My sincerest gratitude to: Carolyn Gregory Anderson, James Earl Gregory, Sherron Gregory Miller, Faye Gregory Caldwell, Maggie & Dallas Gregory Family, Louise Smalling Gregory, Barbara Graham Stack, Ella Ruth Grizzle Antonacci Family, Jo Ann Holland Little, Myrtie Gregory Leath, and Virginia Gregory Foley.
© 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
Haywood Hughes GREGORY (son of George Dallas GREGORY and Mary Ann Eunice Hughes - * See lineage) was born on 25 Aug 1885 in Sumner Co, TN. He was baptized on 27 Oct 1929 in Old Union Hill Baptist Church, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. He died on 10 Jul 1944 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He was buried on 12 Jul 1944 in Gallatin City Cemetery, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN.
Haywood Hughes GREGORY and Ruth Ann MASON were married on 15 Aug 1903 in Sumner Co., TN. Ruth Ann MASON (daughter of William H. MASON and Emily Jane PERRY - * See PERRY lineage) was born on 27 Jun 1886 in Sumner Co., TN. She was baptized on 27 Oct 1929 in Old Union Hill Baptist Church, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. She died on 13 Jun 1932 in Sumner Co., TN. She was buried on 14 Jun 1932 in Hopewell Cemetery, Robertson Co., TN.
Haywood Hughes GREGORY and Ruth Ann MASON had the following 9 children:
1. Eugene GREGORY Sr. was born on 24 Aug 1904 in Sumner Co., TN. He died on 24 Jul 1976 in Sumner Co., TN. He was buried on 26 Jul 1976 in Gallatin City Cemetery, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. Eugene GREGORY Sr. and Harriett Ann BRISTER were married on 27 Apr 1924 in Sumner Co., TN. Harriett Ann BRISTER was born on 7 Aug 1907 in Bowling Green, Warren Co., KY. She died on 28 Feb 2000 in Sumner Co., Tennessee. *(See Photo)
* Obit - Westmoreland World, July, 1976, Westmoreland, Tennessee
Eugene Gregory Sr., 71, a retired farmer in Sumner County, died Sat., July 24, at Sumner County Memorial Hospital following a heart attack. Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Harriet Brister Gregory, Gallatin; six sons, Eugene Jr., Bobby, Dean, and Larry Gregory, all of Gallatin, Ray Gregory, Mt. Juliet, and Billy Gregory, Benson, Az.; three daughters, Mrs. Sarah Milrany and Mrs. Carol Adcock, Gallatin, Mrs. Roger Leath, Bethpage; two brothers, Dallas Gregory, Gallatin, and Hester Gregory, Indianapolis, In.; four sisters, Mrs. Vestle Graham and Mrs. Frank Horton, Gallatin, Mrs. Virginia Foley, Nashville, and Mrs. Camey Brady, Smyrna; 31 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. The funeral was held at 10:30 a. m., Mon., July 26, at Indian Hills Baptist Church with burial in the Gallatin Cemetery.
* Obit - Harriett Gregory, Gallatin, TN, Age 92, February 28, 2000
Monday, February 28, 2000, at Brandywood Nursing Home. Survived by sons and daughters-in-law, Billy H. and Jane Gregory, Benson, AZ, W. Dean and Fay Gregory, Gallatin, TN, Larry W. and Carla Gregory, Atworth, GA; daughters and sons-in-law, Sarah Milraney, Gallatin, TN, Myrtie and Roger Leath, Bethpage, TN, Carolyn and Andy Anderson, Gallatin, TN; 31 grandchildren, 44 great-grandchildren, 20 great great-grandchildren, nieces, nephews, relatives, and friends. Funeral service will be 2 P. M. Thursday, March 2 , from the chapel of Newby Funeral Home, Bro. Johnny Carver, Bro. Jack Goodwin, and Bro. Jimmy Roberts officiating. Burial will be in the Gallatin Cemetery. Grandsons will serve as pallbearers and honorary pallbearers. Visitation will be 10 A. M. - 9 P. M. Wednesday, 9 A. M. until time of service Thursday. Memorials may be made to Longview Missionary Baptist Church in Gallatin, TN. NEWBY FUNERAL HOME.
* Article written, 1986, by Carolyn Anderson, Eugene and Harriett's daughter.
Eugene And Harriett Gregory
Eugene Gregory was born August 24,1904. Birthplace was Gallatin, Tennessee on Phosphate Lane in Uncle Jack Gregory's cabin. Harriett Brister Gregory was born August 7, 1907 at Bowling Green Kentucky.
Eugene's nickname was Genie. Genie and Harriett met on December 2, 1923. It was love at first sight. Harriett was courting Leslie Gregory. (Genie's First cousin) One week end Eugene went to visit Leslie, Leslie was going to play cupid with Eugene and Madaline (Harriett's sister); but it didn't quite work out that way! When Leslie introduced Eugene to Harriett, it was sparks flying. It was definitely love. They courted four months and twenty-nine days before they got married. The couple got married sitting in a horse and buggy cart. Preacher Sam Harper held the ceremony,
Genie and Harriett lived at Castalian Springs one year then moved to Robertson County, moved back to Palmar Station at Eaten Wall, and then back to Sumner County where they remained.
Genie's work was laying brick, farmer most of his life, than 1960 moved off the farm to town and went to work for the Sumner County Highway Department until he retired in 1962. Harriett cared for ten children, worked in fields, (usually with a child on hip) milked cows, cut wood, and anything else that had to be done. It was a very hard life for Eugene and Harriett raising ten children, but there was also very happy times.
Eugene was a very strict, but a good Father, for example; he never let his girls date unless she took all the younger children with her. That excited the younger children because they got to go to the movies and other places that normally they wouldn't get to go.
Eugene loved baseball. His seven sons followed in his footsteps where ball is concerned.
Harriett was baptized into New Hopewell Baptist church when she was a young woman; now she belongs to Indian Hills Baptist Church. Eugene was saved 1941 at Union Hill missionary Baptist Church. Brother Ray baptized him. He belonged to Indian Hills Church when he left this world to go live with Jesus on July 24,1976. Eugene left many behind to follow him. He left nine living children, thirty-two grandchildren, end thirty-four great grandchildren. Harriett and Genie was married fifty-two years, three months at his death.
2. Elliott Elmore GREGORY was born on 20 Sep 1906 in Robertson Co., TN. He died on 8 Feb 1967 in Sumner Co., TN. He was buried in Gallatin City Cemetery, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. Elliott Elmore GREGORY and Dolly HUTCHISON were married on 23 Jan 1926 in Robertson Co., TN. (1st wife of Elliott Gregory) They were divorced. Dolly HUTCHISON (daughter of George W. and Roberta Emma SIMPSON HUTCHISON) was born in 1910. She died in 1982. She was buried in Decatur, ILL. They had three children. James Earl GREGORY (6 Aug 1928 - 20 June 2009). See Obituary
Elliott Elmore GREGORY and Bessie Louise BRINLEY were
married on 30 May 1936 in Sumner Co., TN. (2nd wife of Elliott Gregory) Bessie
Louise BRINLEY was born on 6 Mar 1923. They had 8 children together. Bessie
later married William Rudolph.
* (See Elliott and Bessie Gregory photos.)
3. William Howard GREGORY was born on 19 Nov 1908 in Robertson Co., TN. He was baptized on 27 Oct 1929 in Old Union Hill Baptist Church, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. He died on 16 Oct 1969 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. He was buried in Crestview Memorial Park, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. William Howard GREGORY and Bertha Lou DENNY were married on 4 May 1929 in Sumner Co., TN. Bertha Lou DENNY was born on 11 Nov 1914. They had 8 children.
* Obit -
William Gregory - Services Tomorrow- Gallatin
William Howard Gregory, 61, antique dealer of Gallatin, died yesterday in Vanderbilt Hospital, Nashville. Services will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Alexander Funeral Home. Burial will be in Crestview Memorial Park. Survivors include his widow, Mrs. Bertha Denny Gregory, Gallatin; six sons, William, Roy, Buford, Wallace, and James, Gallatin, and Stephen, Indianapolis; two daughters, Mrs. William Anderson and Mrs. James Caldwell, Gallatin; three brothers, Eugene and Dallas, Gallatin, and Hester Gregory, Indianapolis; three sisters, Mrs. Bud Graham and Mrs. Frank Horton, Gallatin, and Mrs. Doc Grizzell, Decatur, Ill., and 21 grandchildren.
4. Dallas Russell GREGORY was born on 16 Oct 1911 in Sumner Co., TN. He died on 11 May 1985 in Sumner Co., TN. Dallas Russell GREGORY and Maggie GRANT were married on 15 Jul 1933 in Allen Co., KY. Maggie GRANT was born on 7 May 1915. She died on 26 Sep 2008 in Sumner Co., TN. They had 4 children. (See Photo of Dallas and Maggie GRANT GREGORY.)
* Obit - Gallatin, Tn. GREGORY, Dallas - 73. May 11, 1985 Sumner Memorial Hospital. Survived by wife, Mrs. Maggie Grant Gregory, Gallatin; sons, Harold Gregory, Nashville, Jackie Gregory, Gallatin; daughters, Mrs. Ruth Flowers, Hendersonville, Mrs. Joy Miller, Brentwood; brother, Hester Gregory, Indianapolis, Ind.; sisters, Mrs. Louise Horton, Mrs. Clara Graham, both of Gallatin; ten grandchildren; five great grandchildren. Services will be Monday, May 13, 1985, 2:00 p.m. at the Gallatin Church of the Nazarene with Rev. Jack Swartz and Rev. Ron Jordon officiating. Interment Crestview Memorial Park. Pallbearers: Leon Guill, Artie Whitaker, Felix Fly, Bud Coley, Eddie Mayberry, Danny Green, Allen Parks and Winford Vaughn. Honorary Pallbearers: Bobby Pate, Don Stafford, Ted Alexander, Porter Womack, Lester Devault, Wade Powers, Nathan Harsh, Raymond Gregory, Jim Harrison, Bob Brown, Harold Whitaker, Vince Flaherty, Jack DeFiore, Tom Denning, Avery Clark, Harry Malone, Fount Lyles, J. B. Rippy, Charles Baber, Russell Howell, David Howell, Tommy Womack, Jack Kittrell, Lawrence Johnson, Carroll Johnson III, David Schreiner, Hayden Saylors, E. G. (Monk) Mattox, Harry Weakley, Ted Kelly III, Gene Carmen. DONOHO-LEGGE-NEWBY
5. Albert Hester GREGORY was born on 12 Apr 1914 in Sumner Co., TN. He died on 20 Jun 1989 in Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN. Albert Hester GREGORY and Myrtle Helen GAMMON were married on 8 Nov 1934 in Scottsville, Allen Co., KY. Myrtle Helen GAMMON (daughter of John GAMMON and Susie Deally/Dealie GREGORY) was born on 1 Sep 1918 in Hartsville, Trousdale Co., TN. She died on 23 Jan 2008 in Indianapolis, Marion Co., IN. They had 7 children. * (See photos of Hester and Myrtle GREGORY - also Hester GREGORY playing the fiddle.)
* Obit - Gallatin News Examiner - June 1989
Albert Gregory - Albert H. Gregory, 75 Indianapolis, Ind., died June 20, 1989. Services will be held Saturday, June 24 at 10:00 p. m. at Flanner and Buchanan Farley Funeral Home in Indianapolis. He worked with Detroit Diesel Allison Division of General Motors for 22 years and retired in 1972. He was a member of the United Auto Workers Union No. 933. He is survived by his wife Myrtle H. Gammons Gregory; three daughters, Joyce Mowery, Plainfield, Ind., Barbara Mowery, Nashville, Deborah Jones, Indianapolis; two sons, Dwaine Gregory, Spencer, Ind. and Jerald Gregory, Indianapolis; two sisters, Clara Graham and Louise Horton, both of Gallatin, Tn.; 26 great grandchildren.
* Obit - Myrtle Helen Gregory Our sweet Mother arrived peacefully home in Heaven on January 23, 2008. Myrtle was born on September 1, 1918 in Hartsville, TN to the late John and Susie Gammon. Myrtle was the fifth child of eight children and from the age of three her family relocated to Gallatin, TN. Myrtle was a member of the Union Hill Baptist Church where she met and married, Albert H. Gregory on November 8, 1934, who preceded her in death. After moving to Indianapolis in 1952 Myrtle worked for BalKamp, Borden Ice Cream Co., and L.S. Ayres before retiring. Myrtle is survived by her children, Dwaine (Becky) Gregory of Spencer, IN, Jerald Gregory of Greencastle, IN, Joyce Mowery of Indianapolis, IN, Barbara (Carl) Mowery of Brown Co., IN, Deborah (Dale) Jones-Cochran of Indianapolis, IN; 24 grandchildren, 48 great-grandchildren; 17 great-great-grandchildren; sister, Dean (Herb) Anderson of Greenwood, IN. Myrtle was preceded in death by her son, Billy Gregory; brothers, Dennis, Odell, Calvin Gammon, and sisters, Minnie Piper, Mamie Flatt and Mable Key. Services will be Saturday January 26, 2008 at 1 p.m. in Flanner & Buchanan Funeral Center - Decatur Township, with visitation there Friday January 25 from 4 to 9 p.m. and Saturday January 25th 11 a.m. thru service time. Burial will be at Floral Park Cemetery. *See GAMMONS/GAMMON & GREGORY Lineage
6. Clara Bell GREGORY was born on 13 Jan 1917 in Sumner Co., TN. She died on 13 Oct 1989 in Sumner Co., TN. Clara Bell GREGORY and Vestle M. "Bud" GRAHAM were married on 6 Oct 1934 in Sumner Co., TN. Brother, Elliott Gregory, and Hub Perdue signed the marriage bond. Vestle M. "Bud" GRAHAM (son of Frank GRAHAM and Angeline MAYBERRY) was born on 28 Dec 1916. He died on 6 Feb 1982 in Sumner Co., TN. He was buried on 8 Feb 1982 in Crestview Memorial Park, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. They had 3 children.
* Obit - Gallatin News Examiner - October 1989
Clara Graham - Mrs. Clara Graham, 72, of Gallatin, died Friday, Oct. 13. Services were 1 p. m. Sunday at Alexander Funeral Home with James Gregory and Jack Hagar officiciating. She was buried at Crestview Memorial Park. She was the daughter of the late Haywood Gregory and the late Annie Ruth Mason Gregory. Her husband was the late Vestle Graham. She is survived by son Benny Graham, of Gallatin; daughter Barbara Stack, of Gallatin; sister Louise Horton, Of Gallatin; six grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
7. Mary Frances GREGORY was born on 27 Dec 1918 in Springfield, Robertson Co., TN. She died on 2 May 1974 in Decatur, Macon Co., IL. Mary Frances GREGORY and Claude Vewell "Doc" GRIZZLE were married on 21 Oct 1935 in Allen Co., KY. Claude Vewell "Doc" GRIZZLE was born on 15 Sep 1918. They had 1 child. * (See photo of Mary Frances GREGORY and Claude Vewell "Doc" GRIZZLE)
* Obit - A Tribute published in the pages of The Decatur Review Decatur, Illinois, May 3,1974 Memorial Obituary, Entered Into Eternal Rest Thursday, May 2, 1974 Mrs. Claude (Mary Frances) Grizzle, 55, of 1751 N. Gulick Ave. died 4:10 p.m. Thursday in Decatur Memorial Hospital. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Monday in the Dawson & Wikoff Funeral Home, where friends may call after 4 p.m. Saturday. Burial will be in Graceland Cemetery. Mrs. Grizzle was born in Springfield, Tenn., a daughter of Haywood and Ruth Ann Mason Gregory. She was a member of Missionary Baptist Church. She was married to Claude Grizzle, October, 1935, in Scottsville, Ky. Surviving is her husband; daughter, Mrs. Norman (Ella Ruth) Antonacci of Riverton; brothers, Hester Gregory of Indianapolis, Ind., Dallas Gregory and Eugene Gregory, both of Gallatin, Tenn.; sisters, Mrs. Frank (Louise) Horton and Mrs. Bud (Clara) Graham both of Gallatin, Tenn.; and four grandchildren. Her parents and grand-daughter preceded her in death. Ella Ruth Grizzle Antonacci provided the information for Mary Frances Gregory Grizzle's family.
8. Eula Emma Vertrice GREGORY was born on 3 May 1922 in Robertson Co., TN. She died on 12 Feb 1969 in Sumner Co., TN. She was buried on 14 Feb 1969 in Crestview Memorial Park, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. Eula Emma Vertrice GREGORY and Robert "Bobby" Lee HOLLAND were married on 8 Sep 1941 in Sumner Co., TN. Robert "Bobby" Lee HOLLAND was born on 17 Feb 1920. He died on 20 Feb 1983 in Sumner Co., TN. He was buried in Crestview Memorial Park, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. They had 3 children.
* Obit - Funeral services for Mrs. Eula Emma Holland, 46, were held February 14 at Alexander Funeral Home. Burial services took place at Crestview Cemetery. Services were conducted by Bro. Monroe Dunnegan. Mrs. Holland died February 12 at a Gallatin Hospital. She was a native of Robertson Co. and a resident of this county all her life. She was the daughter of the late Haywood Gregory and the late Ruth Mason and a member of the Nazarene Church. Survivors include two sons, Roger Holland of Gallatin and Gary Holland of Harlem, Ga.; one daughter, Mrs. Jo Ann Ray of Gallatin; four brothers, Dallas, Eugene, and Howard Gregory, all of Gallatin, and Hester Gregory of Indianapolis, In.; three sisters, Mrs. Clara Graham, Mrs. Louise Horton, both of Gallatin, Mrs. Mary Grizzle of Decatur, Ill.; and three grandchildren.
9. Annie Louise GREGORY was born on 9 Aug 1924 in Springfield, Robertson Co., TN. She died on 27 Sep 2006 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. She was buried on 30 Sep 2006 in Crestview Memorial Gardens, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. Annie Louise GREGORY and Frank William Willie HORTON were married on 15 Sep 1941 in Rutherford Co., TN. Frank William Willie HORTON (son of Jesse HORTON and Mary Elizabeth MCKNIGHT) was born on 12 Dec 1919 in Sumner Co., TN. He died on 15 Jan 1999 in Veteran's Hospital, Nashville, TN. Gallatin, TN. He was buried on 17 Jan 1999 in Crestview Memorial Gardens, Gallatin, Sumner Co., TN. They had 7 children. * (See Photos of Annie Louise GREGORY and Frank William Willie HORTON)
* Obit - Annie Louise Gregory Horton, 82, of Gallatin passed away Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2006. Funeral service is 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 30, at the Gallatin Church of the Nazarene with Bro. Greg Story officiating. Burial will follow in Crestview Memorial Park. Grandsons will serve as pallbearers. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 29, and 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. Saturday. Mrs. Horton was a member of the Gallatin Church of the Nazarene. She was born in Springfield Aug. 9, 1924, daughter of the late Haywood and Annie Mason Horton. In addition to her parents, she is preceded in death by her husband, Frank William "Willie" Horton.; grandson, A. J. Smith; brothers, Eugene Gregory, Sr., Elliott Gregory, Dallas Gregory, Howard Gregory, and Albert Gregory; sisters, Clara Graham, Mary Grizzle and Eula Holland. She is survived by children Barbara Hord and husband Phil of Red Boiling Springs, Linda Carpenter and husband Larry of Gallatin, Sonia Burgess and husband Charles of Bethpage, Frank "Bucky" Horton and wife Debbie of Gallatin, Anthony Horton and wife Debbie of Gallatin, Ann Daniel and husband Larry of Gallatin, and Terry Bridge and husband Geoffrey of Gallatin; 15 grandchildren, Tina, Jerry, Michael, Chris, Ronnie, Robert, Pam, Kathy, Danny, Jenny, Chad, Aaron, Michael Paul, Tyler and Connor; and 21 great-grandchildren. Family Heritage Funeral Home is handling the arrangements.
* Obit - HORTON, Frank W., age 79, January 15, 1999 at Veterans Hospital in Nashville. Veteran of WWII. Preceded in death by Parents, Jesse and Mary Elizabeth McKnight Horton; brother, Billy Horton; sisters, Ada Bentley Ladd and Jessie Davis, survived by wife of 57 years, Annie Louise Gregory Horton, Gallatin; daughters, Barbara (Phil) Hord, Red Boiling Springs, TN, Linda (Larry) Carpenter, Gallatin, TN, Sonia (Charles) Burgess, Bethpage, TN, Ann (Larry) Daniel, Gallatin, TN, Terry (Tom) Hargrove, Gallatin, TN; sons, Frank L. (Bucky) (Debbie) Horton, Gallatin, TN, Anthony (Debbie) Horton, Gallatin, TN; sisters, Maggie Burk, Madison, Carolyn Butler, Nashville, Lucille Horton, Gallatin, Hazel Dement, Nashville, Mildred Ray, Franklin; brother, Archie Horton, Gallatin; 17 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren. Funeral service 2 P.M. Sunday, January 17, 1999, from Alexander Funeral Home, Rev. Jesse Middendorf officiating. Interment Crestview Memorial Park. Pallbearers: Ronnie McWhirter, Robert McWhirter, A. J. Smith, Michael Paul Daniel, Danny Horton, Aaron Horton, Jerry Michael Loftis. Visitation 6 - 9 P. M. Friday, 2 - 9 P. M. Saturday. Alexander Funeral Home.
Haywood Hughes GREGORY and Kannie Lee OWEN, marriage record date not found. Kannie OWEN (daughter of James OWEN and Martha GREEN) was born on 7 Jun 1900 in Alabama. She died on 25 Oct 1985 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. She was buried on 28 Oct 1985 in Gallatin Cemetery, Gallatin, TN. She was a Baptist. Haywood and Kannie had 3 daughters.
* Obit - Kannie Owen - Services for Kannie Lee Gregory Owen of Nashville, formerly of Gallatin, are set for 2 p. m. today in the Donoho-Legge-Newby Funeral Home with Rev. Wilburn Fisher officiating. Burial will be in the Gallatin Cemetery. She died Friday in the Vanderbilt Hospital. Active pallbearers for the service will be her grandsons and friends. A native of Alabama, she was the daughter of the late James Owen and Martha Green. A housewife, she was married to the late H. H. Gregory. She was a member of the Congregation Baptist Church, Roanoke, Ala. She is survived by three daughters, Virginia Gregory Foley of Nashville, Grace Hudnall of Rome, Tx., and Camey Brady of Smyrna; brother, Tam Owen of Bible Grove, Ill.; sister, Carrie Shrum of Gallatin; step-son, Hester Gregory of Indiana: two step-daughters, Clara Grimm and Louise Horton, both of Gallatin; special friend Leroy Anderson of Nashville; 13 grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild.