Search billions of records on

Obituaries - January, 1910

Typed and Contributed by Linda Carpenter

(Thursday, January 13, 1910)

In Memoriam

Mrs. Lucindia Harris was born May 25, 1811, and died Dec. 29, 1909, at the age of ninety-eight years, seven months and four days. She was married to William Harris in 1825, he died in the year of 1867. Grannie Harris as she was familiar known had lived a widow ever since. To this union ten children were born, two boys and eight girls, all having preceded her to the better land except one son and two daughters. She was one of the oldest, if not the oldest person in Sumner County, Tenn. She died at her daughters, Mrs. Mary Wilson, near the White House, and was buried at the old home burying ground. Funeral was conducted by Rev. Whitson at the home of her daughter in the presence of many loving relatives and friends. In her last feeble years she had all the care that medical skill and loving hearts could bestowed. She professed religion at an early age, joined the Methodist Church of which she remained a consistent member through life. She was a niece of Bishop McKendree by marriage. Her home was in sight of where the Bishop lived, died and was first buried. Mrs. Harris was possessed of many splendid traits of character, and had all of her facultyes when she died, also could tell many things that happened in early days. And was never any happier than when she was with her grandchildren and great and great great grand children, of whom she leaves 26 grand children, 60 great grand children and 5 great great grand children. Also a host of relatives and friends to whom her departure from this life, yet rejoice that her's is a better home beyond.

(Thursday, January 13, 1910)

Died of Pneumonia

Miss Jennie Barry Passed Away Thursday of Last Week

Miss Jennie Barry, sister of Col. J. R. Barry whose death was reported last week, died of pneumonia at her home on North Water Street last Thursday night. Miss Barry was seventy-two years old, was the eldest daughter of Judge Thomas Barry, and a niece of Hon. Bailie Peyton. She was born on the Barry farm two miles west of Gallatin on the Nashville Pike, her entire life having been spent in this county. She was a lady of refined tastes and of unusual literary attainments. A woman of sweet spirit and generous impulses she spent her entire life in kindly ministrations to the happiness and comfort of others. No more appropriate tribute may be paid her memory than to say that the world was made better and happier because she lived. Funeral services were conducted Friday afternoon at the family residence on North Water Street by Rev. W. B. Lowry of the Methodist Church. The burial followed at the family burying ground on the Nashville Pike.

(Thursday, January 13, 1910)

Passed Into Peaceful Rest

Mrs. Addie Barnes Dies at Her Home on Franklin Street Sunday.

Mrs. Addie Barnes, wife of the late James B. Barnes, died at her home on Franklin Street Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. She had suffered for ten days from a complication of diseases and her death was not unexpected. The deceased was fifty-eight years of age and a daughter of Dr. Nicholas B. Newsom. For many years a prominent physician of Gallatin. She was married December 29, 1872 to Jas. B. Barnes of this county who died about twenty years ago. She is survived by a daughter Miss Montery Barnes of this place. Mrs. Barnes was a faithful Christian woman whose life was filled with generous deeds to others. News of her death was heard with sincere regret by many friends and acquaintances. She had been a consistent member of the Methodist Church for many years. Funeral services were conducted at her late residence Monday at 2 p. m. by Rev. W. B. Lowry in the presence of a large company of friends. The burial followed at the Gallatin Cemetery.

(Thursday, January 13, 1910)

Death Came Suddenly

Louis E. Green Dies at His Home Monday Evening of Heart Failure

This community was saddened last Monday afternoon by an announcement of the sudden death of Louis E. Green at the home of his mother, Mrs. Z. F. Green, one mile out on the Nashville Pike. He had been in town during the afternoon and returning home went into the house took up a coal scuttle and went out to the coal shed. There he was found dead about 5 o'clock. It is supposed his death resulted instantaneously and from heart failure. The deceased was twenty-five years old and a young gentleman of pleasing personality with many friends. He was educated at the University of Tennessee and later joined the United States Navy where he remained for nearly five years. Only eleven days remained of his term of services when he was called home by the serious illness of his brother, Walter Green in the fall of 1908. Since then he had spent most of his time here with his mother's family. A few months ago he suffered a severe attack of typhoid fever and from this he never fully recovered. He is survived by his mother, Mrs. Z. F. Green, a sister Miss Susie Green, and two brothers, Walter and Will Green. Funeral services were conducted at the residence Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock by Rev. J. D. Robins and Rev. W. B. Lowry of the Methodist Church of which the deceased had been a member since childhood. The burial followed at the Gallatin Cemetery.

(Thursday, January 13, 1910)

Henry Huey

Henry Huey, a well known young man of Gallatin, died at the home of his mother here Thursday after an illness of several months. He was formerly a resident of Wilson County, but removed with his parents to Gallatin a number of years ago, and here he has since resided. He was thirty-three years old and is survived by his mother and two brothers. His remains were carried to Lebanon for burial.

(Thursday, January 13, 1910)

Another Good Woman Gone

Mrs. Maria Brazier died at her home on the Douglass Pike, Monday morning, Jan. 3rd at 4:30 o'clock. She was seventy-three years of age and was married to Mr. Green Brazier Mar. 9, 1862. To this union there were no children. Aunt Maria, as she was more generally known, professed religion at Old Salem Church about 1870 and united with the Methodist Church immediately after her conversion. She lived a pure consistent Christian life afterward. We read in the Bible that "whom God loveth he chasteneth." This being true Aunt Maria was surely one of God's loved ones. She had been an invalid for twenty-five or thirty years, not leaving her home but once or twice in that length of time and then to visit an invalid sister. During all these years she was hardly able to wait on herself yet she bore her afflictions like a heroine, being cheerful at all times and submissive to her Lord's will, knowing that "He doeth all things well." In Aunt Maria's death the community loses one of it best and noblest women but our loss is Heaven's gain. We extend our sympathy to the bereaved husband who has been so good and patient with her all these years. The burial took place at the Stone Burying ground in the presence of a concourse of friends and relatives, services conducted by her pastor J. D. Robbins. A Friend.

(Thursday, January 13, 1910)

Passed Away In California

Mrs. Elizabeth P. Tyree of Fresno Dies in That City Tuesday

A telegram was received here Tuesday evening announcing the death of Mrs. Elizabeth P. Tyree, wife of the late Major Edward P. Tyree, at her home in Fresno California. Her daughter, Mrs. M. K. Harris of Fresno, is in Gallatin now on a visit to relatives but is ill and was unable to start on the return journey to California when notified of her mother's serious illness several days ago. She is still ill at the home of Mrs. Mag Harris on East Main Street. Judge Harris is with her. Mrs. Tyree died Tuesday and was seventy-seven years old. She was the only sister of the late Senator Wm. B. Bate and Capt. James H. Bate both of this county. Mrs. Tyree was a devoted member of the Christian Church of an exceedingly amiable disposition, gentle and considerate and dearly beloved by all who knew her. She leaves three surviving children, James P. Tyree of Los Angeles, California, Mrs. Milus K. Harris and Miss Jennie Bell Tyree, both of Fresno, California, with whom Mrs. Tyree made her home for twenty four years.


Sumner County, Tennessee Obituary Index

Genealogist's Companion to Research in Sumner County, Tennessee