Search billions of records on

Obituaries January & February, 1905

 Typed and Contributed by Linda Carpenter


Gallatin Sumner County News (MISC.)
Microfilm Roll #501 - Date: 1905 - 1911

(Saturday, January 7, 1905)

Called to Ohio

M. A. and J. H. Ewing and Mrs. R. P. Hite were called to Lancaster, O., during the holidays by the illness and death of their sister at that place. An Aunt, who resided with the stricken sister, also died while they were there, being found dead in her bed.

(Saturday, January 7, 1905)

Mrs. A. A. DeLong

Mrs. Mary DeLong, wife of A. A. DeLong and a most estimable woman, passed away Saturday last, her death occurring at the DeLong home on the Red River Pike. Funeral services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. R. S. Burwell, and the interment took place at Gallatin Cemetery Monday afternoon in the presence of a large number of friends. Mrs. DeLong had been in ill health for several years, and after the death of her son, Warren DeLong, some eight months ago, she declined more rapidly. She was a native of Ohio, but had resided in this county for a number of years and enjoyed a large circle of friends. She is survived by her husband and one daughter, Mrs. Pauline Glick, of Canal Winchester, Ohio.

(Saturday, January 7, 1905)

Mrs. Edward Yates

Mrs. Vallie Enloe Yates, wife of Edward Yates, electrician at the Gallatin Electric Light Plant, died Christmas morning at the Enloe home on Franklin Street. The burial took place at the Gallatin Cemetery the following day, funeral services being conducted by Elder L. S. White. The deceased was about thirty-five years of age. She is survived by her husband, mother and three sisters.

(Saturday, January 21, 1905)

Death Near Hendersonville

Mrs. Sina Stringer died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Porter Groves, at Hendersonville, last Saturday, after a brief illness. Mrs. Stringer was on a visit to her daughter when she was taken sick. She was eight-three years old at the time of her death. The remains were taken to Franklin, Ky., her home, and interred.

(Saturday, January 21, 1905)


On Thursday, January 5th, W. F. Griffin, departed this life. He was 60 years old and had been afflicted with rheumatism since early childhood. His remains were laid to rest in Friendship Burying Ground.

(Saturday, January 28, 1905)

Death in Sixth District

Mr. John Crunk, an old and highly respected citizen of the Sixth District of this county, died Sunday. Death was due to heart disease, and the summon was sudden. Mr. Crunk was about 77 years old and was one of the best known men of that section of the county. He is survived by his wife and several grown children.

(Saturday, January 28, 1905)

Death of Dr. A. J. Wynne

Misses Sue and Mollie Wynne yesterday received a message from Ensley, Ala., announcing the death of their brother, Dr. A. J. Wynne. Dr, Wynne, who was a son of the lat Col. Alfred Wynne of Castalian Springs, was a native of this county. He had been in feeble health for some time and died from complication of troubles. He was well known among our older people, among all of whom he was universally popular and highly esteemed.

(Saturday, February 4, 1905)

J. M. Pemberton, who left the Turner's Station community not long ago to reside at Point Pleasant, Mo., died at that place Wednesday of last week. His remains were interred at Point Pleasant.

(Saturday, February 4, 1905)

Mrs. S. M. Barbour Passes Away

Mrs. Sarah M. Barbour, widow of the late A. M. Barbour, died early Sunday morning at her home on Franklin Street. Funeral services were conducted at the Barbour home Monday morning by Rev. J. J. Stowe and the interment followed at Gallatin Cemetery. Mrs. Barbour, who was a native of this county, and who was a sister of the late Wm. Moore, was seventy-four years old and the mother of W. A. Barbour, Mrs. Ella Halsey of Huston, Tex. and of Mrs. W. A. Holder whose death occurred twelve months ago. She had been a member of the Methodist Church for almost forty years, and was a patient, self sacrificing Christian woman whose life was a blessing to all whose life was a blessing to all with whom she was associated. Mrs. Barbour, although a quiet, home-loving woman and whose infirmities kept her closely confined to her home, had a large circle of friends, to all of whom her death is a sad event.

(Saturday, February 11, 1905)

Venerable Man Goes To His Last Reward

The venerable John Mitchell, known to everybody along Station Camp Creek as "Uncle Jack," passed away at 12:30 o'clock last Monday morning. His death had been expected for months. The deceased was born in the Cotton Town community in November 1819, therefore being in his acquaintances for half a century say that his life was that of the straightforward, honest, upright man. No man could have lived a life meriting stronger or more honorable praise. Mr. Mitchell was married twice. His first wife, who was a Miss Smith, died in 1881. Later he married Mrs. Lucy Mitchell, who was a sister of his first wife and the widow of his brother James Mitchell. His second wife and one son, Wm. J. Mitchell, survive him. Mr. Mitchell was a plain, unpretentious and unassuming man, and a man of strong and positive convictions. Until the infirmities of old age came upon him no man in his section was more influential or whose opinions were more respected. The burial took place Tuesday at the family burying ground, funeral services being conducted at the home by Rev. O. P. Hill of the Methodist Church, of which the deceased had been a member for a long number of years.

(Saturday, February 11, 1905)

Albert Dunn Killed In A Pistol Duel In Memphis

Albert Dunn, a brother of Ed. Dunn, of Hendersonville, died in Memphis Wednesday from wounds received in a pistol duel the previous day with a man by the name of T. M. Barrett. Both men were stock dealers, and had been intimately associated for some time. Only recently the rupture between them occurred. On the day of the shooting they met in a saloon and, according to newspaper dispatches, Dunn commenced firing upon Barrett. Three shots from Dunn's revolver were ineffectual, but a single shot from Barrett struck Dunn just over the hip in the left side. The news of the tragedy was received by Ed. Dunn at Hendersonville, and he went to Memphis. The remains of the dead man were brought to Hendersonville Thursday and interred. Dunn was a son of Mrs. Margaret T. Dunn, and was about thirty-seven years old and married, he living near Nashville. For several years he had been engaged in buying and selling livestock, Memphis being his principal market. He was born and raised in this county, but since his early manhood he had resided mostly in Memphis. He had a large connection in the Hendersonville community.

(Saturday, February 11, 1905)

Sudden Death

Arch Link, who lived in the fifteenth district about three miles west of Fountain Head, died very unexpectedly Tuesday morning. Link had been under treatment for appendicitis, and it was thought he was getting along very well. On the morning of his death he raised up in the bed rather suddenly, and it is supposed by so doing the affected parts were violently injured, as he fell back and expired within a few hours. The deceased was a son of Rice Link, and was about 33 years old. He was married and leaves a wife and two children. He was a remarkably industrious and hardworking man and enjoyed the confidence of all of the people of that locality.

(Saturday, February 11, 1905)

James W. Dorris

James W. Dorris, one of the most respected citizens of the county, died at his home near Bethpage Wednesday morning. He was about 60 years old and a man of the highest integrity and Christian character. He had spent his whole life in the community in which he died, and is survived by his wife and several children. The deceased was a son of Rev. D. D. Dorris, a noted Baptist preacher of many years ago, and he was himself a member of the Baptist Church, also a member of the Masonic Order.

(Saturday, February 11, 1905)

Baxter Smith Jr., Dead

Baxter Smith Jr., abut 39 years of age and a son of Col. and Mrs. Baxter Smith, died in Nashville last Sunday after a long illness. He is survived by his wife ad several children. The deceased resided at "Guildwood" for a short time, and had many friends in this community. The interment took place at Mt. Olivet, Nashville.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)

James Yates

One of Best Citizens of Bethpage Passes Away

In the death of James Yates, which occurred last Sunday morning, in the Bethpage community loses one of it's most respected and most substantial young men. Mr. Yates had been suffering for some time from heart trouble, and for the past few weeks his condition had been such that his recovery was not expected. The deceased was about thirty-four years old and was a son of the late George Yates. His wife, who was Miss Leila Turner, and one child survive him. The interment was at Bethpage Monday, funeral services being conducted by Rev. John L. Jordon of the Methodist Church, of which church the deceased was a member.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)

John Will Wallace

John Will Wallace, who had been suffering from consumption for several years, died near Woods Ferry last Friday and was buried the following day. He is survived by his wife and two children. He was a man well respected in the community in which he lived.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)

Dead Three Weeks

Dead Body of "Cooney" Bracken Found Near Alexander, Ky

Lived At Westmoreland

Supposed to Have Died From Injuries Sustained by Falling From Bluff Around Which the railroad Runs****Body Had Been Exposed for Over Three Weeks.

Bransford Brackin, better known to the people of the northeastern part of the county as "Cooney" Bracken, was found dead last Saturday morning near Alexander, in Allen County. Undoubtedly Bracken had been dead three weeks. Bracken's body was found about sixty feet from the C. & N. railroad track at a point just opposite the "brick house," which is the home of the Roarks, well known as violators of the liquor laws of Allen County. The find was made by a man named Shelton, who was walking along the track and discovered an old musket lying some fifteen or twenty feet from the track and on the side of the little bluff around which the railroad runs at that place. Going down to pick up the musket Shelton noticed the body of a man in the snow just a little distance beyond the gun. He identified the corpse as that of Backen. Bracken, who was old bachelor and a man about 65 years old, had lived during the winter with his niece, Mrs. Perry, at Westmoreland. Four weeks ago last Monday he passed Turner's Station walking. That evening he stopped at the home of Morgan Hunt and got his supper. He left there to go to Alexander, saying that he would spend the night there with a niece and get on the train next morning and return to Westmoreland. So far as can be learned that was the last time he was seen alive. It is supposed that he was walking along the railroad track and fell over the bluff, receiving injuries from which he died some time during the night. It is presumed that after receiving these injuries he managed to crawl thirty or forty feet to the place where his body was found. When found his face was discolored, which resulted probably from being frozen, but there was no signs of violence. The body was taken to New Hope, near Westmoreland, and interred Sunday.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)

Brakeman Killed

Young Brakeman Meets Death at Gallatin Depot

Paul Duncan, a brakeman on the L. & N. R. R., received injuries in the Gallatin yards about noon Monday that resulted in his death twelve hours later. Duncan was either coupling or uncoupling the air-brake attachment between two cars when e was hurt. While thus engaged the engine backed and knocked him down across the rail. By quickly catching to a rod and drawing himself up he managed to throw his body beyond the reach of the wheels, but one leg was caught and completely severed just below the hip. One arm was broken, the arm bone being thrust through the flesh. From the time of the injury until the end came Dr. Miller Woodson, the railroad physician, assisted by Dr. Lacky, gave Duncan every possible attention, but it was early apparent that he could not survive. Duncan was a young man about 21 years old and lived at Bowling Green. He had been employed on the road only a short time. His mother reached him before the end came.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)


B. A. Yates and wife were here this week to attend the burial of their brother James Yates. Mr. Will Yates was here from Smith Grove, Ky., to attend the burial of his brother James Yates.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)

Old Citizen Dead

Mr. James Kirkpatrick, one of the older citizens of the Worsham community, passed away Tuesday. He was in his 79th year and had lived in this county all of his life, dying in the same house in witch he was born. The deceased was a man of splendid integrity and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge at old Beech, where is burial took place Wednesday with Masonic honors. The deceased is survived by four sons and three daughters, they being Stewart Kirkpatrick, Mrs. D. T. King and Mrs. J. F. Dickson, of Nashville, and Joe, Taylor and Will Kirkpatrick and Mrs. M. B. Montgomery, all of this county.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)

Mrs. E. O. Williams

Mrs. Margaret Williams, wife of E. O. Williams, died at 2:45 o'clock Wednesday afternoon after a short illness from uraemic poisoning. Funeral services were held at the residence Thursday afternoon by Rev. J. J. Stowe, after which the interment took place in Gallatin Cemetery. Mrs. Williams was about 24 years old. She was born and raised in Carthage, her maiden name being Sanders. She had resided in this county only a few months, but during this time had become popular with all of her acquaintances. She is survived by her husband and two small children, with whom our people deeply sympathize in their loss of wife and mother.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)

Mrs. Eliza Lowery

Mrs. Eliza Lowery, widow of the late W. B. Lowery, died Monday at the home of Mrs. Amanda Roscoe, on Winchester Street, of pneumonia. Mrs., Lowery, who was a sister of Mrs. Joseph Rascoe, was born and raised in the Liberty community, and at the time of her death was spending the winter with Mrs. Rascoe. The deceased was born in 1837 and for a long time had been a member of the Methodist Church. Her remains were interred at the Rascoe Family Burying Ground at the Green B. Haris place Tuesday. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. J. Stowe.

(Saturday, February 18, 1905)


Will and Al Hester received a telegram this week notifying them of the sudden death of their Aunt, Mrs. T. P. Hester, of Bowling Green. She formerly lived at Mitchellville, where she had many friends.

(Saturday, February 25, 1905)

For Killing Sumner Countians

William Black, who killed John Ausbrooks, his father-in-law, near Wapannacka, I. T., last June, has recently been tried at Atoka, I. T., and given a life sentence to the penitentiary. Both parties formerly resided in this county, living near Portland.

Rube Neal, the Negro who murdered Raymond Perdue, another Sumner Countian, at Springton, I. T., some two years ago, was recently convicted of the crime and given ten years in the penitentiary. Raymond Perdue was a son of Jack Perdue and left the Sangtown community of this county about fifteen years ago. He married after he left this county, and is survived by his wife and two children.

(Saturday, February 25, 1905)

Death of a Child

Henry H., the little son of H. G. Jones, proprietor of the Economy Store, died Monday morning at 9 o'clock after a brief illness from pneumonia. The little fellow had been sick with whooping cough, and on Friday before his death pneumonia developed. The interment was in Gallatin Cemetery Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Jones and his family have been residents of Gallatin only a few months, but they have made many friends in their new home and all sympathize with them in their sorrow.

(Saturday, February 25, 1905)

Mrs. Thomas Staggs

Mrs. Thomas Staggs, a former resident of the Fountain Head community, died at Dresden, Tenn., Sunday night. Her remains were brought to Fountain Head Tuesday and interred. Mrs. Staggs was a native of this county, her maiden name being Miss Ann Hill. She was a member of the Methodist Church and was a woman highly esteemed by her acquaintances.

(Saturday, February 25, 1905)

Mrs. Virgie Laws

Mrs. Virgie Laws, a well known woman of the Epson Springs community, passed away last Monday. She had been an invalid for a long time. She is survived by her husband and an infant child. The interment took place at Haysville, in Macon County. The deceased was a daughter of James Atkerson, of Westmoreland.

(Saturday, February 25, 1905)

Fountain Head

Robert Hill, of Gallatin, was here Tuesday to attend the burial of his sister, Mrs. Ann Staggs.

Mrs. Ann Staggs, who formerly resided here, died at the home of her son O. G. Staggs in Dyersburg last Sunday evening after a brief illness of pneumonia. The remains were brought here Tuesday for burial. Mrs., Staggs was 74 years of age. She was the mother of Mrs. James Carrigan, of Muncie, Ind., Mrs. Dan Sullivan, of Paducah, Felix Staggs, of Kansas City, Mo., O. G. Staggs, of Dyersburg, Louis Staggs deceased, and a sister, Robert Hill, of near Gallatin. O. G. Staggs accompanied the remains here.

Sumner County, Tennessee Obituary Index

Genealogist's Companion to Research in Sumner County, Tennessee