Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Clark House
Long Hollow Pike

Submitted by Sandy Bolick
©2012

Clark House

The Clark House at Long Hollow Pike, Station Camp Creek

Plaque at the Clark House

Historical Plaque:
This is the house of four brothers who served in the Confederate army, as did many of Sumner County's young men.  Their father, William F. Clark, a Protestant minister died in 1847 at the age of forty one, leaving his wife, Emma Douglass Clark, to rear the boys.  Emma Clark, the daughter of Reuben and Elizabeth Edwards Douglass, was the granddaughter of Col. Edward and Sarah Douglass who came to Sumner County in the late 1700's. Three of the sons died in service.  Pvt. Edward Clark, Co. C, 7th Tennessee Infantry, was killed in action at the Second Battle of Manassas on August 27, 1862.  He was only 18 years old.  Pvt. David Fulton Clark Co. F, 30th Tennessee Infantry was killed May 12, 1863 at the Battle of Raymond, Mississippi.  Pvt. Reuben Douglass Clark, Co. C, 7th Tennessee Infantry died of wounds he suffered during Gen. John Bell Hood's retreat from Nashville in 1864.  The fourth brother, Charles Clark, survived the war.  He enlisted in 1862 and was discharged in 1865 from the 19th and 20th Consolidated Tennessee Calvary, in Gen. Tyree H. Bell's brigade of Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest's command.  A single room constructed in 1787 that served as the first Sumner County Courthouse is incorporated within the walls of the log house.  Andrew Jackson appeared in court here in his capacity as attorney general for the Mero District.


Photo Gallery Index Page

Genealogist's Companion Main Page