This cemetery was named for the A. B. Garner Family who
came to Polk County in the
early 1840's. They settled on property located near the Trinity River. By the early 1960's
this small family cemetery still had a wrought iron fence around it but no visible markers.
When Lake Livingston, an 80,000 acre lake, was created this cemetery was flooded
and is now at the bottom of the lake. Two descendants of this family, Mrs. Corrine Brock
Hollenburger and Mr. Curtis M. Garner, Sr. purchased a memorial monument and placed it
in the Garner lot/section of the Old City Cemetery in downtown Livingston. This marker
provides the information on the Garner family. (See Old City Cemetery in our Index).
Located close to the Garner family cemetery was the
Garner Prairie Cemetery which
served the black community of the area. Before the lake was created the Trinity River Authority
contacted the descendants of those buried in this cemetery and moved the graves and markers to
St. Andrews Cemetery and Grace Hill Cemetery. (See Index for these cemeteries).