its name from a seam of coal called a "block". It is located in the western part of the county. The village was settled in 1889.
Caryville, Campbell County was given its name in 1866 in honor of Judge William Carey of Virginia. When Caryville was first settled it was called Wheeler's Station for H. D. Wheeler. It is located in the southwestern part of the county. Caryville is a coal mining town.
Chaska, Campbell County is an unincorporated village located in the northern part of the county. Chaska was settled about 1820.
Clinchmore, Campbell County was named from the Clinchmore Mining Company. The opening of coal mine in 1929 started the settlement. Clinchmore is located in the southern part of Cambpell County. Coal mining is the industry for Clinchmore.
Cotula, Campbell County, was originally called Gatliff in honor of Dr. A. Gatliff, a physician of the locality. The name was changed to Cotula in 1908, when the railroad was built through the section. It is located near the central part of the county.
Duff, Campbell County was named for Captain Frank Duff, one of the first settlers of the section. It is located in the southern part of the county. Coal mining, timber and truck farming are the chief industries. Duff was settled in 1868.
Elk Valley, Campbell County is named for Elk Fork Creek that runs through the valley. The creek was named because of the abundance of elk found in the valley in the early days. Elk Valley is located in the northwestern part of the county near the Scott County line. Elk Valley was first settled in 1790 by pioneers who came to the section from North Carolina.
Habersham, Campbell County was given the name of a prominent resident when the local post office was established. It ws formerly known as Cupps, also a name which was adopted from a family of early settlers. It is located in the nrotheastern part of the county. Habersham was settled about 1800
Jacksboro, a seat of Campbell County was named for John T. Jack, a captain of the Revoluntionary War. It is located in the south central portion of the county. Jacksboro was settled in 1806.
Jellico, Campbell County, derived its present name from the Augelica root which grows in the section, and from which early settlers were said to have made an intoxicating drink called "jeica" or "gelca". From the first time of its settlement until 1883, it was called Smithburg from number of families named Smith who settled there. Jellico is located in the northern part of the county on the Kentucky border. Jellico was settled in 1795 and first incorporated in 1885 and again in 1903 and 1907.
Lafollette, Campbell County was named for Harvey M. LaFollette, who was a promoter from Indiana, who was responsible for the town's development. It is located in the central portion of the county. LaFollette was settled in 1890, and was called Big Creek Gap Coal and Iron Company's properties, which the compnay had failed in its effort to develop.
Morley, an unincorporated village in Campbell County, was named for a Mr. Morley who was a grading contractor for the railroad when it was built through the section. It is located in the northeastern part of the county. Morley is strickly a coal mining community. Morley was settled in 1906.
Newcomb, Campbell County, was named for Captain Newcomb, surveyor for the railroad and was in charge of the construction camp which was established there. It is located in the northwestern part of the county. Newcomb became a settlement when the railroad construction camps were located there in 1883.
Pioneer, Campbell County was given its name by the first pioneer settlements of the section. It is located in the northwest part of the county. Pioneer was settled in 1861.
Shea, Campbell County was settled about 1872. Shea Brothers located a logging camp here in 1913. The post office was established then, taking its name after one who was appointed as postmaster, James T. Shea.
Vasper, an unincorporated village in Campbell County, was first known as LaFollette Junction and changed to Vasper in 1902. The village was probably named after the Vasper coal Company in the vicinity. It is located in the southern part of the county. Vasper is a coal mining community and was settled in 1898.
Westbourne, Campbell County derived its name from the Westbourne Coal Company which opened the mine at this location. It is located in the northeastern part of the county. Westbourne was established in 1900.
Wooldridge, Campbell County was named for S. L. Woolridge, president of the Woolridge Coal Company which operates a mine in the vinicity. &mbsp; It is located in the northwestern portion of the county near the boundary line of Scott County. It is strickly a coal mining community. Wooldridge was settled in 1882.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids