These records have been transcribed from the originals by E. J. & C. Keen & Linda Carpenter. The information comes from privately owned records maintained by Alexander Funeral Home in Gallatin, Sumner County, Tennessee. These records are published with permission from Tony and Sue Newby Alexander, to whom we owe our sincerest thanks.
© 2003 - 2013
Alexander Westmoreland Funeral Home Records, 1958 - 1987
Enter Name of Individual in Search Engine to Locate Funeral Home Record if it Exists
History - Changing Times - Our Beginnings
For over 100 years Alexander Funeral Home and Newby Funeral Home have been helping families in the community throughout the most difficult time in their lives - the loss of a loved one.
The tradition continues today. To better serve the community we have merged both businesses into one. We are now operating as Alexander-Newby Funeral Home located at 584 Nashville Pike in Gallatin, TN. This merger will allow us to provide the same quality service that has been our tradition for many years, but at a lower cost to the families that we serve.
In November, 1907, Charles Carlos (C. C.) Alexander, at the age of 32, along with Mr. J. F. Freeman began their funeral home work in Lafayette, Macon County, Tennessee. In the year 1912, C. C. Alexander bought the business interest and stock from Mr. Freeman and formed a business of his own.
In the year 1919, Mr. Alexander moved to Liberty, Tennessee, staying for a short period then moving on to College Grove in December of 1919. In July of 1920, Mr. Alexander moved his business to Lewisburg.
In October of 1921, Mr. Alexander moved to Gallatin, where he entered into the grocery business and funeral service with E. L. and I. P. McDonald. The business was located just off the public square on East Main Street. In December of 1927, Mr. Alexander bought an old brick building on West Main Street from a Mr. Barnes. He renovated it, and started a funeral service as the sole owner.
In the year of 1924, Homer Alexander, the son of C. C. Alexander, moved from Lafayette to Hartsville and opened a funeral business there. Later in the year 1929, Alexander Undertaking Company was incorporated with C. C. Alexander, H. E. Alexander and E. D. Stinson being the original stockholders. There were now branches in Hartsville with H. E. Alexander as manager; Lafayette with managers Joe West and George Johnson; Westmoreland with E. D. Stinson managing and C. C. Alexander being manager of the main office in Gallatin, Tennessee.
In the earlier days of funeral service, C. C. and H. E. Alexander used hearses which were drawn by horses. In the year 1919, C. C. Alexander purchased his first motor hearse.
After settling in Gallatin and Hartsville, the Alexander's Funeral business continued to prosper and grow. In 1943, Mr. C. C. Alexander passed away; at which time Mr. H. E. Alexander assumed management of the entire operation until his passing in the year 1958. In that year his son, Paul D. Alexander, assumed the role as general manager.
At the present, the Alexander's no longer operate a funeral home in Hartsville, Tennessee. It was sold to a Mr. Leon Anthony in 1969, just prior to the retirement of Marie Alexander's (wife of H. E. Alexander).
The funeral home in Red Boiling Springs was opened in February of 1947, by Mr. C. L. Russell and Mr. H. E. Alexander. In October of 1955, Alexander Undertaking Company bought out Mr. Russell and on September 10, 1963, the building presently used was completed.
In l949, there was a building constructed in Lafayette to house a funeral home there. About the same time, a building was being constructed in Gallatin. The funeral home in Gallatin was then operated by Mr. J. O. Cothron, in business as Alexander-Cothron Funeral Home for a period of three years. Then on July 25, 1952, Mr. Paul and Rubye Anne Alexander relocated from Hartsville to Gallatin and assumed operation of Alexander Funeral Home. This taking place after buying out Mr. J. O. Cothron of Alexander-Cothron.
The volume of business and a parking problem forced us to seek a new location for the funeral home business in Gallatin. After a extensive search, a property was selected on Nashville Pike near the Gallatin city limits. In January of 1961, the new Alexander Funeral Home was completed.
In the fall of 1967, the house and adjoining lot next door were purchased to accommodate additional parking and provide space for future expansions.
The funeral business of Harris-Donoho (currently Newby Funeral Home) was purchased by the Alexander's. In late 1970 an addition was added to the existing building. After the completion in January of 1971, the Harris-Donoho (presently Newby Funeral Home) business was closed on East Main Street, and the two businesses were combined to be located on Nashville Pike. Five years after going out of business, Donoho (now Newby Funeral Home) resumed operation in his building uptown.
Phillip Anderson went into business in Lafayette, TN in 1977 with the Anderson & Son Funeral Home & Memorial Park that is still in operation by the Andersons. The Alexander Funeral Home in Red Boiling Springs, TN was purchased from Mr. Paul and Ruby Alexander by Phillip Anderson and renamed Anderson Funeral Home and it is still operating today. Phillip Anderson purchased the old historic Upton Funeral Home in Celina in Clay County which joins Macon County and this old funeral home was renovated and kept original and is still operating under the ownership of Phillp Anderson. Phillip & Shirley Anderson built and opened the Anderson & Anderson Funeral Home on Albert Gallatin Ave. in Gallatin, TN in March of 2001 and this funeral home was operated by the Anderson's until selling to Tony & Sue Alexander in April 2008. The Alexander Funeral Home and the Newby Funeral Home were both owned by Corporations and still operating. The Anderson & Anderson Funeral Home is now called the Family Heritage Funeral Home. Tony and his late sister got the Alexander Funeral Home Property back from the corporates and the Newby Funeral Home business was closed by the Corporation on May 16, 2008. Since that time, the property has not been operated as a funeral home but still owned by the Stonemor Tennessee Subsidiary, Inc. The Alexander Funeral Home in Gallatin had their name as Alexander-Newby Funeral Home for a short time, however, the name of Newby had to be taken off and changed back to Alexander Funeral Home.
Unfortunately, the old East Main Street building was going down fast and and certainly would not be in keeping with all the beautiful work that has been done in downtown Gallatin. The old funeral home at 202 E. Main Street Gallatin, TN. was purchased by Phillip & Shirley Anderson in April of 2013. The proposed name will be Anderson Funeral Home. They are restoring the old building back to its original beauty with antique furnishings and hope to be done with the renovation and the establishment licensed once again as a funeral home in August 2013 at which time there will be an Open House planned.
Please feel free to visit us or call us with any questions about the funeral home or any of the services that we have to offer. Alexander Funeral Home
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids