Andrew McGlothlin was born April 6, 1801 in Sumner County, Tennessee, one of Joseph McGlothlin, Sr's seven children. Andrew married Jemima Gilbert, daughter of John and Elizabeth Gilbert March 9, 1822, in Sumner County. Jemima was born in Virginia about 1806. Twelve or thirteen children were born to Andrew and Jemima.
Andrew lived for more than fifty years on fifty acres of land in Sumner County given to him by his father, Joseph McGlothlin, Sr. Jemima apparently died between the 1860 and the 1870 census. She is probably buried on the McGlothlin farm since there is a graveyard on the property. By 1880, Andrew and some of his children had moved from Sumner County to Cass County, Missouri, where he lived the remainder of his life. Andrew sold his fifty acre farm in Sumner County in 1882. He died in Cass County, Missouri, March 30, 1883, and was buried at Union Baptist Cemetery, Pleasant Hill, Cass County, Missouri.
Andrew and Jemima (Gilbert) McGlothlin's children were:
1. Mary McGlothlin, born ca 1823, no other information. Mary McGlothlin was age 27 on the 1850 census of Sumner County enumerated in the household of her parents. Living in the household with Andrew on the 1870 census of Sumner Co. was forty-six year old Mary Turner with a twelve year old daughter. Mary Turner is the right age to be Andrew and Jemima's daughter. If Mary Turner was not Mary McGlothlin, then another possibility is Mary McGlothlin was the Mary McGlathlen who married Cain Mahoney March 25,1860 in Weakley Co. TN. Two of Mary McGlothlin's brothers resided in Weakley Co. TN in 1860.
2. Nancy A. (Nannie) McGlothlin, born ca 1825, Sumner Co. TN, married William B. Payne in Sumner Co. September 7, 1854. They lived in Robertson Co. TN 1860, Weakley Co. TN 1870, Madison Co. TN 1880. William's occupation was brick mason, and Nannie ran a boarding house when they lived in Jackson, Madison Co. TN. Nannie died between 1880 and 1900 probably in Madison Co. William B. Payne was born in February 1826 TN, died in Madison Co. August 25, 1885. He is buried at Riverside Cemetery, Jackson, Madison Co. TN. Nannie and William had two daughters, Elizabeth and Dora Payne.
3. Joseph L. McGlothlin, born April 10, 1829, Sumner Co. TN, married Henrietta M. Fonville in Weakley Co. TN February 26, 1856. Henrietta was born August 27, 1838 in TN, the daughter of John B. and Emeline Fonville. Joseph served as County Clerk and County Judge of Weakley Co. Henrietta died in Weakley Co. December 6, 1902. Joseph died in Weakley Co. August 29, 1907. Joseph and Henrietta are buried at Sunset Cemetery, Dresden, Weakley Co. They were parents of two children, John L. McGlothlin and Elizabeth McGlothlin. John L. McGlothlin was born September 12, 1857, died September 15, 1892 Weakley Co. TN, married Laura Fonville December 1, 1881, Wilson Co. TN. John L. and Laura are buried at Cedar Grove Cemetery, Wilson Co. TN. Elizabeth McGlothlin was born January 19, 1862, died January 15, 1887, married James A. Moody July 21, 1885, Weakley Co. Elizabeth is buried at Sunset Cemetery, Dresden, Weakley Co.
4. Martha E. McGlothlin, born December 31, 1830, Sumner Co. TN, married Pleasant Isaac Newton Longacre in Sumner Co. April 8, 1873. Pleasant was born October 6, 1830, Jefferson Co. TN, to Richard M. and Elizabeth Longacre. Pleasant and Martha resided in Cass Co. MO 1880. Martha died from malaria fever September 3, 1887 near East Lynne in Cass Co. MO. She is buried at Staley-Mound Cemetery, Cass Co. Pleasant died in Cass Co. November 27, 1892, he is buried at Union Baptist Cemetery. Martha and Pleasant Longacre had no children.
5. Andrew McGlothlin, born ca 1834, Sumner Co. TN. Andrew was age 18 on the 1850 Sumner Co. TN census enumerated in the household of his father. The 1860 Weakley Co. TN census lists an A. McGoflin, age 26, living near Joseph L. McGlothlin, who was Andrew's brother. There was an A. J. McGlothlin of Sumner Co. TN who enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861. He died March 10, 1863 at Silliman Hospital, Clinton, Feliciana Parish, Louisiana. Burial was probably in a mass grave at the Clinton Confederate Cemetery. It is believed that A. J. McGlothlin was Andrew McGlothlin, son of Andrew and Jemima, although this has not been verified.
6. Louisa C. McGlothlin, born January 8, 1835, Sumner Co. TN, married James W. Taylor in Sumner Co. November 24, 1863. James was born October 14, 1833 TN to Andrew and Julia Taylor. Louisa and James lived in Simpson Co. KY 1870, they were in Cass Co. MO with other members of her family in 1880. In 1883, they moved from Cass Co. MO to Wichita, Sedgwick Co. KS. Louisa died in Wichita, KS August 8, 1902. James died in Wichita, KS January 16, 1912. They are buried at Maple Grove Cemetery, Wichita, KS. Louisa and James were parents of two sons, Adalask (Ad) Taylor and Arwood C. Taylor. Ad was born September 1865 TN, married Alma Dora Veatch January 2, 1890 Sedgwick Co. KS. Ad and Alma Dora were parents of ten children. Arwood was born March 1870 KY, married Viola Woolcott January 28, 1894 Sedgwick Co. KS. They had two children, Lloyd and Floyd Taylor. Arwood married #2 Mrs. Goldie Martin. Arwood C. Taylor died in Wichita, KS November 30, 1961, age 91. He is buried at White Chapel Memorial Gardens, Wichita, KS.
7. John F. McGlothlin, born July 1838, Sumner Co. TN, married Mrs. Rebecca Patience (Darden) Payne June 12, 1870, Weakley Co. TN. Rebecca was born November 1845 TN to Jesse and Jane Darden. Rebecca died in Weakley County July 17, 1908 and John died about four months later on November 10, 1908 at his home in Gleason, Weakley Co. Their only child, an infant son, was born and died February 12, 1880. He is buried at Hopewell Cemetery, Gleason, Weakley Co. There is no cemetery record in Weakley Co. for John or Rebecca. Rebecca had a child, Maggie Payne, from her previous marriage to Dixon Payne. Maggie died young and is buried at Hopewell Cemetery, Gleason, Weakley Co.
8. James P. McGlothlin, born October 1841, Sumner Co. TN. James moved from Sumner Co. to Cass Co. MO between 1870 and 1880. He lived in Cass Co. with his sister and brother-in-law, James W. and Louisa Taylor in 1880. In 1900, James resided in a boarding house in Wichita, Sedgwick Co. KS. His sister and brother-in-law, Louisa and James Taylor, and their two sons Ad and Arwood also were in Wichita, Sedgwick Co. in 1900. James was not married.
9. Dallas McGlothlin, born about 1842, Sumner Co. TN. Dallas was age 8 on the 1850 Sumner Co. TN census in the household with Andrew and Jemima. Dallas does not appear on a census after 1850. He possibly died young and was buried in the graveyard on the McGlothlin family farm.
10. William McGlothlin, born about 1844, Sumner Co. TN. William is not on the 1850 census of Sumner Co., he is listed on the 1860 Sumner Co. TN census with Andrew and Jemima, age 16. William and Dallas could be the same person.
11. Charlotte (Lottie) McGlothlin, born August 1847, Sumner Co. TN. Charlotte married David A. Glunt in Sumner Co. TN May 3, 1872. David was born July 1845 PA. They lived in Cass Co. MO 1880, and in Los Angeles, CA 1900. Charlotte died between the 1900 and the 1910 census, presumably in Los Angeles Co. David was still in Los Angeles Co. 1910 and 1920. Charlotte and David had no children. Her niece, Maud Tribble, lived with them in 1900.
12. Thomas McGlothlin, born about 1850, Sumner Co. TN. Thomas was six months old on the 1850 census of Sumner Co. in the household of Andrew and Jemima. Thomas does not appear on the 1860 Sumner Co. census. He possibly died between 1850 and 1860 and was buried in the family graveyard.
13. Lillian Huntley McGlothlin, born about 1851, Sumner Co. TN. Lillian married John Tribble in Sumner Co. November 5, 1876. John was born May, 1851 TN. Lillian and John lived in Sumner Co.1880 with their two-year-old son, Clarence. The Maud Tribble who in 1900 was in Los Angeles, CA with Charlotte and David Glunt was perhaps the daughter of Lillian and John Tribble. In 1900 and 1910, John is widowed and living in Simpson Co. KY. It is presumed that the John Tribble who was born May 7, 1852 and died January 15, 1924, buried in Shady Grove Cemetery, Simpson Co. KY, was the husband of Lillian Huntley McGlothlin.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids