Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Kelly's Directory 1873 - Parish of Phillack


PHILLACK or St Felicitus, is a parish in the western division of the county, hundred of Penwith, union and county court district of Redruth, rural deanary of Penwith, archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter.

6 miles south-west of Camborne, on the shore of St. Ives Bay.  This parish contains a large portion of the town of Hayle.  The church of St. Felicitus was rebuilt , with the exception of the tower, in 1856; it is in the middle pointed or decorated style, has chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, vestry, organ and tower with three bells.

The register dates from the year 1560.  The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Gwithian annexed; tithes commuted at 522 with residence and 3.5 acres of glebe land, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Frederick HOCKIN, M.A. of St Johns College, Cambridge.

A new ecclesiastical parish was formed out of the western part of this parish in 1870, called St Elwyn's of which the Rev William HORSBURGH B.A., of Trinity College Dublin, is the incumbent, and the rector of Phillack the patron.  There are three National and Sunday schools for boys and girls.  The principal landowners are F.G. GREGOR esq., Lord ROBARTES, Sir John St. AUBYN, bart, M.P. GREGOR esq., Mrs TYRINGHAM, and the family of the late Rev. Wm. HOCKIN.

The soil is sand and killas; subsoil, sand and granite in parts of the parish.  The chief crops are Barley and Oats, with considerable pasturage.  The area is 2,907 acres, of which 209 are water and sand hills, on the coast, locally called Towans, gross estimated rental of 11,435; rateable value 9,544 and the population in 1871 was 4,854.

Parish Clerk: W.J. BLEWETT

For Postal Arrangements see Hayle

Insurance Agents:
Liverpool and London Globe: BANFIELD Bros
London and Manchester: N TAYLOR
Prudential: BANFIELD Bros
Royal: HOSKEN and Son
Scottish Amicable: J HAMBLEY
Scottish Equitable: G BAZELEY
West of England: J POLGLASE

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS
Literary Institute
Stamp Office: John ROBERTS distributor
Registrar of Births/Deaths/Marriages: W ROSEWARNE
National School: G S HILLMAN master; E A ROGERS and E S ROGERS Mistresses

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
William ABBOTT Venton League
William CLEMENTS 13, Clifton Tce
Peter COLLETT 9, Clifton Tce
John Frederick ELLIS Riviera House
James FLOYD 11 Clifton Tce
James HAMBLEY 14, Clifton Tce
Mrs HARRIS 1 Clifton Tce
Miss HARRY Clifton Tce
Rev Frederick HOCKIN M.A. Rectory
Charles HOCKIN Bodriggy House
Rev William HORSBURGH B.A. (Incumbent of St Elwyn)  St John Street
John KING 7 Clifton Tce
Richard MATTHEWS 16. Clifton Tce
Thomas MILLS 6, Clifton Tce
Henry MURT 12, Clifton Tce
Edward PEARCE 18, Clifton Tce
Mrs QUICK Church Town
Richard RULE 8, Clifton Tce
John SHAIL 17, Clifton Tce
Edward STEVENS 15, Clifton Tce
William TREVASKIS 19, Clifton Tce
Mrs WILLIAMS 10, Clifton Tce

COMMERCIAL
Job BERRYMAN Farmer Kayle
John BERRYMAN Farmer Leah
Nicholas BERRYMAN Farmer Troon
Richard BREE Farmer Laity
Peter FLOYD Shopkeeper Angarrack
William GOLDSWORTHY Farmer Pulsack
William HARRIS Shopkeeper
Nicholas HOLMAN Shopkeeper, Churchtown
Wm HOSKEN and Son Millers Loggan
Samuel HOSKEN Farmer, Carwin
James JONES Farmer Trevassack
Joseph William KELWAY New Inn Literary Institute
Stephen MATTHEWS Civil Engineer 2, Clifton Tce
Edward MITCHELL Shopkeeper
Mrs Ann PENGELLY Shopkeeper Clifton Tce
John ROBERTS Stamps Office Distributor
John ROSEWARNE Farmer Nanpuska
James ROSEWORTHY Farmer
Thomas SAMPSON Engineer, Angarrack
Andrew STEVENS Farmer Treglisson
John STEVENS Farmer Treeve
John THOMAS Farmer Tringey
Christopher TREWHELLA Farmer Riviera
John TREWHELLA, Farmer Trenearth


[Back to Other Records]    [Back to Home Page]