Daniel Jackson SARRATT; [MILS-FG 6] [SFA-ID# 188.8.131.52.1.4]
[ 1/2 D.I.B. (Degree Indian Blood) <--Not Proven!]
(3rd s/o Johnathan Mills SARRATT & Mother: Dillila (Full Blood, Cherokee) of Rowan/Randolph Co., NC. to Jackson Co., AL.
(1Gs/o.. Johnthan,1 & Hanna (MILLS) SARRATT, of Rowan/Randolph Co., NC.)
(2Gs/o.. Thomas,1 & Wife Unknown SARRATT, of Rowan Co. NC.)
(3Gs/o.. SAMUEL,1 & 2nd wife Honour SARRATT, of Prince George's Co., MD.
(4Gs/0.. JOSEPH,1 & KATHERINE SARRATT, of France "The American Progenitor!"
b. 05 Sep 1846, Cherokee Co., AL.
d. 29 Mar 1908, age 60yrs in Jackson Co., AL.
Buried: Sarratt Family Cemetery, Jackson Co., AL.
Where a headstone marks his grave. [See: Cem. Record]
At a21y he married on 26 Dec 1867, Jackson Co., AL. to [See: MBk Pg 569]
18 year old Miss Rachel I. or J. HASS/HAAS;
(5th d/o John HASS & Mother: Sarah Unknown) [REF:#005]
(Sister of Mrs. Elizabeth (Hass)/HALE SARRATT)
b. 25 Dec 1849, Cherokee Co., AL.
d. 01 Lun 1912, age 62yrs in Jackson Co., AL.
Buried: Next to husband: Sarratt Family Cemetery, Jackson Co., AL.
Where a headstone marks her grave. [See: HStone rce]
They had 10 Children born to this Union: (3 Sons & 7 Dau's) [ 1/4 D.I.B.]|
They had 12 Children born to this Union, only 7 were living in 1910 Census.
|Son/Dau||Click on Name for More Inf.||b.-d.||Married/Info.||Ch.||1. 1st Dau:||Elizabeth C. SARRATT,||AL. c1869-18?? a??yrs ??.||m. *1888 AL. Jacob H. TINKER,||2Ch.||2. 1st Son:||Johnathan Alex. SARRATT,||AL. *1873-1938 a64yrs AL.||m. *1898 AL. Susan C. WILSON||6Ch.||3. 2nd Dau:||Jimmie Lula SARRATT,||AL. *1875-1942 a67yrs TN.||m. *1894 AL. Wm. A. "Bud" PHILLIPS,||9Ch.||4. 2nd Son:||Gustaver D.L. SARRATT,||AL. *1876-1893 a17yrs AL.||bd. Sarratt Family Cem. w/Parents,||5. 3rd Dau:||Elcie/Elsie SARRATT,||AL. *1884-19?? a??yrs ??.||m. c1920 AL. James MILLIGAN,||1Ch.||6. 3rd Son:||Ranel P. SARRATT,||AL. *1885-1897 a11yrs AL.||bd. Sarratt Family Cem. w/Parents,||7. 4th Dau:||Mandie SARRATT,||AL. *1888-19?? a??yrs TX.||m. *1909 AL. Eugene S. SARTIN,||9Ch.||8. 5th Dau:||Jennette SARRATT,||AL. *1890-1929 a38yrs KS.||m. c1908 AL. Joel DePree PERRY,||?Ch.||9. 6th Dau:||Bessie W. SARRATT,||AL. *1893-1956 a63yrs AL.||m. c1913 AL. Earl L. BARNES||8Ch.||10. 7th Dau:||Jessie Marshall SARRATT,||AL. *1893-19?? a??yrs ??.||m. c1910 AL. Luther G. CLARK||5Ch.||40 Known Grandchildren/1st Cousins!|
Chronological Time Line|
Daniel Jackson SARRATT
|Type||Date||Age||Remarks (Click on Date for more Info.)||Liv'g in Co.||Born||1846||in the home of his Parents.||Cherokee Co., AL.||Census||1850||4yrs||in the home of his Parents & 4 Siblings||Cherokee Co., AL.||Census||1860||14yrs||in the home of his Parents & 7 Siblings||Cherokee Co., AL.||CWar||1861||15yrs||Enlisted in Co. "H" 55th AL. Inf.||Montogmery, AL.||CWar||1864||18yrs||in July, was "Furloughed" in||Jackson Co., AL.||Married||1867||18yrs||in Dec., m. Miss Rachel HASS, age 18yrs in||Jackson Co., AL.||Census||1870||24yrs||in Jul., w/Wife & 1Child & Others! Dist. #11, "Works on Farm" $0/$350||Jackson Co., AL.||Census||1880||34yrs||in Jun. 9th, w/Wife & 4Ch & Wid. Mother-I-Law Twp-4, R-7; Beat#11 Own Farm||Jackson Co., AL.||Patent||1891||45yrs||on Oct. 10th, 160.04 acres Homestead Twp-4, R-7-East, Section 26||Jackson Co., AL.||Census||1900||54yrs||in Jun. 25th, w/Wife & 5 Children Dutton, Precinct #28, Own Farm||Jackson Co., AL.||Death||1908||62yrs||on Mar. 29th, buried Sarratt Family Cemetery||Jackson Co., AL.|
|"Widow" Mrs. Rachel L. (Hass) SARRATT, age 59yrs, with 2 un-married Daughters||Census||1910||61yrs||on Apr. 27th, H/H No Occupation with 2 Un-Married Dau Dutton, Precinct #28, Own Farm||Jackson Co., AL.|
1. 1st Son: Boston E., age 20 Pvt. Co. "H" 55th AL. Inf.
2. 2nd Son: Simon P., age 16 Pvt. Co. "D" 22nd AL. Inf.
4. 3rd Son: Daniel J., age 14 Pvt. Co. "H" 55th AL. Inf.
(Daniel J., SARRATT, Enlisted: in November, 1861, Montogmery, Alabama; was in Floyd House Hospital, Macon-gunshot wound entering the axilla and passing out at the lower portion of the scapula, 18 July 1864; 10 days later he was furloughed on, 28 July 1864, Jackson Co., AL)
(After the War Daniel J. SARRATT Married in Jackson Co., AL.)|
Marriage Mr. SARRATT & Miss HASS
Mr. Daniel J. SARRATT, a21yrs son of Johanathan M. & Delila SARRATT and
Miss Rachel I. HASS, a18yrs Daughter of John & Sarah HASS were married in Jackson Co., Alabama on 26 December 1867. [See: M-Bk, Pg 569]
Sale of Public Lands, Bureau of Land Management (BLM),
Recorded: 160.04 acres, Oct. 14, 1891|
Patentee: DANIEL J. SARRATT
<--- Click on Thumbnail for Larger Map!
Jackson Co., State: ALABAMA; Acres: 160.04; Metes/Bounds: No
Issue Date: 14 Oct 1891
Homestead Certificate No: 6632
Application No: 13330
Land Office: Huntsville
U.S. Reservations: No
Mineral Reservations: No
Authority: May 20, 1862: Homestead EntryOriginal (12 Stat. 392)
Document Nr.: 6632
Misc. Doc. Nr.: 13330
Accession/Serial Nr.: AL4150__Page No; 245
BLM Serial Nr.: AL NO S/N
North West 1/4 of the South East 1/4 of the North East 1/4 of the South West 1/4 and the South 1/2 of the North East 1/4 of Section Section 26 in the Township #4-South of Range 7, East of Huntsville, merdian in Alabama, containing 160.04 acres.
[See: FindAGrave Map Location!]
Daniel J. SARRATT,
age 60y, 6m, 23d
Sep 5, 1846 - Mar 29, 1907
(Need Headstone Photo)
Rachel I. (HASS) SARRATT,
age 62y, 5m, 7d
Dec 25, 1849 - Jun 1, 1912
Seventh Generation! 1. Elizabeth "Lizzie" C. SARRATT; [MILLS-FG 137] [SFA-ID# 184.108.40.206.1.4.01] (1st d/o Daniel J. SARRATT & Mother: Rachael I. HASS) b. __ Jan 1869 Jackson Co., AL. d. Unknown Buried: Cemetery Location Unknown (to me) At a19y she married on 18 Nov 1888, Jackson Co., AL. to [See: MBk Pg 356] 29 year old Jacob "Jake" H. TINKER; (s/o M/M TINKER Parents) b. 06 Jan 1859, Jackson Co., AL. d. 06 Jan 1964, age 105 years old Buried: Cemetery Location Unknown (to me) They had Children born to thi Union: 1.1 1st Dau: Ila A. TINKER, b. Dec 1892 AL. 1.2 2nd Dau: Kittie TINKER, b. Apr 1899 AR.
2. Johnathan Alexander SARRATT; [MILLS-FG 136] [SFA-ID# 220.127.116.11.1.4.02] (1st s/o Daniel J. SARRATT & Mother: Rachael I. HASS) b. __ Mar 1873, Jackson Co., AL. d. __ ___ 1938, a65y Jackson Co., AL. Buried: Sarratt Family Cemetery, Jackson Co., AL. At a25y he married on 14 Feb 1898, Jackson Co., AL. to [See: MBk Pg 533] 22 year old Miss Susan C. WILSON; (d/o M/M WILSON Parents) b. c. 1876 Unknown Co., AL. d. Unknown Buried: Cemetery Location Unknown (to me) They had 6 Children born to this Union: 2.1 1st Dau: Loretta, c1904- m. Mr. STONE 2.2 2nd Dau: Sarah Illa, c1906- Not Traced! 2.3 3rd Dau: Manilla C., *1907-1979 a72y m. c1927 Willis C. LONG, 3Ch. 2.4 4th Dau: Addis T., c1909- Not Traced! 2.5 1st Son: Wm. Daniel, *1914-1966 a51y m. *1936 Jessie SMITH, 4Ch. 2.6 5th Dau: J. Pauline, c1916- Not Traced! 3. Jimmie Lula SARRATT; [MILLS-FG 138] [SFA-ID# 18.104.22.168.1.4.03] (2nd d/o Daniel J. SARRATT & Mother: Rachael I. HASS) b. 18 Mar 1875, Jackson Co., AL. per [REF:#002] b. 17 Sep 1877, Hengar, Sand Mountain, AL. per [REF:DC-1945] d. 11 Aug 1942, age 67yrs, Roane Co., TN. per [REF:#002] b. 25 Dec 1945, Chattanooga, Hamilton Co., AL. per [REF:DC-1945] Buried: Willard Park Cemetery, Harriman, Roane Co., TN. Wher a Flat Stone marks her grave. [See: wilpk04_009.jpg ] At age 19yrs she married on 22 Jan 1894, Jackson Co., AL. to 18 year old William A. PHILLIPS; (a.k.a. "Bud") b. __ ___ 1876, Unknown Co., TN. d. __ ___ 1943, age 67yrs, Roane Co., TN. Buried: Willard Park Cemetery, Harriman, Roane Co., TN. Wher a Flat Stone marks his grave. [See: wilpk04_010.jpg ] They had 9 Children born to this Union: 3.1 1st Dau: Carrie PHILLIPS, AL. *1895-1895 a 5mth bd Sarratt Family Cem., Jackson Co., AL. 3.2 1st Son: Romel PHILLIPS, TN. *1897- 3.3 2nd Dau: Clara P. PHILLIPS, TN. *1900-1977 a76yrs m. Mack MAJORS, ?Ch. 3.4 2nd Son: Herschell PHILLIPS, TN. *1901-1924 a22yrs, bd Willard Park Cem., Roane Co., TN. 3.5 3rd Son: Lee PHILLIPS, TN. c1904- 3.6 3rd Dau: Beatrice PHILLIPS, TN. c1910- 3.7 4th Dau: Lorie PHILLIPS, TN. c1909- 3.8 4th Son: Harry PHILLIPS, TN. c1914- 3.9 5th Son: Glenn PHILLIPS, TN. c1917-
Lizzie C. SARRATT, Census Records & Source Notes! 1900 was age 31yrs living with Jacob, & 2 Dau in 1900 Census, Hampton Twp., Lee Co., AR. Rent Farm, both can Read & Write!
Not Traced! after 1900 Census.
4. Gustaver D. L. SARRATT; (a.k.a. "Gussie") (2nd s/o Daniel J. SARRATT & Mother: Rachael I. HASS) b. 16 Jan 1876, Jackson Co., AL. d. 16 Aug 1893, a17y Jackson Co., AL. Buried: Next to parents: Sarratt Family Cemetery, Jackson Co., AL. Where a headstone marks his grave. [See: Cem. Record] 5. Elsie SARRATT; [MILLS-FG 139] [SFA-ID# 22.214.171.124.1.4.05] (3rd d/o Daniel J. SARRATT & Mother: Rachael I. HASS) b. __ Sep 1884, Jackson Co., AL. d. Unknown, Buried: Cemetery Location Unknown (to me) Married James L. MILLIGAN; b. 1882, Jackson Co., AL. d. Unknown Had at Least 1 Child: 5.1 Step-Dau: Carrie McANELLIE, b. 1907 AL.
Jimmie Lula SARRATT, Census Records & Source Notes! 1900 was age 25yrs living with Wm. & 3Ch 2Ch. Liv in 1900 Census, C.D.#3, Hamilton Co., TN.Rent Farm, both can Read & Write!
1910 was age 35yrs living with Wm. Record Not Found! Roane Co., TN.
1920 was age 44yrs living with Wm. & 6Ch & S-I-L Liv in 1920 Census, Ward#3, Chattanooga Hamilton Co., TN. Rent, Yardmaster R.R.
1930 was age 54yrs living with Wm. & 2Ch & 2GCh Liv in 1930 Census, Roane Co., TN. Rent Car Inspector, R.R.!
Mrs. Jimmie Lula (SARRATT) PHILLIPS, age 68yrs
Death Certificate #23301; Dated: 25 Dec 1945
Date of death: 25 Dec 1945
Died in Chattanooga, Hamilton Co, TN, Civil District 1
Usual residence: 3405 12th Ave, Chattanooga, TN.
Usual occupation: Domestic
Date of birth: 17 Sep 1877
Place of birth: Hengar, AL.
[i.e. "Henegar" on Sand Mountain in Jackson Co, AL]
Father's full name: D.C. GARRETT
[should be D.J. SARRETT or SARRATT - Daniel J. SARRATT]
Birthplace of father: county unk, AL.
Mother's maiden name: Sarah HASS [should be Rachel HASS]
Birthplace of mother: county unk, AL.
Informant: Mrs. E.W. ELLIOTT
[i.e. daughter Lossie (nee PHILLIPS) ELLIOTT]
Informant's address: 3405 12th Ave, Chattanooga, TN,
Burial; Date: 27 Dec 1945; Willard Park, Harriman, Roane Co., TN.
Undertaker: Cosmopolitan Funeral Home, Chattanooga
Attended by physician from 1 Aug 1944 to 25 Dec 1945
Last seen by physician alive 24 Dec 1945
Death occurred at 5:[55?]
Immediate cause of death: "Lymphogenous Leukemia"
Duration: 3 years
Other conditions: Bronchopneumonia
Physican: Albert S. Esley
Address: Med Arts
Date signed 4/4/46
Date filed [stamped RECEIVED]: 1-9-46 ___ Riddle
Source: Mrs. Dawnelle (Giles) LOISELLE, E-Mail: See: Dated: 14 Nov 2008
Note: Lula PHILLIPS was Jimmie L. "Lula" SARRATT from Sand Mountain, Alabama. She married William A. "Bud" PHILLIPS 23 Jan 1894 in Jackson Co, AL.
Variants or alternate information exists for her birthdate, surname spellings, and date of death. Her death certificate, at least, nails down her death date.
1880 federal census data for her parents shows her in their household as Jimmie L., a four-year-old, so the birthdate on her death certificate is likely not too far afield.
Her grave marker dates confilict with just about everything .
See a photo of the marker at TnType's rootsweb pages for Willard Park Cemetery, Harriman [South Harriman], Roane County, Tennessee:
Note that her grave marker gives her name as "Lula J PHILLIPS. 1878 - 1945" She is buried in a family plot that includes her husband Bud; her daughter Clara; her son Herschell; and her granddaughter Clara (infant). See an annotated excerpt of Lula's death certificate above] by Mrs. Dawnelle (Giles) LOISELLE, 2008
|Possible Record Problem!|| In the 1920 Census, Carrie McANELLIE, was listed as "Step-Daughter" of James MILLIGAN!|
In the 1910 Census Elsie SARRATT age 25yrs, was "Single" living with Parents?
In the 1930 Census, James L & Elsie (Sarratt) MILLIGAN, Owned Farm living on Sublett Gays Rd., Pisgah, AL. ..prs
|Source and Reference:||[REF:#001]||Paul R. Sarrett, Jr.||
Sarratt/Sarrett/Surratt Familie of America (SFA)©
Bibliography County Histories
"Cherokee County History, 1836-1956" by: Mrs. Frank R. Stewart, 2 Vols., Centre, AL. Stewart Univ. Press, 1858-9
"History of Jackson County, AL." by: John R. Kennamer, Winchester, TN.; South Press & Pub. Co., 1935; 213pp.
Researcher of Simon Peter, s/o Jonathan M. & Delila SARRATT
Date: 30 Aug 1999 8:27:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time
File: Sarratt.GED (94882 bytes)
DL Time (26400 bps): < 1 minute
AL - Index
SFA - Index
These records are part of the "Genealogy Computer Package"
*** PC-PROFILE *** Volume - II. Sarratt/Sarrett/Surratt Family Profile©
Compiled and self Published in Oct. 31, 1989 by Paul R. Sarrett, Jr. with
the assistance of my late mother|
Mrs. M. Lucille (WILSON) SARRETT (1917-1987) The SFA "Work-Books" were compiled by "States" listing the various families, born, married, died, and a history of that family branch. In 1996 I started "Up-Loading" this material on the Sarratt/Sarrett/Surratt Families of America (SFA)© site. ..prs
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids