Home | Names | Stories | Pictures | Toolbox | Peter's Page | Famous Relatives on Geni | Guestbook | Site map
April 2011 - Joined GENI - Please Join our "Geni Family Group" - and Help Us Migrate Your Relatives :)
Some informatiuon already on Geni -- Last update: March 25, 2011
Rabbi Akiva Kakohen (aka Kohen-Zadik) the elder Born: in Thessaloniki /Salonika, Greece. Residence 1492: exiled from Spain. Died in Prague, Bohemia,Czech, descendant of The Kohen Gadol Elie. His son: R. Yitzchok ha-KOHEN of Buda and Galanta had a son: (Rabbi=R.) Akiva ha-KOHEN (aka KATZ) Born: in Budapest /Uban, Hungary. Died: 1496 in Prague, where he continued to serve as a rabbi, after leaving Budapest due to a fabricated libel by the nobles. Akiva had 12 sons and 13 daughters, marrying 12 of his daughters to Kohanim's. *see descendants of his son Gershon below:
R. Gershon ha-KOHEN (aka KATZ) "the Kohen" + (?)
Note: see descendants & details on Goldschmidt genealogy site OR on (JE): Isaac ben Samson Ha-Kohen, Bohemian Talmudist; died May 30, 1624, in Prague. He was assistant rabbi and magistrate of the community, and was son-in-law of the chief rabbi of Prague, Lewa ben Bezaleel, and the father of Hayyim ha-Kohen (rabbi at Frankfort-on-the-Main and at Posen) and Naphtali ha-Kohen (rabbi at Lublin). Isaac was in the habit of writing acrostic introductions to his own and other works. He wrote: a supplement to "Hatan Damim," a commentary on the Pentateuch by Samuel Runkel (Prague, 1605); glosses to "Pa'neah Raza," a small cabalistic work by Isaac ben Judah ha-Levi (ib. 1602); a commentary on the Pentateuch, in German (ib. 1608); notes on Midrash Tehillim (ib. 1613); "Kizzur Mizrahi," a commentary on Rashi to Genesis. Isaac, according to a statement in one of his glosses, was occupied for some time in the composition of a cabalistic work entitled "Sidre Bereshit." AND *see reference to Yitzhak ben Shimshon: ..native of Prague and son-in-law of Maharal (Rabbi Löw). Among other things, Yitzhak ben Shimshon was the Rabbi in Vienna and Mikulov. He was an esteemed Talmudist and philanthropist. He had published the work of older men of learning – among others, the lectures of his father-in-law (Derush al ha-Torah, Poznan, 1592) – and is considered the author of the first Yiddish translation of the Pentateuch (Basle, 1583), or at least the commentary to it (Prague, 1610). In 1592 he accompanied his father-in-law, Rabbi Löw, to an audience with Emperor Rudolf II, an account of which he also recorded. Yitzhak ben Shimshon died in 1624 and is buried in the Old Jewish Cemetery in Prague
Note: Jstor; "Chayim Cohen, her brother, the grandson of the tall R. Low, who had married Bella, the daughter of the Primator of Prague, Samuel b. Bezalel
Note: Katzenellenbogen (JE) An old, widely ramified family counting many rabbis among its members, who were and are still found in Italy, Poland, Germany, Alsace, and also in America. It derived its name from the locality of Katzenelnbogen in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau.. ..Samuel left one son, who is known under the name of Saul Wahl (Katzenellenbogen) who was supposedly elected King of Poland for one night when the nobles were unable to decide on a permanent choice OR see Katzenellenbogen-Wahl, Katzenellenbogen & Katznellenbogen on Goldschmidt site
Note: JE; A name frequent among German Jews. From the twelfth, or at any rate from the fifteenth century, the name Bacharach, in various spellings - as Bacharach, Bachrach, Bachrich, etc... derive or lived in the city Bacharach in Rhenish Prussia.. 2nd mention is of a scholar Ephraim Gumprecht Bacharach of Frankfort a.Main, quoted by Moses Minz in 15th century, is less liable to doubt. Beginning of 16th century has Menahem Man Bacharach, rabbi in Worms.. David, Asher (Anschel) and Moses Bacharach. End of 16th century the name Bacharach occurs more frequently in western Germany. In Frankfort there is a Mendel, son of Isaac Bacharach, who died there Aug. 23, 1599. His son Moses, a prominent member of the congregation, died there Sept. 11, 1620. Moses' son, Issachar Baer Gans Bacharach, a member of the rabbinate, died Aug. 24, 1678. Issachar's son, Naphtali Herz Gans Bacharach ( - Jul 8, 1709), endorses the Responsa of Jair Ḥayyim Bacharach, but does not mention that they are related, which goes to prove that, though bearing the same name, they were not of the same family. The other Bacharachs may be divided into two families; of which the one is to be traced back to Tobias ben Joseph Solomon Bacharach, who died as a martyr in Rushony (Russia) Sept. 19, 1659 with Judah and his grandson Jacob belonging to the family; while the other is distinguished by the great Talmudist, Jair Ḥayyim Bacharach of Worms.. to the latter, besides the three generations of rabbis at Worms, Samuel ( - 1615), Samson ( - 1670), and Jair Ḥayyim ( - 1702); the latter's grandson, Michael, a famous Talmudist of Prague, who died there Jan. 16, 1801; Baer Bacharach, who died at Nikolsburg Sept. 12, 1806, and was a great-grandson of Jair Ḥayyim. A brother of Michael Bacharach was Meïr, a Hebrew poet, who died in Presburg Jan. 4, 1729...OR Hugo Gold - Jungbuzlau (Mladá Boleslav), Bob Hanscom listing, geni, ref.
- R. Moses Samson (Shimshon, Simson) BACHRACH Born: 1607 in Pohořelice (Pohrlitz near Nikolsburg), Moravia. ocupation: rabbi in Goding, Leipnik, Prague and Worms. Died: Apr 9, 1670 in Worms, Germany + Dobrusch (Devora) PHOBUS /PHOEBUS Born: ca 1610 in Uherský Brod, Moravia. Married: 1627 Died: Mar 2, 1662 in Worms Father: Isaac ben Phobus /Phoebus S.B. rabbi of Coding, Beipnik, Prague, Worms. Died: 1662 Grandfather: Phöbus *2nd wife of Moses Bachrach: Phega (?) Married: 1662 Died 1666 *widow of the rabbi Cohen Nero (of Metz) son of rabbi Moses Cohen the physician and brother of Tobias Cohen "aka. Moschides"
- R. Simon Jair (Hayyim, Haim, Chayim) BACHRACH aka. "the Chavas Yoir" Born: 1638 in Leipnik nad Bečvou, Moravia. ocupation: rabbi of Coblenz, Worms. Died: Jan 1, 1702 in Worms + Sarlan /Sarl, Sarah "Dinah Sorle" (see BRILIN family) Died: Jan 1, 1703 in Worms Great-grandson: Baer Bacharach ( 9/12/1806 Mikulov) Father: rabbi Meschulam Eliezer Sussman Brilin rabbi of Fulda Grandfather: Isak Brilin (of Fulda)
Note: see Yair Bacharach on (wiki) "German rabbi, initially in Koblenz and remainder of his life in Worms and Metz. His grandmother Chava was a granddaughter of the Maharal of Prague, and his father and grandfather had served as rabbis of Metz" OR Jair Hayyim on (JE)
- Chajjim BACHRACH Born: 1661 in Mainz
- Saul Samuel Sanwel BACHRACH Died: 1739 + Revka GROTWOHL of Koblenz (Coblenz), Germany. Married: 1670 Died: 1687 Father: rabbi Meir ben Judah Selke Grotwohl *on geni ?
- Michael BACHRACH Born: Nov 27, 1730 occupation: famous Talmudist in Prague, Bohemia. Died: Jan. 16, 1801 in Prague *ref. "..sohn des Samuel-Sanwil B. aus einer deutschen Rabbinerfamilie, 1780 Stiftsrb. an der Prager Klaus des Simeon Kuh, zugleich Dajan in Prag (als „dritter Oberjurist“ unter Ez. Landau, 1793 zweiter, 1794 erster). 1793 Polemik mit Samuel Landau. Wegen seines Einschreitens gegen die Frankisten war er am „23. Cheschwan 1800“ kurzzeitig in Haft; Legenden knüpfen sich an seinen kurz vor dem. Tod ausgestoßenen Fluch über die Sekte. Verheiratet mit Nechle (gest. 1775); ein Sohn, der rabb. Gelehrte Issaschar Bär B., starb 1812 in Mikulov (Nikolsburg) in Mähren. Eine Tochter heiratete. B.s Nachfolger El. Fleckeles. Publ. Halachische Korrespondenz mit Samuel Landau in Ez. Landau, Nōdā' bĪhūdāh, II, OH 3.- "
- Meir BACHRACH occupation: Hebrew Poet. Died: Jan. 4, 1729 in Bratislava (Presburg), Slovakia
*descendants changed the name to BACHER, his great-grandson was the Hebrew poet Simon Bacher (1823-1891), the father of professor William Bacher (1850 - 1913) of Budapest
- ?source same as below? Rabbi Samson (Simson) BACHRACH ? Born: 1657 in Hemsbach. Died: ? Mar 1, 1753 in Worms, Germany. occupation: Money-Collector, a job that only reliable people could hold + (?) *4 daughters and 5 sons
- Malka BACHRACH Born: ca.1680 + Rabbi Zalman (Salomon) (see SPITZ /SHPITZ family) occupation: President of Beit Din in Eisenstadt
- Samson BACHRACH "Aschkenas" Died: Jul 16 (3rd Ab), 1721 in Mikulov (Nikolsburg), Moravia + Cheile BRÜNN Father: Isaac Brünn *references; booksread.com, Records of the Franklin family and collaterals
- Sara Sussel BACHRACH Died: Nov 8, 1762 + Menachem Mendel FRÄNCKEL aka "die Fränckelin" Died: Apr 18, 1761 buried in Wrocław (Breslau), Poland
- Benjamin Wolf FRANKLIN Born: abt. 1740 Died: 1785 + Sarah Israel JOSEPH Married: Aug 28, 1765 in London, England. Died: Apr 11, 1785 buried in London
- Abraham FRANKLIN Born: May 19, 1784 of Manchester, England. Died: Jan 1854 buried in Anherm + Miriam AARON Born: Mar 29, 1789 Married: Dec 19, 1807 Died: Aug 11, 1870 buried in Manchester
- Dobrasch (Dobrusch) BACHRACH Died: 1736 in Worms + Salomon "Moses" (see OPPENHEIM family) Born: in Worms? Died: 1737 in Worms
- Chawa BACHRACH Born: abt 1650 or 1660 in Worms. Died: 1701 in Hemsbach or Laudenbach + Juda Löb OPPENHEIM Born: abt 1650 of Hemsbach. Died: 1701 in Hemsbach or Laudenbach Siblings: Salomon "Moses" Oppenheim *above
- Malca BACHRACH
- ? Sussman BACHRACH Died: 1670
- ? Gabriel BACHRACH
- Menachem MANN + (?)
- Israel HASSELOVITSCH + (?) *parents of Binyamin ? geni
- Sarah BACHRACH Born: ca 1608 + Rabbi Lipman (Lob) GINZBURG Born: in Prague, Bohemia. Died: Apr 2, 1664 *geni Father: rabbi Simon Günzburg /Gunzburg *same as on flow chart ?
- Miria GINZBURG Died: 1680 in Prague, Bohemia + Meir HAZAN
- Hinde BACHRACH Born: 1610 Died 1641 in Prague, Bohemia + Liebermann DARSCHAU or Darschan Father: Löb Darschau
- Perl BACHRACH Born: 1612 Died: 1617 in Prague, Bohemia
- Teltzl (Telzel) Sabla BACHRACH Born: ca 1614 Died: 1669 in at Prague, Bohemia + Rabbi Moshe (Moses, Perz, Perez) SABIL (Sabla, Sabele) LAVITZ occupation: rabbi of Schneittach
- Simon LOVOTIK /born Lavitz Died: 1729 + Rebecca LOVOTIK Died 1714 Father: Favid Lovotik
- Rrabbi Isaac (Yitzhak ) LOVOTIK occupation: Primator of Prague
- Shmuel LAVITZ
- Slove BACHRACH Died: 1621 in Vienna, Autria + Jacob TEOMIM of Prague *his 2nd wife Father: Meschulem Solomon Teomim
- Lea BACHRACH + Moses "aka. Mosche PniLiPPBtiRG" Father: Abraham (?)
- daughter Bobrusch (?)
- Fogele BACHRACH + Rabbi Solomon SCHULHOF occupation: "moschels", rabbi assessor of Prague, Bohemia. Died: 1689
- daughter BACHRACH Died: 1666
- Isaac BACHRACH Died: 1689 + (?) COHEN Father: rabbi Ephraim Cohen rabbi of Ofen, Prague
- Hendlein BACHRACH + David OPPENHEIM of Worms Father: Isachar Oppenheim *same as ? Hendlein Brilin & David Oppenheimer, son of Issachar Oppenheimer of Worms, parents of Gitle Oppenheimer who married Zadok ben Baruch, ggg-uncle of Simon Openheimer on Oppenheimer page ?
Contact: Peter Rohel, 42 Cardigan Rd., Toronto, ON, Canada M8Z-2W2 | Copyright: © 2004-2012