Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Damnitz


Damnitz was founded by the Teutonic Order in 1326, and its first
church was built soon after. In 1348 the Schlochau commandant
Johann von Barkenfelde bequeathed the privilege of running a malt
mill to, "the Klawkoni, called Kassube." This mill was finally
dismantled in 1929. In 1352 the commandant Ludolf Hake bequeathed 62
fields to the first local magistrate, Dampnitz, for the purpose of
settling colonists. In 1433 an attack by the Bohemian Hussites
severely damaged the village. After the Reformation, the church was
used for 50 years by the Protestants and the Czluchow pastor Elhard
held religious services here. The present church was erected in 1796
in half-timbered design and renovated in 1894 as a stone structure.
A school opened in 1789. Kasimir Hass began his duties as a village
teacher 1800, but the parents initially refused to send their
children to him because he could neither write nor do arithmetic.
Hass promised, "to thoroughly practice," and was allowed to teach
until 1806. Damnitz/Debnica is exceptional in having four
cemeteries; an old and a new Evangelical, and an old and a new
Catholic. From the book: Kashubia, Homeland of the Baltic Slavs.
The Catholic Church in Damnitz from the County Calendar of 1930.

Die Katholische Kirche in Damnitz von Kreiskalendar 1930.
Damnitz wurde von die Deutsche Ritterorden in 1326 gegründet, und
seine erste Kirche wurde bald danach gebaut. In 1348 vermachte der
Schlochau Kommandant Johann von Barkenfelde das Privileg vom Starten
einer Malz-Mühle zu, " der Klawkoni, gerufener Kassube ". Diese
Mühle wurde schließlich in 1929 auseinandergenommen. In 1352
vermachte der Kommandant Ludolf Hake 62 Felder zum ersten örtlichen
Friedensrichter, Dampnitz, für den Zweck vom Entscheiden von
Kolonisten. In 1433 beschädigte ein Angriff vom böhmischen Hussites
das Dorf schwerwiegend. Nach der Reformation wurde die Kirche 50
Jahre von den Protestanten und den Czluchow benutzt, die Pfarrer
Elhard hier religiöse Dienste hielt. Die gegenwärtige Kirche wurde
in 1796 in Fachwerk Design errichtet und wurde in 1894 als eine
Stein-Struktur renoviert. Eine Schule öffnete in 1789. Kasimir Hass
fing seine Pflichten als ein Dorf Lehrer 1800 an, aber die Eltern
lehnten anfangs ab, ihre Kinder zu ihm zu schicken, weil er weder
schreiben könnte, noch könnte er Rechnen machen. Hass versprach,
"gründlich zu üben," und wurde erlaubt, bis 1806 zu unterrichten.
Damnitz/Debnica ist im Haben von vier Friedhöfen außergewöhnlich;
ein alt und ein neu Evangelisch, und ein alt und ein neuer Katholik.
Von das Buch: Kashubia, Heimat vom Baltische Slaws.



The Catholic Church in Damnitz built in 1894. From the book: Das Schlochauer Land 1981.

Die Katholische Kirche in Damnitz gebaut in 1894. Vom Buch: Das Schlochauer Land 1981.



Harvest time by Damnitz. From the book: Das Schlochauer Land 1981.

Erntezeit bei Damnitz. Vom Buch: Das Schlochauer Land 1981.



The volunteer fire department. Foto from the Schlochauer Heimat Stube in Northeim.

Die Freiwillige Feuer Abteilung. Foto von die Schlochauer Heimat Stube in Northeim.



An 1912 postcard showing the church, school and guesthouse. Foto from
the Schlochauer Heimat Stube in Northeim.

Eine 1912 Poskarte zeigt die Kirche, Schule und Gasthaus. Foto von
die Schlochauer Heimat Stube, Northeim.