Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
SARRETT/SARRATT/SURRATT Families of America (SFA)©
Flag NC. NC in US Map!
Born Davidson Co., NC.
Davidson Co., NC. Twp. Map - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map! SFA© Coat of Arms - Click on Thumbnail for larger Photo! Davidson Co., NC. Road Map 2009 - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map! NC in US Map! Flag NC.
Died Davidsin Co., NC.
Introduction SURRATT's in Davidson Co., NC.

 THE SURRATTS OF DAVIDSON COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
 DESCENDANTS OF BEVERLY & WILLIAM SURRATT Click on Redball for More Info.<--- [REF:#90] Pg51
SARRATT'S in Western Carolinas in early 1775 to 1800's
SARRATT's in Western Carolinas beginning 1775 Vicinity Map! - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   SARRATT's in Western Carolinas beginning 1780 Vicinity Map! - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   SARRATT's in Western Carolinas beginning 1800 Vicinity Map! - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!  

Other changes occurred, namely the formation of new counties as the land became more settled. Samuel,1 Sarratt's property near the South Hyco was originally in Orange County; It was included in Caswell County when that county was formed and they then had to pay taxes in Yanceyville. In 1791 when Person County was formed out of Caswell, his old Granville grant was found to be in the new county and taxes then had to be paid at Roxboro, which no doubt was a convenience.

This process also affected the southern portion of Rowan County east of the Yadkin River where Samuel's sons had settled. Some settlers had to travel 30 to 40 miles to the court at Salisbury to do business and this was often difficult. Roads were poor or nonexistent and the going was very rough in stormy weather. Many creeks had to be forded before crossing the Yadkin River to reach Salisbury, and the river itself was not only difficult but dangerous to ford if it was flooding.

Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo! After the Revolutionary War, the population had increased considerably, so in 1822 the State Legislature of North Carolina decided to create Davidson County on the east side of the Yadkin River, thereby dividing Rowan. Lexington became the county seat and the new county was named for General William Lee Davidson, a hero of the Revolutionary War who had won great esteem in the Piedmont area. The first Court of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions met in Lexington in January, 1823.

The SURRATTs still found themselves isolated from the county seat since they were in the southern part of Davidson County, but they must have been contented for some of them continued to live there and are still found there today. They lived in and about a small community called Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Jackson Hill, but only a few traces of Jackson Hill remain today since good roads and cars link the people of that area to Denton, NC. and other towns for shopping, postal services, and other services.

Davidson Co., North Carolina - Click on thumbnail for larger map!  Davidson Co., NC. was created in 1822, from the larger Click on RedBall to See More Info.<--- See: Rowan Co. It was named after Brigadier General William Lee Davidson, an American Revolutionary War general killed at the Battle of Cowan's Ford on the Catawba River in 1781. The County Seat is Wikipedia Encyclopedia - Click on Redball for More Info.<--- See: City Stats from Wikipedia, (the free encyclopedia)   Lexington, NC. 26292. It is located in the Central part of the State; It is Bounded by Click on RedBall to See More Info.<--- Forsyth Co., on the North; Click on RedBall to See More Info.<--- Guilford Co. on the East; Click on RedBall to See More Info.<--- Randolph Co. on the East; Stanley & Montgomery Co's on the South; with Davie & Click on RedBall to See More Info.<--- See: Rowan Co's on the West. (First Census 1830; Reg. Deed has b., m., d., Bur. & Land Records from 1823; Clerk Superior Court has Div., Pro., & Civil Court rec. from 1823)
Davidson Co., North Carolina - Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo!   Davidson Co., North Carolina Township Map! - Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo!   Davidson Co., Street Map! - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   1822 - 1972, Davidson Co., NC. 50yrs Sesquicentennial, by Katherine F. Skipper! - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   1890 Map of Jackson Hill, Davidson Co., NC., by L. Johnson, - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   1910 Map of Jackson Hill, Davidson Co., NC., by C.M. Miller - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   REF:#90 Pg 50, Vicinity Map! - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   Jackson Hill, Vicinity Map #1 - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!  
 City/Town  Zip  City/Town  Zip  City/Town  Zip
 COTTON GROVE  27292  DENTON,
  Click on Redball for More Info.<- Map GPS, 37.0625N, -95.67707W
 27239  ENTERPRISE  27292
 ERWIN HEIGHTS  27360  FEEZOR  27292  GORDONTOWN  27292
 HANDY  27239  HANNERSVILLE  27292  HEALING SPRINGS,
Click on Redball for More Info.<-- Map GPS, 37.0625N, -95.677068W
 27239
 HEDRICK GROVE  27292  HIGH ROCK,
Click on Redball for More Info.<-- GPS, 35.57245N, -80.15007W
 27239  HOLLY GROVE  27292
 JACKSON HILL,
Click on Redball for More Info.<-- GPS, 35.63358N, -80.11574W
   LEXINGTON  27292
 27293
 LEXINGTON, SOUTH  27292
 LINWOOD  27299  NEW HOPE ACADEMY  27239  NEWSOM  27239
 PETERSVILLE  27292  REEDS CROSS ROADS  27292  REEDY CREEK  27292
 SILVER VALLEY  27292  SOUTHMONT  27351  SURRATT Rd.,
Click on Redball for More Info.<-- GPS, 35.57168N,-80.11218W
 27239
 THOMASVILLE  27360
 27361
 TYRO  27292  WALLBURG  27373
 WELCOME  27374  YADKIN  27292    
   

JACKSON HILL Township, Davidson Co., NC.
Jackson Hill, Davidson Co., NC. Vicinity Map at 1,000ft - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   Jackson Hill, Davidson Co., NC. Vicinity Map at 500ft - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   Jackson Hill, Davidson Co., NC. Street View - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!   Jackson Hill, Davidson Co., NC. Street View - Click on Thumbnail for larger Map!  
In southern Davidson County a small trading center began to develop which was called "Jackson Hill after the election of President Andrew Jackson in 1828. The story is that the people of the area, being self-sufficient hard-working people, voted unanimously for Mr. Jackson who was known as the spokesman of the common man, so the village was named in his honor. When a post office was opened in 1830 under that name it became official. Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Beverly and Click on Redball for More Info.<--- William SURRATT and their descendants lived in and around "Jackson Hill"
The farmers in the area were not rich, but they were well off. They raised a little cotton for cash and they raised wheat. Most of them had a "Cane Patch" from which molasses was made and Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Squatty" Dow SURRATT (1855-1937) was particularly good at this.
The village grew to its peak around 1880 when it contained five general stores, tanyards, a coffin maker and undertaker Click on Redball for More Info.<--- (Alexander Washington SURRATT, 1854-1921), a sawmill, flour mill, church, school, and post office.
There was a doctor's office as well as furniture and cabinet makers established there. For a time, Click on Redball for More Info.<--- William M. SURRATT, (1852-1916) operated a hotel.

Some Early CHURCHES:
  Preacher Jesse SOWEL labored at "Tom's Creek Baptist Church", which is a Primitive Baptist Church, so some of the SARRATT families in Davidson Co. NC. belonged to the same church as their cousins did in Pearson Co., NC. The old records of this Church, although hard to read on microfilm, reflect the times in that there was a drive in all Churches after the Revolution against "Drunkeness". For example, Clement LANIER is fined by the Church once in 1808 for being in a state of drunkeness and in 1812 John WILSON complained about Clement's drinking habits; at one time Mr. LANIER admitted in Church he did have a drinking problem! Click on Redball for More Info.<--- [REF: #90 pg37]
Other disciplinary methods are noted in the minutes for various reasons. It is interesting to note some of the families who belonged to "Tom's Creek Baptist Church in its earliest existing records were those of:
BADGETT, Family; COGGINS, Family; GALLIMORE, William; LEE, Joshua; PEACOCK, William; RUSH, Henry; SKEEN, Family; SURRATT, Caty; SURRATT, Rebecca; STEPHEN, Family; WORKMAN, Henry; [Rebecca SURRATT and Caty SURRATT were on the list of members, but it is not known who they were exactly.] Click on Redball for More Info.<--- [REF: #90 pg37]
 Possible Record Problem!
Tom's Creek Baptist Church, Denton, Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo!   Tom's Creek Baptist Church, Denton, Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo!   Tom's Creek Baptist Church, Denton, Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo!  
  [Tom's Creek Baptist Church, is located at: 377 Toms Creek Church Rd., Denton, NC 27239
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- See: Google.com Map! GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 35.6419, Longitude: -80.1003
 This is 8.3 miles Northeast of Jackson Hill, on the Northeast side on Denton, NC. This was a long way, back in the 1850's ..prsjr

The Jackson Hill Post Office was closed in 1975
 after 145 years of service over the protests of several residents, particularly Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Mrs. Herbert (Louise Smith) SURRATT who was interviewed on television concerning her views. This protest movement, led by Louise (Smith) (1917-1982, a65yrs) and Herbert SURRATT, (1914-2005, a91yrs) negotiated a delay in the closing with the assistance of Representative Stephen Neal and Clay Varner who got signatures of more than a hundred residents, but to no avail. Jackson Hill Post Office had to shut down as did numerous small post offices across the country in the name of efficiency as it is understood by distant bureaucrats.
 Jackson Hill, Postmasters throughout the years were:
 For many years the post office was housed in homes or general stores and in the beginning mail was brought from Salisbury across the Yadkin River on horseback two times a week. By the 1890's to around 1905 the mail came from Thomasville by horse and buggy and it came three times a week. A star route was initiated in 1929 so mail was received every day after that.
 Name  b. d., age  Appointed  Son of
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Lewis S. SURRATT, a25y  1828-1884, a56y  02 Feb 1853  5th s/o Beverly,1 and Lucy (Loflin)
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Daniel L. SURRATT, a20y  1833-1913, a79y  27 Oct 1853  6th s/o Beverly,1 and Lucy (Loflin)
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Richard L. SURRATT, a34y  1821-1904, a83y  08 Mar 1855  2nd s/o William & Cynthia (Loflin)
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Alfred F. SURRATT, a20y  1858-1879m a21y  02 Jun 1878  3rd s/o "Bev" Allen & Mary A. (Finch)
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- William M. SURRATT, a27y  1852-1916 a64y  14 Oct 1879  1st s/o "Bev" Allen & Mary A. (Finch)
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Beverly D. SURRATT, a29y  1872-1909 a37y  17 Jul 1901  1st s/o Daniel L. & Charlotte (Smith)
 Some other SURRATT Postmaters in Davidson Co. were:
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Garrell W. SURRATT, a34y  1888-1958 a58y  1922 at Southmont  1st s/o Cicero L. & Rebecca E. (Smith)
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- John G. SURRATT, a68y  1832-1916 a84y  1900 at Versailes  1st s/o Spencer & Katherine (Smith)
 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Wm. Dow SURRATT, a39y  1862-1949 a87y  1901 at Versailes  2nd s/o Wm. M. & Adaline M. (Cranford)

Out of approximately 85 families served by the Jackson Hill post office around 1900, 19 families were SURRATTs. Because some of them had the same first names, nicknames became popular in the community.
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- William D. SURRATT, was called "Dinger Bill" because he used a dinner bell.
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- William Mc. SURRATT, was Called "Bottle Bill" because he had a large stomach.
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Alex SURRATT, undertaker was called "Rodman Alex" because he had lightning rods on his house in the village.
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- The other Alex SURRATT, was "Possum Alex" because of the constant grin he wore.
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- Lorenzo Dow SURRATT was called Squatty Dow" SURRATT because he was was short;
Click on Redball for More Info.<--- William Lorenzo Dow SURRATT, was called Stingy Dow" SURRATT, because he was very frugal.

From the 1st Census of 1830, most family records in North Carolina were written as "SURRATT" and that spelling has been retained to the present day. It will be noted this happened in other states as well, although a few family members continued to use an "a" in the first syllable.

Sarrett/Sarratt/Surratt's Living in North Carolina as:
"Head of Household" 1830 Census! Click on Redball for More Info.<--- (See SFA© Families, Davidson Co., North Carolina)
Johnathan SERRAT, age 50 b. c1780 Liv Randolph Co., NC.
Allen,4 SURRATT, age 23 b. c1807 Liv Davidson Co. NC.
William,6 SURRATT, age 33 b. c1797 Liv Davidson Co. NC. <---Our Subject!
Beverly,1 SURRATT, age 37 b. c1793 Liv Davidson Co. NC. <---Our Subject!

Greenberry,1 SURRATT, age 27 b. c1803 Liv Davidson Co. NC.
John,11 SURRATT, age 26 b. c1804 Liv Davidson Co. NC.
Absalom,1 SURRATT, age 60 b. c1770 Liv Davidson Co. NC.
Thomas,5 SURRATT, age 25 b. c1805 Liv Davidson Co. NC.
John,7 SURAT, age 48 b. c1782 Liv Buncombe Co. NC.
John,16 SURAT, age 18 b. c1812 Liv Buncombe Co. NC.
Joseph, age 20 b. c1810 Liv Buncombe Co. NC.
Wm. Henry, age 38 b. c1792 Liv Buncombe Co. NC.
Jane, "Widow" age 42 b. c1788 Liv Wilkes Co. NC.

As listed above, of the men listed in this 1830 census as heads of family in Davidson County, only two remained Wm. & Beverly SURRATT. Using the names found on the census a clear picture evolves: Click on Redball for More Info.<--- [REF:#90 Page 51

 1. Absalom  moved to Brown County, Illinois, in 1836.
 2. John  Absalom's son who also moved to Brown County, Illinois.
 3. Thomas  a Son of Absalom also moved to Brown County, Illinois.
 4. Green  a cousin of the above men also moved to Brown County, Illinois, also.
 5. Allen  a son of the deceased John who probably went to Jersey Co., IL with his sisters and brother. [This is 3rd s/o of John,4]
 6. Beverly  William's brother; remained in Davidson County.
 7. William  Beverly's brother; remained in Davidson County.
 8. Mary  widow of John, remained in Davidson County (but had no male children by John).
  As for other SURRATTs in North Carolina in 1830 these are the families listed:
 1. Jonathan,  of Randolph County who had moved from Davidson County.
 2. Jane,  of Wilkes County, believed to be the widow of a Samuel Sarratt. she married in Person County.
 3. John,  of Buncombe County, a different family who came to this country around 1820. There name is Surrett and they will be discussed in the appendix.
 4. John, Jr.  of Buncombe County.

The 1840 census lists three Surrett families in Henderson and Buncombe Counties, Jane Sarrat is still alive in Wilkes County, and in Davidson County seven SURRATT families were flourishing. No other families of any similar name are known to have been living in North Carolina in 1840. H/H show: Spencer, Beverly A., Wm. Sr., Beverly,1; Widow Mary (Davis), Wm. Jr. and James L. SURRATT, some 30 SURRATT residents. Click on Redball for More Info. <---See: 1840 Census Records.

The 1850 census lists 17 H/H with 64 SURRATT residents. Click on Redball for More Info. <---See: 1850 Census Records.
The "An historical map of Davidson County, North Carolina", Published 1972, Depicted circa 1850s. by Katherine F. Skipper Caption At lower right: "Davidson County, 1822-1972, Sesquicentennial." Under title: "Created by dividing the territory of Rowan County December 9, 1822. Named in honor of General William Davidson, Revolutionary War hero." Abstract Includes historical sites, old state route, and railroad. Includes street diagrams of Town of Lexington and Town of Thomasville. Click on Redball for More Info. <---See: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, their Source: Institute of Museum and Library Services

1868 Map of Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail Larger Map!  Map of Townships for Davidson County in 1868
 At top left: "After the map was made & received The Board of County Commissioners determined to make but one Township of the districts represented as Lexington & Days Township. There are therefore now [one] Township known [as] Lexington Township." Abstract Map shows townships, ferries, landowners, mills, and churches.
<----Click on Thumbnail for Larger Map!

      Historical Note The North Carolina Constitution of 1868 required counties to "divide" . . . into convenient districts, to determine the boundaries and prescribe the names of the said districts, and report the same to the General Assembly before the first day of January, 1869 The Public Laws of 1868 further specified that "a map and survey of said districts, when truly completed, [shall] be filed in the office of the Clerk of the Board of Commissioners of each County and the Secretary of State"
 Source: (North Carolina Constitution of 1868, Article VII, Section 3, Chapter 20, p. 25).

1890 Map of Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail Larger Map!  Map of Townships for Davidson County in 1890
 Relief Map By L. Johnson, shown by hachures. Shows townships, churches, mills, schools, residences, stores, mines, roads and railroads, historic sites and natural features. Includes 3 inset maps: "Thomasville," "Yadkin College," and "A birds eye view of the town of Lexington." The inset maps list the names of homeowners, businesses, churches, and schools. Churches are identified by denomination. Townships shown include Abbotts Creek, Midway, Arcade, Reedy Creek, Yadkin College, Tyro, Lexington, Thomasville, Conrad Hill, Boon, Cotton Grove, Silver Hill, Emmons, Healing Springs, Jackson Hill, and Alleghany

Click on Redball for More Info. <---See: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, their Source: Institute of Museum and Library Services
Click on Redball for More Info. <---See: 1900 Census Records. The 1900 census lists 26 H/H with 166 SURRATT residents.

1890 Map of Alleghany Township, Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail Larger Map!  Map of Alleghany Township, Davidson County in 1890
 26 Residence:
C.L. BADGETT, W.H. BADGETT, L.S. BURKHARD, J.B. COGGIN B.F. CRANFORD, I.P. DOBY, T. FRY, N.I. JONES, Mrs J. INGRAM, I. LOFTON, J. LOFTIN, REDWINE & Company, M.J. REDWINE, E.M. REEVES, Mr. REID, W.P. STEED, M.E. SOUTH, T. STOKES,
J.G. SURRATT, W.C. SURRATT, W.H. SURRATT,
L. TAYLOR, T. TAYLOR, E. VARNER, E.S. VARNER, W.M. WALKER,

1890 Map of Healing Springs Township, Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail Larger Map!  Map of Healing Springs Township, Davidson County in 1890
 24 Residence:
 BRINKLE, P.O. A.A. COLE, R.C. COLE, J.H. DANIELS, W., DANIEL, J.R. FLOYD, T.H. FLOYD, W.A. FEEZER, C.J. HARRIS, J. Ed. HARRIS, Bros. HEDRICK, W.W. HEDRICK, C.K. HOLMES, R.L. HOMES, R.L. HOMES, R.L. HOMES, Wid. KINNEY, W.N. KINNEY, Wm. LOFTIN, MARSH PO., W.P. REDWINE, Esq.; A. SMITH, Mr. STAFFORD, W.P. STAFFIRD, M.B. SUMMERVILLE, H.H. WORKMAN,

1890 Map of Jackson Hill Township, Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail Larger Map!  Map of Jackson Hill Township, Davidson County in 1890
 24 Residence:
BADGETT'S Tanyard J.M. BADGETT CARDING Mach. Co. V.S. JOHNSON, R. HARRISON, J.W. HOLLY, A. KINNEY, R. LOFTIN, Wm. LOFTIN, J.W. MORRIS Mr. REID, J.C. SKEEN, J.J. SKEEN, SMITHERLY & Company, H. SMITH'S Lead Mine, C. SEXTON,
A. SURRATT, A. SURRATT, A.W. SURRATT, Undertaker J. SURRATT, L.D. SURRATT, R.L. SURRATT, S.L. SURRATT, W.M. SURRATT,

Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo! Map of Davidson County, North Carolina ~ 1910
Drawn by C.M. Miller Civil Eng., Salisbury North Carolina
Blue line print. Relief shown pictorially. Map shows landowners, ferries, gold mines, copper mines, townships, mills, schools, churches, retail stores, county homes, rural mail routes, landowners, tenant houses, and public and private roads. Townships shown include Hampton, Reedy Creek, Yadkin College, Tyro, Boone, Cotton Grove, Silver Hill, Lexington, Healing Springs, Jackson Hill, Alleghany, Emmons, Conrad Hill, Thomasville, Idway, and Abbots Creek.
Click on Redball for More Info. <---See: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, their Source: Institute of Museum and Library Services
Click on Redball for More Info. <---See: 1910 Census Records. This 1910 census lists 34 H/H with 179 SURRATT residents.

1910 Map of Alleghany Township, Davidson Co., NC. - Click on Thumbnail Larger Map!  Map of Alleghany Township, Davidson County in 1910
 Residence:

The two progenitors of the SURRATTs in Davidson County are:
the two Brothers Beverly and William SURRATT.

Tradition strongly insists they were born "Out of Wedlock" and their father was John MILLS. No proof can be found for this tradition, but if it was true, their mother was probably Sarah Serratt (as it was spelled on the court records) who went to court to seek support for at least one of her children in 1795. Apparently she raised her sons under her name in the Cabin Creek area of Davidson County. Whatever the true facts about their parentage, present day SURRATTs are proud to descend from these two devout family men who raised fine families and lived on the land of their ancestors with love and respect.

Need Photo of 5.1 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- BEVERLY SURRATT [1.2.2.02.1]
     It is believed he was born in 1793 (although his tombstone,erected years after his death, gives a later date) and he died in 1863. If he was born in 1797 as his tombstone says, he would have been 14 years old when his first son was born and that is highly unlikely. Also, census reports indicate his birth date was probably the earlier date. He is buried in the old cemetery on Loftin Road near Pleasant Grove Methodist Church, originally known as SURRATT's Grove. On this church is a plaque which gives credit to Beverly and William SURRATT for establishing the church in 1838. The first church was reported to have thirty members who held their services in a little log cabin. For camp meetings they erected a brush arbor and met outdoors. The first church was about a half mile away from the present church which was finished in 1964, replacing a building erected in 1882. It sits in a lovely grove of trees with a well-kept cemetery; the old cemetery is half hidden behind some shrubs and trees down the road a short distance, but it, too, is mowed and well preserved considering its age in 1980.

Beverly's wife is listed in the census as Laney or Lucy, but his estate settlement called her Paulina. No doubt Laney was a nickname. We do not have a marriage record for Beverly, but it may be possible his wife was a Loflin since an older woman named Basheba Loflin is listed as living with them in the 1850 census. This could have been his wife's mother or an older relative. His brother William married a Loflin and since, from all accounts, Beverly and William had a very close relationship it is possible they married sisters or cousins. As further proof, one of Beverly's daughters was named Basheba, possibly for a maternal grandmother or aunt, so the older female named Basheba Loflin in the 1850 census who resided with Beverly must have been a close relative.

Beverly SURRATT was a devout Methodist and minister of the church. Census records always listed his occupation as farmer, but religion played a big part in his life since he was a co-founder of Pleasant Grove Church. Also, he was prominent enough in the community to be appointed to serve in 1824 on one of the early juries of the Superior Court of Davidson County. Leonard, in his "Centennial History of Davidson County", describes the Superior Court as one that tried appeals from the lower county court and had jurisdiction in grave crimes and felonies as well as some civil cases.

In 1813 Beverly SURRATT entered a claim for 400 acres in Rowan County on the waters of Beaverdam joining; William Ledwell, William Loughlin (Loflin), Ling Burket, and Smith Hill.

Five years later he put in a claim for 15 acres in the same area. In 1834 he sold 50 acres "east of the Yadkin River" on both sides of Ellis Creek to Brantley Coggins.

The 1838 september Court of Equity of Davidson County sold the property of John Adderton, deceased, and Beverly SURRATT purchased 100 acres of woodland called "Mountain Tract" by the Addertons for $27.00. The records are not exactly clear about this property and it is difficult to tell its exact location.

In 1849 Beverly received a grant from the State of North Carolina for 98 acres on the waters of Beaverdam Creek. In August, 1854 he sold a tract on Cabin Creek which included a grist mill and a saw mill to his sons, Lewis and Daniel. On 11 Nov. 1854 he sold 57 acres on the waters of Cabin Creek and Ellis Creek to William Peacock, apparently his son-in-law.

Property tax records begin for Beverly in 1815 for 193 acres and in 1838 he had 190 acres. As usual, it is difficult to find what happened to some of the property he was supposed to have, but probably some of it just passed on in possession of his heirs.

Beverly died in 1863 but Jesse LANE, administrator of his estate, did not get around to settling things until 15 Dec. 1874. This is not so unusual when one remembers Beverly died during the Civil War when normal life was disrupted. His debts were estimated to be about $200 and his personal property had no value. He was believed to have 86 acres of land and it was valued at $2.00 per acre which would leave his estate in debt. LANE petitioned the court to sell the land except for a widow's dower in order to pay his debts.
13 Heirs listed were:
     1. 1st Son: Spencer SURRATT, a55y;
     3. 3rd Son: James SURRATT, a55y;
     2. 2nd Son: William SURRATT, a53y;
     6. 5th Son: Lewis SURRATT, a45y;
     8. 6th Son: Daniel Surrat, a40y;
     4. 1st Dau: Basheba Glover, a37y;
     9. 3rd Dau: Linny Loflin, a36y, wife of Clark;
     10. Frances Morris, a22y, wife of Jerry;
     11. GrandSon: Moses Peacock, a20y; (s/o Wm. & Nancy E. (SURRATT)
     12. GrandSon: Garel SURRATT, a27y;
     13. GrandSon: Spencer L. SURRATT, a22y;

The petition was published for six successive weeks in "The Carolina Watchman", published in Salisbury, in an attempt to notify Garel and Spencer L. SURRATT who were believed to no longer be residents of the state. These young men were both sons of Micajah (a son of Beverly) who was deceased prior to 1860.

Need Photo of 5.2 Click on Redball for More Info.<--- WILLIAM SURRATT [1.2.2.02.2]
William was probably born in 1796 in what was then Rowan County, North Carolina, and according to legend his father was John Mills and his mother might have been Sarah Serratt (as the court recorded her name.) His brother was Beverly, and both men were said to be Methodist ministers in addition to being farmers. As noted before, William and Beverly co-founded Pleasant Grove Church, also known as SURRATT's Grove, on property which the MILLS held title to in the 1790's as is shown on the map of early land grants in southern Click on Redball for More Info.<--- [REF:#90 Page 54,]

Davidson County prepared by Bert M. LAINER. This church was founded in 1838 and is believed to be one of the earliest Methodist churches in the county. Methodist history claims that Bishop ASBURY, indefatigable missionary from England, had ridden into Davidson County around 1785 and began to stir up interest in the Methodist movement. Other traveling preachers followed him and held camp meetings, but the first permanent churches of that faith were not built until 1828-1830 anywhere in the county.

William was married in Randolph County when he was about 19 years old. The marriage bond gives his bride's name as "Sinthey" LOFLIN, but later records call her "Cynthia". The bond was dated 19 Aug. 1815 and his brother Beverly was his bondsman.

 North Carolina Marriage Bonds, 1741-1868
 Mr. William SIRRAT, a19yrs son of Mrs. Sarah SURRATT and  Miss Sinthey LOFLIN, a27yrs Daughter of William & Bashiba LOFLIN were married in
 Randolph Co., North Carolina on 19 August 1814.
Boundsman: Bevely SERRAT
Witness: W. HANNA, Sr. Record #: 01 246 Bond #: 000114330

1st Dec 1818 Warrant
In 1813 William SURRATT, had entered for a grant of land of 180 acres on the waters of "Beaverdam Creek". This was surveyed in 1815 by John Lochlin (Loflin) and James LASY and signed by W. MOORE. The description mentions:
     .... "William Ledwell's corner, to William Lochlin's (Loflin) corner to Moore's road, to Isaac Vincent's line."
 The warrant is dated 01 Dec. 1818.

Later he acquired property which is bisected by Lick Creek Road today and on which is located a private family cemetery. The grave stones sit on a hillock which looks south to Cabin Creek on a curve in the road surrounded on three sides by farm fields. William's grave marker calls him Reverend William SURRATT and Cynthia rests near him. His son Allen and wife Mary Ann, their children A. F., M.D., Sina, and unnamed infants are buried in this peaceful field. Another son, William Morton SURRATT and his two wives, Margaret and Adeline, are buried there also.

On Bert M. Lanier's map he notes this property was first held by Ebenezer Parks who sold it to Frederick Smith. James Wiatt owned it for a time and then William SURRATT acquired it in 1830. This becomes very interesting because of a collection of original documents in the possession of Mrs. Allen A. SURRATT who was entrusted to care for these papers by her mother-in-law, Mrs. Irving Finch SURRATT. Two original deeds from Ebenezer Parks to Frederick Smith for two parcels on the waters of Cabin Creek are in this collection. Apparently when William bought 180 acres of these tracts, he acquired the deeds made out in August, 1796. The collection also contains the deed in which Cynthia's sons, Allen, Richard L., William M., and Whitson H., relinquished their rights in their father's property during Cynthia's lifetime; deeds made to Allen, as well as the estate settlement of his wife, Mary Ann Pinch, who preceded him in death. But, most astonishing of all, this collection of original papers also contains an original deed to Allen Sarratt's (3.2) grant of land on Beaverdam Creek for 380 acres! This seems to prove most definitely that William was a grandson of Allen Sarratt, and that when Allen moved to Lincoln County, the original copy of the deed was kept by some thoughtful person, even though the land had been sold. Was it Sarah who kept it as a memento of her father?

Whatever the answer, William seems to have had these papers and his eldest son, Allen, kept them and added his own dealings to them, they were then passed to his son, Alexander, who gave them to his son Irving Finch and in turn they were passed to his eldest son, Allen A. SURRATT and conserved by Mrs. Allen A. SURRATT.

William SURRATT died in January or February of 1861 and his wife, Cynthia, died 15 June 1864. They are both buried in the private cemetery on property William once owned. When the authors of this book visited this cemetery once in the company of Lee SURRATT and Mrs. Herbert SURRATT, Lee remarked that the Reverend William and his family were very devout people, and when they came to bury their dead, they usually carried the coffin, followed by the family and friends and they sang as they walked. He said it was told the sweet, sad sound of the hymns could be heard for a long distance over the countryside.

In his reminiscences in "Homespun Magazine" for sumner, 1979, Sam J. SMITH recalls Badgett's store as being a large one that sold farm implements, yard goods, shoes, guns, hardware, and many other items. People from all over the district came to buy and there were always wagons and horses standing around the store. Mr. Badgett also bought things from local people such as dried fruit and dried blackberries,herbs such as star grass, haw bark, and wild cherry bark; skinned rabbits, rabbit hides, and quail. The groceries he sold were mainly staples such as coffee, rice, salt, and sugar. Families raised their own meat and, after butchering, the hides went to the tanyard and then the farmer made shoes for the family or found a cobbler who could make the shoes for him.

The land for one of the first schools in Jackson Hill was deeded to the school by Alex SURRATT. It was known as Mulberry School and was taught by Miss Myrtle SURRATT and Bob Ridge. A second school was built about 1915 on land deeded by Cicero Badgett and was called Jackson Hill School. It was open for six months of each year and some of the teachers were: Pauline SURRATT Green, Myrtle SURRATT Stokes, Bunch SURRATT, Mabel Lowe SURRATT, Julie Glance SURRATT. Walter SURRATT, of High Rock, taught at Southmont School.

In 1883 a Methodist Church was built in the village of Jackson Hill. Among the trustees were: William M. SURRATT, William M. C. SURRATT Marmaduke SURRATT.

Later, a new church was built close by at a different location and is known as Clear Springs Methodist Church. It is still in use today (1980) as is. Pleasant Grove Methodist Church which is not far away from the village of Jackson Hill. The community has also been served for about two hundred years by Lick Creek Baptist Church.

The SURRATT Hosiery Mill at Jackson Hill was started when Herbert SURRATT first began experimentally to knit socks in a small chick brooder house on his father's (Irving SURRATT) farm in 1939. He had worked for Hanes Hosiery and Clayton SURRATT, who had been a lumber broker, became his partner and they pooled their knowledge. In January of 1940 they started production with thirteen knitting machines in a frame building which soon had to be enlarged. In 1941 Herbert enlisted in the Air Force (WWII) and Clayton was left in charge. At the end of the war, Clayton wished to leave the business so Allen A. SURRATT, Herbert's brother, became a partner. Allen had been with Alcoa and had wide business experience so he did the buying and selling and Herbert was in charge of production. Very soon they constructed a new building and expanded the business. Allen's untimely death in 1964 was a blow to Herbert because they had always been close friends as well as brothers and it was difficult for Herbert to have to supervise the day-to-day operations and assume Allen's duties also. Today, (1980) his sons Irving and Julian have joined the firm and are great additions since they both graduated in textiles from North Carolina State University.

The mill employs local people and when the authors of this book visited Jackson Hill once, Herbert SURRATT said that when there is a funeral in certain families it almost closes the mill. So the present follows the past in that Jackson Hill is a close-knit community whose families have strong ties to each other.

Now (1980) the little village is almost deserted, except for a few old buildings and the nearby ancient native American holly tree that is thought to be considerably over a hundred years old. It is the pride of residents as well as the pride of well-known horticultural experts. Every fall it is covered with bright red berries. What stories it could tell if it could talk! Click on Redball for More Info.<--- [REF:#90 Page 58

Goto Brother William,6 SURRATT
Goto Brother Beverly,1 SURRATT
Goto SFA© State Index
Goto SFA© Homepage
Goto SFA© Census
Goto Davidson Co. Cemetery Index
Goto SFA© Queries

Paul R. Sarrett, Jr.! - Click on Thumbnail for Larger Photo!  These records are part of the "Genealogy Computer Package" *** PC-PROFILE *** Volume - II. Sarratt/Sarrett/Surratt Family Profile© Compiled and self Published in Oct. 31, 1989 by Paul R. Sarrett, Jr. with the assistance of my late mother Click on Redball for More Info. Mrs. M. Lucille (WILSON) SARRETT (1917-1987) These 1989 "Work-Books" were compiled by listing the various families, born, married, died, and a history of that family branch. In 1996 I started "Up-Loading" this material on the now called SFA© Series...prs
Would like to any corrections/additions on these SARRATT / SARRETT / SURRATT Families, contact me at:

Click on Mailbox to send me a E-Mail Paul R. Sarrett, Jr., President of SFA©
Text - Copyright © 1996-2010 Paul R. Sarrett, Jr.
Created: Dec. 01, 1996; Sep 25, 2004;  Sep 14, 2006;  Jul 26, 2008;  Sep 23, 2008;  Sep 10, 2009;  Mar 07, 2010;  "