James Andrew Gaines (son of Henry Gaines and Elizabeth A. Latham) was born on October 1, 1854. He died December 28, 1935. (See Obit) He was married to Mary Martha Jane Harper on December 15, 1875. Martha Harper was born on March 19, 1858 and died on October 12, 1944. She was the daughter of Charles Higdon Harper and Elizabeth Jane Crenshaw. (See Harper Lineage)
Children of James Andrew Gaines and Martha Harper Gaines were:
1. Anna Bell Gaines born May 27, 1879 and died March 17, 1956. She married James "Jim" Rippy. They are buried at Roberts Tabernacle Church of God of Prophecy.
2. Daily Clarence Gaines born May 20, 1884 and died June 8, 1952. He married Virginia L. Roberts ( daughter of "Samp" and Mary Hinton Roberts) They are buried at Rippy Cemetery, Sumner Co., TN. He was a music teacher.
3. Ethel May Gaines born June 5, 1888 and died November 1, 1958. She married John Herschel Calvert (son of Samuel Birg Calvert and Martha Dowell Calvert) on December 24, 1907. They are buried at Rippy Cemetery, Sumner Co., TN.
4. Alonzo Gaines died at age 19 and is buried at Wolf Hill Cemetery Sumner Co., TN.
5. Delf Jackson Gaines lived in Newport News, VA and taught at The Newport News Business College.
6. Nona Gaines married Sam Rippy February 4, 1901. They are buried in Granite City, Ill.
7. Minta Gaines married "Bird" Graves and was buried in Sparks, GA.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids