Search billions of records on

Obituaries (Misc.) 1860 - 1945

Typed and Contributed by Linda Carpenter

*(Random dates! Please scroll down to view all the dates.)

(Friday, February 23, 1877)

In Memory of Mr. Wyley Brazzell, Who Died Aug. 11, 1878.

Dear Uncle Willy:-They tell me that without my knowledge you have lain six months in your cold bed of clay, beneath the old wild cherry tree, which for fifty years has bent its friendly boughs over the cold immaculate forms of our loved ones. I knew that someday you would have to lay there, too. I knew that I would not always visit my old home and find you to greet me, and yet I was not prepared for this sad news, and oh, how hard to give you up-all the father that I ever knew-being bereft of my own dear parent in my early childhood, and it was you, dear Uncle, and old Grandmother, that took our widowed mother and us five little ones to your quiet hearthstone and supplied our many wants until we grew to man and womanhood, and all we could ever give you in return for your kindness was love and respect. Now, all that we can do is to mourn with your bereaved companion and children, who miss you sadly. I hoped to meet you again on earth, but God's will be done. I hope we will meet in Heaven. W. A. B., St. Louis, Mo., Feb. 9, 1877.

(Friday, January 28, 1876)

Death Of Mrs. Julia Bate

Died, on the 6th inst., at her residence near Castilian Springs, Sumner County, Tenn., Mrs. Julia relict of Captain Humphrey Bate. Exemplary as a Christian, devoted as a wife and mother, kind and hospitable as a neighbor and friend, she lived an object of affection within the circle of her acquaintance-and now an all wise Providence having taken from her it, her loss is deeply regretted and tenderly mourned. Her husband, Captain Humphrey Bate, and her brother Captain Jo Tyree sleeps in the same grave on the field of Shiloh. Since her widow-hood, her life has been an unbroken and beautiful devotion to the memory of her husband, whose high-toned honor, intense patriotism, and unswerving gallantry, lives fresh and green in the memory of this people. Such a noble woman, the widow of such a man deserves a better tribute than any can give.

(Friday October 22, 1875)

Guthrie-On the 27th ult., Sallie L., wife of H. C. Guthrie, Esq. Funeral services at the Baptist Church the following day by Rev. Mr. Butler.

Mason-On the 16th ult., of consumption, at his home near the Rock House, in this county, Mr. Joseph Mason, aged 25 years.

Meador-On the 25th ult., of consumption, at the residence of her husband, near Rock House, the wife of W. C. Meador, Esq.

Hanna-On the 30th ult., at his residence near Bethpage, in this county, Mr. J. Bryson Hanna, Sr. Funeral services the following day from his residence, by Rev. J. G. Ray.

Miers- On the 29th inst., at the residence of her husband, near Gallatin, Mrs. Cornelia Miers, wife of R. N. Miers, Esq. Funeral services by Rev. Mr. Arbuthnot.

(Gallatin, January 18, 1871)

Local Jottings

Frank Jameson, the oldest son of our former fellow citizen, B. F. Jameson died Friday of last week. A funeral sermon was preached at the Christian Church, on Saturday by Elder Kelly.

The remains of the brakemen, Wm. Rickett, who was killed in the Tunnel on Wednesday night, were interred in the Gallatin Cemetery on Thursday. They arrived during the burial of Robert Williamson by the Odd Fellows. On the conclusion of the service the Order proceeded to the grave of Rickett, and, after a few touching and appropriate remarks and prayer by Chaplain Boude, the grave was closed by members of the Lodge.

(Saturday, September 12, 1885)


Two old and respected citizens of the North side of the Ridge died recently, viz; G. W. Roney, Aug. 23rd, aged 73 years, and Bennett Griffin, Aug. 28th, aged 73 years.

(Saturday, September 8, 1888)


Yesterday morning, at Bransford, of typhoid fever, R. R. Hodges, aged 32 years. He married a daughter of Marion Durham, leaving two children. He will be buried at Bethpage today at 10 o'clock. He was a member of the Methodist Church and a Mason.

(Saturday, December 22, 1888)

Death of Meredith Hodges

He Passes Away at the Advanced Age of Ninety-five-A Good Man Gone

Died, on Sunday, the 16th, at 11 p. m., at the residence of his son-in-law, Dr. E. M. Durham of Fountain Head, Elder Meredith Hodges, in the 95th year of life, having been born in the state of Virginia Feb. 17, 1794. Elder Hodges moved to Tennessee with his parents when but a youth, and being possessed of an able and vigorous intellect he soon became acquainted with and attached to many of the business men of the earlier days of our county. His sterling business qualifications, capacity and honesty soon became recognized, and he filled many positions entirely to the satisfaction of the people. Among these were deputy sheriff under Charles Morgan, commissioner for redistricting the county, and justice of the peace for a long series of years. As commissioner he laid off all the present civil districts north of the ridge, and assisted in those south. In his early manhood he was happily united in marriage to Miss Catherine Sarver of Fountain Head, with whom he lived until July, 1877, a period of over sixty years. In December, 1823, he professed a hope of eternal life through Christ Jesus, soon after joined the Primitive Baptist Church, commenced preaching about sixty years ago, and those of our older citizens can well judge of his ability to preach a point by doctrine and prove it by Scriptures. Indeed, it has been frequently said of him, both as writer and speaker, that he could make a stronger arguments with fewer words than any man. He has been unable to preach for four or five years, though his mental faculties remained good to the very last. Politically, he had been a zealous and lifelong Democrat of the Jefferson school, always keeping himself well posted on the current issues. His last vote was cast for Cleveland and Thurman and Bob Taylor. He was buried on last Tuesday at Old Fountain Head in the presence of a large concourse of sorrowing relatives and friends, with religious services by Elders Reddick and Crov.

(Saturday, May 4, 1889)

Death of Capt. W. G. Pond

One of Sumner's Best Men Succumbs to a Paralytic Stroke-Sketch of His Life

Our citizens were startled Tuesday morning with the intelligence by wire that Capt. Wm. G. Pond of Fountain Head had been stricken early in the morning with paralysis of the heart and had dropped dead. He was about fifty-five years of age and a son of Richard Pond, a well-known and much esteemed citizen of the fifteenth district, who died several years ago. Capt. Pond received a fair education and in early life, prior to the war, entered into the country mercantile business at Brackintown, this county. With the war coming on he enlisted in the company of Capt. John Turner, a brother of our townsman, Col. J. J. Turner, and was elected first-lieutenant. This company formed a part of the Thirtieth Tennessee Infantry, commanded by Col. John W. Head. He participated in all of the engagements of this regiment until its reorganization under Col. Turner. Capt. John Turner had been killed in battle and Lieut. Pond was elected captain of the company. Afterward he was made commissary of the regiment and performed his numerous duties with the greatest satisfaction. His commercial training and industrious business habits well qualified him. His aptitude for this service was so conspicuous the Lieut.-Gen. Hardee's attention was attracted to him and he made him a member of his staff and placed him in charge of his commissary department, which increased his line of duty and labor. He became a great favorite with Gen. Hardee and served with him to the close of the war. Capt. Pond returned home penniless and with his accustomed energy set to work to make a living. He embarked in his old business without capital money, but with the still better capital of indomitable industry and honesty and capacity, and in a few years had accumulated a competency which had increased at the time of his death to an estate of between thirty and forty thousand dollars. In 1874 his prominence and popularity as a citizen attracted the attention of the Democrats of the county and he was nominated for the lower house of the legislature, and of course elected. He served with credit. Although no speaker, he possessed the better qualifications of a sound, conservative judgment which directed him rightly. He had no desire for further political promotion, although he could have been returned for another term. Capt. Pond was twice married, his first wife being a Miss Lane. From this marriage were three sons and one daughter, who became the wife of Wm. Butler, a son of the late Oliver H. Butler. After the death of Mrs. Pond he married Mrs. - - Brown, who is the mother of our popular county court clerk, Harris Brown. There were no children from this marriage. A review of the life of this worthy man of Sumner places him in the front rank of useful men who fully come up to the requirements of good citizenship by the performance of every proper duty in life. He did whatever fell to his share honestly, conscientiously and faithfully. He was frank and upright in all of his dealings with his fellowmen, and preserved a warm and charitable heart towards all. In disposition he was firm, yet mild in manner. To his friends he was a hooks of steel, and more than one holds in grateful remembrance his kind generosity in the day of trouble. The deceased was a faithful member of the Masonic Lodge at Fountain Head. He had been elected to the higher degrees of Royal Arch Mason at the Gallatin Chapter, and his coming was awaited. His summons to the Lodge above took precedence, and his earthly societies will know him no more. Since the above was written we have learned further particulars in regard to the death of Capt. Pond. He had undergone two previous attacks of vertigo or paralysis, and had in a great measure recovered from them, although his condition was anxiously watched by his family and friends. He had attended church on Sunday last and his near neighbor and physician, Dr. Durham, has since stated that he was uneasy at his appearance that day. On the following day he was twice at his store at the station, riding in a buggy at each visit, and kept himself quite busy, as his sons state. Returning at 6 o'clock, he went to bed quite early, and Mrs. Pond states that he apparently slept well. About 4 o'clock the next morning she was aroused by his heavy breathing and sent messengers at once to his two sons at the store, several hundred yards distant, and to Dr. Durham, who lived nearer. When the doctor arrived he had ceased to breathe, and it is thought he had been dead for several minutes. The funeral took place Wednesday and was attended by a large concourse of friends and neighbors. An impressive sermon was preached by Rev. Burkett Ferrell, when the remains were interred with the solemn services of the Fountain Head Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons, W. T. McGlothlin acting as Master. "Earth to earth, dust to dust, ashes to ashes."

(Saturday, October 11, 1890)

Sudden Death

Mrs. Mary T. King, One of Our Oldest Citizens, Dies Suddenly Saturday Last.

Mrs. Mary T. King, a much loved and venerable lady died suddenly at her home on Main Street last Saturday morning. She had been upon the streets the day before and had been slightly complaining of feeling unwell. Her daughters were giving her every attention and sitting up with her. Dr. A. J. Swaney had been called in and had given her a hypodermis injection. She directed her attendants to go to bed, as she was feeling very comfortable. She turned over in her bed, and was apparently sleeping well, and in a short time one of her daughters arose, went to the bed, feeling uneasy about her, quietness placed her hand upon her, and was horrified to find life extinct. She had passed away into another world. We must draw down a veil upon the stricken household. Her remains were laid away at the cemetery the following day, attended by a large number of our people, with solemn services by Rev. W. G. Dorris. Mrs. King was the daughter of an esteemed countryman, Thomas Hunt, whose home was in the "Bend." She grew up under Christian influence from her girlhood. She was married to the late Charles B. King in 1846, and was the mother of several children. In 1846 they made Gallatin their home. Mrs. King was through her life a devoted member of the Methodist Church, and illustrated in a high degree the duties of Christian wife and mother. The cold, dull ear of death cannot know that all of our people regarded her as a true "mother in Israel." In her daily life, in her visitation of the sick and suffering and in her character she was a shining example. At the time of death she was the oldest in membership of the Gallatin church, having been connected with it over forty-three years. She was in her sixty-sixth year when called over the dark river.

(Saturday, May 20, 1899)

Mrs. A. W. Garrison

Her Death Last Wednesday After a Long Illness

Mrs. Eliza Jane Garrison, wife of Mr. Alex. W. Garrison, died Wednesday night at 11 o'clock at her home four miles from Gallatin on the Red River Pike. She had been in low health for several years and for the past year had been confined to her home. Mrs. Garrison was a daughter of the late Thomas Anderson, and was born in Sumner County forty-five years ago. She was a woman greatly beloved for her sweet and amiable disposition and other admirable traits of character. She was an affectionate wife and mother, and her loss is irreparable in the desolated household. She had long been a member of the Methodist Church, having embraced that faith when a girl. Mrs. Garrison leaves a husband and five children-William, Virgil, Lena and Thomas of this county, and Arthur, a valued employee of the Adams Express Company at Fort Scott, Kan. Her remains were interred at Gallatin yesterday morning, with religious services at the residence.

(Saturday, October 4, 1890)

Archie M. Love, who was laid away Sept. 20, after a brief illness. It was unexpected by his friends. He was a young man of bright promise, and much respected by all who knew him. He was faithful employee at the dry goods house of Lipman & Co. He was interred at the Gallatin Cemetery in the presence of a large concourse of relatives and friends after touching ceremonies by Elder Phillip Harsh, of the Christian Church.

Elmer Roth

One of the saddest deaths is that of Elmer Roth, six years on the day of his death, only son of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Roth. He was attacked by the terrible malady, diphtheria, which culminated in blood poison. He was the idol of his fond parents. The greatest sympathy is felt for the stricken father and mother by all of our citizens. During their brief residence here Mr. and Mrs. Roth have won the respect of our citizens, all of whom sympathize with them in their sad bereavement.

Thomas Simons

On last Monday Thomas Simons, the seven year old and eldest child of Jno. Simons, died of diphtheria. We tender to the parents our sympathy in the loss of this little one of their household. The remains were interred at the cemetery last Monday afternoon.

Death of N. D. Smith

Mr. N. D. Smith died on the night of Oct. 2nd, at the county asylum after a short illness. He had been in declining health for a number of years, and was about 80 years old. He was 1st Lieutenant of the Tenth Legion in the war with Mexico, and was a gallant soldier and popular officer. He was for several years deputy clerk and master of the chancery court here. In early life he was successfully engaged in business in New Orleans with James Breedlove, a wealthy relative and commission merchant. Mr. Smith was a kind-hearted, social man and one of fine intellectual attainments, and had a host of friends who will mourn his death. He was receiving a pension at the time of his death as a Mexican soldier. The remains will be interred today at the base of the monument to the Mexican soldiers in the cemetery at Gallatin.

(Saturday, September 7, 1901)

Death of Cullen E. Bell

On last Friday night at his home on the Red River Pike, Cullen E. Bell passed to the Great Beyond after an illness of some time of Bright's disease. The ceased was fifty-seven years of age and a member of the Methodist Church. He was a native of this county and a true Confederate soldier. The burial was at the Bell burying ground Saturday, funeral services being conducted by Rev. Mr. Blankenship.

(Saturday, January 7, 1905)

B. N. Fleming

Prominent Citizen of Bransford Passes Away

Beverly N. Fleming, one of the best known citizens of the Bransford community, passed away the morning after Christmas. Mr. Fleming was born in Sumner County, November 5, 1826, and was married to Mary H. Robertson August 14, 1850, who, with six children, survive him. He was the grandfather of thirty-eight grandchildren and at the time of his death had twelve great-grandchildren. He was a consistent member of the Siloam Baptist Church for a half a century. He was a gallant Confederate soldier in the Forty-fourth Tennessee Regiment, commanded by Col. Allison. Mr. Fleming was a member of the County Court of Sumner from 1854 to 1860.



Sumner County, Tennessee Obituary Index

Genealogist's Companion to Research in Sumner County, Tennessee