Search billions of records on

Obituaries February - March, 1911

Typed and Contributed by Linda Carpenter


(Thursday, February 23, 1911)

Her Death Is Deplored

Miss Lucye Gilmore Passes Away After An Illness of a Few Weeks

The death of Miss Lucye Gilmore, which occurred at 6:30 0'clock Monday Morning at the home of her mother, Mrs. J. W. Gilmore in Gallatin, was the occasion of unusual regret. She had been ill for several weeks, but a fatal termination of her sickness was unexpected. Miss Gilmore was nineteen years of age, was a young lady of many beautiful traits of character, and unusually popular with old and young alike. She had been, since childhood, a member of the Methodist Church, and was devoted to Christian work, being especially active in support of the Epworth League. Her death was indeed untimely. Funeral services were conducted at the family residence on Franklin Street Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock by Rev. W. B. Lowry, pastor of the Gallatin Methodist Church. The burial followed at the Gallatin Cemetery. Both services were attended by a large company of relatives and friends. The following friends of the deceased were the pall bearers: Dr. Chas. T. Love, Joe Bond, Edwin Lane, Claude E. Perkins, Greenberry Brown, Max R. Bandy, Hugh Love and Tom Brown.

(Thursday, February 23, 1911)

Died of Paralysis

Jack West: a prominent citizen of the Bethpage section died of paralysis at his home on Brushy Fork Monday afternoon at 3 o'clock. He was riding horseback from Bethpage Monday morning and when about a mile from home suffered the fatal stroke and fell from his horse. He was carried home but died a few hours later. He was a good citizen and was held in high regard by his community. He was 54 years old and is survived by his wife and three children. The burial occurred at Mt. Vernon Tuesday at 3 o'clock p. m.

(Thursday, February 23, 1911)

Judge John May Taylor

Member of Court of Civil Appeals Dies at Home in Lexington

Lexington, Tenn., Feb. 17-Judge John May Taylor, member of the court of Civil Appeals, died at his home at 8:10 o'clock tonight, in the seventy-third year of his age. His death had been momentarily expected for some days. Funeral services will be conducted at the Methodist Church here at 4 o'clock Saturday afternoon and the body will be interred in the Lexington Cemetery. John May Taylor was born at Lexington, Tenn., May 18, 1838. His father, Jesse Taylor served in the war of 1812, seeing action in the battle of New Orleans under Gen. Jackson. Three of his sons were Confederate soldiers, the elder of whom, Capt. Jesse Taylor, commanded the heavy artillery at Fort Henry during the bombardment in February, 1863 and was surrendered at the place, C. C., another brother, served with Gen. Forrest. John M. was educated at Lexington Academy, and at Union University, at Murfreesboro. In 1861 he was graduated from the law department of the Cumberland University. In religious belief Judge Taylor was a Southern Methodist for many years being a steward in the Lexington church. For twelve years Judge Taylor was superintendent of the Sunday school at Lexington and his friends say that he took more pride in that position than in any place he ever filled or any honor ever conferred on him. He was a Knight Templar Mason, and had held membership in the Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias. In 1899 Judge Taylor was appointed by Gen. John B. Gordon brigadier-general commanding the Second brigade, Tennessee Davidson, United Confederate Veterans, and since that time has been reelected at each succeeding reunion.

(Thursday, February 23, 1911)

Dry Fork

Little Thomas Gillespie, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Gillespie, died at the home of his father last Tuesday night. He was nine years of age, was a very bright boy and was loved by all. He will be greatly missed. The burial was at Shiloh Friday evening at 3 o'clock, services were conducted by Rev. C. R. Wade of Bethpage.

(Thursday, February 23, 1911)

Shackle Island

Mr. Beemer died at his home in Long Hollow Sunday morning. The remains were taken to Spring Hill Cemetery for interment.

(Thursday, March 2, 1911)

Death Of Aged Lady

Mrs. Jennie Bowman Goes to Her Reward at a Ripe Age

The death of Mrs. Jennie Bowman, aged 78 years and two months, occurred at her home on the Long Hollow Pike last Thursday following a short illness from agrippe. She had been a devoted Christian since early in life, her membership being in the Methodist Church at Gallatin. One of a remarkable family is gone. For one or two members of a family to live to be nearly 80 years of age is no uncommon occurrence, but for only five children out of one family to average over 80 years of age each, is something out of the ordinary. This record is held by a family of which she was one of three sisters, who live near Gallatin on the Long Hollow Pike, namely, Miss Vandelia Beard, aged 83, Mrs. A. T. Holt, aged 80, and the deceased, aged 78 years. The oldest of the sisters is Mrs. Amanda Miltan of Omega, Fla., who is 85 years of age, and the youngest, Mrs. Joe Halbert, aged 76, lives at Mountain Home, Ark. These five sisters are the children of Alfred Beard, and until the last few weeks all have enjoyed the best of health. The sum of their ages is 402 years. Mrs. Bowman was an aunt of Mrs. John Scott of the Long Hollow Pike. The burial occurred Friday at the Gallatin Cemetery with funeral services by Rev. W. B. Lowry.

(Thursday, March 2, 1911)

Homer D. Ward

Homer D. Ward died at the State Prison in Nashville shortly after 1 o'clock Tuesday morning of Bright's disease and tuberculosis. His remains were brought to Gallatin on the 1:15 train Tuesday and buried in the local cemetery. Funeral services were conducted at the grave by Dr. Sullivan, Warden of the prison, and Dr. DuBose, pastor of the Gallatin Presbyterian Church. Dr. Sullivan paid a beautiful tribute to the life of the deceased during the three years he had known him. He said that on his death bed Ward had assured him of his innocence of the crime of which he was convicted in 1904. Dr. Sullivan stated emphatically that he believed Ward innocent. There has always been in Tennessee a strong sentiment in Ward's favor, and many of the best citizens of Clarksville, where his crime was alleged to have been committed, believe him innocent. A part of the board governing the Odd Fellows Home refused to join in the prosecution. Though he was in all probability the victim of circumstances, he bore his trial and conviction with calm resignation with Christian fortitude.

(Thursday, March 2, 1911)

Killed Her With An Axe

Negro Man Falls Out With His Wife and Kills Her Instantly

Will Derrickson, a negro about 45 years old, killed his wife, aged 35, at their home beside the turnpike near Saundersville last Saturday evening at 6 o'clock. Domestic troubles are said to have been the cause of the murder. Derrickson and the woman were in the house quarreling when suddenly he seized a spade which was near by and struck at her. She ran for the door and as she went out he struck at her again knocking her into the yard. He then seized an axe and struck her twice in the head, killing her instantly. He fled at once to the river but being unable to find a means of crossing, was arrested and held until the arrival of Deputy Sheriff Tom Dunham who brought him to Gallatin Sunday morning where he is now in jail. Derrickson confessed to killing his wife, but would say nothing as to the cause leading to the quarrel, nor the details of the murder. No crime in years has stirred up the colored population of that part of the county as has this one. The negro has always heretofore borne a good reputation, and it is said that his wife had given him cause for the insane jealousy which seems to have caused the crime. They have a family of several children. Derrickson's preliminary trial will be held in Gallatin Saturday.

(Thursday, March 2, 1911)

Confederate Veteran Dies

Norvell Douglass Saunders Answers Last Roll Call February 26

Norvell Douglass Saunders died February 26, 1911, at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Cullen Douglass, near Gallatin. Mr. Saunders who was in his seventy-eighth year, was a native born Sumner countian. For a brief period he lived in Mississippi during which time he inlisted in the 176 Miss. Regiment and proved himself a soldier of true worth taking part in the first-general engagement at Mansasses Gap on the 21st of July 1861, in which battle he was severely wounded. While convalescing he rendered post service at Canton, Mississippi. Mr. Saunders was married in 1864 to Miss Emily A. Cantrell, a member of a noted pioneer family of Sumner County. His wife died in May, 1910. The following children survive: Mr. William Cantrell Saunders of Fort Worth, Texas; Mesdams I. M. Baker, John Baker, and Mrs. Cullem Douglass, all of this vicinity. Services were held at the residence of Mrs. Douglass by Rev. R. M. DuBose, Monday, after which a large conconse of relatives, neighbors and friend followed him to the place of interment in the Gallatin Cemetery. Comrades and members of his Bivouac stood round the open grave as the coffin was lowered to its final resting place, cassing a leaf of ever-green as a token of love and true effection.

(Thursday, March 2, 1911)

James Redding

Goodlettsville, Tenn., Feb. 23 - Mr. James Redding, who resides on Madison Creek, near this place, died yesterday afternoon at 1 o'clock of tuberculosis. He was interred in the cemetery of the Methodist Church at Hendersonville today. He was 46 years of age and leaves a wife and four children.

(Thursday, March 9, 1911)

Follows Her Sister Home

Death Claims Another One of Family of Aged Sisters

Miss Vandelia Beard died last Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at her home two miles out on the Long Hollow Pike. She was 83 years of age and was a sister of Mrs. Jennie Bowman whose death was reported last week. She had been ill but a short time and her death was due to the infirmities of old age. She was one of a family of five children whose ages averaged over 80 years. She is survived by three sisters as follows: Mrs. A. T. Holt of this county, aged 80; Mrs. Amanda Milton of Omega, Florida, age 85 years and Mrs. Joe Halbert of Mountain Home Ark., age 76. She was a daughter of Alfred Beard and until a short time ago had enjoyed good health. Miss Beard was a member of the Christian Church. The burial took place at the Gallatin Cemetery Thursday afternoon.

(Thursday, March 9, 1911)

Death Near Number One

Mrs. George Wise Succumbs to An Attack of Pneumonia

The death of Mrs. George W. Wise occurred at her home near Number One last Thursday morning at an early hour. She had been ill for several days with a mild attack of pneumonia, but the end came suddenly as a result of heart failure. She was a woman of splendid Christian character whose presence in her community will be greatly missed. Mrs. Wise was 58 years of age, and before her marriage was Miss Perdue of Fountain Head. She had been for a number of years a consistent member of the Methodist Church at Rehoboth, being especially active in the work of the Missionary societies and other church enterprises. She is survived by her husband and eight children. The burial occurred Friday at the Gallatin Cemetery with funeral services by her pastor, Rev. R. W. Seay.

(Thursday, March 9, 1911)

Was Shot Full Of Holes

Alleged Slayer of a Woman Meets Death at Hands of Kentucky Mob.

Scottsville, Ky., March 6 - Wood Ayres, riding horseback along the Bowling Green Pike about dusk this afternoon, his rifle across his knees, and his eyes searching the bushes lining the road, for the least sign of a hidden foe, failed in the growing darkness to distinguish the motionless forms of fifty grimly determined Allen County farmers, lying in a hollow at the roadside, with guns trained at the point in the road the lone horseman must pass. When he reached the point the guns spoke together. Ayres tumbled from his horse, literally riddled with lead. The mob silently separated, and a few moments later only the lessening hoof-beats of his frightened mount broke the stillness. Ayres had for weeks expected an attack, and night and day had guarded his home, not far from the scene of the shooting. Ever since his trial at Scottsville in February, on the charge of murdering his mother-in-law to secure her money, in which the jury failed to agree, he knew that his life was in danger. Men lurking at night about his home at Allen Springs, near the Warren County line, and now and then a bullet crashing through a window, warned him that Allen County residents were preparing to take the law into their own hands. With his four brothers and his wife constantly primed for instant use when the time came. Lanterns were hung on trees about the house at night so that the foe could not rush in through the dark in a sudden raid without being seen, and an alarm given. Yesterday afternoon Ayres, despite the pleadings of his wife, mounted his horse and rode to Halfway, a few miles distant to secure some minor household necessities, and it was on his way home that he was trapped. A scout stationed near the Ayres home saw him leave, and members of the mob were hastily called together. Their plans were executed without a hitch and, besides Ayres, and he is dead, none saw or recognized a single man. One day last September, Mrs. Walthol, Ayres mother-in-law who was wealthy was found dead in the cellar of his home, her body terribly bruised from head to foot. Ayres, himself, who called the neighbors and explained that his mother-in-law had fallen down the stairs in a fit or dizziness to her death. Both Ayres and his wife were arrested. At the February trial the case against Mrs. Ayres was dismissed, and after a long, sensational trial, during which excitement was high in the county, crowds besieging the courthouse day after day, the jury failed to agree in the case against the husband. Seven voted for the death penalty, while the other five gave Ayres the benefit of the doubt.

(Thursday, March 9, 1911)

Died Feb. 16, 1911,

Thomas Edward Gillespie, only son of Mr. and Mrs. T. E. Gillespie at his home near Side View. Although Thomas was only 9 years old his amiable disposition and great patience had endeared him to all who knew him. He had suffered intensely but bore his afflictions with a fortitude worthy of imitation. We miss his bright face, his patient smiles and winning ways. Yet to his parents and little sisters we would say, "Weep not for Thomas." Look up; he is not in the grave, but lives now with the angels secure from all pain, harm or evil, safe in the arms of Jesus. Not now, but in the coming years, It may be in the better land, We'll read the meaning of our tears, And there, sometimes, we'll understand. One who loved him.

(Thursday, March 16, 1911)

James House Passes Away

Prominent Business Man of Gallatin Dies From a Paralytic Stroke

Mr. James House, one of the oldest and best known citizens of Sumner County, died at his home on North Water Street in Gallatin last Sunday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock. His death, which was not unexpected, was due to paralysis with which he was attacked about four weeks ago. Mr. House was 79 years of age and a pioneer businessman of Gallatin. He established the tin shop and queensware business in which he was the senior partner at the time of his death in the same storehouse it now occupies in 1856. Three times fire has destroyed the buildings on one side or the other of his store, leaving it unharmed. Mr. House was a steward in the M. E. Church, South, at the time of his death, having been a member of that church since October, 1865. Within that time he had held every official position within the gifts of his church to a layman. He was thrice married, first to Miss Eunice R. Allen of this county. The second marriage was to Mrs. Mollie Schluter and the third to Mrs. Mattie Elkin who survives him. He is survived also by the following children: Mrs. R. G. Connell of Goodlettsville, Mrs. R. M. DuBose of Gallatin, Rufus M. House of St. Louis, Walter House of Cincinnati and K. B. House of Gallatin. A brother, R. E. House of Gallatin, also survives, and a sister Mrs. A. B. Gardner of Goodlettsville. Mr. House was at all times a man of earnest convictions and generous impulses and a citizen of sterling worth to his town and county. The funeral services were conducted at the Gallatin Methodist Church Monday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock. The burial followed at the Gallatin Cemetery.

(Thursday, March 16, 1911)

Mrs. Mary Dishman

Hartsville, Tenn., March 9. - Mrs. Mary Dishman, wife of Col. John W. Dishman, of Hartsville, died last night at 9 o'clock at the age of 72 years. Mrs. Dishman was a native of Philadelphia, Pa. She was married to Col. J. W. Dishman fifty-one years ago. She is survived by one brother, John W. Robeson, Nashville, Tenn., and a sister, Miss Sarah Robeson, of Hartsville; her husband, two daughters, Mrs. C. W. Robeson, of St. Louis, Mo., and Miss Mary Dishman, of Bowling Green, Ky., and one son, Rev. John W. Dishman, Jr., of Greeneville, Tenn. She was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Funeral Friday from the residence. Col. Dishman has been a resident of Hartsville since 1849, and is now 84 years of age, and works every day. The death of his companion is the removal of one of Hartsville's landmarks.

(Thursday, March 16, 1911)

A. E. Stanford

Hartsville, Tenn., March 9. - The remains of A. E. Stanford who died last Sunday in Oklahoma City arrived here Tuesday night. His funeral conducted by his former pastor, Rev. J. T. Oakley, at the Baptist Church yesterday, was largely attended.

(Thursday, March 23, 1911)

Levi Dorris Passes Away

At the Watauga Hotel in Nashville After a Short Illness

Levi Dorris, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dorris of Station Camp, died at his rooms in Watauga Flats in Nashville last Saturday morning after a short illness. Mr. Dorris was born in this county 34 years ago and was just in the prime of life. His untimely death came as a great shock to his numerous friends in this county where he resided until a few years ago when he removed to Nashville. He was a young gentleman of happy disposition and generous impulses who was deservedly popular with all who knew him. His remains were brought to Gallatin Monday and buried at the Douglass grave yard Tuesday morning. Funeral services were conducted at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dorris at 10 a. m., Tuesday by Rev. J. D. Robins, pastor of Douglass Chapel M. E. Church of which the deceased was a member.

(Thursday, March 23, 1911)

Respected And Aged Woman

Mrs. George Durham Dies at Her Home at Nubia After Brief Illness

Mrs. George Durham, wife of Mr. Geo. J. Durham of Nubia, died at her home early Saturday morning, March 18th, after a week's illness from pneumonia. The burial took place at 10 a. m. Sunday at the old Durham burying ground with funeral services by Rev. Mr. Baggett. Mrs. Durham was 70 years of age and had been a valued member of the Mt. Olivet Methodist Church for more than fifty years. She was a daughter of Jerry M. Hinton, who was prominent among the first settlers of Allen County, Kentucky, and was a lady of fine intellect and culture. She was a sister of John L. Hinton and Mrs. S. P. Roberts of Alexander, Ky., and Chas. H. Hinton and Mrs. James Deering of Petroleum. Mrs. Durham is survived by her husband and by five children as follows: J. Tom Durham, a prominent member of the Gallatin bar, Mrs. J. R. Griffin of Nubia, J. B. Durham, J. E. Durham and G. N. Durham.

(Thursday, March 23, 1911)

Died in Indiana

Sidney Gaines, formerly of Westmoreland, died last Thursday, March 16th, at the home of his sister, Mrs. Ella Howard, at Templeton, Indiana. His death was due to pneumonia. The deceased was born near Westmoreland on March 29th, 1893, and was a young man of exemplary life who enjoyed the esteem of the entire community. He is survived by his parents, three brothers and his sister, Mrs. Howard. The remains were brought to Westmoreland for burial.

(Thursday, March 23, 1911)

Killed at Hartsville

Carl Lester, the eight year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar L. Foust, and nephew of Hon. J. E. Foust, of Hartsville was killed at that place Monday afternoon. He was riding on the back of a buggy when the horse jumped, throwing him into the buggy wheel. There he hung by his feet for three or four revolutions, breaking his neck and causing almost instant death.

(Thursday, March 23, 1911)

Death of Thos. Patton

Was a Jockey in His Young Days and to the Last Loved Horses

Thomas Patton died Saturday morning at 10 o'clock at the home of his son-in-law, John Stone, three miles west of Gallatin after a short illness. He was a native of DeKalb County, where he was born 62 years ago, but had lived in Sumner County for a number of years. He began life as a race-horse jockey and continued to ride until age and weight debarred him from the track. In this capacity he was connected with the racing stables of some of the oldest and best turfmen of the country. Since quitting the race track he has engaged in farming in this county but to the last retained his love for the runners and trotters, as the home of which Sumner County has long been famous. Mr. Patton was a good citizen and at all times enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his associates. He is survived by his wife, a daughter, Mrs. John Stone of this county, and several brothers. The burial took place Sunday afternoon at the Gallatin Cemetery. The deceased was a member of the Free Methodist Church of Gallatin.

(Thursday, March 30, 1911)

Body Found In Cumberland

Unknown Colored Man Found Dead in River at Walton's Ferry

The dead body of an unknown Negro man was found lodged against some driftwood on the river at Walton's Ferry near Hendersonville Tuesday morning. The discovery was made by a company of raftmen who called to some men on shore. The body, which weighted about 165 pounds, was that of a person probably 35 years old. A small amount of money and some cigarette paper were found in the clothing, but nothing which would lead to identification. There were abundant evidences of foul play. Bruises appeared on the chest and throat, and there was a long gash over one eye. Esq. J. M. Summers, called a jury of inquest which, after it had heard all the evidence obtainable, reported death at the hands of unknown parties. The body, which was already partially decomposed, was buried Tuesday afternoon. It is generally believed that the body was that of a roustabout on a boat who was killed probably in a difficulty with some of his fellow workmen and thrown into the river.

(Thursday, March 30, 1911)

Died in Arkansas

Granville Goodloe, brother of Mrs. Tom Harris, and oldest son of Rev. A. T. Goodloe, died in Arkadelphia, Ark., Saturday morning, March 25th. He was scholar of the highest type; having finished the course at Webb Bros., Emory & Henry, he entered Vanderbilt the first year it opened and took the first M. A. given by that University. From childhood he was a member of the Methodist Church, and to the day of his death was a true follower of the meek and lowly Savior, A bright light has gone out here to shine in that City not made with hands.

(Thursday, March 30, 1911)

Died Tuesday Morning

Ed Ray died in Gallatin Tuesday morning at 6 o'clock. He was 60 years of age and a son of Rev. J. G. Ray, formerly of Bethpage. He was a sufferer from a mental affection and for twelve months had been confined in the county jail at Gallatin. The burial took place at Bethpage yesterday morning.

(Thursday, March 30, 1911)

Dies of Heart Disease

S. S. Myers, aged about sixty years and well-known farmer, died Saturday morning at his home, two miles east of Gallatin on the Scottsville Pike, after an illness of three weeks of heart disease. Mr. Myers was a native of Jackson County, but about ten years ago removed to this section and bought the Cobb place on the Douglass Pike, later purchasing the Capt. Day farm on the Scottsville Pike. Mr. Myers' remains were carried by boat, Saturday night, to Jackson County for burial.

(Thursday, March 30, 1911)

Dies After A Long Illness

Mrs. Georgia Malone Passes Away Saturday-Interment at Bethpage

Mrs. Georgia Malone, wife of J. W. Malone of Gallatin, died at 12:30 p. m. Saturday, March 25th, at their home on Franklin Street. Her death was due to tuberculosis, from which she had been ill for a long while. Mrs. Malone was sixty years of age and a daughter of the late David L. Johnson, for many years a prominent citizen of this county. She was twice married, first to James M. Tomkins of Gallatin, and following his death to John Wesley Malone of Bethpage. She is survived by the latter and by two children- a son, Joe Tomkins, and a daughter, Miss Laura Malone. She is survived also by one sister, Mrs. Larry W. Walker, of Gallatin. Mrs. Malone was a faithful member of the Bethpage Methodist Church. The burial took place at Bethpage Sunday morning at 11 o'clock. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. W. B. Lowry of Gallatin, assisted by Rev. I. C. Hoskins and Rev. C. R. Wade.


Sumner County, Tennessee Obituary Index

Genealogist's Companion to Research in Sumner County, Tennessee