Search billions of records on

The Ancestors of Vickie Beard Thompson


Donald Ray BEARD

NOTES: Don dropped out of high school in 1950 and enlisted in the U.S. Navy. For a while he served on the same ship as his older brother Harold. The ship was called the U.S.S. Tanner. He also had a tour of duty in Panama. After his honorable discharge from the Navy, he went back to high school for awhile at Woodlake High where he met his wife to be, Bertha Irene Woodburn. They were married in "Vegas". Most of his married life he has worked as a painter and paper hanger. He and a lot of other people in Calloway County think he is the best. He learned some of the trade from his father. About 1977, he and all of his family moved to Murray, Caloway County, Kentucky where they still reside. They bought a few acres several miles out of Murray and most likely will stay there. His wife Irene, works at the WalMart in Murray and their children are living in Caldwell, Trigg, and Christian Counties. Don is retired on S.S. and still does some painting and paper hanging to suppliment his S.S. He spends as much time as he can fishing and playing golf. (This little bio written by his brother Frank Beard.)

OBITUARY: Murray Ledger & Times Newspaper, Thursday, 13 May 2004
Donald Ray BEARD ==== The funeral for Donald Ray BEARD will be Thursday at 1 p.m. in the chapel of Imes-Miller Funeral Home of Murray. John MURDOCK will officiate. Pallbearers will be Glen BEARD, Aaron BEARD, Cory NETTERFIELD, David BEARD, Paul GUY, Kevin McINTOSH, James BARNETT and Tim WALLS. Burial will follow in the Sugar Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be at the funeral home from 4 to 8 p.m. today (Wednesday). Mr. BEARD, 71, Center Ridge Road, Murray, died Sunday, May 9, 2004, at 12:20 p.m. at his home. A wallpaper hanger, he was a member of Latter Day Saints and Murray Country Club. His wife, Irene BEARD, and one brother, Harold WALLS, both preceded him in death. Born Sept. 1, 1932, he was the son of the late Aubrey BEARD and Jessie DOSS BEARD. Survivors include two daughters, Mrs. Rebecca PHILLIPS, Murray, and Mrs. Cynthia LEONARD and husband, Michael, Booneville, Missouri; two sons, Glendal BEARD and Aaron BEARD and wife, Allison, all of Murray; three sisters, Mrs. Helen LOFTIS and husband, J. B., and Mrs. Dale WEST and husband, Bud, all of Woodlake, California and Mrs. Violet MAHAN and husband, Norris, Fresno, California; five brothers, George BEARD and wife, Louise, and Jack BEARD, all of Murray, Frank BEARD and wife, Jean, Salt Lake City, Utah and Bobby CORLEY and wife, Charlene, Henderson, and William TEAGUE, Sonoma, California; eight grandchildren; six great-grandchildren.

Jackie Loy BEARD

NOTES: Jack, Jackie, Chicken Man, Jason, Ricky and Check Ragstraw are a few of the names that were given him over the years. Being a twin, his growth was a bit slower and he only made it to a little over six feet tall. When he and his twin were about four years old and I was about three, a lot of folks thought we were triplets. By the time he was seven, I passed him in heighth and from then on was known as his " big little brother'. Jack worked in the building trades most of his adult life. Heart problems and diabetes has forced an early retirement so a lot of his time now is spent enjoying his little ones. After several unsuccessful trips to the hospital, he finally brought home a boy. Of course he had to be named Jason. When we were young boys in Woodlake, California Jack and I used to roam the foothills around the outskirts of town from morning till dark. We had under water swiming contest in the St. Johns river, nearly drowned together in Lake Bravo. Got shot at, beat up by Mexicans and Okies, chased by dogs and otherwise just had a normal every day life. On my birthday in 1941, we were cutting wood for the stove so mother could make a birthday cake for me. I was holding the wood with my foot while Jack chopped. He missed the wood, hit my foot and made a big cut on the top. A few days later we were cutting wood again. This time he had his foot on the wood. Guess what happened. You're right. We both have identical scars to this day. Jack's favorite things to do at present is go fishing, go fishing, go fishing and collecting old coins. He has given and traded several of his coins to me. He is active in his church. Served a "Church Building Mission" in 1965 in Ohio and other areas. Being next to me age-wise, we have had a lot of fun times together and plan to have several more before the lights go out. (This little bio written by his brother Frank Beard.)

NOTES: Daddy, just called at 11:59 AM and told me he had just gotten off the phone with Uncle Bobby and he told him Uncle Jack had just passed away in Murray, today, Thursday, 15 July 2004. I sure am glad I got to see him in June when I was back home. Daddy called back tonight and said that he found out Uncle Jack had really died Wednesday night around 9 PM.

NEWSPAPERS: Murray Ledger and Times, Friday, 16 July 2004
Jack L. BEARD, 70, Nash Drive, Murray, died Wednesday, July 14, 2004, at 8:55 p.m. at his home. J. H. Churchill Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.


He was baptized at St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Parish at Church Hill.

CENSUS RECORDS: 1790 St. James, Caswell, North Carolina