Search billions of records on

Obituaries January – March, 1917

Typed and Contributed by Linda Carpenter




(Thursday, January 25, 1917)

Mrs. Sallie Wallace

Mrs. Sallie Wallace, wife of Mr. Albert I (Pete) Wallace, died at 4:30 Tuesday morning at their home on Blythe Street,. The deceased was born and reared near Fountain Head in this county. The date of her birth was November 28, 1847. Before her marriage she was Miss Sallie Dorris, daughter of Mr. L. Dorris, a prominent citizen of this county. Mrs. Wallace was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and an excellent Christian lady. She is survived by her husband and by three children as follows: Mrs. Mattie Wallace and Luther Wallace of this county and Frank Wallace of Waxahachie, Texas. The burial will take place at the Gallatin Cemetery today.

(Thursday, January 25, 1917)

Death Summons Jesse J. Naive

Former Citizen of Gallatin Succumbs To Attack Of Pneumonia

Nashville, Jan. 22, Jesse J. Naive, a prominent Businessman of Nashville and formerly of Gallatin, died at his home, 1919 Broadway, Sunday night at 11:20 0’clock, following an illness of three days. Mr. Naïve had not been in the best of health for over a year. In June he sold out his produce business and retired from business, believing himself unable to withstand the strain of the work involved. Since that time he has been confined to his home practically all of the time, only occasionally leaving for a brief walk. Friday he suffered an attack of pneumonia, which weakened him greatly. Saturday he felt better and Sunday morning he sat up for a while. Towards afternoon, however, he complained of feeling badly again, and a few hours later the end came. Mr. Naive was born in Clarksville fifty-seven years ago. For twenty years he was engaged in business in Gallatin where he was interested at various times in the Gallatin Milling Company, a grocery concern, and later in produce. In 1897 he established the Jesse J. Naive produce firm, which in 1902 became the Naive Spillers Company. For several years after the company was established the plant was maintained at Gallatin. It was not until about 1908 that the principal offices of the firm were brought to Nashville, the Gallatin house continued as a branch concern and other branches later being established throughout Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky. Shortly after entering the produce business in Gallatin Mr. Naive married Miss Lillian Reasor of that city, and she and one son, Jesse J. Naive, Jr., a student in Wallace school, survive him. He leaves also his father, W. W. Naïve, of Clarksville, and one brother, Chas. C. Naive of Denver, Col., and one sister, Mrs. C. W. Brooks of Clarksville. Funeral services will be held from the residence tomorrow morning at 10 o’clock, conducted by the Rev. L. E. McNair, pastor of the Moore Memorial Church, of which Mr. Naive was a member. The interment will be at Mt. Olivet. The following friends will serve as pall-bearers: Judge Ed T. Seay, Alex. W. Brown, J. C. Ray, J. T. Bandy, E. B. Campbell and C. S. Key.

(Thursday, January 25, 1917)

Native of Sumner Dies in California

The following account of the death of Capt. John Franklin is taken from the Los Angles Times of recent dates: The ashes of Capt. John Randolph Franklin, a descendant of Benjamin Franklin, who died at his home in Glendale on the 26th inst., will be sent to Waco, Tex., to the family burial ground. Capt. Franklin was a pioneer and soldier who helped make the history of the Southland. He was born near the southern border of Kentucky, near Gallatin, Tenn., May 6, 1834, coming to California in 1849 with his father. Dr. J. J. Franklin, a distinguished surgeon and physician of that time, who finally settled in Sonora, Cal. He served two terms as State Senator. Capt. Franklin was a first cousin of Jack Hayes, who organized the famous Texas Rangers, later coming to California with Fremont, the “pathfinder,” whom he served, taking an active part in quelling the turbulent element in San Franciso during the early ‘50s, ably assisted by Capt. Franklin. A cousin of Capt. Franklin and sister of Jack Hayes married Col. Dick Hammond and became the mother of John Hayes Hammond of the famous Jameson raid in South Africa. First under Gen. John Morgan, Capt. Franklin served through the Civil War with the Confederacy and fought in some of the bloodiest battles. He was promoted for gallantry while under fire during the two days’ battle of Shiloh. Later he was in the siege and evacuation of Vicksburg, escaping to Old Washington, the first capitol of Texas, where he took a prominent part in the Ku-Klux-Klan in those troublesome days of reconstruction, with Gen. Tom Clay and Gen. Addie Clay and others. His family originally emigrated from North Carolina with Daniel Boone, settling in Virginia, near the Tennessee and Kentucky lines. He was married to Miss Eleanor Hibbitt, whose ancestors distinguished themselves in the wars of 1776 and in 1812 with Great Britain, one of them, a Col. Crawford, being a close relative of Israel Putnam. She is a sister of Charles E. Hibbitt, retired lately as chief surgeon of the Atlantic squardron of the United States Navy, who had charge of the construction of the great United States naval hospital of Cavite, Manila, P. I., and later on of the construction of the United States tubercular hospital at New Fort Lyons, Colorado. He leaves behind his wife, a daughter and two sons. They are Mrs. Drew Pruitt, wife of Judge Drew Pruitt of San Gabreil; J. B. Franklin, who came here in 1887 and is widely known in Realty and coastwise shipping circles, and Lee Franklin, an unmarried son, of Glendale, who for twenty years was a prominent exporter of cotton in Texas, an outdoor sportsman and big-game hunter. Capt. Franklin was a devout member of the Methodist Church and it was said of him that he loved his fellow man better than himself.

(Thursday, January 25, 1917)

Walter Boensch Dies at Lebanon

Walter Boensch, formerly of this county, died suddenly Friday at his home in Lebanon. Mr. Boensch was a contractor and had lived in Lebanon for a number of years. He was a brother-in-law of Mr. E. P. Dickerson of Gallatin.

(January 18, 1917)

Mrs. Ann J. Reed

Mrs. Ann Jane Reed, wife of the late Mr. Charles Reed of Fairview, died Friday, January 12, 1917, at her home on the Long Hollow Pike. She had been an invalid since the death of her husband which occurred on April 17, 1914, and her death was due to the infirmities of age. Mrs. Reed was born July 28, 1838, in North Ireland. Before her marriage in 1857 she was Miss Ann Jane Reilly. Mr. and Mrs. Reed lived in New York City and at Saratoga for many years. They purchased Fairview and came to Sumner County in 1882. Since that time Mrs. Reed has spent a large part of her time here. Nine years ago Mr. Reed sold Fairview and removed with his family to New York. Six years ago Mr. and Mrs. Reed and their son, Maurice Reed, returned to Gallatin and later purchased the farm three miles out on the Long Hollow Pike where they have since resided. Mrs. Reed was a woman of broad culture and refinement, a devoted wife and mother and a kind neighbor and friend. She was universally popular with the people of this section. She was a devout member of the Episcopal Church. During her declining years Mrs. Reed was tenderly cared for by her son, Maurice Reed, who is the only surviving child. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. R. H. Hudgens, pastor of the Gallatin M. E. Church. The burial was at the Gallatin Cemetery at 10 o’clock am Saturday.

(January 18, 1917)

Mrs. Mary E. Wheeler

Funeral services for Mrs. Mary E. Wheeler were conducted at 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon at the residence by Dr. Thomas Carter of Nashville, assisted by Rev. R. H. Hudgens and Rev. Wilson Woodcock. The burial followed at the Gallatin Cemetery. The deceased was a native of Concordia Parish, Louisiana. She was born June 10, 1839. Her maden name was Mary E. Lee. On November 27, 1862, she was married to Charles B. Wheeler, formerly of Bridgeport, Connecticut but then a citizen of Louisiana. Her husband was a confederate soldier in the cavalry service under General Nathan Bedford Forrest. Judge Wheeler was a member of the Louisiana State Senate at the time the Legislature was locked up in the capitol building by the Carpetbaggers. During the reconstruction period Judge and Mrs. Wheeler suffered great privation and loss of property. They came from Louisiana to Gallatin in 1880 and at that time purchased the home on East Main Street in which Mrs. Wheeler died. Her husband died in Gallatin in 1883. She is survived by one child, a daugther; Mrs. W. W. Pardue, of Gallatin. Mrs. Wheeler was a devout member of the Methodist Church and an excellent Christian lady of sunny nature and kindly spirit. She leaves many friends to mourn her loss. Dr. Carter, a life long friend of the family, paid a beautiful tribute to the memory of the deceased during the course of the funeral service Thursday afternoon.

(January 18, 1917)

Pleasant Hill

Mrs. Leatha Simpson, wife of Bailey Simpson, died Monday, January 15, after a few days of intense suffering of pneumonia. Her husband and four children survive. She is survived also by four brothers and two sisters. The deceased was a member of the Rock Bridge Baptist Church and was held in high esteem by all who knew her.

(Thursday, February 1, 1917)

Milton W. Chenault

Milton W. Chenault, one of Sumner County’s most highly esteemed citizens, died Saturday at his home in the First Civil District, near Castalian Springs after a short illness of pneumonia. Funeral services were conducted Sunday afternoon by the Rev. H. L. Olmstead, pastor of the Gallatin Church of Christ, followed by interment at the old Chenault family burying ground. Mr. Chenault was a son of the late Mr. David Chenault, a prominent citizen of this county. He was a native of Sumner County, born in 1849, being the tenth child of a family of fourteen children. On Feb. 26, 1874, he married Miss Nannie Dunn, daughter of the late Woodford Dunn of this county, who, together with several children, survives. The deceased had been for a number of years an active member of the Church of Christ, and gave a generous support to all charitable and religious enterprises. Politically Mr. Chenault was a democrat, having cast his first presidential vote for Horace Greely in 1872. He was a man of fine business capacity and a progressive farmer.

(Thursday, February 1, 1917)

Dies Suddenly At Asheville

Telegram Announces Death Of Mrs. J. W. Albright In North Carolina.

Mrs. Callie Guthrie Albright, wife of Mr. John W. Alright of the tenth District, died suddenly at 6:15 on Wednesday evening, January 24th, at Asheville, North Carolina. Upon receipt by relatives here of a telegram announcing her death Edward Albright left at once for Asheville and acompaned his mother’s remains to Gallatin. Mrs. Albright went to Asheville late in September to spend the winter for the benefit of her health. She had improved rapidly and expected to return to Gallatin about February 1st. Her death Wednesday evening was sudden and resulted from acute heart affection. Mrs. Albright was 63 years of age and was born and reared in the 10th District near Dry Fork. She was a daughter of the late Mr. James L. Guthrie, for many years a prominent citizen and businessman of this county. She was married to Mr. Albright in 1872. She is survived by her husband and three children, Mrs. Luther Franklin, Oscar Albright and Edward Albright all of this county. She is survived also by a brother, Robert W. Guthrie of Dry Fork and a sister, Mrs. E. F. Perce of Gallatin. Since childhood Mrs. Albright has been a devout member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Her life was spent in faithful work for the cause of the church, loving devotion to her family and kind deeds to those around her. The esteem in which she was held was attested by the large company that gathered Saturday to pay a last tribute of respect. Funeral services were conducted at 11 o’clock a. m. Saturday at the Gallatin Presbyterian Church by Rev. C. C.McNeil, the pastor, and Rev. W. W. Sudddarth of Shackle Island. The burial was at the Gallatin Cemetery.


(Thursday, February 1, 1917)

W. Frank Newman

Dies in Nashville

Nashville, Jan. 29, Funeral services for W. Frank Newman, who died at his home in Nashville Saturday, were held at Enon College Sunday afternoon at 1 o’clock. The interment was on Rocky Creek in the family burying ground. Mr. Newman was a former Confederate soldier, serving under Gen. Albert Sidney Johnson in his in his various campaigns. At the battle of Shiloh he was one of the first to reach Gen. Johnson when he was wounded and carried from the battlefield. He was one of the 500 men who went out with the Twentieth Tennessee regiment of the war, and was one of the sixty-two of this number to return home. He was 78 years of age. He was born near Castalian Springs and later moved to Gallatin. He came to Nashville about four years ago, where he lived at 1908 Ashworth Avenue. He is survived by the following children: Dorrell Newman and Mrs. J. W. Stone and Mrs. Will Stone of this city, and W. F. Newman, Jr. of Gordonsville.


(Thursday, February 1, 1917)


Mrs. Vergie Davis Goad

On Wednesday morning, Jan. 24, Mrs. Vergie Davis Goad, wife of ? ? Virgil Goad, died at the home of her mother, Mrs. Annie Davis. Mrs. Goad’s death was due to measles from which she suffered extremely for several days prior to her death. The funeral services, conducted by Rev. J. D. Hewgley and Rev. N. B. Taylor, occurred Thursday at one o’clock at the Pleasant Grove Church, after which interment was made in the Pleasant Grove Cemetery. Mrs. Goad was the only daughter of Mrs. Annie Davis. She was, since early childhood, a consistent member of the Methodist Church at Turners Station. Although she had resided in Westmoreland for several years she retained her church membership at her home church. The deceased was married to Virgil Goad in June 1915. Mr. Goad belonged to the army and was in Mexico at the time of his wife’s death. Mrs. Goad was 25 years of age and during the short period of her life had by her gentle manner and lovable disposition won the warm friendship of a large circle of friends who deeply deplore her untimely death. She is survived by her mother and husband and a number of other relatives. The bereaved mother has the sincere sympathy of the entire town.


(Thursday, February 8, 1917)

Mrs. Margaret Meek

The remains of Mrs. Margaret Jane Meek, wife of the late Col. Meek, for many years Superintendent of the C. & N. Railroad, were buried at the Gallatin Cemetery Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock. Mrs. Meek died Friday in Louisville at the home of her son, W. B. Meek with whom she had lived since the death of her husband twelve years ago. She was 86 years, 8 months of age and was born and reared at Brooksville, Indiana, the daughter of Jeremiah Woods, a prominent citizen of that place. Mrs. Meek was a devout member of the Church of Christ and was a highly esteemed Christian lady. She had many friends here who regret the news of her death. Funeral services were conducted at the grave Sunday by Rev. H. L. Olmstead of Gallatin.


(Thursday, February 8, 1917)

Mrs. William Fidler

Mrs. Caroline Virginia Fiddler, wife of the late Mr. William Fidler, died Thursday morning at her home on East Main Street following a short illness from pneumonia. Before her marriage the deceased was Miss Caroline Virginia Rodemer, sister of the late Jacob Rodemer, and also of Charles H. Rodemer, now of Gallatin. She had long been a devout member of the Methodist Church. Mrs. Fidler was born in Frederick, West Virginia, on June 3, 1841. Her early childhood was spent for the most part in Louisville, Ky., where she married Mr. Fidler in 1867. From Louisville they moved to Stanford, Ky., thence to Topeka, Kansas, where she became a member of the M. E. Church. From Topeka Mr. and Mrs. Fidler moved to Gallatin in 1884, and since that time has been a kind friend and good neighbor to all who knew her. Mrs. Fidler is survived by her daughter, Mrs. L. C. Guild, and two sons, Walter W. and Chas. H. Fidler. She also leaves a sister, Mrs. Mollie A. Johnson, of Atlanta, Ga., and brother C. H. Rodemer of this city. Funeral services were conducted at the residence at 10:30 a. m. Thursday by Rev. R. H. Hudgens. The burial followed at the Gallatin Cemetery.


(Thursday, February 8, 1917)

Mrs. Lucy Elkin

Mrs. Lucy Elkin died at the residence of her grandson, Eli T. Morris, III, in Birmingham, Ala., Thursday morning, Feb. 2. Remains arrived in Nashville, 7:40 p. m. Feb. 2, buried at Mt. Olivet Feb. 3, services from the residence of Miss Emma Lellyett 1511 Hayes Street, conducted by Rev. T. A. Kerley, her former pastor. Her remains were placed by the side of her first husband, Enoch Morris in Mount Olivet. Mrs. Elkin’s maiden name was Lucy Preston, being the first grandchild of Zackariah and Permelia Talley, being born on the old Talley farm just below Shackle Island on Drakes Creek. Her mother having died when she was an infant, she was raised by her grandparents, and aunt, Mrs. M. A. Morrison. Her first husband, Enoch Morris. died in 1850 leaving one child, Hon. Eli T. Morris, of Nashville, who preceeded her, having died Dec. 31, 1902. Her second marriage was to Robt. Elkin, a prominent farmer of Sumner County, who died in September 1908. She possibly was in point of years the oldest member of the M. E. Church, South, at Gallatin, Tenn. She is survived by the following grandchildren: Russell P. Morris, Gadsden, Ala., James Carter Morris, Eli T. Morris, III, Enoch C. Morris and Miss Winiford C. Morris of Birmingham, Ala., also Mrs. T. D. Holder of Hermitage, Tenn.


(Thursday, February 8, 1917)

Services For Mrs. Elkin

Former Sumner County Lady Passes Away In Birmingham

Nashville, Feb. 2, Funeral services for Mrs. Lucy Elkin, mother of the late Eli T. Morris of this city, who died at the home of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Eli T. Morris, Birmingham, Ala., Thursday, were held in Nashville this morning. Services were conducted at the home of Miss Emma Lellvett, 1511 Hayes Street, by the Rev. T. A. Kerley at 10 o’clock. The interment was at Mt. Olivet. The following served as pallbearers: Maj. W. O. Vertrees, John L. Kennedy, Sr., W. H. Burnett, C. H. Warwick, P. L. Campbell and W. A. Willis. The remains arrived in the city last night. Mrs. Elkin was the wife of the late Robert Elkin of Sumner County and was 86 years of age. She had made her home in Nashville off and on for thirty years. Last February her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Eli Morris, removed to Birmingham and Mrs. Elkin went to live with her there. Despite her years she remained remarkably well up until a few months ago, when her health began to fail. Last week she suffered a stroke of paralysis from of which she did not recover. Mrs. Elkin was married twice, her first husband being Enoch Morris, a well known Attorney of this city, and her second, Robert Elkin, a prominent resident of Gallatin. Mr. Morris died two years after their marriage in 1850 and Mr. Elkin had been dead for nearly fifteen years. Mrs. Elkin was a prominent member of the Methodist Church of Gallatin. She is survived by her niece, Mrs. Lucy Morrison Holder of Nashville.


(Thursday, February 15, 1917)

Mrs. M. D. Anglea Dies At Castalian Springs

At ten o’clock Friday morning, February 9th, 1917, a large company of relatives, friends and neighbors gathered at the home of Mrs. M. D. Anglea at Castalian Springs, Tenn., to lay tributes of loving affection at the bier of one of the oldest and best loved citizens. Mattie Duval Cryer, daughter of Rev. Hardy Murphree Cryer, and Susan Luval Cryer, was born at Franklin, Tenn., August 13th, 1836, died February 6th, 1917, being eighty years, five months and twenty four days old. She was married to Wm. Rufus Anglea on October 18th, 1856, and all of their married life was spent at Castalian Springs. Her husband and two children preceeded her to the grave, so there remains six children as follows: Jas. S. Anglea of North Yakima, Wash., John M. Anglea of Edmond, Okla., Mrs. John Mitchener, Nashville; Mrs. Harry Swaney, Gallatin; Wm. S. and Miss Mamie B. Anglea of Castalian Springs. There are also thirteen grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Kate Cryer Dunn of Nashville, Tenn., left to mourn her loss. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. H. L. Olmstead, pastor of the Christian Church, of which Mrs. Anglea had been a devout member for sixty years. The preacher read appropriate scriptures and spoke of the beauties of the home beyond the stars. Beautiful songs were rendered by a quartette, the casket was covered with fragrant flowers, then the remains were laid to rest beside those of her husband at the “Anglea Burial Grounds” two miles east of Castalian Springs.


(Thursday, February 15, 1917)

H. C. Carr Dies In Trousdale County

Hartsville, Feb. 9, Mr. H. C. Carr, of Bethpage, died Tuesday night at the residence of Dan Carr, near Echo. Mr. Carr had been visiting relatives in that section for several days and Wednesday of last week he had an attack of colic, his condition growing worse until the end. Mr. Carr was a native of Missouri, and was a Confederate veteran. Many years ago he came to this section where he had many relatives, and was well known to practically al of our people, having many friends here. He was a painter by trade, following his vocation until his last illness. He was about 79 years of age and is survived by three children, two daughters and one son. His remains were interred Thursday at the Kerley burying ground near those of his wife.


(Thursday, February 15, 1917)

In Memoriam

A tribute to the memory of Mrs. Lizzie Withers of near Gallatin, Tenn.: We tenderly sympathize with the bereaved family, her children, her brothers and near relatives, in this their great, their deepest sorrow. Her attachment for her family had always been very beautiful, loving home best at all times, with her children around her ministering to her every wish; she was a good housekeeper, always studying and looking after their interest, rendering them every assistance in her power. Her husband died early leaving a large family for her to rear, three girls and five boys, all good, moral citizens; James, Rufus, Lewis, Hugh, and Miller Withers of Oklahoma, Mrs. Nellie Day, Mrs. Birdie Baskerville and Mrs. Lewis Johnson. She was a kind and loving mother, a good neighbor, always ready and willing to help in time of need, and will be greatly missed. She lived a beautiful life. One who knew her and always loved and admired her.


(Thursday, February 22, 1917)

Marshall W. Harper

Marshall Winfield Harper, son of Rev. John Harper of the Dobbins Pike Community, died Monday at the Felix Woodward place near Gallatin after a brief illness from pneumonia. Mr. Harper was born in Jackson County April 6, 1875. He had spent much of his life in Texas but returned to Tennessee two years ago. He is survived by his wife. Funeral services were conducted at the residence at 2:30 p. m. Tuesday by Rev. Wilson Woodcock, pastor of the Gallatin Baptist Church of which the deceased was a member. The burial took place yesterday afternoon at the Puckett graveyard near Rome.


(Thursday, February 22, 1917)

Tragic Death A Mystery

Billie Downing Fatally Injured In An Alleged Accident

Billie Downing, aged 82 years, who was for many years a well known horse racer and trainer of this section, died at the city work house at noon Monday from the effects of a serious wound on the head which he received at an early hour Saturday mourning. Gallatin had been Mr. Downing’s home for many years, but of recent years he has been unable to follow his profession, horse racing, and having no relatives here, he had no regular home, and during this winter had been sleeping at the office of Moore’s livery stable on East Main Street. Early Saturday morning the police were notified that Downing’s body had been found in the driveway unconscious and that it was supposed he had fallen from the stable loft. The injured man was hurried to the office of Dr. W. N. Lacky, where he received medical attention but he did not regain consciousness. When asked concerning the man’s misfortune Charlie Hughes Cleveland Mathews, two white night watchmen at Moore’s stable, said that he was sleeping in the barn loft and fell out. This statement was rather unsatisfactory to the officers and they spent the entire day Saturday in an investigation which led to the arrest of the two watchmen, who were placed in jail on a charge of murder. An effort was made to locate relatives of the deceased but none have been found. Downing was born near Bowling Green, Kentucky. He was brought to Gallatin as a trainer forty years ago by the late Dr. W. R. Tomkins and had resided here and in Nashville since that time.


(Thursday, March 1, 1917)

Mrs. J. O. Martin

Mrs. Mary Mary Porter Youree Martin, wife of Mr. J. O. Martin of Gallatin, died early Monday morning at a Nashville infirmary. The deceased was the youngest daughter of Mrs. Katie B. Youree of the second district of this county. She was a young lady of beautiful Christian character and was popular with a wide circle of friends. On January 15, 1916 she was married to Mr. J. O. Martin, who survives her. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. H. L. Olmstead Tuesday at 10:30 a. m. at the Gallatin Christian Church of which the deceased was a member. The burial followed at Gallatin Cemetery.


(Thursday, March 1, 1917)

Death Claims Rueben Brown

Prominent Citizen of Gallatin Passes Away Sunday Morning

Reuben D. Brown, a prominent and highly esteemed citizen of this county, died Sunday morning at 5 o’clock at his home on West Main Street, Gallatin. His death resulted from pneumonia from which he had been ill for several days. Mr. Brown was 67 years of age and was born and reared on the East Fork of Bledsoe Creek in this county. He lived for a number of years in Texas. Later he returned to this county and for ten years had been a rural mail carrier on route No. 1 out of Gallatin. He was an excellent Christian gentleman and had been since early manhood a faithful and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mr. Brown was a son of the late George T. Brown, a prominent pioneer citizen of this county. Early in life he was married to Miss Margaret Crenshaw who survives him. There survive also the following children: Mrs. L. C. Dickinson and Mrs. Emma Chapman of Fort Worth, Texas; Mrs. Howard Collins, Jasper Alabama and Mrs. Charles Latimer of this county. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. R. H. Hudgens and Prof. C. E. Hawkins at the Methodist Church at 2 o’clock p. m. Monday in the presence of a large assembly of relatives and friends of the deceased. The burial was at the Gallatin Cemetery.


(Thursday, March 8, 1917)

Mrs. Eliza Clark

Bethpage, Tenn., March 2, Mrs. Eliza Clark died suddenly Thursday at the home of her nephew, Rufus Reese, in the 10th district of this county. She had started from her room to the dining room when she dropped dead. She was 86 years of age and a member of the Catholic Church. She formerly lived in Franklin, Ky., but for the last few years had made her home with her nephew. Her husband died more than 20 years ago.


(Thursday, March 15, 1917)

Mrs. Sallie E. Brink

Mrs. Sallie E. Brink died suddenly Sunday morning, March 11th, at her home near Cotton Town. Her death was entirely unexpected and came as a shock to her relatives and many friends. Mrs. Brink was born November 11, 1851. She was a daughter of the late Cullen E. Douglass, for many years a prominent and influential citizen of this county. She was a devout Christian lady, having been for a long while a member of the Gallatin Presbyterian Church. Her husband died a number of years ago. Mrs. Brink is survived by two daughters, Mrs. W. D. Cummings and Mrs. T. L. Kirk. The burial took place at the Gallatin Cemetery at 2o’clock p. m. Monday with services at the chapel by Rev. C. C. McNeil.


(Thursday, March 15, 1917)

Mrs. Thos. B. Wilson Dies at Saundersville

Mrs. Thomas B. Wilson died Saturday morning at 3 o’clock at her house near Saundersville. She was in her seventy-eighth year. She had been in failing health for several years and seriously ill for three weeks with pneumonia. Saturday she began sinking and all hope for her was given up. During the first few days of the week, however she rallied greatly and for a time it was thought she would recover. Her death brings sorrow to her many friends in this and other communities. Mrs. Wilson was the daughter of the late William Craigwall and was born in Wilson County, a short distance out from Lebanon. During her early girlhood she attended school in Nashville, and was a graduate of the Nashville Female Academy, finishing school just before the close of all Southern educational institutions on account of the war. In 1867 she was marriedCapt. T. B. Wilson, who had seen distinguished service in the Confederate army. After marriage she lived with her husband on the Wilson homeplace near Saundersville. Mrs. Wilson was a woman of fine sensibilities and rare mental attributes. She had a ready discernment and was quick in emotion and sympathy. She is survived by three sons, Thomas B. Wilson, Jr., of Avondale, Dr. O. H. Wilson of Nashville and Prof. Albert H. Wilsonoof Haverford, Pa., and a granddaughter, Lucy Wilson. One brother, Prof. Jasper Craigwall of Indians also survives her. Funeral services were conducted at the residence at 2 o’clock Sunday afternoon by Rev. Francis McCloud. The burial followed at Mt. Olivett Cemetery in Nashville.


(Thursday, March 15, 1917)

J. F. Lafferty Dies Suddenly

Prominent Citizen of Gallatin Passes Away At His Home Here

J. Frank Lafferty, a prominent citizen and member of the local bar, died suddenly Sunday afternoon of acute indigestion. He had been in ill health for several years. He was born at Bean’s Station, in East Tennessee, May 3, 1856, and was 61 years old. He was a son of Gen. James Lafferty of Bean’s Station, his mother being Miss Valeria Trousdale, daughter of former Governor Wm. Trousdale of Gallatin. Mr. Lafferty practiced law at Morristown for a number of years but fourteen years ago removed to Gallatin where he has since resided. He is survived by his wife and a daughter, Miss Katherine, also one brother, W. T. Lafferty, of Nashville. Mr. Lafferty was a member of the Gallatin Presbyterian Church. He was a member of the Sumner County Court and one of the most highly regarded men in Sumner County. Funeral services were conducted at the residence at 3 o’clock p. m. Monday by Rev. C. C. McNeil, pastor of the Gallatin Presbyterian Church. The burial was at the Gallatin Cemetery.


(Thursday, March 15, 1917)

Mrs. Uriel Jones

Mrs. Uriel Jones died at her residence at Saundersville, Tenn., March 2, 1917, age 87 years, 11 months and 12 days. She was a member of the Methodist Church 45 years. Her maiden name was Sarah J. Leddy. She was married to Uriel Jones in 1851. He preceded her to the grave 25 years. She is survived by the following children, Mrs. W. J. and J. R. Mitchell of Cottontown, Tenn., J. L. and Uriel Jones of Dallas, Texas, Mrs. Kate Hamilton of Joplin, Mo., J. H. and Miss Alice Jones of Saundersville, Tenn., 12 grandchildren, 7 great-grandchildren, many friends and relatives. Funeral services were conducted by C. C. Hinkley Sunday, March 4, Interment at Gallatin Cemetery.


(Thursday, March 15, 1917)

Mrs. Mattie A. Chipman

Bethpage, March 9, Mrs. Mattie A. Chipman, wife of Mr. George W. Chipman, died at their home yesterday morning at 4:30 o’clock after a weeks’ illness of pneumonia. She was born Nov. 10, 1853, and was 63 years of age. She was the daughter of William B. and Amanda Key, who lived and died in this county. She was a devout member of the Methodist Church at Bethpage and had seen early girlhood. She was a member of chapter No. 5 Order of the Eastern Star of Bethpage, and was an exemplary character. Mrs. Chipman was twice married, first to the late J. T. Senter of this county, and on April 30, 1891, was married to Justice of the Peace, G. W. Chipman, who survives her. She is also survived by three sons, Harry M. and Claude Senter, both prominent merchants of this county, and Ed W. Senter, a druggist of Chattanooga, and by one grandson, Robert Senter Jordan, 12 years of age. Her death, while not entirely, has cast a shadow of gloom over the whole community. The funeral was held at Bethpage Methodist Church at 10:30 o’clock this morning by her pastor, the Rev. E. R. McCord, followed by interment at Bethpage Cemetery.


(Thursday, March 15, 1917)

James W. Hunter

Bethpage, March 8, James Wesley Hunter, an influential and highly esteemed citizen of this community, died at his home after a lingering illness of cancer of the stomach. The deceased was 60 years of age and had been a member of the Mt. Vernon Methodist Church for the greater portion of his life. He was a farmer by profession and was a director of the Farmers’ and Merchants’ bank of this place, and was formerly a member of the finance committee of that institution. He is survived by his wife, who was previously to her marriage, Miss Donie Wallace, and by four children, Mrs. Pearl Perry, Mrs. Cap Hunter, Mrs. Charles Durham and Willie Hunter. The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. E. R. McCord, pastor of the Methodist Church, and was followed by interment at Mt. Vernon.


Sumner County, Tennessee Newspaper Obits Index 

The Genealogist's Companion to Research in Sumner County, Tennessee