Search billions of records on

Obituaries January - February, 1910

Contributed by Linda Carpenter


(Thursday, January 20, 1910)

Life's Work Is Now Over

Preston Honeycutt Dies at Ripe Old Age of Eighty-Eight Years.

Preston Honeycutt, aged 88 years, 10 months and 28 days died at his home, near Shakle Island, January 14, 1910. He was married to Miss Martha Dorris in the year 1845. To this union were born four children, two of whom survive. His first wife having died, he was married to Miss Ellen Dorris about the year 1860, to which union were born eight children, all of whom are living and attended the funeral. Of the first marriage living are Messrs Taylor and Sam Honeycutt of Gallatin, Route 4, the latter, D. R. and Jas. Honeycutt of Nashville, Mrs. Sion Evans, of Watertown, Mrs. Mattie Hooper, Mrs. Joe Palmer, Miss Alice, William and Plum Honeycutt of Hendersonville, R 3. " Uncle Press," as he was familiarly known professed religion in his young days and united with New Hope Baptist Church in 1865, where he lived a consistent and consecrated member until he died. Funeral services were conducted in Beech Church, Saturday the 15th by Rev. S. Sylavanus Dorris of Greenbrier and Wm. Wilkes, his pastor, in the presence of a concourse of friends and relatives, his six sons: Messrs Z. T., Sam, D. R., Wm., Plum and James acting as pall-bearers. In the death of "Uncle Press" shackle Island community lost one of its best and most peaceable citizens.

(Thursday, January 20, 1910)

Oliver Mosley

Oliver, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Mosley, died at their home in Hatton Tract Monday, Jan. 10, aged four years and ten months. His death was due to complication of diseases. The burial occurred at the Gallatin Cemetery the following day. Mr. and Mrs. Mosley desire to hereby express sincere thanks to neighbors and friends for many kindnesses shown during the illness of their child.

(Thursday, January 20, 1910)

Death By Suicide

Bud Absher, a merchant and prominent citizen of Allen County, Ky., living near the Sumner County line, committed suicide by shooting himself Tuesday evening, dying yesterday morning. He made an unsuccessful attempt to kill himself several weeks ago by drinking carbolic acid, but became strangled and his life was saved. Despondency over business matters is supposed to have been the cause of the rash act, coupled with bad health. He leaves a wife and several children, one son teaching school near home. He was about 45 years old and a member of Mt. Olive Methodist Church.

(Thursday, January 20, 1910)


On Sunday night, January 2, at 12 o'clock the angel of death crept silently and sweetly into the home of Bro. J. B. Hunnicutt, and whispered to that true, loving wife and mother, "Thy work is finished, I've come to bear thy soul thro' the gates of the New Jerusalem and to that city not made with hands." Then softly and sweetly she at once yielded to the becoming call of God and was borne away. Her life was that of a beautiful consistent Christian lady, and her home seemed to be one of peace and happiness, constantly devoting her time to the interest of her husband and children, her friends and neighbors always being thoughtful of the comforts and pleasures of others, ever ready to lend a helping hand to those in need. Mrs. Hunnicutt professed a religion in early life and lived a good Christian woman until her death, being fifty-two years of age. She will be sadly missed in her community, but it was God's will to call her home, and may we ever be ready to say, "The Lord's will be done, not mine." The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Wm. Wilkes. After the funeral her mortal remains were quietly laid to rest at Beech Cemetery. She leaves a husband and seven children, and many other friends and relatives to mourn her loss. May the richest blessings of God rest upon the bereaved family, and may they be comforted by the sweet thought that mother is resting in peace and love with Jesus in Heaven, for blessed are the dead that die in the Lord. A Friend.

(Thursday, January 27, 1910)

Miss Hattie Stinson

The death of Miss Hattie Stinson daughter of the late Robert Stinson, formerly of Bethpage, occurred at the home of her mother at Castalian Spgs. Sunday. The burial took place at Bethpage the following day. Miss Stinson was seventeen years old and had been a sufferer from consumption for several months. She had been a member of the church for some time.

(Thursday, January 27, 1910)

Dies at Santa Rosa

Mrs. Maria Solomon, daughter of the late Alex Williams of Gallatin, died Jan. 21 at Santa Rosa, Cal. The deceased was raised in this county and was the wife of Perrin Solomon formerly of Gallatin. She was about 75 years of age and had lived in Santa Rosa for many years. She is survived by an only daughter, Mrs. Wyatt Oats of Santa Rosa.

(Thursday, January 27, 1910)

Died in Texas

News has reached here of the death Mrs. Mary Thornhill which occurred at the home of her daughter in Waxahachie, Texas, on Jan. 12. She was about 72 years of age and was the wife of Sam Thornhill, formerly of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Thornhill were once residents of Gallatin where they had many friends. Mrs. Thornhill has lived in Texas for about 25 years. She was a sister of Judge S. F. Wilson and is survived by two daughters, Mrs. T. W. Wright of the 15th district of this county and Mrs. Bettie Kelher of Waxahachie.

(Thursday, January 27, 1910)

A Prominent Physician

Passes to His Reward After a Long and Useful Life in His Profession

Dr. R. Nuckols, a prominent physician and citizen of the Station Camp neighborhood, died suddenly at his home Monday night. He had been in ill health for some time being a sufferer from Bright's disease, but recently had been much improved and was able to ride out on his farm. Death came suddenly after he had retired Monday night. Dr, Nuckols was 72 years of age and was born and raised in Robertson County. He came to Station Camp 43 years ago and there he has since resided. He was a Confederate soldier having served as assistant surgeon in the 30th Tennessee Regiment. At the close of the war he returned to his home and resumed the practice of his profession. He was a genial gentleman of strong convictions and sterling worth whose presence will be missed in his community. The burial took place in the Gallatin Cemetery Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock.

(Thursday, February 3, 1910)

Entered Into Peaceful Rest

Benjamin C. Bond Dies at His Home in Gallatin Saturday

Benjamin C. Bond, died at his home in South Gallatin, Saturday morning at 4 o'clock. His death was due to the infirmities of old age. The deceased was born in Williamson County August 20, 1825. He removed to Sumner County about fifty years ago and was married to Miss Jennie Elizabeth Escue, sister of Frank Escue on February 22, 1860. Mrs. Bond survives her husband. To them were born six children, all of whom survive, as follows: Messrs W. F. and D. M. Bond, Mrs. Montgomery Dugger and Misses Alice, Fannie and Ola Bond. Mr. Bond was a devout Christian gentleman, having united himself in early manhood to the Old Ridge Presbyterian Church in Williamson County. He had been an esteemed member of the Gallatin Presbyterian Church for many years. Funeral services were conducted at the family residence Sunday morning at 10 o'clock by Dr. R. M. DuBose of the Presbyterian Church. The burial followed at the Gallatin Cemetery.

Sumner County, Tennessee Obituary Index

Genealogist's Companion to Research in Sumner County, Tennessee