Submitted by: Linda Carpenter
William Newton SWAFFORD was born in Jun 1834 in Hall County, GA. He died on 28 Dec 1900 *(Death Certificate), Stewarts Ferry in Davidson Co., TN. He was married to Julian "Julia" A. J. HALES/HALE on 21 Dec 1852 in Gilmer Co., GA. Julian "Julia" A. J. HALES was born in Dec 1837 in GA. (daughter of William Green Hales and L. ?) She died on 30 Jul 1912.
William Newton SWOFFORD and Julian "Julia" A. J. HALES had the following children:
1. William Thomas "Tom" SWAFFORD was born in May 1855 in Pickens Co., GA. He died after 1920 in Wilson Co., TN. He was buried in Swafford/Hurt Cemetery, Wilson Co., TN. He was married to Mary Caroline "Calline" Nell HURT (daughter of Josiah HURT and Mary L. BAKER) on 20 Dec 1877 in Davidson Co., TN. Mary Caroline "Calline" Nell HURT was born in 1863. She died after 1920. (Parts of this research by Ray Swafford. Documents researched by me: funeral home records, Davidson County and Wilson County marriage records, newspaper obituaries, census records, and deeds.)
2. Sara F. "Fannie" SWAFFORD was born in 1856 in GA. She died in 1892 in Wilson Co., TN. She was married to James R. MCKNIGHT (son of William "Bill" J. MCKNIGHT and Martha A. STEVENSON) on 6 Aug 1871 in Davidson Co., TN. James R. MCKNIGHT was born in 1850 in TN. The Death Certificate of James R. McKnight listed his birth date as unknown. The birth date 1850 is on his tombstone. He was buried in Feb 1921 in Rutland Cemetery, Mt. Juliet, Wilson Co., TN. He died on 28 Feb 1921 in Wilson Co., TN. (This is my direct lineage.)
3. Julia A. SWAFFORD was born in 1857 in Pickens Co., GA.
4. Sarah J. O. SWAFFORD was born in 1859 in Pickens Co., GA.
5. John B. D. SWAFFORD was born in 1859 in Pickens Co., GA.
6. Arminda Jane SWAFFORD was born on 18 Aug 1867. She died on 17 Jan 1953 in Davidson Co., TN. She was buried on 19 Jan 1953 in Dorris Cemetery, Sumner Co., TN. She was married to James B. LANE. She was married to James W. HAGER. She was married to Robert DUNN. *(See Arminda's Lineage.)
7. Robert E. Lee SWAFFORD was born in Jun 1870.
8. Andrew Jackson SWAFFORD was born on 10 Oct 1872 in Wilson Co., TN. He died on 6 Aug 1952 in Cushman, Independence Co., AR. He was buried in Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Independence, Jackson Co., AR. He was married to Elizabeth "Lizzie" SANDS (daughter of George SANDS and Nettie BAKER) on 8 Jan 1894 in Wilson Co., TN. Elizabeth "Lizzie" SANDS was born on 22 Sep 1874 in TN. She died on 15 May 1925 in Sumner Co., TN. Lizzie Sands Swafford's Death Certificate vol. 62-145 provided a lot of information. Andrew Jackson Swafford, her husband, was the informant. She was buried in Sands Graveyard, , Wilson Co., TN. He was married to Florence Lemandy EVERETT (daughter of William EVERETT) in Lapanto, Poinsett Co., AR. Florence Lemandy EVERETT was born on 1 Jan 1909 in Lapanto, Poinsett Co., AR. She died on 5 Jan 1974 in Searcy, White Co., AR. She was buried in Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Independence, Jackson Co., AR. (Parts of this research from Ray Swafford.)
9. George Asberry SWAFFORD was born on 21 Aug 1873. He died on 1 Aug 1961 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He was buried on 3 Aug 1961 in Dorris Cemetery, Sumner Co., TN. He was married to Susie NORTHCUTT. Susie NORTHCUTT was born on 9 Jun 1894. She died on 15 Jun 1967. She was buried in Dorris Cemetery, Sumner Co., TN. *See George Asberry photo.
10. Lennie Kansas SWAFFORD was born in 1877. She was married to Walter REED on 21 Jul 1895 in Wilson Co., TN.
11. Julia M. SWAFFORD was born on 20 Jan 1875 in Wilson Co., TN. She died 23 Dec 1958 in Sumner Co., TN. She was buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery in Wilson Co., TN. She was married to Joseph Richard GILBERT in 1897. Joseph Richard GILBERT was born in Jan 1877. He died on 30 Mar 1942 in Wilson Co., TN. He was buried on 31 Mar 1942 in Cedar Grove Cemetery, Wilson Co., TN.
Alexander Funeral Home Record:
Full Name: Julia S. Gilbert
Date of Death: Dec 23, 1958
Place of Death: Cummins Lane
Birthplace: Wilson Co., TN
Date of Birth: Jan 20, 1875
Color, Sex: Female, White
Marital Status: Widowed
Name of Spouse: (*Joseph Richard Gilbert)
Name of Father: Andrew Swafford (*William N. Swafford)
Maiden Name of Mother: Unknown (*Julian Hales)
Physician: Dr. C. D. Giles
Informant: Mrs. Leonard Wilson, Gallatin
Date, Time, Place of Service: Dec 26, 1958, 1 pm, chapel
Name of Cemetery: Cedar Groves, Wilson Co., TN
Dec. 24, 1958 - Portland Leader, Sumner Co., TN
Rites Held Friday For Mrs. Joe Gilbert
Funeral services for Mrs. Joe Gilbert, 83, of Gallatin were held Friday at 1 p.m. at Alexander Funeral Home in Gallatin. Hall Crowder, pastor of Gallatin Church of Christ, officiated and burial was In Cedar Grove Cemetery, Lebanon. Mrs. Gilbert, the former Miss Julia Swafford, died Wednesday Dec. 24, at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Leonard Wilson, Route 1, Gallatin. She was a native of Wilson County, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Swafford. She had lived in Gallatin for the last three years. She was a member of the Church of Christ. In addition to Mrs. Wilson, survivors include, another daughter, Mrs. Frank Owen, Nashville; a son, Charlie Gilbert, Gallatin; and a brother, Ausbury Swafford, Nashville.
Widow's Pension - General Affidavit Lists:
State Of GA, County of Pickens
Julia A. Hailes/Hales & William Newton Swafford married Dec 21st 1843, by Jas. Parlin
Subscribing witnesses: Wm. H. Hales & Nancy Hales - Ludville, Pickens County, GA
*(See William Henderson Hales' Obit.)
(Selected Census Records)
1850 Hall County, GA Census - 64-64
Swafford, Thomas - 47 - m - farmer - GA - 100
Swafford, A. - 45 - f - GA
Swafford, W. - 16 - m - labor - GA (William Newton Swafford)
Swafford, G. - 12 - m - GA
Swafford, M. A. - 10 - f - GA
Swafford, C. T. - 8 - f - GA
Swafford, J. S. P. - m - 5 - GA
Swafford, T. V. - 3 - m - GA
Swafford, M. J. - 9/12 - f - GA
1850 Hall County, GA Census -49-49
William G. Hale - 43 - M - Farmer - 75 - GA
Hale, L. - 41 - F - GA
Hale, William H. - 18 - M - Laborer - GA
Hale, J. E. - 15 - M - GA
Hale, J. A. - 12 - F - GA
Hale, M. R. - 11 - M - GA
Hale, S. R. - 9 - F - GA
Hale, W. A. - 8 - M - GA
Hale, M. - 6 - F - GA
Hale, J. - 4 - M - GA
Hale, R. - 2 - M - GA
1860 Census Pickens County, GA
Swafford, William - 24 m - farmer - GA
Swafford, Julia A. J. - 25 - f - GA
Swafford, William T. - 5 - m - GA
Swafford, Sarah F. - 4 - f - GA
Swafford, Julia A. - 3 - f - GA
Swafford, Sarah J. O. - 3/12 - f - GA
Swafford, John B. D. - 10/12 - m - GA
1880 Wilson County, TN Census:
Swafford, W. N. - mw - 46 - Laborer - GA
Swafford, Julian - wf - 43 - wife - keeping house - GA
Swafford, A. Jane - wf - daughter - 13 - TN
Swafford, Robert - wm - 9 - son - TN
Swaffrod, A. Jackson - wm - 6 - son - TN
Swafford, Lennie Kansas - wf - 3 - daughter - TN
1900 Davidson County Census - 16th District - Household
Swafford, William - head, wm, June, 1824, 75, m56
Swafford, Julia - wife, wf, Dec, 1827, 72, m56
Swafford, Asberry - son, wm, Aug, 1882, 17, s
Gilbert, Julia - daughter, wf, May, 1877, 21, m3
Gilbert, Joseph B. - son-in-law, wm, Jan, 1878, 22, m3
Gilbert, Willie - grandson, wm, May, 1899, 2, s
McKnight, Edward - grandson, wm, Oct, 1892, 7, s
1910 Sumner County Census - 4th District - Household
Swafford, Robert - head, mw, 40, s
Swafford, Julia - mother, fw, 82, wd
Amanda Jane Swofford Dunn-Saturday morning at 11:40 o'clock, Jan. 17, 1953, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. N. A. Hall, 134 Foster St., Mrs. Arminda Dunn, age 85 years. Survived by daughter, Mrs. N. A. Hall; sons, G. K. Lane, Goodlettsville, Charlie A. Lane, Columbus, Ohio; 14 grandchildren; 43 great-grandchildren; seven great-great-grandchildren; sister, Mrs. Julia Ann Gilbert, Louisville, Ky.; brothers, Robert and Asberry Swafford, Nashville, Andrew Swafford, Little Rock, Ark. Remains are at the home of daughter as above. Funeral services Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at White Hill Baptist Church, conducted by Rev. Carl Walker. Pallbearers (illegible) Interment Dorris Cemetery, Sumner County. Cole & Garrett Funeral Home.
Swafford-Tuesday morning August 1, 1961, at a local infirmary. George Swafford, age 81, survived by wife Mrs. Susie Northcutt Swafford. Three daughters, Mrs. Florence Houchin, Mrs. Nancy Norris, and Mrs. Irene Cook, all of Nashville. Five sons, Charlie Swafford, Joe Swafford, Roy Swafford and Houston Swafford all of Nashville and Edward Swafford , Franklin, Tenn. Remains were at his home, NO. Dickson St. where funeral services were conducted Thursday morning at 9:30 o'clock by Rev. Edward Minor. Active pallbearers: Floyd Frey, Edward Myers, Benny Houchins, Joe Swafford, Floyd Nanney, and Robert McKnight. Interment Denson Cemetery. Ridge Top, Tenn. Phillips Robinson Co. Directors.
Joseph Richard Gilbert-Monday morning March 30, 1942 at 5:30 o'clock at a local infirmary. Joseph Richard Gilbert, age 65. Survived by wife, Mrs. Julia Swafford Gilbert.; daughters, Mrs. Mattie Owens, Mrs. Katie Wilson,; sons, Charlie and Willie Gilbert,; brothers, Harris, John, George and Bob Gilbert,; sister, Mrs. Kattie Davis. Remains are at the Cole & Garrett Funeral Home, Goodlettsville, where will be conveyed Tuesday morning March 31 at 9:30 o'clock to Cedar Grove Cemetery, Lebanon, where Funeral services will be conducted at 11 o'clock.
The Nashville Tennessean
Thomas Jefferson Swafford, who turned 104 his last birthday, July 22, died Tuesday at Bordeaux Hospital where he had been a patient for the last 15 years. Services will be at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Pettus-Owen and Wood Funeral Home. The Rev. M. E. Smith, pastor of Bellshire Baptist Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Woodlawn Memorial Park. Mr. Swafford lived at 1213 Second Ave., N., before his hospitalization. For many years he fired bricks at Bush's Brickyard in North Nashville and later worked for Pure Oil Co. before his retirement. He married the former Ella Florence McCrary. She died in 1959. He is survived by a son, William Swafford Sr. of Dickson, Tenn., three daughters, Amy Peacher, Pleasantview, Tenn., Mary Donnelly and Dorothy Deardroff, Nashville; 30 grandchildren; 70 great-grandchildren, and 12
John L. Swafford-His full name is Robert Ervin Henry Samuel John L. Sullivan Swafford, but it is believed he used Robert L. Swafford most of the time. On his funeral home record, it was John L. Swafford, age 84 years, of 4031 Marydale Dr., Nashville, died Friday evening Aug. 13, 1976 at a local hospital. He was a Stone Setter by occupation. Survived by wife, Mrs. Fannie Mai Swafford, Nashville; daughter, Mrs. Geneva French, Middleton, CA.; sons, Noel Swafford, Nashville, James H. Swafford, Vallejo, CA.,; brother, Thomas Swafford, Nashville. He had 20 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren. Remains are at the Cole & Garrett Funeral Home, Goodlettsville, where services will be conducted Monday afternoon Aug. 16, at 2 o'clock by Rev. Alfred R. Organ. Friends will serve as Pallbearers. Interment Beech Cemetery. Cole & Garrett Funeral Home.
Mrs. Fannie Swafford-homemaker, 82. Services for Mrs. Fannie Mae Bolton Swafford, 82, were to be held today at Cole & Garrett funeral home in Goodlettsville. Burial was to be in Beech Cemetery in the Shackle Island community in Sumner County. Mrs. Swafford died Tuesday in Nashville Memorial Hospital in Madison after a long illness. The Rev. Al Organ was to officiate at the funeral. Mrs. Swafford was a native of Davidson County and a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Bolton. She was married to John L. Swafford, who died in 1976. She was a Baptist. Survivors include two sons, W. N. Swafford of Nashville and James H. Swafford of California; a daughter, Geneva French of California; a stepbrother, Alonzo Bolton of Old Hickory; a sister, Almeda French of Nashville; 21 grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren.
Wilson County, TN Deeds.
John and D. G. Crudup to William Swofford, 25 District, Wilson Co., TN, 10 Acres, March 13, 1886-Book U-2, Pages 553-554
John and Dempsey G. Crudup to William Swofford, 25 District, Wilson County, TN, 15 Acres, Nov. 10, 1886-Book V-2, Pages 561-562 (See Crudup, John & Dempsey G. to William Swafford, 1886 - Wilson Co., TN.)
William Swofford and his wife, Julian to S. E. Radford, a tract of land in the 25 district, 15 Acres, Feb. 11, 1888-Book Y-2, Pages 187-188, Wilson County, TN. (See Swafford, William & Wife to S. E. Radford, 1888 - Wilson Co., TN)
*See Crudup, J. & D. G. to Mrs. Fannie McKnight, 1883 - Wilson Co., TN.
The "family Bible" of Andrew Jackson Swafford recorded that William Swafford died 12/28/1900. A copy of his death certificate confirms this date and he died in Davidson County, TN, probably in the city of Nashville. Julia A. Swafford died 7/30/1912, probably in Davidson County, TN. The 1900 census indicated that William and Julian had fourteen children but only seven were living at that time, The names of eleven children were listed in the various census records. There is an inconsistency with the ages of William and Julian Hales Swofford between the 1880 census and the 1900 census. The repeat of some of the children's names has not yet been explained. (Parts of this research from Ray Swafford.)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids