Submitted by Robyn
The Upper Sumner Press, Portland, Tennessee - January 8, 1943
Rapid Improvement East Of The Railroad
By the late W. T. McGLOTHLIN
In the spring of 1875 A. C. Butt bought of the Thos. Buntin heirs 71 acres of land. On March 22, 1877, he bought of Martin Groves, son-in-law of James Buntin, 25 acres more, making in all 96 acres all lying east of the L & N R. R., on which nearly all of Portland east of the railroad is located except the portion north of the creek on the Gallatin road. A. C. Butt was not inclined to sell off lots. The only sale he made was two acres to his sister, Mrs. Kate Moye, where she now lives, and it was not improved until the year 1892.
A. C. Butt died June 9, 1884. Mrs. Lizzie Butt, wife of A. E. Butt, was allotted a dower of 29 acres east of the railroad depot, including the dwelling. At this time there was no other improvements on any of this land.
June 15, 1895, an auction of lots was made of all the A. C. Butt farm south of the Gallatin road. The lots were bought by the Moore boys, H. B. Lane, Dr. L. T. Lanier, and others at what was then considered good prices. The first lots improved were the warehouses on the railroad, where the wholesale grocery is now located. The remainder of the lots were soon covered with magnificent and tasty residences. This constituted the happy beginning of the tide of improvements on the east side of the railroad.
The first lots sold on the north side pf the Gallatin road and the first lot of the dower of Mrs. Lizzie Butt was to Mrs. E. G. Hobdy, and recently sold by T. D. Kirkpatrick to Mr. Robt. Lee. All these lots were sold in a short time and comfortable and neat cottage buildings went up like magic. The last one to go up was the Presbyterian Church. This street has been variously named. First it was styled and deeds so written as the Gallatin road. Then it was named "Quality Hill" Street, and lastly, from the profusion of children that were being reared on it, it was jocularly named "Squalling Street." Anyway it is a choice portion of Portland, well located, tastefully improved, and the tide of improvement moves bravely on.
The next street laid off for sale of lots was in the year 1904, and called High Street, and choice lots advanced one hundred per cent. This is the finest view of any location in Portland. J. E.. Kerley bought and improved the first lot on this street, erecting a beautiful modern cottage home. This style of building has been adopted by others, and it adds greatly to the beauty of the residences on this charming street. It is almost solidly improved, and the property on this street is steadily advancing regardless of panics and hard times. It is a delightful street on which to locate.
In the year 1908, Wheeler Street, north and parallel with High Street, was opened for sale. Mr. Edgar McNeill purchased the first lot and has erected and is occupying a nice and comly home. Mrs. Elizabeth Hamby, on the same street, has in process of erection a magnificent residence, which will, when completed, be up to date in all modern conveniences and fixtures. This street leads out to the Voss addition in east Portland, and especially laid off for this purpose, where three nice cottage homes have been erected, and perhaps others in the near future will go up. This is a splendidly located plat of lots, wide streets and crossed streets and alleys in regular city style, and may some day be the moat beautiful resident portion of the town. It is high, dry, undulating plateau, well adapted and located for that purpose, and just the proper distance from the noise and bustle of the business mart. It is a golden opportunity for those who may desire to locate in our prosperous little town.