This Genealogy of Jans (or Hans) Jurig Schmidt is the work of Roy Lattimer Smith, with contributions from Paul K Smith and Della Mae Smith Plyler, prepared in the 1979-80 time period, and heavily annotated by Della. Generation 9 was added by this editor, son of Della. Because it is a large tree, it consists of three separate files. Part 1 consists if Generations 1through 5; Part 2 consists on Generations 6 and 7; and Part 3 consists of Generations 8 and 9.
1. JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT was born 1717 in Alsace Lorraine, Germany, and died January 16, 1756. He married CATHERINE BARBARA SCHAFFER, daughter of ADAM SCHAFFER and ANNA WEILAND.
Notes for JANS JURIG SCHMIDT:
Schmidt migrated from along the Rhine River in Germany, sailed from Rotterdam abaord the Ship Winter Galley. Landed at Philadelphia in September 1738, at the age of 21. Settled on a farm near his friend Wilhelm Best, who had migrated in 1737, also aboard the Winter Galley. Their farms located near present day Walnutport, Lehigh Twp, Northampton County along the Lehigh River. The farm of Jacob Dorn was nearby.
Schmidt was killed by Indians along with 9 other German settlers on January 16, 1756. The Indians had burned a church and killed many nearby settlers. This information is taken from a copy of the Pennsylvania Gazette, January 1756, written in German of the raid of the Moravian Indians from Bethlehem PA, and the defeat of Gnadenhutten. His last son, John George Smith I, was born after his death.
Notes for CATHERINE BARBARA SCHAFFER:
Catherine was a sister of Anna Susanna, wife of Wilhelm Best. Catherine was executor of her husband's will. She married John Dorn, son of Jacob Dorn, at Walnutport. In 1777 they moved as a family to Westmoreland Cty, as a group with a number of other families.
Children of JANS SCHMIDT and CATHERINE SCHAFFER are:
2. i. JOHN GEORGE  SMITH I, b. September 02, 1756,
Walnut Port, North Hampton Cty, PA; d. December 23, 1826.
ii. CATHERINE SMITH.
iii. JACOB SMITH.
iv. MARGARET SMITH, m. FREDERICK HENRY.
v. ADAM SMITH.
vi. LEONARD SMITH, b. 1755; d. 1838, Hempfield Twp, PA.
vii. PHILLIP SMITH, b. 1746; d. 1824.
2. JOHN GEORGE  SMITH I (JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born September 02, 1756 in Walnut Port, North Hampton Cty, PA, and died December 23, 1826. He married ELIZABETH MICKAFOOS. She was born 1759, and died 1845.
Notes for JOHN GEORGE SMITH I:
John George Smith was born after the death of his father at present day Walnutport, Northampton Cty, PA, near Lehigh Gap and the Appalatchian Trail.
At age 21, along with his mother and stepfather, brothers and sisters, moved through the wilderness over the mountains following traders' paths Indian and game trails to Westmoreland Cty to the area known at that time as Brush Creek Settlement or the Palantine Settlement.
Court records show that he owned 300 acres of land located along what was then known as Old Glade Road where the village of Arona is located today. Old Glade Road was the road from Somerset to Pittsburgh. His land was bordered by farms owned by Anthony Stewart, John Stough, Lewis Long, and the Errat Claim.
Veteran, Revolutionary War
Children of JOHN SMITH and ELIZABETH MICKAFOOS are:
i. ADAM  SMITH, b. 1775; d. 1829.
Notes for ADAM SMITH: Had 4 children
ii. PETER SMITH, b. 1777.
iii. JACOB SMITH, b. 1779; d. 1829.
iv. ELIZABETH SMITH, b. 1781.
v. JOHN SMITH, b. 1783.
3. vi. JOHN GEORGE SMITH, SR., b. February 05, 1785, Brush Creek, PA; d. September 18, 1877, Armstrong County, PA.
vii. DANIEL SMITH, b. 1786.
viii. SUSANNA SMITH, b. June 18, 1787.
ix. DAVID SMITH, b. 1791; d. 1800.
x. MARY SMITH, b. 1792.
3. JOHN GEORGE  SMITH, SR. (JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born February 05, 1785 in Brush Creek, PA, and died September 18, 1877 in Armstrong County, PA. He married CATHERINE EVA NOLF 1807, daughter of LAWRENCE NULPH and MARGARET. She was born 1786, and died March 07, 1868 in Armstrong County, PA.
Notes for JOHN GEORGE SMITH, SR.:
The following is based on census records, land deeds, surveys, Bible notations, and legend.
He was a gunsmith who manufactured muzzle loading guns. He was a hunter, lover of nature, an expert at calling wild game with a self-made buckhorn call, a fisherman, and trapper. He was a part-time government employee. Ge was employed as a surveyor's assistant, axman, rodman, and chain carrier with the Holland Land Company. It was through this employment he became acquainted with the Armstrong Cty area.
He moved from Brush Creek to Armstrong Cty between 1807 and 1810, first to a location between Distant and Putneyville, remaining there just a short time, then moved to his Father-in-Law's farm on the west bank of Mahoning Creek. According to legend, his first son was born at Petersburg (present-day Timlin) August 4, 1809, which is the area of the west bank of the Mahoning.
On September 17, 1839 he purchased from Willeneck & Co. a division of the Holland Land Co. 105 acres. This land later became known as the Best farm. Presently (in 1980) owned by the Stroup family, owners and operators of the Creek Bend Camp Grounds, where the Smith reunion is held.
On September 18, 1846 he purchased 20 acres 140 perches of the Orr tract in Mahoning Twp for the sum of $20. Source: History of Armstrong Cty, by Robert Walker Smith, published 1883.
He married Catherine Nolf, daughter of Casper and Phoebe. The Nolfs are buried in the old Smith Cemetery surrounded by a stone fence. George and Catherine are buried in the Eddyville Cemetery at St. Mark's Lutheran Church.
Children of JOHN SMITH and CATHERINE NOLF are:
4. i. JOHN GEORGE  SMITH, JR., b. August 04, 1809; d.
July 18, 1891, New Bethlehem, Armstrong Cty, PA.
5. ii. PHOEBE SMITH, b. 1811.
6. iii. PETER SMITH, b. 1813; d. Washington.
iv. MARY SMITH, b. 1814; m. (UNKNOWN) HOLLINBAUGH.
7. v. JOHN M. SMITH, b. February 28, 1816; d. May 16, 1875, Armstrong County, PA.
8. vi. DAVID SMITH, b. December 10, 1816; d. April 03, 1902.
9. vii. ELIZABETH SMITH, b. 1818.
10. viii. SUSANNE SMITH, b. August 03, 1823; d. September 18, 1873.
4. JOHN GEORGE [4 SMITH, JR. (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born August 04, 1809, and died July 18, 1891 in New Bethlehem, Armstrong Cty, PA. He married (1) AMELIA THOMAS. He married (2) CATHERINE BECK, daughter of DANIEL BECK. She was born August 01, 1810, and died January 18, 1848.
Notes for JOHN GEORGE SMITH, JR.:
Many of the descendents of John George Smith, Sr. worked and spent time at or near Weedville, during the great timber harvest of that area (1860s until early 1900s).
On May 25, 1841 John Smith purchased 161 acres 25 perches from Orr for the sum of $162. Source: History of Armstrong Cty, by Robert Walker Smith, published 1883.
Children of JOHN SMITH and CATHERINE BECK are:
11. i. DANIEL  SMITH, b. 1833; d. 1926.
12. ii. ELIZABETH CATHERINE SMITH, b. 1839.
13. iii. GEORGE D SMITH, b. March 08, 1841; d. June 20, 1921.
iv. SUSANNA SMITH, b. September 22, 1842; d. June 29, 1932; m. JAMES WALKER; b. October 10, 1845; d. November 10, 1929.
Notes for JAMES WALKER: Lived Smicksburg, PA for 52 years.
14. v. WILLIAM HENRY SMITH, b. 1844; d. 1938, Weedville, PA.
15. vi. CHRISTENA SMITH, b. 1845; d. 1927.
5. PHOEBE  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1811. She married WILLIAM BROOKS.
Children of PHOEBE SMITH and WILLIAM BROOKS are:
i. JAMES  BROOKS, b. 1830.
ii. MATILDA BROOKS, b. 1832.
iii. SUSANA BROOKS, b. 1834.
iv. MARTHA BROOKS, b. 1836.
v. MARY BROOKS, b. 1838.
vi. ESTHER BROOKS, b. 1840.
6. PETER  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1813, and died in Washington. He married (UNKNOWN) DOVERSPIKE.
Notes for PETER SMITH: Moved to Washington State - had 4 children.
Children of PETER SMITH and (UNKNOWN) DOVERSPIKE are:
i. DANIEL  SMITH.
ii. CATHERINE SMITH, m. CARDIE VANCE.
iii. RUBIN SMITH.
Notes for RUBIN SMITH: Single, moved to Canada. Killed there.
16. iv. WILLIAM SMITH.
7. JOHN M.  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born February 28, 1816, and died May 16, 1875 in Armstrong County, PA. He married CATHERINE POTTS May 1839, daughter of JOHN POTTS and CATHERINE WHITEHEAD. She was born March 06, 1820, and died March 24, 1884 in Armstrong County, PA. Buried at Eddyville/
Children of JOHN SMITH and CATHERINE POTTS are:
17. i. LUCINDA CATHARINE [5 SMITH, b. April 22, 1840; d. April
18. ii. SAMUEL SMITH, b. April 02, 1842; d. November 30, 1919, Eddyville, Armstrong County, PA.
19. iii. WILLIAM DAVID SMITH, b. December 27, 1843.
20. iv. GEORGE J. SMITH, b. January 10, 1846; d. May 10, 1901, Armstrong County, PA.
21. v. JOHN J SMITH, b. January 03, 1848; d. February 23, 1927, Armstrong County, PA.
vi. DANIEL SMITH, b. February 07, 1850; d. November 12, 1860.
Notes for DANIEL SMITH: Diptheria
vii. RACHEL JANE SMITH, b. February 20, 1852; d. October 26, 1860.
Notes for RACHEL JANE SMITH: Diptheria
22. viii. ROSANNA SMITH, b. March 23, 1856.
23. ix. PETER HENRY SMITH, b. April 25, 1858; d. January 28, 1901, Armstrong County, PA.
24. x. MARGARET BELL SMITH, b. May 20, 1865; d. June 1917, California.
8. DAVID  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born December 10, 1816, and died April 03, 1902. He married JULIAN THOMAS.
Notes for DAVID SMITH:
Lived on the old homestead. 1860 census shows J. George Smith Sr., retired farmer, age 75, living with his son, David.
Children of DAVID SMITH and JULIAN THOMAS are:
i. LAVINIA E [5 SMITH, b. 1851; d. April 13, 1860.
ii. WILSON SMITH, b. 1860; d. June 20, 1862.
iii. RUBIN SMITH, b. August 15, 1861.
iv. ARCH SMITH, m. JESSIE CUNNINGHAM.
25. v. PRISCILLA CATHERINE SMITH.
26. vi. LEAH SMITH.
27. vii. ANNA MARY CARLOTTIA SMITH, b. 1867; d. 1941.
viii. SARAH ANN SMITH, b. 1874; d. July 20, 1876.
ix. SIMON SMITH, b. 1857; d. January 30, 1860.
9. ELIZABETH [4 SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1818. She married WILLIAM PONTIUS.
Children of ELIZABETH SMITH and WILLIAM PONTIUS are:
i. SOLOMIN [5 PONTIUS, b. 1838.
ii. LUCINDA PONTIUS, b. 1841.
iii. SUSANNA PONTIUS, b. 1843.
iv. GEORGE W. PONTIUS, b. 1845.
v. OBADIAH PONTIUS, b. 1846.
vi. DAVID PONTIUS, b. 1848.
10. SUSANNE  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born August 03, 1823, and died September 18, 1873. She married JOHN HOFFMANN. He was born 1817, and died 1908.
Children of SUSANNE SMITH and JOHN HOFFMANN are:
28. i. JESSE  HOFFMANN, b. 1846; d. 1904.
ii. CATHERINE (KATE) HOFFMANN, b. 1847.
iii. RUBIN HOFFMANN, b. 1849; m. MATTIE TOM.
iv. GEORGE HOFFMANN, b. 1850.
29. v. LUCILLE (LUCY) HOFFMANN, b. 1852.
30. vi. HENRY J HOFFMANN, b. 1853; d. 1942.
31. vii. JACKSON HOFFMANN, b. 1855.
viii. ELIZABETH HOFFMANN, b. 1856.
ix. SARAH HOFFMANN, b. 1857.
32. x. DANIEL HOFFMANN, b. 1858.
xi. MICHAEL F HOFFMANN, b. 1860.
33. xii. MILES D HOFFMANN, b. 1862.
xiii. TURNEY HOFFMANN, b. 1864.
11. DANIEL  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1833, and died 1926. He married LAVINA MILLIRON. She was born 1841, and died 1927.
Notes for DANIEL SMITH:
On October 10, 1872 Daniel purchased 97 acres and 66 perches of the Orr tract for the sum of $625. Source: History of Armstrong Cty, by Robert Walker Smith, published 1883.
Children of DANIEL SMITH and LAVINA MILLIRON are:
i. SARA ELLE (SADIE) [6 SMITH, b. January 26, 1864; m. WILLIAM
J ANDERSON; b. 1859; d. 1946, new Bethlehem.
34. ii. IDA FLORENCE SMITH, b. July 31, 1865; d. 1941.
iii. LORETTA MAY SMITH, b. October 10, 1867; m. GEORGE BARGERSTOCK; d. 1865.
iv. ELMIRA LOUISE SMITH, b. September 21, 1869; d. 1944; m. JOHN R FARSTER; b. 1867; d. 1940, Templeton, PA.
v. WILSON JAMES SMITH, b. October 24, 1871; d. April 07, 1957.
Notes for WILSON JAMES SMITH:
Never wed. Lived on old homestead located north side of McCrea Furnace Bridge, originally the John George Smith Jr farm.
35. vi. MARY CATHERINE SMITH, b. September 04, 1873.
36. vii. ANNA CLARA SMITH, b. September 16, 1875.
viii. LAURA VIOLA SMITH, b. September 02, 1877; d. Detroit, MI; m. PAUL ALMAKER.
ix. GRIER ORR SMITH, b. June 20, 1880; d. 1905.
Notes for GRIER ORR SMITH: Killed in train accident
x. ISAAC DANIEL SMITH, b. August 30, 1882; d. January 01, 1961.
Notes for ISAAC DANIEL SMITH: Died in mining accident, Numine, PA
37. xi. LAVINA PEARL SMITH, b. March 30, 1885.
38. xii. MARGARET DELLA SMITH, b. March 23, 1887.
12. ELIZABETH CATHERINE  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1839. She married DANIEL SCHRECKENGOST.
Child of ELIZABETH SMITH and DANIEL SCHRECKENGOST is:
i. SUSANNA CATHERINE  SCHRECKENGOST.
13. GEORGE D  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born March 08, 1841, and died June 20, 1921. He married MARY LONG, daughter of JACOB LONG, SR. She was born May 22, 1847, and died March 20, 1918.
Notes for GEORGE D SMITH:
Civil War vet. Enlisted 1862 PA Volunteers, Co B, 78th Reg. Wounded twice. Once in the wrist by a bayonet, and once by a bursting shell shrapnel. Participated in battles of Stone River, TN, Chickamaugua, Lookout Mountain, Nashville, and Atlanta. Was only one of 70 men to escape capture at Chickamaugua.
1866: GD Smith purchased a timber tract in Elk Cty and engaged in lumbering for 8 years. Also operated a boat yard for several years, near Eddyville, where flat boats were constructed. Boats were constructed bottom side up, then turned over when launched. The flat boats were used to transport pigiron and lumber to Pittsburgh during the spring high water runoff.
Children of GEORGE SMITH and MARY LONG are:
i. KINGSLEY PARK  SMITH, b. November 27, 1870; d. April
39. ii. ELLEN AUGUSTA SMITH, b. May 10, 1872; d. April 05, 1958.
iii. ROBA ESTELLA SMITH, b. January 13, 1874; d. January 31, 1951.
Notes for ROBA ESTELLA SMITH: Never married.
iv. RACHEL SUSANNA SMITH, b. February 10, 1876; d. June 14, 1949; m. FELIX DIFFENDEFFER.
v. BERTHA MARY SMITH, b. September 05, 1877; d. January 26, 1961; m. LLOYD SQUIRES.
40. vi. DAVID GRIER SMITH, b. March 24, 1878; d. June 08, 1933.
vii. SARA VIOLA SMITH, b. January 21, 1881; d. April 15, 1892.
viii. HARRY SMITH, b. May 18, 1883; d. February 10, 1884.
41. ix. ADA MABEL SMITH, b. January 23, 1885; d. October 06, 1958.
42. x. OSCAR ORR SMITH, b. July 12, 1882; d. April 15, 1964.
xi. ALICE LULU SMITH, b. September 07, 1889; d. March 18, 1912.
43. xii. IVA HAZEL SMITH, b. October 27, 1891; d. August 11, 1950.
14. WILLIAM HENRY  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1844, and died 1938 in Weedville, PA. He married HANNAH AMELIA GRIFFITH.
Children of WILLIAM SMITH and HANNAH GRIFFITH are:
44. i. GEORGE EDWARD  SMITH.
45. ii. WILLIAM HENRY SMITH, JR..
iii. DANIEL SMITH, m. MINNIE RANG.
iv. MARY SMITH.
46. v. JACOB SMITH.
47. vi. ABIGAIL ELIZABETH SMITH.
48. vii. CLARA SMITH.
15. CHRISTENA  SMITH (JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1845, and died 1927. She married GEORGE WASHINGTON REESMAN, son of JOHN REESMAN. He was born 1847, and died 1923.
Children of CHRISTENA SMITH and GEORGE REESMAN are:
49. i. CLARK  REESMAN, b. 1866; d. 1926, Eddyville.
ii. JOHN REESMAN, b. 1867; d. 1867.
50. iii. KINGSLEY P. REESMAN, b. 1871; d. 1907, Clarion Cty, PA.
51. iv. BLANCH REESMAN, b. 1875.
v. MARGARET REESMAN, b. 1878; m. JAKE KIMMERDINNER.
52. vi. INEZ REESMAN, b. 1880; d. 1963.
53. vii. WILSON REESMAN, b. 1880; d. 1951.
54. viii. JAMES REESMAN, b. 1884; d. 1958.
16. WILLIAM  SMITH (PETER , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) He married MARY WARD.
Child of WILLIAM SMITH and MARY WARD is:
i. FLORENCE  SMITH.
17. LUCINDA CATHARINE  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born April 22, 1840, and died April 14, 1918. She married ADAM HETRICK, son of JOHN HETRICK. He was born 1818, and died 1896.
Children of LUCINDA SMITH and ADAM HETRICK are:
55. i. ETTA MAE  HETRICK, b. March 27, 1858; d. October
ii. MARGARET BELL HETRICK, b. 1869; d. December 09, 1877.
iii. KINGSLEY ADAM HETRICK, b. April 27, 1873; d. May 08, 1965.
56. iv. MATILDA RACHEL HETRICK, b. 1872.
57. v. CORA LAVINA HETRICK, b. March 04, 1875; d. November 12, 1953.
58. vi. WESLEY SHARP HETRICK, b. March 18, 1878.
59. vii. MARTHA HETRICK, b. 1880; d. July 03, 1923.
18. SAMUEL  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born April 02, 1842, and died November 30, 1919 in Eddyville, Armstrong County, PA. He married RACHEL SOFIAH BITTINGER January 21, 1870 in Belnap, PA by Rev Pennypacker, daughter of CORNELIUS BITTINGER and MARGARET BAUGHMAN. She was born November 29, 1851 in Echo, PA, and died November 26, 1921 in Eddyville, Armstrong County, PA.
Notes for SAMUEL SMITH: Served in the 78th Regiment PA Volunteers
Children of SAMUEL SMITH and RACHEL BITTINGER are:
i. JOSEPH JOSIAH [6 SMITH, b. November 08, 1870; d. August 15, 1944.
Notes for JOSEPH JOSIAH SMITH: Never married; Left home as a young man and went to Washington State. Lived for a time with his aunt Jane (Bittinger) Johnston. Worked at lumbering and retail.
60. ii. CHARLES LEANDER SMITH, b. September 21, 1872, Armstrong
County, PA; d. March 23, 1957, Eddyville.
61. iii. JAMES CORNELIUS SMITH, b. July 26, 1874, Armstrong County, PA; d. March 07, 1936.
iv. MILES ALBERT SMITH, b. February 01, 1877, Armstrong County, PA; d. May 13, 1940, Armstrong County, PA.
Notes for MILES ALBERT SMITH:
Never married. With his brother, Samuel, lived on the farm inherited from their father, later known as the Sam Smith Farm near Eddyville.
62. v. SAMUEL MONROE SMITH, b. February 01, 1879, Armstrong County, PA; d. April 10, 1962, Franklin, Venango Cty, Pennsylvania.
19. WILLIAM DAVID  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born December 27, 1843. He married LYDIA GASTON.
Child of WILLIAM SMITH and LYDIA GASTON is:
i. FLORA  SMITH, m. LLOYD LINDRUF.
20. GEORGE J.  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born January 10, 1846, and died May 10, 1901 in Armstrong County, PA. He married SAVILLA CATHERINE WISE December 25, 1880, daughter of JONAS WISE. She was born May 16, 1855, and died June 20, 1945 in Armstrong County, PA.
Notes for GEORGE J. SMITH: Nicknamed "Big George Smith" not because of his relatively short stature, but because he wore a size 13 shoe. He was givem no middle name - added the J himself. Lived on his father's farm, part of his father's inheritance.
Notes for SAVILLA CATHERINE WISE: Could neither read nor write, but had an exceptional memory for birth, death, and wedding dates. Buried in Eddyville, Armstrong Cty, PA
Children of GEORGE SMITH and SAVILLA WISE are:
i. JERRY TAYLOR  SMITH, b. October 07, 1881; d. January
11, 1974; m. MARY SELL.
Notes for JERRY TAYLOR SMITH:
Lived on the old homestead of John Smith bordering the Mahoning Dam Property
63. ii. JAMES PARK SMITH, b. June 12, 1883; d. 1972.
64. iii. WAVIE ISOLA SMITH, b. March 03, 1893; d. August 13, 1974.
iv. MAGGIE ARMELDA SMITH, b. April 09, 1885; d. December 12, 1896.
21. JOHN J  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born January 03, 1848, and died February 23, 1927 in Armstrong County, PA. He married (1) HANNAH MCGREGOR. She was born 1850, and died 1916. He married (2) HANNAH MCGREGROR. She was born July 16, 1859, and died 1916.
Notes for JOHN J SMITH: Was not givean a middle name. Took J as middle initial. Buried Eddyville, Armstrong Cty, PA
Children of JOHN SMITH and HANNAH MCGREGROR are:
i. GILBERT  SMITH, b. November 07, 1877; d. February
17, 1944; m. JENNIE DEHAVENS; b. May 25, 1904; d. 1964.
Notes for GILBERT SMITH: Owned and operated the general store in Eddyville
65. ii. WILLIAM KINGSLEY SMITH, b. January 24, 1880; d. December 11, 1918.
66. iii. ADESSA MAE SMITH, b. September 05, 1882; d. December 29, 1975.
iv. CLARK SMITH, b. May 14, 1885; d. July 01, 1903, Mosgrove, PA.
Notes for CLARK SMITH: Construction worker. Killed i n fall from a bridge at Mosgrove, PA
67. v. MARY IDELLA SMITH, b. November 20, 1887; d. March 07, 1929.
vi. ANNIE SMITH, b. July 08, 1890; d. July 08, 1890.
68. vii. LENORA SMITH, b. July 08, 1890.
69. viii. CLARA SMITH, b. February 03, 1900; d. December 11, 1921.
22. ROSANNA  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born March 23, 1856. She married ABE COLE.
Children of ROSANNA SMITH and ABE COLE are:
i. ALBERT  COLE.
ii. WILLIAM COLE.
iii. IRA COLE.
iv. MAE COLE.
23. PETER HENRY  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born April 25, 1858, and died January 28, 1901 in Armstrong County, PA. He married SAMANTHA JULIAN HETRICK. She was born November 04, 1856, and died January 24, 1924.
Children of PETER SMITH and SAMANTHA HETRICK are:
70. i. FRANKLIN BURTON [6 SMITH, b. October 09, 1875; d.
February 02, 1956.
71. ii. DELPHIA ELMIRA SMITH, b. September 12, 1880.
iii. EMMA MAZIE SMITH, b. 1883; d. 1884.
iv. CLARENCE W SMITH, b. September 06, 1888; d. June 30, 1890.
v. CLARA SMITH, b. 1886; d. 1890.
72. vi. VIOLA MAUDE SMITH, b. May 29, 1887; d. August 18, 1967.
73. vii. OSCAR PHILLIP SMITH, b. August 12, 1891; d. August 30, 1979.
74. viii. ROLLAND C SMITH, b. July 23, 1894; d. February 27, 1974.
24. MARGARET BELL  SMITH (JOHN M. , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born May 20, 1865, and died June 1917 in California. She married ROLAND CURTAIN BURKEY.
Children of MARGARET SMITH and ROLAND BURKEY are:
i. GRACE ALTA [6 BURKEY, b. May 27, 1888.
ii. ALICE IRENE BURKEY, b. June 30, 1890.
75. iii. ALONZO WALTER BURKEY, b. December 07, 1891.
iv. BESSIE TWILA BURKEY, b. December 18, 1893.
25. PRISCILLA CATHERINE  SMITH (DAVID , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) She married WILLIAM D SCHRECKENGOST.
Children of PRISCILLA SMITH and WILLIAM SCHRECKENGOST are:
76. i. SID [6 SCHRECKENGOST.
ii. WAYDE R SCHRECKENGOST, b. February 23, 1900; m. TERESA BONETT.
iii. DOROTHY SCHRECKENGOST, m. (UNKNOWN) PUTNEY.
iv. WILLIAM SCHRECKENGOST.
v. ANNA SCHRECKENGOST.
vi. HAZEL SCHRECKENGOST, m. WILLIAM RUPP.
26. LEAH  SMITH (DAVID , JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) She married FRANK MAURER.
Children of LEAH SMITH and FRANK MAURER are:
i. ALFRED [6 MAURER.
ii. MARY MAURER.
iii. HULDA MAURER.
iv. CORA MAURER.
27. ANNA MARY CARLOTTIA  SMITH (DAVID , JOHN GEORGE [3, JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1867, and died 1941. She married JOHN L ENGLE. He was born 1869, and died 1957.
Notes for JOHN L ENGLE: Operated a large steam cider mill on Baker Trail Road near Eddyville
Children of ANNA SMITH and JOHN ENGLE are:
i. HARLAN  ENGLE, m. DORA ADAMS.
ii. ARMINTA ENGLE, m. EINCEL HIMES.
iii. IVA ENGLE, m. ROLAND SCHRAUGER.
28. JESSE  HOFFMANN (SUSANNE  SMITH, JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1846, and died 1904. He married MARY ELIZABETH SCHRECKENGOST June 14, 1873 in Lutheran Parsonage, Kellersburg, PA, daughter of WILLIAM SCHRECKENGOST. She was born September 25, 1850, and died September 29, 1933.
Children of JESSE HOFFMANN and MARY SCHRECKENGOST are:
i. KINGSLEY ELSWORTH  HOFFMANN, b. 1874; d. 1877.
ii. MINA FLORENCE HOFFMANN, m. PILGRIM SOWERS.
77. iii. ANNA MAY HOFFMANN.
78. iv. CLARA GERTRUDE HOFFMANN.
v. GRACE LEE HOFFMANN.
79. vi. BESSIE EDNA MARIE HOFFMANN.
29. LUCILLE (LUCY)  HOFFMANN (SUSANNE  SMITH, JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1852. She married WILLIAM BENNETT.
Children of LUCILLE HOFFMANN and WILLIAM BENNETT are:
i. FLORA  BENNETT, m. (UNKNOWN) FORMAN.
ii. BERTHA BENNETT, m. (UNKNOWN) DAVIS.
30. HENRY J  HOFFMANN (SUSANNE  SMITH, JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1853, and died 1942. He married MARTHA J (MATTIE) NEAL. She was born 1864, and died 1939.
Children of HENRY HOFFMANN and MARTHA NEAL are:
i. IRENE A  HOFFMANN, b. 1885; d. 1922; m. GEORGE
KESPELHER; b. 1878; d. 1936.
ii. REUBEN HOFFMANN, b. 1890; d. 1934.
31. JACKSON  HOFFMANN (SUSANNE  SMITH, JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE [2, JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1855. He married JENNIE.
Children of JACKSON HOFFMANN and JENNIE are:
i. JOHN  HOFFMANN.
80. ii. FLORA HOFFMANN.
32. DANIEL  HOFFMANN (SUSANNE  SMITH, JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1858. He married GRACE.
Child of DANIEL HOFFMANN and GRACE is:
i. MARIEN  HOFFMANN.
33. MILES D  HOFFMANN (SUSANNE  SMITH, JOHN GEORGE , JOHN GEORGE , JANS JURIG  SCHMIDT) was born 1862. He married ELIZABETH ORR.
Children of MILES HOFFMANN and ELIZABETH ORR are:
i. BERTHA [6 HOFFMANN, m. (UNKNOWN) ALCORN.
ii. PEARL HOFFMANN, m. (UNKNOWN) BUZZARD.
iii. FIRM HOFFMANN, m. SARAH HEETER.
iv. GEORGE HOFFMANN.
v. CHARLES HOFFMANN.
vi. JOHN HOFFMANN.
vii. MICHAEL HOFFMANN.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids