William Green HALES was born in 1807 in GA. (Birth from 1850 Hall Co., GA Census.)
Notes for WILLIAM G. HALES by Dawna Carlton:
There are alot of discrepancies between the ages on census records of William G. Hales children and dates on death records. William Henderson Hale is listed as 18 years old on the 1850 census records for Hall County, Georgia, but on his obit his age is listed as 104. If the age on 1850 census record was right he would have only been 92 at time of death. John Paul Hales is listed as 15 on 1850 census Hall county Georgia, this would made him born 1835. On John Paul Hales headstone birth is listed 1829 and on his Civil War papers he is listed as born 1828. William Henderson Hales is listed as being married 1840 in his obit, but Pickens County marriage book has his marriage to Nancy as 1854 which seems to more reasonable date as John Paul Hales was married 1855 in same book. Our ancestors seem to have forgotten important dates. Maybe they just didn't always have a calendar handy out in the wilderness to keep up with dates!
William G. Hales has just a L. for his wife's name on 1850 census. On 1860 census he is married to a Melissa, but by 1870 he is married to a Lydia Akins who would be his last wife. From this last marriage there seems to have been born one son who was named Benjamin on 1880 census he is in the household of Grandfather the father of Lydia. His parents William G. and Lydia are listed on a separate census not sure why unless his father was ill. William G. Hales I believe died shortly after 1880 census was taken. William G. Hales, according to family stories, sent three if his children to Kentucky after 1860 to keep them out of the Civil War; Jasper, Richard and a daughter.
L. was born in 1809 in GA. William Green HALES and L. had the following children:
1. William Henderson HALES was born on 7 May 1820 in Hall County, GA. He died on 24 Aug 1924 in Pickens Co., GA. He was buried in Jerusalem Cemetery, Pickens County, GA. *(See William Henderson Hales' Obit.)
William Henderson HALES and Nancy MCCREARY were married in 1840. William Henderson HALES and Nancy MCCREARY had the following children: William Martin HALES (born in 1869), Mary HALES (born in 1858), Martha J. HALES (born in 1871), Julia A. HALES (born in 1866), John HALES (born in 1861), Amanda HALES (born in 1863), and Lue Violet HALES (born in 1879).
2. John Paul HALES was born on 7 Mar 1829 in GA. John's marker in White Graves Church Cemetery Gordon County, Georgia. (Dawna) He died on 23 Oct 1910 in Gordon County, GA. He was buried in White Graves Church Cemetry, Gordon County, GA. John Paul HALES and Parthenia EUBANKS were married on 31 Mar 1855. Parthenia EUBANKS was born on 10 Jun 1838 in Cherokee County, GA. She died on 25 Nov 1926 in Gordon County, GA. She was buried in White Graves Church Cemetry, Gordon County, GA. John Paul HALES and Parthenia EUBANKS had the following children: Cynthia J. HALES (born in 1856), John Thomas J. HALES (born on 13 Dec 1857), Drayton Cunningham HALES (born on 9 Sep 1860 in GA), Rhoda Parthenia HALES (born on 21 Oct 1863 in GA), Martha Reed HALES (born on 4 Nov 1865), Vanburen Martin HALES - *See Photo (born on 1 Dec 1867), Silome Goode HALES (born on 24 Dec 1869), Robert Amon HALES (born on 11 Feb 1871 in GA), Jonathan T. Miles HALES (born on 19 Apr 1874), and Barbara Ann HALES (born in 1877 in GA).
3. Julian "Julia" A. J. HALES was born in Dec 1837 in GA. She died on 30 Jul 1912. Julian "Julia" A. J. HALES and William Newton SWOFFORD were married on 21 Dec 1852 in Gilmer Co., GA. William Newton SWOFFORD (son of Thomas SWOFFORD and Annie S.) was born in Jun 1834 in Hall County, GA. He died on 25 Dec 1900 in Stewarts Ferry, Davidson Co., TN. Julian "Julia" A. J. HALES and William Newton SWOFFORD had the following children: William Thomas "Tom" SWOFFORD (born in May 1855), Sara F. "Fannie" SWOFFORD (born in 1856), Julia A. SWOFFORD (born in 1857 in Pickens Co., GA), Sarah J. O. SWOFFORD (born in 1859 in Pickens Co., GA), John B. D. SWOFFORD (born in 1859 in Pickens Co., GA), Arminda Jane SWOFFORD (born on 18 Aug 1867), Robert E. Lee SWOFFORD (born in Jun 1870 in TN. He was buried in Hurt Cemetery. Buried at Hurt Cemetery.), Andrew Jackson SWOFFORD (born on 10 Oct 1872), Lennie Kansas SWOFFORD (born in 1877), Julia M. SWOFFORD (born in May 1879), and George Asberry SWOFFORD (born on 21 Aug 1882). *See William Newton & Julian (Hailes) Swafford Lineage.
4. Sarah R. "Sallie" HALES was born 25 Oct 1847 in GA. (Date on death certificate.) She died 11 Jan 1925 in Jefferson County, KY. She married ? Garr. Sallie HALES and ? GARR had a son, Samuel B. GARR (born in 1873 in KY).
5. Arabella HALES.
6. Joseph E. HALES was born on 17 Feb 1844 in GA. He died on 24 Mar 1928 in Jerusalem, Pickens County, GA. He married Mary Jane Atkins. She was born in 1852 in GA. Joseph E. HALES and Mary Jane Atkins had the following children: George Francis HALES (born on 2 Aug 1868) and John Pinkney HALES (born on 19 Jun 1869). *See Photo
Joseph E. HALES and Elizabeth ATKINS were married in 1872. 1910 Pickens Co., GA had them being married 38 years. Elizabeth ATKINS was born in Jul 1859 in GA. Joseph E. HALES and Elizabeth ATKINS had the following children: Amanda HALES was born in 1872 in GA, William Andrew HALES was born on 3 Jan 1875 in GA, Sarah HALES was born in 1876 in GA, James G. ? HALES was born in 1879 in GA, Marion HALES was born in Aug 1880 in GA, Thomas Green HALES was born on 10 Mar 1884 in GA, Dora HALES was born in Aug 1886 in GA, Lula HALES was born in Mar 1888 in GA, Lela HALES was born in Apr 1890 in GA, Laura HALES was born in Sep 1892 in GA, Vona HALES was born in Sep 1894 in GA, and Zona HALES was born in Apr 1899 in GA.
7. Warren A. HALES.
8. Richard Bryan HALES was born in 1847 in GA. Ann America RAMBARGER was born in Mar 1852 in KY. Richard Bryan HALES and Ann America RAMBARGER had the following children: Linnie M. HALES, Andrew Jackson HALES (born on 29 Nov 1871), William F. HALES was born in 1873 in KY, Joseph E. HALES was born in 1874 in KY, Maggie P.? HALES was born in 1879 in KY, Mary F. HALES was born in 1882, Birtie L. HALES was born in Jan 1889, and Mcatee B. HALES was born on 17 Aug 1897. He died on 14 Apr 1984.
Notes for RICHARD BRYAN HALES by Dawna Carlton: Richard was sent from Georgia to Kentucy at start of Civil War by his father William G. Hales to prevent him from being in the war. Richard Bryan Hales was living in 2-District, Daviess County Kentucky on 1910 census. His age was listed as 63.
Notes for MCATEE B. HALES by Dawna Carlton: Birth and death information is from SSD index . He was living in Owensboro , Kentucky at time of death. The birth month is different than month on 1900 census which was September, I chose to use SSD index date.
9. Andrew Jasper HALES was born 10 Jan 1846 in GA. (Date on death certificate.) He died on 11 Jul 1916 in Daviess County, KY. He married Sarah E. ?. She was born in Jan 1848 in KY. She died on 4 Oct 1921 in Daviess County, KY. Andrew Jasper HALES and Sarah E. had the following children: Thomas W. HALES (born in Oct 1877), Julia A. HALES (born in Aug 1885), and Jasper A. HALES (born in Jun 1892. He died on 18 Oct 1978).
10. Isaac HALES was born in 1854 in GA. Isaac HALES and Sarah A. E. REESE were married on 29 Sep 1875 in Pickens Co., GA. Sarah A. E. REESE was born in 1856 in GA. Isaac HALES and Sarah A. E. REESE had the following children: Lillie L. HALES was born in 1874 in GA, John W. HALES was born in 1876 in GA, and Amanda J. HALES was born in 1879 in GA.
William Green HALES married Lydia AKINS. She was born in 1825 in GA. William Green HALES and Lydia AKINS had a son, Benjamin HALES.
William Green HALES married Malissa ?. She was born in 1828 in NC.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids