James R. MCKNIGHT, (son of William "Bill" J. MCKNIGHT and Martha A. STEVENSON), was born in 1850 in TN. The death certificate of James R. McKnight listed his birth date as unknown. The birth date 1850 is on his tombstone. He was buried in Feb 1921 in Rutland Cemetery, Mt. Juliet, Wilson Co., TN. He died on 28 Feb 1921 in Wilson Co., TN. He was married to Sara F. "Fannie" SWOFFORD (daughter of William Newton SWOFFORD and Julian "Julia" A. J. HALES) on 6 Aug 1871 in Davidson Co., TN. Sara F. "Fannie" SWOFFORD was born in 1856 in GA. She died in 1892 in Wilson Co., TN. (See Stevenson, Farmer, & McKnight Lineage.)
James R. MCKNIGHT and Sara F. "Fannie" SWOFFORD had the following children:
1. Martha MCKNIGHT was born in 1872 in TN. She was married to ? CAMBELL.
2. Sidney MCKNIGHT was born in 1875 in Wilson Co., TN. He died on 7 Oct 1960 in Madison, Davidson Co., TN. He was buried on 10 Oct 1960 in Spring Hill Cemetery, Madison, Davidson Co., TN. He was married to Myrtle MARTIN (daughter of Henry MARTIN) on 25 Apr 1897 in Davidson Co., TN. Myrtle MARTIN was born on 15 Jan 1883. She died on 2 Aug 1916. She was buried in John Melvin Cemetery, , Wilson Co., TN.
Sidney McKnight married three more times. There was no issues from these marriages. He married a Norah Price, Hattie ?, and Lillie ?.
(Obituary) Sidney McKnight-Friday afternoon October 7, 1960 at the home of his daughter, 121 Neely's Bend Road, Madison. Sidney McKnight age 88 years. Survived by wife Lillie McKnight, Nashville. Daughters, Mrs. Thomas E. James, Mt. Juliet, Mrs. G. W. Hill, Madison, sons; R. B. McKnight, Madison, Arthur McKnight, Goodlettsville, and James McKnight, Nashville. Five grandchildren. The remains are at the Madison Funeral Home, 219 Old Hickory Blvd., where services will be held Monday afternoon at 2p.m. by Ira North. Nephews will serve as pallbearers. Interment Spring Hill Cemetery, Madison Funeral Directors.
3. Dave Stevenson MCKNIGHT Sr. was born on 12 Jun 1876 in Wilson Co., TN. He died on 12 Jul 1960 in Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. He was buried on 13 Jul 1960 in Crestview Memorial Park, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. He was married to Rebecca Lucinda PRESLEY (daughter of James PRESLEY and Alice JOHNSON) on 30 Dec 1901 in Sumner Co., TN. Rebecca Lucinda PRESLEY was born on 15 Apr 1887 in Sumner Co., TN. She died on 4 Aug 1968 in Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. She was buried in Crestview Memorial Park, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN.
(Obituary) David Stevenson McKnight Sr.-Retired Gallatin contractor, died yesterday morning at his home after a long illness. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. today at Harris-Donoho Funeral Home, with Rev. Shugart Martin officiating. Burial will be in Crestview Memorial Park. Mr. McKnight was a native of Wilson County, TN. He was a son of James McKnight and Fannie Swofford McKnight. He is survived by his widow Lucinda Presley McKnight, a daughter, Mrs. Ola Taylor, Nashville; five sons, Roger W. McKnight, Lebanon, David S. McKnight Jr., Chattanooga, TN., Henry, James, and Homer McKnight all of Gallatin. Three sisters; Mrs. Manda Thompson, Mrs. Mary Horton, Mrs. Martha Campbell all of Nashville. Two brothers; Sidney and Eddie McKnight also of Nashville and 19 Grandchildren.
4. Eddie MCKNIGHT was born on 12 Oct 1884 in Wilson Co., TN. He died on 15 Feb 1966 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He was buried on 18 Feb 1966 in Spring Hill Cemetery, Madison, Davidson Co., TN. He was married to Nora THOMPSON. He was married to Mary Magdalene PRATER (daughter of Robert PRATER and Maggie COOK) on 6 Nov 1918. Mary Magdalene PRATER was born on 25 Sep 1898. She died on 11 Apr 1978 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. She was buried on 13 Apr 1978 in Spring Hill Cemetery, Madison, Davidson Co., TN.
(Obituary) Eddie McKnight-Services for Eddie McKnight ,81, of 1624 Ninth Avenue N., retired construction worker, will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Buena Vista Funeral Home. The Rev. L. A. DeVault, pastor of Russell Street Holiness Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Spring Hill Cemetery. Mr. McKnight died Tuesday at his residence after an extended illness. He was a native of Wilson Co., TN. In 1918 he married the former Miss Mary Prater, who survives. Mr. McKnight was a member of the Holiness Faith. Also surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Mary M. Bentley, Mrs. Myrtle Barnes, both of Nashville; and Mrs. Annie Cordell, Kerns, Utah; four sons, Robert E. McKnight, James R. McKnight, Eugene McKnight and Darvel McKnight, all of Nashville; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Horton and Mrs. Minda Thompson, both of Nashville; 21 Grandchildren; and 14 Great-grandchildren.
(Obituary) Mrs. Mary Prater McKnight-Age 82 years, Tuesday evening April 11, 1978 at a local infirmary. Survived by daughters; Mrs. Myrtle Barnes, Mrs. Mary Bentley, Nashville. Mrs. Annie Hanson, Salt Lake City, Utah. Sons; Darvel, James Robert and Eugene McKnight all of Nashville. Eighteen grandchildren. Sister; Mrs. Mattie Martin, Nashville. Remains are at the Buena Vista Funeral Home Inc. 3634 Clarksville Highway where services will be held Thursday at 2 p.m. conducted by Rev. J. T. Hart. Active pallbearers will be her friends. Interment Spring Hill Cemetery. Bratten & Martin Directors.
5. Joe MCKNIGHT was born in 1885 in Wilson Co., TN. He died in 1952 in Wilson Co., TN. He was buried in Mt. Juliet Cemetery, Mt. Juliet, Wilson Co., TN.
6. Minda MCKNIGHT was born in 1888 in Wilson Co., TN. She died after 1920. She was married to Hands THOMPSON. Hands THOMPSON was born in 1882. He died after 1920.
7. Mary Elizabeth MCKNIGHT was born on 8 Apr 1889 in Wilson Co., TN. She died on 23 May 1986 in Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. She was buried on 25 May 1986 in Crestview Memorial Park, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. She was married to Jesse HORTON (son of King David HORTON and Nancy Jane WELCH) on 21 Dec 1907 in Sumner Co., TN. Jesse HORTON was born on 1 Jun 1885 in Smith Co., TN. He died on 16 May 1942 in Davidson Co., TN. He was buried on 17 May 1942 in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, Nashville, Davidson Co., TN.
(Obituary) Mary Elizabeth Horton Ferguson -Services for Mary Elizabeth Horton Ferguson 97, were held Sunday, l:30 p.m. at Alexander Funeral Home. Burial was at Crestview Memorial Park. Mrs. Ferguson died May 23 at Sumner Memorial Hospital. Born April 8, 1889, she was a native of Wilson County but resided in Gallatin. She was the daughter of the late James McKnight and the late Fannie Swafford McKnight. Mrs. Ferguson was the wife of the late Jesse Horton and the late Will Ferguson, and mother of son Billy Horton, deceased, and daughter Ada Bentley, deceased. She is survived by two sons, Frank W. Horton and James A. Horton, both of Gallatin, and six daughters, Maggie Burke, Carolyn Butler, Jessie Davis, Hazel Dement, Lucille Horton, all of Nashville, and Mildred Ray of Franklin.
(Obituary) Jess Horton, 56, who lives at the rear of 44 Middleton Street, became the seventh traffic fatality when he was killed instantly by an automobile last night 150 feet north of Middleton Street on Hermitage Avenue shortly after 9:00 p.m. The car, according to police was driven by Joe Gilmore Pruitt, 33, of 60 Hermitage Avenue. Horton, according to investigators, had started to cross from the east side to the west side of Hermitage Avenue with his 11 year old son and was approximately 1 foot from the curb when hit. The son, Archie Horton, saw the auto and leaped back onto the curbing in order to keep from being struck, police said. The impact of the collision threw Horton 37 feet. The father was caring a sack of meal and a bottle of buttermilk, both of which were scattered along the gutter. The car traveled 129 feet after striking Horton, according to officials. Horton was pronounced dead upon arrival at nearby General Hospital. Death was attributed to a broken neck. He also sustained abrasions and bruises about the face and body. Investigating officers included; Police Chief John Griffin, Safety Director R. W. Jett Homicide Sgt. Martin Stephens, Motorcycle Patrolman W. E. Nannie, and Homicide Patrolman Robert Kimbro and C. D. Mundy.
Funeral services for Jess Horton, 56, who was killed Saturday night when struck by an automobile on Hermitage Avenue, will be conducted this afternoon at 2:30 p.m. at the Amos Bracey Funeral Home by Elder Leo Boles. Burial will be in MT. Olive Cemetery. Mr. Horton, who lived at 44 Middleton Street, was struck shortly after 9:00 p.m. by an automobile which police said was driven by Joe Gilmore Pruitt, 33, of 60 Hermitage Avenue. The accident occurred a few feet north of the Middleton-Hermitage intersection. Pruitt was free last night on $1,000 bond charged with manslaughter. Surviving Mr. Horton are his widow, Mrs. Mary Horton; sons, Frank and Archie Horton; daughters, Mrs. Maggie Burke, Mrs. Ada Bentley, Mrs. Carolyn Butler, Misses Lucile, Hazel, and Mildred Horton; brothers, George, Albert, and Clarence Horton, all of this city, Willie Horton of Chestnut Mound and Walter Horton of Cadiz, KY; sisters Mrs. G. W. Saunders, and Mrs. Jim Jarrett of Nashville, and Mrs. Robert Gilbert of Franklin and one grandchild.
8. Fanny Nora MCKNIGHT.
9. Jane MCKNIGHT.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids