Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Cornish Copper Company

Hayle firstly became a coal port, and also exported ores, particularly copper, to be smelted in Swansea in Wales and Bristol.  In 1704 a large tin smelter was erected at Angarrack and in 1710 a copper smelter was erected in Penpol both of which prospered for many years.

Then in the early 1754 copper smelting began in the Camborne area and a partnership, which was formed in 1758 to develop this enterprise, decided to move to Hayle to be closer to the newer coal quay.

The Cornish Copper Company ("CCC") was established and the parish of Phillack entered the industrial era and boom times.  The company built up a large work force and the population of the parish grew from circa 400 in 1750 to over 1400 by the turn of the century. They also began importing coal, timber, limestone, iron and other goods into Hayle.

In 1791 a residence for the Manager of the CCC, John Edwards, a protégé of Dr William Borlase, was built on land rented from the Rector of the Parish, a fine house of the period which is still standing. 1805-6 saw the churchyard walls built of scoria blocks, a result of the copper smelting process - black blocks which today may be seen all over the town, the dock walls, houses, etc.  The church paid 9 pence per scoria block but to the employees of the Company they were free to build their own houses on Company land.

There was great rivalry between CCC and Harvey's.  (see story)

The following are some of the people who were connected with the CCC from "The History of the Cornish Copper Company" by W.H.Pascoe.

Use your browser's find function to search for the surname(s) of interest to you.

SURNAME

FIRST

BORN

DIED

TRADE

NOTES

ANDREW

FRANCIS

1815

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ANDREWARTHA

HENRY

1830

-

Engineer

ANDREWARTHA

JOHN

1832

-

Blacksmith & Smith

ANDREWARTHA

PHILIP

1825

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ANGOVE

ANDREW

1806

-

Boilermaker

ANGOVE

JOHN

1824

-

Blacksmith & Smith

ANGOVE

JOSIAH

1821

-

Engineer

ANGOVE

RICHARD

1826

-

Boilermaker

ANGOVE

WILLIAM

1800

-

Ropemaker

ARTHUR

JOHN

1806

-

Mason

ASHWIN

ALFRED

1816

-

Painter

BAILEY

WILLIAM

1815

-

Labourer

BAKER

JAMES

1818

-

Carpenter & Joiner

BAKER

WILLIAM

1769

-

Carpenter & Joiner

BAKEWELL

JOHN Jnr

1816

-

Wareman

BAKEWELL

JOHN Snr

-

-

Wareman

BALL

ISAAC

1789

1865

Labourer

BALL

JOHN

1827

-

Engineer

BANFIELD

JAMES Jnr

1826

1902

Blacksmith & Smith

BANFIELD

JAMES Snr

1802

1886

Blacksmith & Smith

BARKER

JOHN

1780

-

Labourer

BARKER

THOMAS

1812

1869

Ironfounder

BARNES

NICHOLAS

1771

-

Labourer

 

BARNES

WILLIAM

-

1749

 

Witness (Glazier)

BARNES. WILLIAM ( -1749)
A glazier of St Erth now 80 years old. He said that after acquiring the Carnsew property, the CCC ran it down, neglected it and stocks of coal were then transferred to Copperhouse.

BARONS

THOMAS

1810

-

Blacksmith & Smith

BARONS

WILLIAM

1819

-

Artisan & Mechanic

BASSETT

FRANCIS, SIR

1757

1835

Partner

BASSETT, Sir FRANCIS (1757-1835)
Of Tehidy Park, Camborne; son of Francis, MP for Penryn 1766-1769 and Margaret St Aubyn; educated at Harrow and Eton and King's College, Cambridge, MA 1786. Toured Europe with Rev. William Sandys; Recorder of Penryn 1778; Baronet 1779; MP for Penryn 1780-1796; created Baron De Dunstanville of Tehidy in 1796 and Baron Bassett of Tehidy in 1797.

Patron of science, literature and the arts and a political writer. A granite obelisk to his memory was erected by public subscription at the top of Carn Brea.

Partner in the CCC Deed of 1779 with 2,000 pounds.

BASTIAN

THOMAS

1817

-

Clerk

BASTIAN

WILLIAM

1806

-

Blacksmith & Smith

BECKERLEG

JAMES

1826

-

Engineer

BENNETT

ROBERT

1811

-

Carpenter & Joiner

BERRIMAN

JOHN

1824

-

Shipwright

BICKLE

JOHN

1817

1873

Engineer

BIGGLESTON

NICHOLAS HENRY

1835

-

Labourer

BIGGLESTONE

PHILLIPS

1803

-

Moulder

BIRD

WILLIAM

1784

1864

Artisan & Mechanic

BISHOP

HENRY

1801

-

Blacksmith & Smith

BISHOP

NICHOLAS

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

BLEWETT

EDWARD

1811

-

Labourer

BLEWETT

GABRIEL Jnr

1820

-

Porter (Coal)

BLEWETT

GABRIEL Snr

1796

-

Labourer

BLEWETT

GEORGE

1827

-

Moulder

BLEWETT

JOHN

1761

-

Labourer

BLEWETT

THOMAS

1766

-

Labourer

BLEWETT

THOMAS

1835

-

Artisan & Mechanic

BLEWETT

WILLIAM

1766

-

Ironfounder

BLEWETT

WILLIAM

1812

-

Ironfounder

BLEWETT

ZACHARIAS

1828

-

Labourer

BLIGHT

RICHARD

1794

1874

Carpenter & Joiner

BOADEN

JAMES

-

-

Moulder - Head

BOADEN, JAMES
Head of the Moulders when the CCC closed down in 1867.

BODDY

JAMES

-

-

Miner

BODDY, JAMES
One of the 13 Trustees who in 1815 leased a plot of land at Lower Trevassack on which to build the new Copperhouse Methodist Chapel. A miner, living at Wheal Alfred.

BOULDEN

JOHN

1825

-

Labourer

BOULDING

THOMAS

1829

-

Artisan & Mechanic

BOWDEN

BENJAMIN Jnr

1827

-

Moulder

BOWDEN

BENJAMIN Snr

1800

-

Moulder

BOWDEN

HENRY

1811

-

Smelter

BOWDEN

HENRY

1826

-

Engineer

BOWDEN

JAMES

1800

-

Ironfounder

BOWDEN

JOHN

1805

-

Labourer

BOWDEN

JOHN

1811

-

Blacksmith & Smith

BOWDEN

JOHN

1820

-

Labourer

BOWDEN

JOSEPH

1815

1874

Labourer

BOWDEN

RICHARD

1826

-

Moulder

BOWDEN

SAMUEL

1816

-

Moulder

BOWDEN

THOMAS

1774

-

Witness (Farmer)

BOWDEN, THOMAS (1774- )
A farmer aged 54 at Riviere and a tenant of the CCC in the 1820's. He was born at Constantine, moved to Crowan and then to Phillack at the age of 16. About 7 or 8 years before he was Waywarden for Phillack parish and used slag from the Copperhouse furnaces to repair the roads.

Others who were also Waywardens at the same time were Mr Wearne, Mr Stevens and Mr Cardew, all old farmers in the parish. He agreed that the CCC had to distrain on his cattle about 2 years ago for unpaid rent (120 pounds pa) and he went to prison for seven weeks.

He had received hundreds of pounds for carriage from Wheal Alfred.

BOWDEN

THOMAS

1829

-

Ropemaker

BOWDEN

WILLIAM

1823

-

Ropemaker

BRANCH

WILLIAM

1748

-

Witness (Farmer)

BRANCH, WILLIAM (1748- )
Of Gwinear now 81 years old, worked for a farmer of that parish called Christopher Hendra who kept mules for carrying copper ore from the mines to Hayle. Other similar carriers engaged were PAULL of Camborne and NICHOLAS BLEWETT.

BRAY

WILLIAM

1823

-

Engineer

BROGGAN

JOHN

-

-

-

BROGGAN, JOHN
A CCC employee who retired c1818-1820 with a pension.

BROWN

JOHN

1786

1865

Labourer

BROWN

THOMAS

1803

-

Cordwainer

BRYANT

GEORGE

1815

-

Labourer

BRYANT

WILLIAM HENRY

1836

-

Carpenter & Joiner

BURGESS

WILLIAM

1782

-

Clerk

BURGESS

WILLIAM Jnr

1823

-

Engineer

BURT

CHARLES

1805

-

Labourer

BURT

HENRY

1796

-

Shipwright

BURT

JAMES

1824

-

Engineer

BURT

RICHARD

1828

-

Shipwright

BURT

ROGER

1806

-

Shipwright

BURT

WILLIAM

1786

-

Shipwright

CADDY

JOHN

1820

-

Ropemaker

CADDY

SAMUEL

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

CALLAWAY

THOMAS

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

CALLOWAY

WILLIAM

1815

-

Whitesmith & Tinsmith

CARBINES

HENRY

1806

-

Plumber

CARBINES

JOHN

1758

-

Witness (Labourer)

CARBINES, JOHN (1758- )
Labourer of Phillack, now 71 years old. He had lived at St Erth for 40 years and could remember when a John Perkin kept Burt's House.

CARBINES

RICHARD

1786

-

Labourer

CARNE

JOSEPH

1782

1858

Partner

CARNE, JOSEPH FRS (1782-1858)
Of Penzance, the eldest son of William Carne, (qv) banker; succeeded John Edwards as Trustee / Manager of the CCC in 1807 and went to live in Riviere House in Phillack until he resigned as Manager in 1818 and moved to Penzance. A prominent Methodist and Purser of Wheal Arthur in Phillack and Relistian in Gwinear with several others; in 1823 became a Partner in the Penzance Bank of Batten, Carne and Carne. In 1828 leased Angarrack Smelting House with Thomas and William Bolitho until it was sold in 1838. In 1832/33 with his brother William, acted as Assistant Collector of Customs, Mayor of Penzance in 1836 and in 1838 a Magistrate, Banker and Merchant.

Member of a Delegation to the Chancellor of the Exchequer to abolish Coinage Dues. Treasurer of Hayle Turnpike Trust; Treasurer and Trustee of the Royal Geological Society of Cornwall, Vice President of the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society at Falmouth. He wrote many papers on Cornish Geology, becoming a recognised authority.

CARNE

WILLIAM

1754

1836

Partner

CARNE, WILLIAM (1754-1836)
Of Penzance, father of Joseph (1782-1858); Agent for Herland Mine in Gwinear and a partner in the Penzance bank of Batten, Carne & Carne. Partner in the CCC Deed of 1802 and signed as a Trustee in 1807, leasing a Carnsew property to Thomas Ellis (qv).

CARTHEW

BENJAMIN

1825

-

Blacksmith & Smith

CARTHEW

FRANCIS

1829

-

Blacksmith & Smith

CARTHEW

JOHN

1815

-

Blacksmith & Smith

CARTHEW

WILLIAM

1816

-

Blacksmith & Smith

CHAMPION

HUGH

1821

-

Sawyer

CHAMPION

RICHARD

1776

-

Sawyer

CHAMPION

THOMAS

1805

-

Labourer

CHEGWIN

EDWARD

1821

-

Moulder

CHENOWETH

ARTHUR

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

CHENOWETH

THOMAS

1810

-

Labourer

CHILCOTT

GILBERT HELE

1734

1810

Partner

CHILCOTT, GILBERT HELE (1734-1810)
Son of Joseph Chilcott of Ottery St Mary in Devon. Joined his uncle Gilbert Chilcott as a Solicitor in Helston and succeeded him as Agent to the Hawkins family. Married in 1773 to Margaret Williams of St Keverne, issue 3 sons and 3 daughters. Moved to Bosvigo, Truro c1790. Partner in Deed of 1779 with £1,000 pounds in CCC.

CHILD

WILLIAM HENRY

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

CHINN

EDWARD

1838

-

Limeburner

CHINN

EDWARD

1809

-

Labourer

CHINN

GEORGE

1810

1873

Labourer

CHINN

JOHN

1801

1870

Porter (Coal)

CHINN

ROBERT

1798

1868

Labourer

CHINN

THOMAS

1780

-

Labourer

CHINN

THOMAS

1811

-

Labourer

CHINN

THOMAS

1830

-

Labourer

CHINN

WALTER

1801

-

Labourer

CHINN

WALTER

1808

-

Labourer

CHINN

WILLIAM

1796

-

Labourer

CHINN

WILLIAM

1831

-

Ironfounder

CHINN

WILLIAM

1824

1873

Labourer

CHINN

WILLIAM

1803

-

Labourer

CHINN

WILLIAM

1770

-

Labourer

CHINN

WILLIAM

1817

-

Ironfounder

CHINN

ZACHARIAS

1815

-

Labourer

CHRISTOPHER

WILLIAM

1822

-

Ironfounder

CLEMENCE

RICHARD

1757

-

Witness

CLEMENCE, RICHARD (1757- )
Of Phillack, 71 years old, was born at Troon and worked for the CCC for 40 years. His father and uncle worked at Curnow's on the South Quay. He admitted that with 20 or 30 men he went and knocked down a lighter from the stocks, being ordered by Captain Harry Prideaux and Mr Millett. His old superiors were later Mr Carne and then Mr William Vivian (1813-1870). The old well was just below the North Quay. Others who retired from the CCC at the same time with pensions were: Christopher Millwood, William Wearne, James Morshende, John Broggan and Jacob Luke.

COCK

WILLIAM

1767

-

Witness (Farmer)

COCK, WILLIAM (1767- )
Aged 61 of Gwithian was a farmer leasing his land from the CCC. He drove mules for his uncle Roger Cock, carrying copper ores and coals to and from the mines and the wharves at Copperhouse.

COCK

WILLIAM

1827

-

Blacksmith & Smith

COLLINS

JOHN

1811

-

Mason

COLLINS

THOMAS HARRIS

1809

1869

Engineer

COODE

JOHN, SIR

1779

1858

Partner

COODE, Sir JOHN KCB (1779-1858)
Rear Admiral of the Blue; married to Jane Penrose in 1819; granddaughter of Rev. John Trevenen (qv). Partner in Deed of 1849.

COOPER

JOHN

1755

-

Witness (Gardener)

COOPER, JOHN (1755- )
A Gardener of Lelant, now 74 said that CCC's vessels discharged their cargoes in the Hayle River alongside their quays or at Bristolman's Dock, as it was called.

COOPER

SAMUEL

1796

-

Shipwright

CORIN

RALPH

1761

-

Witness (Carrier)

CORIN, RALPH (1761- )
A carrier from Gulval, now 68 brought copper ore from Wheal Cock mine at St Just to the Hayle wharves for many years, probably from 1770 onwards. He also brought tin from (An)garrack Mill to Penzance for Mr Joseph Carne and his father and for Mr William Bolitho.

COURAGE

PETER

1813

-

Blacksmith & Smith

COURTIS

HENRY

1811

-

Labourer

COURTIS

JAMES

1836

-

Artisan & Mechanic

COURTIS

JOHN

1751

-

Witness

COURTIS, JOHN (1751- )
Aged 77 years old in 1828, had worked for the CCC for at least 30 years.

CRAZE

JOHN

1811

-

Boilermaker

CURRY

NICHOLAS

1816

-

Mason

CURRY

SAMUEL

1819

-

Carpenter & Joiner

CURTIS

JAMES

1806

-

Boilermaker

CURTIS

JAMES

1820

-

Ironfounder

CURTIS

WILLIAM

1811

-

Labourer

DALE

JOHN

1816

-

Blacksmith & Smith

DALLET

JOHN

1824

-

Artisan & Mechanic

DAVEY

JOHN

1800

-

Carpenter & Joiner

DAVEY

JOHN

-

-

Engineer

DAVEY, JOHN
An Engineer for the Herland and Wheal Alfred mines, who was also one the 13 Trustees with James BODDY (qv).

DAVEY

JOSEPH

1781

-

Clerk

DAVEY

WILLIAM

1790

-

Blacksmith & Smith

DAVIES

GEORGE MILLETT

-

-

Partner

DAVIES, GEORGE MILLETT
Merchant of Treneere in Madron, related to the Millett family of Marazion, and Penpol in Phillack. Owned shares in the vessels - Ocean, Margaret, Medora, Wave, and Alma registered at Hayle. Partner in 1849 Deed and in 1867 acquired a further £2,000 pounds interest from W H Prance. With Rev John Vivian-Vivian, Rector of Cardinham, took an active part in the realisation of CCC's assets at its close down.

DEEBLE

JOHN

-

-

Ropemaker

DEEBLE, JOHN
Son of ROBERT DEEBLE of Looe; carried on a business as a Ropemaker at Copperhouse between 1754 and 1780.

DENNIS

JAMES

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

DONNITHORNE

NICHOLAS

1790

-

Carpenter & Joiner

DREW

JOHN

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

DUDLEY

THOMAS

1831

-

Carpenter & Joiner

DUSTING

JOSEPH

1819

-

Shipwright

DUSTING

MARTIN

1826

-

Shipwright

DUSTING

WILLIAM

1781

-

Shipwright

EDDY

RICHARD

1825

-

Labourer

EDDY

WILLIAM

1827

-

Labourer

EDWARDS

JOHN

1731

1807

Partner

EDWARDS, JOHN (1731-1807)
Of Ludgvan, Manager of CCC from 1765 to 1807; moved into Riviere House when it was built in 1791. A friend of Dr William Borlase (Rector of Ludgvan) from his youth. Became a friend of James Watt and Matthew Boulton, the famous engineers; corresponded with and visited them in London; in 1778 assisted William Pryce in compiling his 'Mineralogia Cornubiensis'; entertained Davies Gilbert and the young Humphrey Davy in his laboratory at Riviere House. His sons, John and Joseph, became Solicitors in Truro and acted for the CCC in later years. Partner in first Deed of 1758 with £500 pounds which he increased to £3,000 pounds in 1779.

EDWARDS

THOMAS

1831

-

Engineer

ELLIOT

GEORGE

1832

-

Artisan & Mechanic

ELLIS

CHRISTOPHER

-

-

Brewer

ELLIS, CHRISTOPHER
A half brother of HANNIBAL ELLIS (qv) Took over the Brewery in Copperhouse in 1815.

ELLIS

FRANCIS Jnr

1826

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ELLIS

FRANCIS Snr

1801

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ELLIS

HANNIBAL

-

1867

-

ELLIS, HANNIBAL ( -1867)
Son of John Ellis, a partner in Harris, Ellis and Co. trading at Carnsew c.1750 and Catherine, his wife (1786-1844). He married his second wife Anne Trevithick. He was also one of the 13 Trustees with James BODDY (qv). In 1856 was an Agent for the Copperhouse Foundry per Post Office Directory. Part owner of the schooners - Ocean, Margaret, Wave and Alma registered at Hayle.

ELLIS

JAMES

1828

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ELLIS

PETER

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ELLIS

RICHARD

-

-

Witness (Limeburner)

ELLIS, RICHARD
Now of Phillack, a lime burner. He was born in St Erth and was now 65 years old. He and his uncle John Ellis worked for the CCC at Carnsew but left in 1809 to go and work for Harvey. He had helped to erect a weir for Harris, Ellis and Co at Carnsew. He said that stones etc were taken from the Carnsew Estate and cliff by that firm to build the weir, a practice that was continued by the CCC.

ELLIS

ROBERT

1831

-

Artisan & Mechanic

ELLIS

THOMAS

1812

-

Labourer

ELLIS

THOMAS

1831

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ELLIS

THOMAS

1755

-

Clerk

ELLIS, THOMAS (1755- )
Son of John & Elizabeth Ellis; lived at Carnsew and became a clerk for the CCC 1798-1808; an under-tenant of CCC of a house and premises from 1798-1817; a formal lease of 1807 from CCC gave him a 14 year tenancy at £15 pounds p.a. Apparently not the same Thomas Ellis who became a Partner of Henry Harvey (1811-1880) and was also involved with the Tin Smelting Works at Angarrack.

ELLIS

WILLIAM

1810

-

Labourer

EUSTICE

GEORGE (Snr & Jnr)

-

-

Engineers

EUSTICE GEORGE (Senior & Junior)
A father and son partnership of Engineers in Hayle. Linked mainly with the Copperhouse Foundry, they were responsible for the design and erection of many Cornish engines in West Cornwall in the period 1816-1880.

EUSTICE

HENRY

1811

-

Engineer

EUSTICE, HENRY (1811- )
An Engineer of Hayle who in 1865 owned shares in the vessels Maria and Betsy, registered in Hayle.

EUSTIS

PETER

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

EVENS

JOHN

1808

-

Labourer

FAULL

HENRY

1811

-

Engineer

FAULL

THOMAS

1821

-

Blacksmith & Smith

FLOYD

JAMES

1816

-

Labourer

FLOYD

PHILIP

1804

-

Labourer

FLOYD

RICHARD

1791

-

Sawyer

FLOYD

THOMAS

1826

-

Sawyer

FLOYD

WILLIAM

1803

-

Engineer

FLOYD

ZACCHEUS

1813

-

Engineer

FLOYD, ZACCHEUS (1813- )
An engineer at CCC and joint owner with JAMES MERRIFIELD and WILLIAM BOSWORTH of the vessel 'Rechabite' (18.62 tons) registered at Hayle and sold in Sept 1867 to Swansea.

FORWARD

JOHN

1832

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GEORGE

THOMAS

1781

-

Painter

GIBBS

SYLVANUS

1750

-

Witness (Customs Officer)

GIBBS, SYLVANUS (1750- )
Aged 79 of St Ives and a former Customs Officer. He could remember Burt's House occupied by Anne Perkins and later by a Mrs Rogers.

GIELLONS

JOHN

1831

-

Engineer

GIELLONS

RICHARD

-

-

Engineer

GILBARD

FRANCIS

1801

-

Labourer

GILBARD

JOHN

1806

-

Labourer

GILBARD

JOHN

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GILBART

FRANCIS

1780

-

Coal Measurer

GILBART

RICHARD

1786

-

Labourer

GILBART

RICHARD

1826

-

Labourer

GILBART

THOMAS

1766

-

Painter

GILBART

THOMAS

1806

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GILBERT

DAVIES

1767

1840

-

GILBERT, DAVIES FRS (1767-1840)
Of Tredrea and later Trewinnard, both in St Erth; became President of the Royal Society; Patron of Richard Trevithick and Humphrey Davy; MP for Helston and later Bodmin for 30 years; responsible for the choice of Brunel's design for the Clifton Suspension Bridge at Bristol; Author of 'A Parochial History of Cornwall'; friend of the CCC's manager JOHN EDWARDS, visiting him at Riviere House with the young Humphry Davy.

GILBERT

GEORGE

1802

-

Carpenter & Joiner

GILBERT

GEORGE

1833

-

Engineer

GILBERT

JAMES

1828

-

Labourer

GILBERT

JOHN

1760

-

-

GILBERT, JOHN (1760- )
A CCC employee promoted from Copperhouse to a post at the Rolling Mills at St Erth; member of the first Copperhouse Methodist Society and the founder in 1783 of the St Erth Methodist Class.

GILBERT

JOHN

1786

-

Labourer

GILBERT

JOHN

1817

-

Labourer

GILBERT

JOSEPH

1821

-

Labourer

GILBERT

JOSHUA Capt

-

-

Ships Master

GILBERT, Capt JOSHUA
Master of the ship 'Riviere' (195 tons) built by the CCC in 1860.

GILBERT

LEWELLIN

1815

-

Labourer

GILBERT

RICHARD

1804

1870

Porter (Coal)

GILBERT

RICHARD

1805

-

Labourer

GILBERT

RICHARD JOHNS

1834

-

Engineer

GILBERT

ROBERT

1796

-

Moulder - Foreman

GILBERT, ROBERT (1796- )
Foreman of the Moulding Shop with Tom HARRIS (qv) in CCC's later years when there were from 15 to 20 moulders and labourers employed there.

GILBERT

WILLIAM

1767

-

Labourer

GILBERT

WILLIAM

1801

-

Labourer

GILBERT

WILLIAM

1827

1869

Artisan & Mechanic

GILBERT

WILLIAM Capt

1811

-

Fitters (Head of Dept)

GILBERT, Capt WILLIAM (1811- )
Head of the Fitters Dept at the CCC when the works first closed down in 1867. Also acted as Harbourmaster.

GILBERT

WILLIAM Jnr

1821

-

Carpenter & Joiner

GILBERT

WILLIAM Snr

1794

-

Carpenter & Joiner

GLANVILLE

JAMES

1818

-

Engineer

GLANVILLE

JAMES Capt

-

-

Ships Captain

GLANVILLE, Capt JAMES
Succeeded Joshua GILBERT (qv) as Captain of the 'Riviere'.

GLANVILLE

JOHN

1791

-

Engineer

GLANVILLE

JOHN

1817

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GLANVILLE

JOHN

-

1822

Agent

GLANVILLE, JOHN ( -1822)
Agent for the CCC and a staunch Methodist; one of the 13 Trustees with James BODDY (qv).

GLANVILLE

RICHARD

1824

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GLANVILLE, RICHARD
Brother of John (qv) and another of the 13 Trustees with James Boddy (qv).

GLASSON

EDWARD Jnr

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GLASSON

EDWARD Snr

1791

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GONINAN

RICHARD

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GOODMAN

JAMES

1826

-

Labourer

GOODMAN

JOSEPH

1796

-

Shipwright

GOODMAN

RICHARD

1800

-

Ironfounder

GOODMAN

WILLIAM

1828

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GOODMAN

WILLIAM

1800

-

Carpenter & Joiner

GOODMAN

WILLIAM

1796

-

Shipwright

GRAY

JOHN

1806

-

Sawyer

GRAY

JOHN

1772

-

Labourer

GREGORY

FRANCIS, Rev

17??

1853

Partner

GREGORY, Rev FRANCIS (17?? -1853)
Vicar of Mullion from 1800 to death. Lived at Abbey House in Penzance. Married in 1835 to Maria Bolitho of Coombe in Madron. Partner in Deed of 1849.

GRENFIELD

JOHN

1814

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GRIBBLE

JAMES

1821

-

Marine Engineer

GRILLS

HENRY

-

-

-

GRILLS, HENRY
An early printer in Redruth from 1821 to 1842 and responsible for the printing of the Ore Ticketing sheets; became a Cashier for the CCC from 1842 to 1846 and afterwards a partner in the West Cornwall Bank.

GROSE

SAMUEL Jnr

1791

1866

Mine Manager

GROSE, SAMUEL Jnr (1791-1866)
Son of Samuel Grose (Snr) (qv) married Ann Vivian of Gwinear became manager of Wheal Hope, where he erected his first engine and went on to design many others.

GROSE

SAMUEL Snr

-

-

Engineer

GROSE, SAMUEL Snr
An engineer who came to Wheal Alfred in Feb 1802 from the Management of mines in Somerset; engaged at £5 pounds per month, he was very active in the period to 1830 in the design of Cornish engines which the CCC manufactured.

GRYLLS

MARY SANDYS

1791

1865

Partner

GRYLLS, MARY SANDYS (1791-1865)
Of Helston; second daughter of John Trevenen (qv) and wife of Humphrey Millett Grylls (1789-1834) partner in Deed of 1849.

GUNDRY

HENRY

1768

-

Witness (Carpenter)

GUNDRY, HENRY (1768- )
A carpenter aged 61 was born at St Erth and worked for Herland Mines in Gwinear. He came to Hayle for a similar type of work.

GUNDRY

JOHN

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

GUNDRY

WILLIAM s of Henry

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

ENTRY SAYS: Gundry, William, son of Henry, Carpenter

HAMBLY

JOHN Jnr

1824

-

Engineer

HAMBLY

JOHN Snr

1796

-

Engineer

HAMBLY

RICHARD

1821

-

Carpenter & Joiner

HAMBLY

THOMAS

1791

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAMBLY

THOMAS GILBERT

1827

-

Engineer

HAMBLY

WILLIAM Capt Billy

1828

-

Engineer

HAMPTON

JAMES

1811

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAMPTON

JOHN

1791

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAMPTON

JOHN Jnr

1824

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAMPTON

ROBERT

1824

-

Artisan & Mechanic

HARRIS

HENRY

-

-

-

HARRIS, HENRY
A son of Tom Harris (qv) who started at the CCC at the age of 10 making cores for the moulders.

(NOTE: I understand that although known as Henry, he was named Thomas Henry Rogers HARRIS.  John Smith, OPC Phillack & Hayle)

HARRIS

HENRY

1801

-

Ironfounder

HARRIS

JACOB

1826

-

Boilermaker

HARRIS

JAMES

1821

-

Artisan & Mechanic

HARRIS

JOHN

1806

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HARRIS

JOHN Jnr

1837

-

Artisan & Mechanic

HARRIS

JOSEPH

1816

-

Carpenter & Joiner

HARRIS

JOSEPH

1826

-

Ropemaker

HARRIS

TOM

1816

-

Moulder - Foreman

HARRIS, TOM (1816- )
Joint Foreman of the CCC Moulding shop in 1867 with Robert GILBERT (qv) When the works closed he and his two sons, Henry (qv) and ? went to London.

(NOTE I understand that Tom HARRIS was born in 1833 and died in 1904 and when the works closed he went to London with three sons - Thomas Henry Rogers, John and William.  John Smith, OPC Phillack & Hayle)

HARRY

CHARLES

1820

-

Labourer

HARVEY

CHARLES

1811

1871

Smelter

HARVEY

FRANCIS

-

-

Teacher

HARVEY, FRANCIS
Teacher at the new Sunday School started in 1798 by the Copperhouse Methodist Society; still teaching there in 1817 when the children gave a Good Friday Recital; a noted lecturer, temperance worker and writer of folklore; a Merchant in Copperhouse and one of the 13 Trustees with James BODDY (qv).

HARVEY

HENRY

1810

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HARVEY

JAMES

-

-

Merchant

HARVEY, JAMES
A Merchant of Phillack who was also one of the 13 Trustees with James BODDY (qv).

HARVEY

JOSEPH VIVIAN

1832

-

Boilermaker

HARVEY

ROBERT

1810

-

Mason

HARVEY

THOMAS

1828

1866

Carpenter & Joiner

HARVEY

WILLIAM

1801

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAWKE

CHARLES

1822

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAWKE

EDWARD

1817

-

Ironfounder

HAWKE

JAMES

1780

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAWKE

SAMUEL

1824

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HAWKIN

THOMAS

1826

-

Ironfounder

HAWKINS

ANNE

17--

1801

Partner

HAWKINS, ANNE (17 -1801) nee Heywood
Of Winchester, widow of Col Thomas Hawkins (1723-1766) of Trewithen. Partner in Deed of 1779 with £4,000 pounds in CCC.

HAWKINS

CHRISTOPHER

17??

1767

Partner

HAWKINS, CHRISTOPHER (17?? -1767)Of Trewinnard in St Erth; son of Thomas (d1716); married Mary, daughter of Philip Hawkins. Partner in original Deed of 1758 with £2,000 pounds in CCC

HAWKINS

CHRISTOPHER, Sir

1758

1829

Partner

HAWKINS, Sir CHRISTOPHER FRS (1758-1829)
Of Trewithen in Probus; son of Col Thomas and Anne. Created Baronet in 1791; MP 1784-1807 and 1818-1821, finally becoming Father of the House of Commons; wrote a History of Cornwall and a book on Tin Mining. Member with Joseph Carne of the Council of the Royal Geographical Society of Cornwall. Unmarried, Partner in 1779 Deed with £1,000 pounds in CCC.

HAWKINS

JOHN, Col

1761

1841

Partner

HAWKINS, Col JOHN FRS (1761-1841)
Brother of Sir Christopher(qv), succeeding to his estate in 1829 having in 1793 sold him one-quarter share of his investment of £10,000 pounds in the CCC. Both John and Sir Christopher were sons of Thomas Hawkins and Anne Heywood and grandsons of John Hawkins of Trewinnard in St Erth. Of considerable means, he travelled in Greece and the East; married in 1801 Mary Esther Sibthorp and had issue 6 children; moved to Bignor Park in Sussex which he purchased. Wrote many papers concerning the geology of Cornwall, Sheriff of Sussex 1826.

HAWKINS

MARY

17--

1787

Partner

HAWKINS, MARY (17 -1787)
Widow of Christopher of Trewinnard. In 1767 she inherited her husband's £2,000 pounds in CCC and in the 1779 Deed she was a Partner with £4,000 pounds invested.

HAYES

RICHARD

1806

-

Labourer

HENDRA

HENRY Jnr

1825

-

Ironfounder

HENDRA

HENRY Snr

1771

-

Engineer

HENDRA

WILLIAM Jnr

1811

1882

Engineer

HENDRA, WILLIAM Jnr (1811-1882)
Son of William HENDRA Snr (qv); became an engineer in Hayle; went to London in 1830 and founded a large engineering works there called Wm Hendra & Sons, Ironfounders.

HENDRA

WILLIAM Snr

1774

1863

-

HENDRA, WILLIAM Snr (1774-1863
Born at Gwinear; rented Riviere Farm from the CCC and kept a pack of mules for carrying copper ore from the mines to the CCC wharves, returning with coal.

HEYWOOD

JAMES

1687

1776

Partner

HEYWOOD, JAMES (1687-1776)
Born and brought up in Manchester, moved to Austin Friars, London where he became a rich wholesale linen-draper. He published Poems & in c1722 his daughter Anne married Thomas Hawkins (qv) of Trewithen in Probus. Partner in the original Deed of 1758 with £2,000 pounds.

HICKS

HUMPHREY

1805

-

Labourer

HOCKEN

HENRY

-

-

Smiths - Head of

HOCKEN, HENRY
Head of the Smith's Department when the CCC closed in 1867.

HOCKEN

THOMAS

1819

-

Shipwright - Head

HOCKEN, THOMAS (1819- )
Head of the Shipwright's Department when the CCC closed down in 1867. Bought one share in the vessel 'Margaret' in Feb 1868 from John Pool (Jnr).

HOCKIN

FREDERICK Rev

1818

1902

Rector of Phillack

HOCKIN, FREDERICK, Rev (1818-1902)
Son of Rev William Hockin (1776-1853) (qv) Rector of Phillack with Gwithian from 1853 till death. Made Canon and Rural Dean of Penwith and Proctor in Convocation at Truro. When the CCC sold its assets he purchased Riviere House and various other lots at Auction in Aug 1868, and also acquired the whole of the Riviere Estate by Auction.

HOCKIN

JOHN

1806

-

Sawyer

HOCKIN

JOHN

1706

1779

-

HOCKIN, JOHN (1706-1779)
Of Gwithian; in 1754 he purchased a lease of the presentation to the Rectory of the combined parishes of Phillack with Gwithian and presented his son, Rev William Hockin,(1738-1813) (qv).

HOCKIN

JOHN

1764

-

Labourer

HOCKIN

JOHN

1780

-

Labourer

HOCKIN

WILLIAM, Rev

1738

1813

Rector of Phillack

HOCKIN, WILLIAM, Rev (1738-1813) Rector of Phillack with Gwithian from 1763 until his death. Son of John Hockin of Gwithian (1706-1779)(qv). In 1785 he purchased the advowson of Phillack with Gwithian from Lord Arundel. He married in 1770 Elizabeth, co-heiress of John Curnow, Merchant of Penpol. A son, Rev William Hockin,(1776-1853)(qv).

HOCKIN

WILLIAM, Rev (Jnr)

1776

1853

Rector of Phillack

HOCKIN, WILLIAM, Rev (1776-1853)
Son of Rev William Hockin (1738-1813)(qv), Rector of Phillack with Gwithian from 1809 till death. Made a JP and married in 1804 Peggy, daughter of Rev Anthony Williams. A son Rev Frederick Hockin (1818-1902) (qv).

HOCKING

BARTHOLOMEW

1796

1865

Joiner

HOCKING, BARTHOLOMEW (1796-1865)
In 1830 he built the organ for the new Copperhouse Methodist Chapel. Still with CCC in 1841 as a joiner.

HOCKING

FRANCIS

1827

-

Patternmaker

HOCKING

HENRY

1824

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HOCKING

JOHN Jnr

1811

-

Carpenter & Joiner

HOCKING

JOHN Snr

1776

-

Carpenter & Joiner

HOCKING

SAMUEL

1807

1877

Engineer

HOCKING, SAMUEL (1807-1877)
Son of Samuel Hocking, a miner at Dolcoath; went to Mexico in 1824 with John Rule, a large shareholder in Dolcoath; served an apprenticeship as an engineer under Arthur Woolf at Harvey's Foundry 1828-1833; moved to CCC to work in the fitting shop, became the manager of the CCC's Engineering Workshops in 1840's. He went to London as CCC's Agent, responsible for the supply and erection of the chains for the Hungerford Suspension Bridge. When the CCC closed down, he went to work for Bickford, Smith & Davey, the safety fuse manufacturers. In 1874 wrote a biography entitled 'A Brief Sketch of the Life and Labours of Arthur Woolf, Engineer'.

HOCKING

THOMAS

1817

--

Blacksmith & Smith

HODGE

EDWARD

1771

-

Witness

HODGE, EDWARD (1771- )
Of Sithney, now 58 and a fish curer, who worked for William Nicholls of Ludgvan, a carrier. Then the public house was kept by Rogers, now Burt.

HOLLOW

WILLIAM

1771

-

Labourer

HOLMAN

HENRY

1826

-

Modelmaker

HOLMAN

JAMES

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HOLMAN

JOHN

1819

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HOLMAN

NICHOLAS

1822

-

Moulder

HOLMAN, NICHOLAS (1822- )
Later to become the founder of Holman's Foundry St Just.

HOLMAN

WILLIAM

1792

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HOLMAN

WILLIAM

1816

-

Boilermaker

HONEYCHURCH

BENJAMIN

1805

-

Labourer

HONEYCHURCH

WILLIAM

1821

-

Labourer

HOOPER

JOHN

1829

-

Engineer

HOOPER

WILLIAM

1806

-

Hammerman

HOOPER, WILLIAM (1806- )
A hammerman in the CCC foundry. In 1838 he exhibited at Falmouth a fine model of a steam engine for which the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society awarded him a prize.

HOSKIN

JOHN

1810

-

Labourer

HOSKING

JAMES

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HOSKING

JOHN

1800

1871

-

HOSKING, JOHN (1800-1871)
Born at Gwithian, educated at Copperhouse School; teaching at Gwithian in 1821; he then went to work at Wheal Alfred under Arthur Woolf before coming to the CCC in 1828. He next moved to London with Thomas Wicksteed, the Waterworks engineer, then to Newcastle where he superintended the erection of the High Level Bridge over the River Tyne in 1850. Died at Gateshead in 1871.

HOSKING

JOSEPH Jnr

1816

-

Carpenter & Joiner

HOSKING

JOSEPH Snr

1786

-

Carpenter & Joiner

HOSKING

THOMAS

1820

-

Labourer

HUGH

JOSEPH

1815

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HUMPHRIES

JAMES

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

HUTHNANCE

HENRY

1826

-

Engineer

HUTHNANCE

MATTHEW

1806

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HUTHNANCE

ROWLAND

1810

-

Blacksmith & Smith

HUTHNANCE

SAMUEL

1816

-

Blacksmith & Smith

INGRAM

RICHARD

1823

-

Patternmaker

INGRAM

THOMAS

1827

-

Mason

INGRAM

TOBIAS

1818

-

Ironfounder

JAMES

JOHN

1771

-

Mason

JAMES

WILLIAM

1813

1864

Boilermaker

JEFFERY

JOSEPH

1790

-

Labourer

JEFFRY

RICHARD

-

-

Engineer

JENKIN

ABRAHAM

1780

-

Labourer

JENKIN

JACOB

1802

1890

Labourer

JENKIN

JACOB

1802

1868

Labourer

JENKIN

JAMES

1811

-

Mason

JENKIN

JOHN

1795

1866

Smelter

JENKIN

JOHN

1820

1863

Labourer

JENKIN

THOMAS

1791

-

Smelter

JENKIN, THOMAS (Snr & Jnr)
By an Agreement of 5th Nov 1782 they both "do agree and engage themselves to serve John Edwards and his assigns at Hayle Copperhouse in Cornwall in making Japanned bars of Copper, from this day for 12 months."

JENKIN

WALTER

1791

-

Mason

JENKIN

WALTER

1821

-

Mason

JENKIN

WILLIAM

1806

-

Blacksmith & Smith

JENKIN

WILLIAM

1828

-

Limeburner

JENKIN

WILLIAM

1738

1820

Mineral Agent

JENKIN, WILLIAM (1738-1820)
Son of Ismael Jenkin (1704-1767) of Trewirgie, Redruth. He held an appointment at the CCC in 1804 when John Vivian was a Partner. A Mineral Agent and Steward for the Hunt family and the Duke of Buckingham. Founder of the famous family of Mining Agents & C in Cornwall.

JENKINS

SAMUEL

1811

-

Blacksmith & Smith

JENKYN

RICHARD

1790

1860

Engineer

JENKYN, RICHARD (1790-1860)
After rising to be a Works Foreman at Harvey's, moved to the CCC as an Engineer and was in charge when the Hungerford Bridge chains were being forged.

JEWELL

FRANCIS

1805

-

Mason

JOHN

GEORGE

1673

1766

Partner

JOHN, GEORGE (1673-1766)Senior
Of Camborne, Engineer and Manager of Dolcoath Mine. In 1755 patented a new method of raising water out of the deeper mines. He also helped establish the original copper smelting furnaces at Carn Entral. From 1759-1764 he cast a considerable amount of brass-work for the Great Work mine, being then the proprietor of a small iron and brass foundry in Camborne. Partner in the original Deed of 1758 with £3,000 pounds in the CCC.

JOHN

GEORGE Jnr

-

-

Partner

JOHN, GEORGE Jnr
Of Camborne. Partner in the 1806 Deed, perhaps succeeding to his uncle Henry John's (qv) interests.

JOHN

HENRY

-

-

Partner

JOHN, HENRY
Of Busvisack; brother of George John (qv) and in 1748 with partners was granted a lease of Dolcoath Mine; In the CCC Deed of 1758, he held a £2,000 pounds interest, increased to £4,000 pounds in the 1779 Deed.

JOHNS

ALEXANDER

-

-

Engineer

JOHNS

JOHN

1810

-

Moulder

JOHNS

RICHARD

1753

1822

Partner

JOHNS, RICHARD (1753-1822)
Solicitor of Helston; his sister Lydia Johns (d1786) married John Trevenen (d1825) and his daughter Catherine married in 1765, Thomas Bolitho of Coombe in Madron. A daughter or grand-daughter Maria Bolitho 1835 the Rev Francis Gregory(qv). Partner in Deed of 1779 with £1,000 pounds in the CCC.

JOHNS

THOMAS Jnr

1830

-

Artisan & Mechanic

JOHNS

THOMAS Snr

1806

1873

Artisan & Mechanic

JONES

GEORGE

1821

-

Engineer

JONES, GEORGE (1821- )
An Engineer at CCC, whose daughter Jemima married Capt. William West (1813-1882) an Engineer at Harvey's.

JONES

JOHN

1829

-

Engineer

JORDAN

HUGH

1801

-

Engineer

JORDAN

W.J

1841

1882

Smith - Foreman

JORDAN, W J (1841-1882)
Foreman of the Smiths Shop at CCC when it closed down in 1867.

JORDAN

WILLIAM

1826

-

Engineer

JOSE

JOHN

1835

-

Labourer

KEELEY

JOHN

1810

-

Labourer

KEMP

JOHN

1770

-

Labourer

KEMP

THOMAS

1820

1872

Blacksmith & Smith

KESTLE

JAMES

1827

-

Boilermaker

KESTLE

JOHN

1786

-

Labourer

KEVILL

THOMAS

1736

1798

Partner

KEVILL, THOMAS (1736-1798)
Of Trevenson House, Camborne. Steward to Sir Francis Basset of Tehidy, Partner in Deed of 1779 with £1,000 pounds in the CCC.

KILLWAY

GEORGE

1829

-

Blacksmith & Smith

KILLWAY

JOHN

1824

-

Blacksmith & Smith

KILLWAY

WILLIAM

1801

-

Smelter

KING

WILLIAM

-

-

Patternmaker

KING, WILLIAM
Worked as a Patternmaker at the CCC, emigrating to the USA when the Foundry closed in 1867. He was a great-uncle of the late Tom Harris of Camborne to whom he said:- "Copperhouse is where I served my time (as a patternmaker). There were 3 large air furnaces and cupolas, also machine shops, blacksmiths and boiler shops - there was nothing to large for them to handle. They built an engine for Wales when I was with them, 132 inch cylinder... when they had large cylinders to cast they would run the metal right into the mould and also large beams or bobs, as we used to call them".

KINSMAN

JOHN

1809

-

Carpenter & Joiner

KNEEBONE

GEORGE

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

KNEEBONE

JACOB

1788

-

Blacksmith & Smith

KNEEBONE

JAMES

1778

-

Blacksmith & Smith

KNEEBONE

JOHN

1811

1870

Porter (Coal)

KNEEBONE

ROBERT

1800

-

Labourer

KNEEBONE

ROBERT

1806

-

Labourer

KNEEBONE

WILLIAM

1796

-

Carpenter & Joiner

KNEEBONE

WILLIAM

1813

1871

Labourer

LAWRY

WILLIAM

1827

-

Blacksmith & Smith

LETCHER

RICHARD

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

LETHLEAN

STEPHEN

1801

-

Labourer

LEY

EDWIN

1826

-

Engineer

LIDDICOAT

JOHN

1807

1865

Labourer

LIDSTONE

ABRAHAM

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

LIFFIELD

JAMES

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

LUKE

JACOB

-

-

-

LUKE, JACOB
A CCC employee who retired in the period 1818-1820 with a pension.

LUKE

JACOB Jnr

1825

-

Labourer

LUKE

JACOB Snr

1796

-

Labourer

LUKE

JOHN

1822

-

Gas Fitter

LUKE

SAMUEL Jnr

1830

1903

Moulder

LUKE

SAMUEL Snr

1803

-

Moulder

LUKE

WILLIAM

1801

-

Whitesmith & Tinsmith

LUKE

WILLIAM

1824

-

Smelter

LUKE

WILLIAM

1826

-

Boilermaker

MADDOCK

RICHARD

-

-

Partner

MADDOCK, RICHARD
Of St Brides, London. Partner in the original Deed of 1758 with £1,000 pounds in CCC

MARKS

THOMAS

1772

-

Labourer

MARRACK

RICHARD

1831

-

Solicitor

MARRACK, RICHARD (1831- )
Solicitor of the firm Hockin & Marrack of Truro and a Barrister of Lincolns Inn. Held several local posts in Truro; member of a family from the Paul and Penzance area. As executor of Hannibal Ellis D/d(qv) from August 1867 held shares with the Co-Executor Harman John Howland of Plymouth in several ships registered at Hayle. Appointed the Receiver for CCC on 8th March 1871 by the Court of Chancery to realise the Assets.

MARTEN

WILLIAM

1821

-

Engineer

MARTIN

EDWARD

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

MARTIN

JOHN

1786

-

Ropemaker

MARTIN

JOSEPH

1805

1869

Labourer

MARTINS

MARTIN

1821

-

Masons

MATTHEWS

THOMAS

1826

-

Engineer

MAY

JOHN

1806

-

Blacksmith & Smith

McCLARY

JOHN

1801

-

Engineer

MEAD

SIMON Jnr

1797

-

-

MEAD, SIMON Jnr (1797- )
Born at Redruth, the elder son of Simon and Mary Mead. Married in 1821 to Ann, daughter of William and Mary Teage and first cousin to Richard Trevithick. An Assaymaster of the Stannary at Tywarnhayle, he later became associated with the CCC and c1826 left for South Wales to join the Llanelly Copperworks.

MICHELL

EDWARD

1801

-

Porter (Coal)

MICHELL

ENOCH

1771

-

Labourer

MICHELL

ENOCH

1801

-

Labourer

MICHELL

HENRY

1806

-

Labourer

MICHELL

JAMES

1798

-

Limeburner

MICHELL

JAMES

1819

-

Moulder

MICHELL

JAMES

1825

1863

Boilermaker

MICHELL

JOHN

1817

-

Blacksmith & Smith

MICHELL

RALPH

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

MICHELL

ROBERT

1770

1862

-

MICHELL, ROBERT (1770-1862)
Son of Robert Michell (1742-1817) of Tregerthen in Ludgvan who established the Calenick Tin Smelting works in Kea. Chief Clerk to Ralph Allen Daniell of Truro, coming to the CCC in 1810 as a Manager. Moved into Riviere House in 1818 when Joseph Carne left but soon after returned to Truro to enter into partnership with his brother William Michell (1776-1845) as General Merchants.

MICHELL

THOMAS

1780

-

Labourer

MICHELL

THOMAS

1727

1811

Partner

MICHELL, THOMAS (1727-1811)
Of Heligan in Kenwyn. With his wife Elizabeth held £6,000 pounds in the 1779 Deed and was Trustee for a number of years. In 1806 was still a Partner.

MICHELL

TOBIAS

1819

-

Labourer

MICHELL

WILLIAM

1821

-

Moulder

MICHELL

WILLIAM

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

MICHELL

WILLIAM

1811

-

Boilermaker

MILDERN

WILLIAM

1826

-

Sawyer

MILLETT

HANNIBAL CURNOW

1776

1865

Partner

MILLETT, HANNIBAL CURNOW (1776-1848)
Of Okehampton, fourth son of Richard Oke Millett and Jane Curnow. Partner in 1849 Deed.

MILLETT

JOHN CURNOW

1771

1848

Partner

MILLETT, JOHN CURNOW (1771-1848)
Eldest son of Richard Oke Millett and Jane Curnow. Partner in the Deed of 1828.

MILLETT

RICHARD OKE

1749

1832

Partner

MILLETT, RICHARD OKE (1749-1832)
Of Marazion and Penpol in Phillack; married Jane Curnow; co-heiress of John Curnow of Penpol (d.1780) Surgeon and Captain of one Corps of the Copperhouse Company of Volunteers. His second son Richard Oke Millett Jnr (1772-1819) lived at Bodriggy in Phillack. Partner in Deed of 1779 with £1,000 pounds.

MILLETT

WILLIAM

-

-

-

MILLETT, WILLIAM
Living at Riviere in 1830.

MILLS

CHARLES

1820

1867

Carpenter & Joiner

MILLS

JAMES

1816

-

Labourer

MILLS

JAMES

1760

-

Ropemaker

MILLS

JAMES

1776

-

Labourer

MILLS

JOHN

1824

-

Ropemaker

MILLS

ROBERT

1811

-

Ropemaker

MILLS

THOMAS Jnr

1830

-

Ropemaker

MILLS

THOMAS Snr

1809

1870

Ropemaker

MILLS

WILLIAM

1795

1864

Cordwainer

MILLWARD

CHRISTOPHER

1826

-

Ropemaker

MILLWOOD

CHRISTOPHER

-

-

-

MILLWOOD, CHRISTOPHER
Worked for the CCC and c1818-1820 retired with a pension.

MILLWOOD

JOHN

1761

-

Labourer

MILLWOOD

JOHN Capt

-

-

Ships Captain

MILLWOOD, JOHN Cap
Captain of the 'Amelia' of St Ives, owned by the CCC.

MINERS

JOHN

1801

-

Labourer

MITCHELL

JOHN

1822

-

Sawyer

MITCHELL

JOHN

1827

-

Carpenter & Joiner

MITCHELL

RICHARD

-

-

Sawyer

MONTAGUE

GEORGE

1826

-

Carpenter & Joiner

MONTAGUE

JAMES

1828

-

Carpenter & Joiner

MORGAN

THOMAS

1776

-

Witness (Copper Refiner)

MORGAN, THOMAS (1776- )

aged 52, a copper refiner of Swansea who had been working for Vivian & Sons there since 1817, after he left the CCC. He formerly worked for the CCC when Loggans Green was surveyed by a Mr Canfield.

MORSHEAD

JAMES

1826

-

Labourer

MORSHEADE

JAMES

1776

-

-

MORSHEADE, JAMES (1776- )
A CCC employee who retired in c1818-1820.

MOUNTJOY

GEORGE

-

-

Sawyer

MURLEY

ARUNDEL

1826

-

Engineer

MURLEY

BENJAMIN

1752

-

Witness

MURLEY, BENJAMIN (1753- )
Aged 76 was working at the time for the CCC. He was born in Phillack and first worked for Mrs Glover, the parson's widow in Churchtown on her land.

MURLEY

CHARLES Jnr

1781

-

Carpenter & Joiner

MURLEY

CHARLES Snr

-

-

Witness (Carpenter)

MURLEY, CHARLES
A Carpenter for the CCC who in 1786 helped put down the foundations for the floodgates which took three years to erect.

MURLEY

EDWARD

1800

-

Moulder

MURLEY

HENRY

1827

-

Blacksmith & Smith

MURLEY

JOHN

1821

-

Ironfounder

MURLEY

JOHN

1826

-

Boilermaker

MURLEY

NICHOLAS

1834

-

Artisan & Mechanic

MURLEY

WILLIAM

1806

-

Painter

MURLEY

WILLIAM Jnr

1826

-

Carpenter & Joiner

MURLEY

WILLIAM Snr

1797

1871

Carpenter & Joiner

NANCARROW

SAMUEL

1810

-

Blacksmith & Smith

NEWTON

HENRY

1806

-

Blacksmith & Smith

NICHOLAS

MARTIN

1816

-

Labourer

NICHOLLS

JAMES

1812

-

Blacksmith & Smith

NICHOLLS

JOHN

1735

1777

Partner

NICHOLLS, JOHN (1735-1777)
Of Treglistian in Phillack. With Sir John St Aubyn began Wheal Alfred copper mine on Treglistian land. Partner in the original Deed of 1758 with £500 pounds invested.

NICHOLLS

RICHARD

1737

1817

-

NICHOLLS, RICHARD (1737-1817)
Of Treglistian in Phillack. Brother of John Nicholls, a CCC partner and inherited Treglistian from him. Richard received over £27,000 pounds in mineral dues from the famous Wheal Alfred mine.

NINNIS

WILLIAM

-

-

Shopkeeper

NINNIS, WILLIAM
A shopkeeper of Phillack, one of those named as a Trustee in the 1815 lease with James BODDY (qv)

NOELL

SIMON

1821

-

Engineer

NORTHEY

JOSEPH

1821

-

Engineer

NORTHEY

ROBERT Jnr

1826

-

Ironfounder

NORTHEY

ROBERT Snr

1786

-

Labourer

NORTHEY

THOMAS

1818

-

Ironfounder

NORTHEY

WILLIAM

1811

-

Labourer

NORTHY

JOHN

1815

-

Engineer

OATES

JAMES

1746

-

Witness (Labourer)

OATES, JAMES (1746- )
A labourer of Gwinear now 82 was born in St Erth in 1746 and when 27 years old went to live in a house on the Riviere Estate now occupied by William Burt. He had worked for John Curnow and for the CCC. About 1780 Lord Arundel was the proprietor of both Penpol and Riviere Estates.

OATEY

EDWARD

1811

-

Labourer

OATEY

JEREMIAH

1811

-

Labourer

OATEY

PETER

1810

-

Labourer

OATEY

WILLIAM

1802

1865

Labourer

OATEY

WILLIAM DONNERTHORNE

1819

-

Blacksmith & Smith

OATS

JAMES

1746

-

-

OATS, JAMES (1746- )
Born in St Erth; worked for John Curnow in his Merchanting business and then for CCC; lived in Gwinear parish.

OLIVER

JAMES

1814

-

Labourer

OLIVER

JOHN

1776

-

Labourer

OLIVER

JOHN

1821

-

Mason

OLIVER

NICHOLAS

1827

-

Blacksmith & Smith

OLIVER

THOMAS

1796

1874

Labourer

OLIVER

THOMAS

1805

-

Mason

OLIVER

THOMAS

1807

1874

Labourer

OLIVER

WILLIAM

1759

-

Witness (Mason)

OLIVER, WILLIAM (1759- )
Of Phillack, now 70, a mason working for the CCC in 1786, who said that the foundations of the floodgates were sunk to a considerable depth, at least four feet below the ancient bed of the river.

OULD

FRANCIS

1821

-

Modelmaker

OULD

JAMES

1786

-

Smelter

OULD

SAMUEL

1816

-

Mason

PARRY

JOHN

1811

-

Labourer

PASCOE

ERASMUS

1654

1723

-

PASCOE, ERASMUS (1654-1723)
of Trevassack Manor in Phillack; Sheriff of Cornwall in 1720 and reputedly Manager of the Angarrack Tin Smelting Company from 1704. He was the lessor of that part of Ventonleage which the CCC acquired in 1756 from his son John's (qv) Executor. His tombstone is still to be seen in Phillack Churchyard.

PASCOE

JOHN

1689

1744

-

PASCOE, JOHN (1689-1744)
Second son of Erasmus Pascoe (qv); succeeded to the estate and was named in the new Ventonleage lease of 1730. Died intestate and letters of Administration, refused by his two nieces, were taken out by a Creditor, Lucy Praed of Camborne.

PASCOE

RICHARD

1810

1866

Labourer

PASCOE

WILLIAM

1783

1836

-

PASCOE, WILLIAM (1783-1836)
of Camborne; came to Copperhouse in 1799 to work for the CCC. Married in 1798 Mary Pellow (d.1842) and their son William (qv) was born in Phillack in 1799.

PASCOE

WILLIAM

1799

-

-

PASCOE, WILLIAM (1799- )
Son of William Pascoe (qv)(1783-1836), lived in Trevassack; married in 1828 Elizabeth Veal (d1841), their son William (qv) born in 1838.

PASCOE

WILLIAM

1838

1923

Boilermaker

PASCOE, WILLIAM (1823-1923)
The Author's (CCC The Story Of the Cornish Copper Company, W.H. Pascoe) grandfather and son of William Pascoe (1799- )(qv), became a Boilermaker apprentice at CCC and stayed until closure in 1867 when he went to sea. On his return set up business as a Carrier. Married 1861 Annie Chinn (1841-1925), daughter of Edward Chinn and Harriet (nee Huthnance).

PASCOWE

JOHN

1837

-

Limeburner

PAUL

THOMAS

1827

-

Labourer

PAUL

WILLIAM

1800

-

Labourer

PEARCE

CHARLES

1831

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PEARCE

JAMES

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PEARCE

JOHN

1832

-

Artisan & Mechanic

PEARCE

JOHN

1805

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PEARCE

JOHN

1801

1866

Engineer

PEARCE

RICHARD

1831

-

Artisan & Mechanic

PEARCE

THOMAS

1826

-

Engineer

PEARCE

WILLIAM

1820

1862

Engineer

PELLOW

JOHN Jnr

1825

-

Carpenter & Joiner

PELLOW

JOHN Snr

1796

-

Carpenter & Joiner

PENBERTHY

BENJAMIN

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PENBERTHY

JOHN

1828

-

Artisan & Mechanic

PENBERTHY

JOHN

1828

-

Moulder

PENBERTHY

RICHARD

1835

-

Moulder

PENBERTHY

STEPHEN

1806

-

Moulder

PENBERTHY

THOMAS

1826

-

Mason

PENPRAZE

BENJAMIN

1771

-

Labourer

PENPRAZE

HENRY

1825

-

Engineer

PENROSE

THOMAS TREVENNEN Rev

1793

1862

Partner

PENROSE, Rev THOMAS TREVENNEN (1793-1862)Rector of Cardinham, son of Rev John Penrose (1753-1829) and Jane, second daughter of the Rev John Trevennen. Partner in the 1849 Deed.

PERRY

FRANCIS

1770

-

Labourer

PERRY

JOHN

1802

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PERRY

SAMUEL

1832

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PETERS

JAMES

1764

-

Witness (Mariner)

PETERS, JAMES (1764- )
A Mariner from Lelant aged 65 said that he was employed by their CCC to dump rubbish in the Penpol River about 45 to 46 years ago. As a boy he recollected that the boys of Lelant, St Erth and Phillack would assemble St Erth and Phillack against Lelant, throwing stones across the Penpol river and running to and fro from Lelant across the sands.

PHILLIPS

JOHN

1753

-

Witness (Labourer)

PHILLIPS, JOHN (1753- )
Of Gwinear, aged 76, a labourer from Breage, worked at Carnsew for John Ellis & Co about 45 to 46 years before and when working for his father at Breage came many times to Hayle for sand. He could remember Mr Thomas Pascoe of St Ives who failed to trade at Carnsew and became bankrupt.

PHILLIPS

JOHN

1829

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PHILLIPS

NICHOLAS

1821

-

Engineer

PHILLIPS

THOMAS

1825

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PHILLIPS

WILLIAM

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PICK

WILLIAM

1801

-

Patternshop - Foreman

PICK, WILLIAM (1801- )
Foreman of the CCC Pattern Shop in its later years and until it closed in 1867. Had 8-10 men working with him.

POLKINGHORNE

BENNET

1771

-

Labourer

POLKINGHORNE

EDWARD

1828

-

Engineer

POLKINGHORNE

JAMES

1826

-

Smelter

POLKINGHORNE

JOHN

1807

1869

Labourer

POLKINGHORNE

JOSEPH

1827

-

Engineer

POLKINGHORNE

PETER

1808

-

Fireman

POLKINGHORNE

RICHARD

1805

-

Fireman

POLKINGHORNE

WILLIAM Jnr

1833

-

Porter (Coal)

POLKINGHORNE

WILLIAM Snr

1799

-

Porter (Coal)

POOL

CHARLES

1816

-

Mason

POOL

HENRY Jnr

1827

-

Engineer

POOL

JAMES Jnr

1828

-

Mason

POOL

JAMES Snr

1801

-

Mason

POOL

JOHN Jnr

1822

-

Partner

POOL, JOHN Jnr (1822- )
Son of John Pool Snr (d.1869) Chief Clerk for the CCC from 1854 in succession to his father and Head Engineer until 1866. In 1850 he submitted plans for reefing the floats of paddle wheels and further plans in 1851 for preventing boiler explosions. In 1857 appointed Government Engineer Surveyor of Steam Vessels for 9 years until Dec 1866. In 1868 occupied Riviere House with his father. He owned shares in the vessels - Ocean, Margaret and Alma registered at Hayle. Appears as a Partner in the CCC Deed of 1849.

POOL

JOHN Snr

1791

1869

-

POOL, JOHN Snr (1791-1869)
Born at Crowan. As a Yeoman at St Erth in 1815 became one of the 13 Trustees named with James BODDY (qv). On the resignation of Joseph Carne as Manager in 1818 he came to the CCC and succeeded Robert Michell (qv) a year or so later to move into Riviere House where he lived until his death in 1869. His son John Pool Jnr born 1822 also joined the CCC as an engineer and Chief Clerk, becoming a partner later. Held shares in the vessels - Ocean, Margaret, Medora, Wave, and Alma, registered at Hayle and owned all shares in the Pencalenick which was lost in March 1867 and the Albion, sold in 1867.

POOL

JOSEPH

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

POOL

RICHARD

1830

-

Engineer

POOL

ROBERT

1816

-

Engineer

POOL

ROBERT

1826

-

Engineer

POOL

THOMAS ELLIS

-

-

Accountant

POOL, THOMAS ELLIS
An Accountant at Hayle, also held shares in the vessels Margaret, Medora, Ocean and Alma.

POOL

WILLIAM

1796

-

Mason

POOL

WILLIAM

1826

--

Ropemaker

POOL

WILLIAM (TINMAN)

-

-

-

POOL, WILLIAM (TINMAN)
Established the engineering works now known as J & F POOL Ltd occupying much of the CCC's original workshop sites.

POOLEY

WILLIAM

1800

-

Engineer

PRAED

HUMPHREY MACKWORTH

1719

1803

-

PRAED, HUMPHREY MACKWORTH (1719-1803)
Of Trevethoe Manor of Lelant; in 1786 he renewed the lease to CCC of Dawnay's House and Curnow's Cellars in Penpol for 3 lives or 99 years at a rent of 5 shillings per quarter. Praed then received a consideration of £50 pounds and his daughter Catherine 2 guineas.

PRANCE

WILLIAM HENRY

-

-

Partner

PRANCE, WILLIAM HENRY
A Solicitor at Plymouth and son-in-law of Sir John Coode (qv) having married his daughter Elizabeth in 1846. Elected a Trustee in 1865 to supervise the run-down of the CCC business. In 1867 offered to sell his interest to the company who refused, but it was later purchased by G Millett Davies. A Partner from 1849(?) with £2,000 pounds invested.

PRIDEAUX

HENRY Capt

-

-

-

PRIDEAUX, Capt HENRY
A witness to the signatures of the first Partnership Deed of 1758. A leading employee of the CCC and also in 1815 one of the 13 Trustees with James Boddy (qv). He was then described as a Yeoman of Phillack, retired.

PRISK

JOHN

1821

-

Blacksmith & Smith

PRYOR (PRIOR)

ARUNDELL

1762

1816

-

PRYOR (or PRIOR) ARUNDELL (1762-1816)
A Mineral Assayer and an Agent for CCC; a local preacher at Copperhouse Methodist Chapel for many years; in 1815 one of the 13 Trustees with James Boddy (qv).

RAIL

ANTHONY

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RAWLEY

SAMUEL

1821

-

Blacksmith & Smith

REECE

JOHN

1826

-

Engineer

REESE

HENRY

-

-

Smelter

REESE, HENRY
Probably employed by the CCC in the 1770's as a smelter, being described as such at his marriage in St Erth on 10th Feb 1777 to Ann Curtice, both being 'Sojourners' in that parish.

REYNOLDS

BARRINGTON, Sir

1786

1861

Partner

REYNOLDS, Sir BARRINGTON GCB (1786-1861)
Of Penair near Truro. Second son of Admiral Robert Carthew Reynolds of Lamorran (1745-1811) and Jane, daughter of John Vivian of Rosewarne. Educated at Truro Grammar School. Partner in the CCC Deed of 1849.

REYNOLDS

JOHN

1820

-

Blacksmith & Smith

REYNOLDS

THOMAS

1818

-

Whitesmith & Tinsmith

REYNOLDS

WILLIAM

1791

-

Labourer

RICE

RICHARD

1821

-

Engineer

RICHARDS

ABRAHAM

1811

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

BENJAMIN

1806

-

Labourer

RICHARDS

BENJAMIN Jnr

1826

-

Labourer

RICHARDS

BENJAMIN Snr

1783

1866

Labourer

RICHARDS

JAMES

1796

-

Carpenter & Joiner

RICHARDS

JAMES Jnr

1838

-

Moulder

RICHARDS

JAMES Snr

1806

-

Moulder

RICHARDS

JOHN

1806

-

Ropemaker

RICHARDS

JOHN Rev

1754

1824

Partner

RICHARDS, Rev JOHN (1754-1824)
Rector of Camborne; married Elizabeth the fifth daughter of John Vivian of Rosewarne. Partner in the CCC Deed of 1806.

RICHARDS

MATTHEW

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

RICHARD Jnr

1815

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

RICHARD Snr

1780

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

SAMUEL G

1820

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

SOLOMON

1838

-

Artisan & Mechanic

RICHARDS

THOMAS

1826

-

Engineer

RICHARDS

THOMAS

1752

-

Witness

RICHARDS, THOMAS (1752- )
A Blacksmith who worked with his brother, also a Blacksmith, and rented a shop from Mr Curnow on his quay near the said floodgates. He took over fron his brother, gave up in c1823 and left the business to his son. He lived at Ventonleage in his own house and did work for the CCC. Regarding the well, he used it for getting water, passing it on his way to St Ives. In fact, he said, there are two wells, the higher one being used for bullocks.

RICHARDS

THOMAS Jnr

1821

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

THOMAS Snr

1790

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

WILLIAM

1776

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

WILLIAM

1800

1869

Blacksmith & Smith

RICHARDS

WILLIAM

1836

1870

Moulder

ROBERTS

DANIEL

1806

-

Mason

ROBERTS

WILLIAM

1811

-

Labourer

ROBERTS

WILLIAM

1833

-

Artisan & Mechanic

ROBINSON

THOMAS

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

RODDA

GEORGE

1809

-

Boilermaker

RODDA

JAMES

1826

-

Engineer

RODDA

JAMES

1838

-

Boilermaker

ROGERS

ABRAHAM

1821

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ROGERS

ABRAHAM

1753

-

Witness (Mason)

ROGERS, ABRAHAM Snr (1753- )
Of St Erth, now 76, he was a Mason for the CCC in 1786 and father of Abraham Jnr (b.1786) He was on te same foundation job as Murley (qv).

ROGERS

ABRAHAM Jnr

1786

-

Mason

ROGERS

HENRY

1833

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ROGERS

JAMES

1826

-

Mason

ROGERS

JOSEPH

1808

1867

Labourer

ROGERS

RICHARD

1781

-

Labourer

ROGERS

THOMAS

1825

-

Blacksmith & Smith

ROGERS

WILLIAM

1821

-

Artisan & Mechanic

ROSCROW

SAMUEL

1818

-

Carpenter & Joiner

ROSEWARNE

JOHN

-

-

Witness (Carrier)

ROSEWARNE, JOHN
A farmer of parts of Trevassack and Ventonleage, a total of 100 acres, commonly called Copperhouse Farm; was a Waywarden in 1808, 1809 and 1810 for Phillack parish and also a carrier for the CCC of ores, coals and copper. The CCC had a large team of horses at that time but they also carried for others.

ROTHERO

WILLIAM HENRY

1824

-

Moulder

ROWE

ALFRED

1823

-

Blacksmith & Smith

ROWE

EDWARD

1800

1867

Artisan & Mechanic

ROWE

HENRY

1827

-

Labourer

ROWE

JAMES

1721

-

Labourer

ROWE

JAMES

1826

1867

Artisan & Mechanic

ROWE

JOHN

1761

-

Witness (Carrier)

ROWE, JOHN (1761- )
A Farmer of St Erth, now 68 carried goods from the quays of Merchant Curnow. His father kept carriages sometimes let out to the mines and he used to drive them. he also carried sand from Carnsew and said that Thomas Ellis had told him that the CCC had given him £40 pounds a year for life to transfer his trade at Carnsew to it.

ROWE

JOHN

1811

-

Labourer

ROWE

JOHN

1826

-

Ropemaker

ROWE

RICHARD

1786

-

Labourer

ROWE

RICHARD

1834

1890

Engineer

ROWE

WILLIAM

1806

1872

Shipyard - Foreman

ROWE, WILLIAM (1806-1872)
Shipyard Foreman for the CCC until it closed down in 1867.

ROWSE

THOMAS

1835

-

Artisan & Mechanic

RULE

DAVID

1817

-

Carpenter & Joiner

RULE

HENRY

1823

-

Patternmaker

RULE

JAMES

1811

-

Engineer

RULE

OLIVER

1770

-

Blacksmith & Smith

RULE

RICHARD Snr

1805

-

Labourer

RUNNALLS

PHILLIP

1821

-

Clerk

SAMPSON

JOHN

1821

-

Carpenter & Joiner

SAMPSON

MATTHEW

1790

-

Carpenter

SAMPSON, MATTHEW (1790- )
Carpenter at the CCC; his daughter Mary married Capt Phillips Biggleston Spray (qv) in 1838.

SAMPSON

THOMAS

1826

-

Engineer

SANDOW

WILLIAM

1756

-

Witness (Farmer)

SANDOW, WILLIAM (1756- )
A Farmer from St Erth, now 73, had been the Parish Clerk for the last 26 years.

SANDYS

WILLIAM, Lt Col

1759

1829

Partner

SANDYS, Lt Col WILLIAM (1759-1829)
Of Lanarth in St Keverne; his sister Mary Sandys (1762-1838) married John Trevenen (qv) as his second wife. A Trustee and one of the Defendants with Joseph Carne and John Vivian on behalf of the CCC in the action begun by Sir John St Aubyn and others in 1828 at the Cornwall Summer Assizes. Partner in the CCC Deed of 1806.

SEDGMAN

ROBERT

1816

-

Labourer

SEYMOUR

CHRISTOPHER

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

SIMONS

??

-

1817

Copper Smelter

SIMONS ? ( -1817)
A Copper Smelter for the CCC; his wife Mary Simons also worked for the CCC picking out chalk for the furnaces.

SIMONS

FRANCIS

1816

-

Labourer

SIMONS

JOHN

1822

-

Engineer

SIMONS

MARY

1759

-

Witness (Chalk Picker)

SIMONS, MARY (1759- )
Aged 70 whose husband had died 11 years ago and was a copper smelter for the CCC. She said that Captain John Perkins ran the public house at Hayle which is now Burt's House. She also worked for the CCC picking chalk for the furnaces.

SIMONS

MOSES

-

-

Coal Measurer

SIMONS

WILLIAM

1826

-

Labourer

SINCOCK

THOMAS

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

SINCOCK

WILLIAM Jnr

1820

-

Blacksmith & Smith

SINCOCK

WILLIAM Snr

1800

-

Blacksmith & Smith

SMITHAM

JOHN

1819

-

Blacksmith & Smith

SMITHAM

JOSEPH

1816

-

Porter (Coal)

SMITHAM

THOMAS

1815

-

Carpenter & Joiner

SPRAY

PHILLIPS BIGGLESTON

-

-

Captain

SPRAY, Capt PHILLIPS BIGGLESTON
Son of Captain William Spray (qv) of Bodriggy; in 1838 married Mary Richard Sampson, daughter of Matthew Sampson (qv) Owned shares in the vessels - Vigilant, Margaret and Madora registered at Hayle.

SPRAY

SAMUEL COOPER Capt

-

-

Ships Master

SPRAY, Capt SAMUEL COOPER
Master and part-owner of the vessel Margaret, built by the CCC.

SPRAY

WILLIAM Capt

1809

1873

Ships Commander

SPRAY, Capt WILLIAM (1809-1873)
Born in Hayle, son of William Spray (qv) and Anna (nee Biggleston) Commander of the steamer 'Brilliant' and other ships on the Hayle-Bristol run; owned shares in the vessels - Margaret, Ocean and Alma registered at Hayle. Married 1831 to Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth Glanville; their son William John (qv) was born 1838.

SPRAY

WILLIAM JOHN

1838

-

Draughtsman

SPRAY, WILLIAM JOHN (1838- )
Apprentice and later Principal Draughtsman for the CCC 1853-1868. On CCC's closure, he moved to Perran Foundry for the period 1870-1878; then to St Blazey Foundry 1881-1883 and from 1883 became the Manager of Tuckingmill Foundry and Roseworthy Hammer Mill. Owned shares in the vessel Ocean.

ST AUBYN

JOHN, SIR

1726

1772

Partner

ST AUBYN, Sir JOHN (1726-1772)
4th Baronet of Clowance in Crowan; MP for Cornwall; married Elizabeth Wingfield of Durham; issue one son John (1758-1839)(qv) and four daughters; a partner in the original deed of 1758 with £2,000 pounds.

ST AUBYN

JOHN, SIR

1758

1839

Partner

ST AUBYN, Sir JOHN (1758-1839) FRS,FLS,FSA
5th Baronet of Clowance in Crowan and of St Michael's Mount; only son of Sir John St Aubyn (1726-1772); married Juliana Vinicombe; High Sheriff of Cornwall in 1781 and MP for Penryn and Helston 1807-1812. Partner from 1772 in succession to his father with £2,000 pounds in CCC.

STEPHENS

MARTIN

-

-

Partner

STEPHENS, MARTIN
A gent of Crane. A Partner in the Deed of 1779 with an investment of £2,000 pounds in the CCC.

STEPHENS

RICHARD

1833

-

Ironfounder

STEPHENS

THOMAS

1826

-

Engineer

STEVENS

EDWARD

1796

1873

Engineer

STEVENS

JACOB

1811

-

Blacksmith & Smith

STEVENS

JAMES

1794

-

Coal Measurer

STEVENS

JOHN Jnr

1827

-

Whitesmith & Tinsmith

STEVENS

JOHN Snr

1784

1863

Whitesmith & Tinsmith

STEVENS

SAMUEL

1800

-

Labourer

STEVENS

SIMON Jnr

1821

-

Artisan & Mechanic

STEVENS

SIMON Snr

1797

-

Blacksmith & Smith

STEVENS

WILLIAM

1806

-

Carpenter & Joiner

STRATTON

GEORGE

-

-

Smelter

STRATTON, GEORGE
Married at Lelant on 18th Oct 1800 and described as a smelter of Phillack, probably at CCC.

STRICKLAND

JOHN

1802

1865

Carpenter & Joiner

STRICKLAND

ROBERT

1799

1865

Sawyer

SWAINE

SAMPSON

-

-

Copper Smelter

SWAINE, SAMPSON
A copper smelter and engineer; in 1754 was responsible with the 3 original CCC partners in establishing the copper smelting works at Carn Entral, Camborne. In 1756 on the move to Ventonleage, probably assisted in setting up the new furnaces there. In 1762 he registered a Specification for a new design of Furnace.

SYMONS

JAMES

1830

-

Blacksmith & Smith

SYMONS

JOSIAH

1811

-

Mason

SYMONS

NATHANIEL

1817

-

Ironfounder

SYMONS

THOMAS

1821

-

Mason

SYMONS

WILLIAM

1821

-

Blacksmith & Smith

TANGYE

JAMES

1825

-

-

TANGYE, JAMES (1825- )
Born at Illogan, the son of Joseph Tangye (d1854); worked at the Redruth and CCC Foundries in the period 1840-1848; moved to Birmingham to work at William Brunton's Works there from 1848-54 and at Wordsells Works from 1854-57, from 1856 became a member of the famous Tangye Bros firm at their Cornwall Works in Birmingham from 1857 with many inventions to his credit.

THOMAS

CHARLES

-

-

Carpenter & Joiner

THOMAS

HENRY

1811

-

Labourer

THOMAS

JAMES Jnr

1836

-

Blacksmith & Smith

THOMAS

JAMES Snr

1810

-

Blacksmith & Smith

THOMAS

JOHN

1797

1868

Labourer

THOMAS

JOHN

1807

-

Engineer

THOMAS

STEPHEN Jnr

1826

-

Labourer

THOMAS

STEPHEN Snr

1800

1871

Labourer

THOMAS

THOMAS

1804

1872

Blacksmith & Smith

THOMAS

THOMAS RULE

1839

-

Sawyer

THOMAS

WILLIAM

1815

-

Labourer

THOMPSON

RICHARD

-

-

Cordwainer

TIPPETT

JOHN

1762

1820

Assaymaster

TIPPETT, JOHN (1762-1820)
Second son of John Tippett of Polstrong, Camborne and his wife Mary Vivian; he was Assaymaster at the CCC and in 1783 married the eldest daughter of John Edwards (qv), the CCC manager. A Lieutenant in the Copperhouse Company of Volunteers raised in 1798.

TODD

EDWIN

1827

-

Labourer

TODD

FRANCIS

1791

-

Labourer

TODD

JAMES

1826

-

Labourer

TOY

HENRY

1806

-

Labourer

TOY

WILLIAM

1814

-

Labourer

TRATHEN

EDWARD

1816

-

Mason

TRATHEN

GEORGE

1821

-

Mason

TRATHEN

THOMAS

1816

-

Labourer

TRATHEN

WILLIAM

1821

-

Labourer

TREDINNECK

NICHOLAS WALTER

-

-

Engineer

TREDINNICK

EDWARD

1818

-

Carpenter & Joiner

TREDINNICK

RICHARD

1757

-

Witness (Farmer)

TREDINNICK, RICHARD (1757- )
A farmer from St Erth now 72 years old.

TREDINNICK

RICHARD

1796

-

Carpenter & Joiner

TREDREA

HENRY

1788

-

Labourer

TREGENZA

EDWARD

1800

-

Boilermaker

TREGONNING

JOHN

1819

-

Moulder

TRELAWNEY

CHARLES Col

-

-

-

TRELAWNEY, Col CHARLES
Of Shotwick Park, son of Lieut General Harry Trelawney; party to an indenture of 1793 re death of Mary Hawkins, widow of Sir Christopher Hawkins and the interest in the CCC which his wife Mary (married 1786), daughter of the deceased, then inherited.

TRELAWNEY

CHARLES Col

1760

1820

Partner

TRELAWNEY, Col CHARLES (c1760-1820)
Of Shotwick Park; in the Navy for a short while; became an Adventurer - met Shelley and Lord Byron. Assumed the name Brereton when inheriting property from a cousin of that name. In 1786 married Mary or Maria, daughter of Christopher Hawkins(qv); she inherited a £4,000 pound interest in the CCC on the death of mother Mary Hawkins in 1793. Col Charles was the son of Major General Harry Trelawney (1726-1800).

TRELOAR

RICHARD JAMES

-

-

Engineer

TRELUDDRA

WILLIAM

-

1826

Ships Commander

TRELUDDRA, WILLIAM ( -1826)
Commander of one of the large tin trading vessels run by the CCC. Later he was Captain of a vessel trading with the West Indies and the Mediterranean. His daughter Susan married Alexander Marrack. His house at 29 Chapel St; Penzance, in which he died, was purchased by Joseph Carne who moved there from Riviere House and kept it as his residence for the whole of his life.

TREMAYNE

HENRY

1801

-

Smelter

TREMAYNE

JOHN

1820

1866

Sawyer

TREMBA

EDWARD

-

-

Engineers

TREMELLING

HUMPHREY

1826

-

Engineers

TREMELLING

JAMES

1771

-

Witness (Farmer)

TREMELLING, JAMES (1771- )
A Farmer from Wendron, aged 58 who was born in St Erth and was Waywarden and Assessor there for several years; he carried away sand for his father's farm.

TREMELLING

JAMES

1821

-

Carpenter & Joiner

TREMELLING

JOHN

1815

-

Carpenter & Joiner

TREMELLING

RICHARD

1826

-

Artisan & Mechanic

TREMELLING

WILLIAM

1796

-

Carpenter & Joiner

TRESTRAIL

HENRY

1821

-

Ropemaker

TRESTRAIL

THOMAS

1822

-

Ropemaker

TREVASKIS

RICHARD

1820

-

Engineer

TREVASKUS

JAMES

1786

-

Moulder

TREVASKUS

JAMES Jnr

1819

-

Moulder

TREVENEN

ELIZABETH

-

-

Partner

TREVENEN, ELIZABETH
One of three spinsters (Harriet & Marianne) (qv) from Dumborough in Surrey; Partners in the 1849 Deed, probably by inheritance.

TREVENEN

HARRIET

-

-

Partner

TREVENEN, HARRIET
One of three spinsters (Elizabeth & Marianne) (qv) from Dumborough in Surrey; Partners in the 1849 Deed, probably by inheritance.

TREVENEN

JOHN

1754

1825

Partner

TREVENEN, JOHN (1754-1825)

of Lower Rosewarne, Camborne and the son of Rev John Trevenen (qv) Became Alderman of Helston and JP for Cornwall. His first wife was Lydia Johns (1753-1786) and second wife Mary Sandys, sister of Col Willian Sandys (qv) Partner in the Deed of 1779 with £8,000 pounds invested which probably included the £3,000 pounds inherited from his father.

TREVENEN

JOHN, Rev

1712

1775

Partner

TREVENEN, Rev JOHN (1712-1775)
Of Lower Rosewarne, Camborne. Only son of Thomas Trevenen of Clowance. Attended Pembroke College, Cambridge 1729, LIB in 1734 and Curate of Camborne 1738-1775. Married Elizabeth Tellam and CCC leases were held on the lives of his sons John (b1754) and Matthew (b1756) His daughter Jane married John Penrose and their son Rev Thomas Trevenen Penrose (qv) became a Partner. His daughter Elizabeth married Admiral Sir Charles Vinicombe Penrose and their daughter Jane married Captain John Coode and became the mother of Admiral Trevenen Penrose Coode (qv) another Partner in 1849. An original Partner in 1754, appearing in the Deed of 1758 with an investment of £3,000 pounds in the CCC

TREVENEN

MARIANNE

-

-

Partner

TREVENEN, MARIANNE
One of three spinsters (Elizabeth & Harriet) (qv) from Dumborough in Surrey; Partners in the 1849 Deed, probably by inheritance.

TREWHELLA

MATTHEW

1779

1862

-

TREWHELLA, MATTHEW (1779-C1862)
Of Riviere, was a class leader at Copperhouse Methodist Chapel for over 30 years.

TROWERN

JOHN

1786

-

Ropemaker

TRUSCOTT

CHARLES

1827

-

Engineer

UREN

MATTHEW

1776

-

Labourer

UREN

RICHARD

1817

-

Cordwainer

UREN

WILLIAM

1749

-

Witness (Mariner)

UREN, WILLIAM (1749-
A Mariner from St Ives, now 80 years of age; born in Lelant, often brought cargoes of coal into Hayle.

VARCOE

JOHN

-

1850

-

VARCOE, JOHN ( -1850)
Left the CCC to go mining in St Agnes where he died; known to his friends as 'Great John Copperhouse'.

VEAL

JAMES

1790

-

Blacksmith & Smith

VEAL

THOMAS

1806

1872

Blacksmith & Smith

VEALE

JOHN

1811

-

Smith

VEALE, JOHN (1811- )
Worked with his father in the Smith's Shop forging chains. The hammer in the Hammer Mill was originally operated by water power but later by a beam engine, which also worked a steam hammer. He remembered Cornish Shovels being made in large numbers and had heard the workmen tell of how one of their number had made 6 locomotive wheels of 3-4 feet diameter (? in 1838 for the Cornubia)

VEALE

MARTIN

1811

-

Ropery - Head of

VEALE, MARTIN (1811- )
Head of the Ropery in 1867 when the CCC closed down. Owned 3 shares in the vessel 'Betsey James', registered at Hayle and sold in 1866.

VINE

WILLIAM

1828

-

Labourer

VIVIAN

HENRY

1810

-

Engineer

VIVIAN

JAMES

1728

1811

Partner

VIVIAN, JAMES (1728-1811)
Of Rosewarne in Camborne; an original partner in the 1758 Deed with £1,000 pounds invested which increased to 7,000 pounds in the 1779 CCC Deed.

VIVIAN

JOHN

-

-

Partner

VIVIAN, JOHN
Of Rosewarne, Merchant in Camborne; Cashier in Dolcoath and other mines and a shareholder in several. An original partner in 1754 at Carn Entral negotiated the move to Ventonleage in 1756 and a Partner in the 1758 Deed with £4,000 pounds invested which was reduced to £2,000 pounds in 1779.

VIVIAN

JOHN

1756

1795

-

VIVIAN, JOHN (1756-1795)
Of Trevassack in Phillack; eldest son of John Vivian (1716-1796) formerly of Vellansaundry, Camborne. He was employed at the CCC where his uncle Roger Vivian (qv) was Agent for 40 years. His second son was Capt John Vivian (qv).

VIVIAN

JOHN

1784

1854

Partner

VIVIAN, JOHN (1784-1854)
Son of John Edward's daughter Ann and her husband John Tippett (Snr) changed his name to Vivian in 1820. He was a Trustee in 1828 and one of the Defendants with Sandys and Carne in the Action of 1828 at Bodmin. A Partner from probably 1823 and certainly so from 1828 to 1849.

VIVIAN

JOHN Capt

1784

1871

Seaman

VIVIAN, Capt JOHN (1784-1871)
Second son of John Vivian (1756-1795)(qv) and born at Trevassack at sea from 1798 to 1802 in the Packet Service. He was in London driving Richard Trevithick's engine in New Road in 1803. Commanded the 'Herald' (1832-42); the 'Cornwall' (1842-59) and the 'Columbia' (1859-60) He retired in 1860 aged 76 years. He, his father and his son John each married an Elizabeth Rosewarne. The son John emigrated to Australia in 1836.

VIVIAN

JULIAN, Miss

1738

-

Partner

VIVIAN, JULIAN, Miss (1738- )
Of Camborne. Held 1,800 pounds interest in CCC Deed of 1779. She was the second daughter of John Vivian (1706-1765) of Rosewarne and married a Mr Babb of the Royal Navy.

VIVIAN

MATTHEW

1750

1814

Partner

VIVIAN, MATTHEW (1750-1814)
Son of Matthew of Camborne and Penelewey in Kea, who married Jane Bennett in 1746. Held an interest of £600 pounds in the 1779 Deed of Partnership.

VIVIAN

ROGER

1756

1817

Agent

VIVIAN, ROGER (1756-1817)
Fourth son of Roger Vivian (1721-1777); Agent for the CCC for 40 years. A devout Methodist and the Copperhouse Society Steward from before 1785. He witnessed the signature of the Partners to the 1779 Agreement, but held no investment himself. Married on 29th Jan 1784 Honor Prideaux at Phillack. His daughter Catherine died 1819 aged 35 and his wife Honor died 1821. In 1815 he was one of the 13 Trustees with James Boddy (qv).

VIVIAN

WILLIAM

1813

1870

-

VIVIAN, WILLIAM (1813-1870)
Described as a 'Superior' at the CCC but there is no evidence that he was a Partner, third son of Capt John Vivian (qv). Married Ellen, the only daughter of William West and had issue 9 children.

VIVIAN-VIVIAN

JOHN Rev

1818

1880

Partner

VIVIAN-VIVIAN, Rev JOHN (1818 - c1880)
Rector of Cardinham; son of John Vivian (qv) (formerly Tippett) A Partner in the CCC and made a Co-Trustee with W H Prance (qv) in 1865 and continued to aid the final winding-up of the CCC.

WALLIS

THOMAS

1811

-

Labourer

WARD

SAMUEL

-

-

Sawyer

WARD, SAMUEL
A Sawyer at the CCC until he was discharged in 1819 but recommended to Capt. Andrew Vivian at Dolcoath and to Capt Philip Richards at Crenver by Joseph Carne as 'an excellent workman, he has been a sawyer for years'.

WARD

SAMUEL Jnr

1816

1863

Sawyer

WARD

SAMUEL Snr

1796

-

Sawyer

WARD

WILLIAM

1826

-

Sawyer

WATERS

SAMUEL

1832

-

Carpenter & Joiner

WATTS

EDWIN

1826

-

Ironfounder

WATTS

GEORGE Jnr

1825

-

Ironfounder

WATTS

GEORGE Snr

1796

-

Ironfounder

WATTS

JOHN

1806

-

Ironfounder

WATTS

MARK

1798

1876

Fireman **POET**

WATTS, MARK (1798-1876)
A fireman at the CCC for many years; leader of the Church Choir and a Poet. He composed many long pieces, of up to 36 verses of 4 lines each, which were printed by J O Harris (the Hayle Printer) on single sheets, which Watts himself sold on the streets. Included were poems on the Harvey family, Hayle Foundry, the Hayle Railway and the CCC. The last was called "A True Tale" and comprised of 26 verses of 4 lines covering the CCC's History to it's closure.

WAYNE

WILLIAM

-

-

Partner

WAYNE, WILLIAM
A Metallurgist who came from Bristol. He married in Cornwall and his only daughter, born 1762 in St Erth, married a Mr Bird and there is a monument to her in Sancreed Church. He had £1,000 pounds invested in the original Partnership Deed of 1758.

WEARE

THOMAS

1823

-

Moulder

WEARNE

JAMES

1821

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WEARNE

JOHN

1771

-

Bricklayer

WEARNE, JOHN (1771- )
Of Phillack, furnace bricklayer at the CCC who in 1790 patented a device for heating steam engine boilers and to use the fires to calcine ores at the same time.

WEARNE

THOMAS

1786

-

Mason

WEARNE

THOMAS

1817

1889

Mason

WEARNE

THOMAS

1821

-

Mason

WEARNE

THOMAS

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WEARNE

THOMAS

1753

-

Witness (Mason)

WEARNE, THOMAS (1753- )
Of Phillack, now 76 was a mason on the same job of sinking the foundations of the floodgates with Murley, Rogers, Oliver.

WEARNE

WILLIAM

-

-

-

WEARNE, WILLIAM
A CCC employee who retired in 1818-1820 with a pension.

WEARNE

WILLIAM

1796

-

Mason

WEIR

THOMAS

1823

-

Moulder

WELLINGTON

JOHN

1811

-

Mason

WEST

JOHN

1800

-

-

WEST, JOHN (1800- )
A nephew of Henry Harvey; in 1825 was offered a post at the CCC for 3 years.

WEST

JOSEPH

1826

-

Artisan & Mechanic

WEST

NICHOLAS

1801

-

Engineer

WHITE

HENRY

1811

-

Whitesmith & Tinsmith

WHITE

RICHARD

1826

-

Engineer

WHITE

RICHARD Jnr

1812

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WHITE

RICHARD Snr

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WHITFORD

HENRY

1815

-

Labourer

WHITFORD

JAMES

1816

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WHITFORD

JOB

1781

-

Labourer

WHITFORD

JOHN

1811

-

Labourer

WHITFORD

JOSEPH

1814

-

Labourer

WHITFORD

THOMAS

1800

1872

Labourer

WILLEY

JOHN

-

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WILLEY

SAMUEL

1834

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WILLIAMS

AUGUSTUS

1803

-

Labourer

WILLIAMS

HENRY

1832

-

Artisan & Mechanic

WILLIAMS

HENRY

1826

-

Painter

WILLIAMS

HENRY

1816

-

Engineer

WILLIAMS

JAMES

1817

1869

Sawyer

WILLIAMS

JAMES

1821

-

Moulder

WILLIAMS

JOHN

1796

-

Labourer

WILLIAMS

JOHN

1826

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WILLIAMS

JOHN

1828

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WILLIAMS

MICHAEL

1815

-

Engineer

WILLIAMS

OCTAVIUS

1820

1882

-

WILLIAMS, OCTAVIUS (1820-1882)
Born at St Clement, Truro, the son of John Williams, became an apprentice at the CCC from 1836 to 1840. As an Engineer he moved to erect and take charge of Tregonning & Co's Tin Plate works in Llanelly. He died in Swansea in 1882.

WILLIAMS

RICHARD

1755

-

Witness (Labourer)

WILLIAMS, RICHARD (1755- )
A labourer of Crowan, now aged 74, born at Breage, worked at Carnsew for Thomas Russell driving mules carrying copper ore to Merchant Curnow's quays at Hayle.

WILLIAMS

THOMAS

1824

-

Mason

WILLIAMS

THOMAS

1806

-

Mason

WILLIAMS

URIAH

1816

-

Labourer

WILLIAMS

WILLIAM

1827

-

Carpenter & Joiner

WILSON

JAMES

1822

-

Blacksmith & Smith

WINNAN

GEORGE

1772

-

Witness (Hind to Harvey)

WINNAN, GEORGE (1772- )
Of St Erth, a hind* to Henry Harvey, who said he was now 57. About 40 years ago the CCC people headed by Mr Millett knocked off the stocks a lighter being built by Harveys; the first blow was struck by a Richard Clemence.

*A hind is a farm servant, peasant, skilled farm-workman, bailiff.

WINNAN

JOHN

1808

1870

Engineer

WOOD

GEORGE HENRY

1833

-

Engineer

WOOD

THOMAS

-

-

Partner

WOOD, THOMAS
Of St Lawrence Pountney in London. Appeared first as a Partner in the 1779 Deed with £600 pounds invested in the CCC. He was still a Partner in 1806 and in 1815 as one of the 15 Trustees of the new Copperhouse Chapel, signed the lease of the plot of land on which to build it.

WOOLCOCK

HENRY

1822

-

Moulder

WOOLCOCK

JAMES

1781

1862

Labourer

WOOLCOCK

JOHN

1826

-

Carpenter & Joiner

YOUNG

DANIEL

-

-

Shipwright

YOUNG

EDWARD

1820

-

Labourer

YOUNG

THOMAS

1796

-

Carpenter & Joiner

[Back to Home Page]        [Back to History]