John Thurmond was born in Aug 1747/8 in Albemarle Co., VA. He died in Apr 1828 in Sumner Co., TN. He married first in Albemarle Co., VA. to Sarah Goolsby. Sarah Goolsby Thurmond died in Sumner County, TN before 15 Feb 1816, when John Thurmond married second Nancy Gregory.
John Thurmond and Sarah Goolsby had the following children:
1. Fleming Goosberry Thurmond was born in 1785/86 in Albemarle Co., VA. He died in 1863 in Gibson Co., Tennessee. He was married to Martha Patsy Stovall on 14 Jul 1806 in Sumner Co, TN. Martha Patsy Stovall was born on 8 Dec 1786 in VA. She died on 30 Nov 1844 in Sumner Co, TN. She was buried in Thurmond Cemetery. (See this lineage below.)
2. Polly "Mary" Thurmond. She was married to John Bailey on 13 Aug 1797 in Albemarle Co., VA. Moved to KY 1822.
3. Frances Thurmond was born in 1774 in VA. She died on 1 Dec 1818. She married John Mills.
4. John G. Thurmond was born in VA. * John G. moved to Sumner County, TN from GA, after the death of his mother Sarah. They lived in harmony until his father's second marriage. He could not get along with his father and stepmother Nancy. John G. then left Sumner County, TN. His father paid him $500.00 to leave and go back to GA so they could have peace in the family.
John Thurmond was married second to Nancy Gregory (Daughter of William A. Gregory and Mary "Polly" Epperson - See Gregory lineage.) on 5 Feb 1816 in Sumner Co., TN. Nancy Gregory died about 1832 in Sumner Co., TN. She was born in KY. John Thurmond was a lot older than his second wife Nancy Gregory. John and Nancy's second child, Nancy Ann, was born after John Thurmond wrote his will. John Thurmond's will (See John Thurmond's Will.) provided for his second wife Nancy Gregory Thurmond, 1st child, Mary Jane, by Nancy Gregory Thurman, and his mother-in-law Mary Gregory. John Thurmond had already provided for his children by his 1st wife, Sarah, before he wrote his will. He did leave in his will, $10.00 to be divided among children by his fist marriage. * (Nancy Gregory was a sister to my direct lineage, John Gregory.)
John Thurmond and Nancy Gregory had the following children:
1. Mary J. Thurmond was born in 1825 in Sumner Co., TN. She died about 1854 in Sumner Co., TN. She was married to Henry White on 2 Dec 1839 in Sumner Co., TN. Henry White was born in 1805 in VA. He died on 17 Jul 1884 in Sumner Co., TN.
2. Nancy Ann Thurmond was born in 1826 in Sumner Co., TN.
Fleming Goosberry Thurmond (Son of John and Sarah Goolsby Thurmond) and Martha Patsy Stovall had the following children:
1. James Monroe Thurmond was born in 1807.
2. Hasten D. Thurmond was born in 1808. He died before 1863. He was married to Ann Miller (Daughter of John Miller) on 26 Feb 1830 in Sumner Co, TN. (See this lineage below.)
3. Lucinda Thurmond. She married James Key.
4. Sarah Thurmond. She married S. T. Harris.
5. Cassieway G. Thurmond. She married E. Donelson. (Went to Gibson County, TN.)
6. Harriett H. Thurmond. She married John S. Zollicoffer. (Went to Gibson County, TN.)
7. Mary Elizabeth Thurmond. She married Parker D. Crimm. (Went to Gibson County, TN.)
8. Malinda Thurmond was born on 6 Jul 1817 in Sumner Co, TN. She died on 12 Apr 1826 in Sumner Co, TN.
9. Alfred D. Thurmond was born in 1824. He died in 1904 in Sumner Co, TN.
10. Martha Thurmond was born on 5 Sep 1825. She died on 24 Aug 1826 in Sumner Co, TN.
* Fleming G. Thurmond lived 1/2 mile from his father John, married to second wife, until his father's death.
Hasten D. Thurmond (Son of Fleming Goosberry and Martha Patsy Stovall Thurmond) and Ann Miller had the following children:
1. John G. Thurmond was born in 1831.
2. Calfurnia Thurmond. She married Thomas C. Wilhite.
3. Luverna Thurmond. She married J. F. Rutledge.
4. Martha Thurmond was born in 1836.
5. George B. (Green) Thurmond. He married Harriett Gaines.
6. Malvina Thurmond. She married William E. Hines.
7. Skelton T. Thurmond. He married Samantha G. Crews. He married 2nd Margaret Carr.
8. Janus Thurmond.
Sources found in Sumner County:
Sumner County Loose Records - Lawsuits -Case# 4218, G. B. Thurman vs. J. F. Rutledge et al; Case# 6626, John Thurmond Dec'd Report, 1828; Estates # 70, John Thurmond (original will and lawsuits included); Lawsuits Case# 4217, P. D. Crim et al vs. Skelton Thurman; Lawsuits Case# 907, H. D. Thurmon Sale (names all of F. G. Thurman's children); Estate Case# 1875, Fleming G. Thurman, Gibson County, TN, D. Crim administered all the paper work on Fleming G. Thurman, 1867, book H, page 339, Feb. Term 1870; Lawsuits Case# 324, Logan D. Key et al vs. William Stovall, Bartholomew Stovall, dec'd 1854, (shows Martha Patsy Thurmond as Barthololew Stoval's daughter), Cassieway and E. Donelson in Gibson Co., TN, Harriett H. and John Zollicoffer in Maury Co., TN, Mary Elizabeth and Parker D. Crim in Gibson Co., TN; Lawsuits Case# 6417, John Miller, dec'd Report; Sumner County Census Records; Alexander Funeral Home Records; Sumner County Cemetery Records; Sumner County Marriage Records; Sumner County Wills: Lucinda Key & James Key; DAR Membership Roster and Soldiers - 1894-1960 - published by, The TN Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution - Bartholomew Stoval No. 356453 page 1481 & 1482; John Thurmond, DAR - No. 405668; Sumner County Loose Records, Lawsuits Case# 6417, John Miller dec'd report - John Miller died Feb 1841, children named: James, Jesse, Henry, Simon, John, Willis, George, Barlary, Ann, Polly, and Sally; Alexander Funeral Home, vol. 7, page 33 Skelton T. Thurman's death record; Sumner County Loose Records, Chancery Court Packets Case# 15203 O. D. Thurman et al vs. Peyton Williams; Sumner County Census Records; and Sumner County Marriage Records.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids