to Home Page
family direct ancestors of Mary Irene web page
Newiss family tree pdf full details including images
Newiss family tree pdf minimum details and no images
For help viewing pdf files click here
information and sites
Recorded as Newhouse, Newhus, Newus, Newis and Newiss, this is an English and sometimes Scottish, surname. It is either locational from any of the four places called "Newhouse" in the counties of Devonshire, Herefordshire, Kent, or possibly Lanarkshire in Scotland, or from one of the many places called New House in Cumbria, Durham, Dorset, Wiltshire, and Yorkshire, as well as the two villages called Newhouses in Yorkshire and Durham.
Whilst the literal meaning is the New House, the reference may well originally have been either to a house which had replaced a former dwelling, or it may not literally have meant a house, but a settlement. Another suggestion is that it referred to a substantial building, one made of stone, rather than the wattle and lathe which sufficed for most "houses". Locational names of this type were often "from" names. That is to say names given to people as easy identification after they left their original homes and moved elsewhere. Local accents being very thick, and spelling at best erratic, lead to the development of "sounds like" spellings such as Newis and Newiss. Early examples of the surname recordings include Ralph de Niwehus in the Pipe Rolls of Yorkshire in 1176, William atte Newhous in the Subsidy Rolls of Cambridge in 1327, and John Newiss, in the Friary Rolls of Yorkshire in 1672.
The ancestors of the Neuhuse family brought the name to England in the wave of migration after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name Neuhuse is topographical in nature and is of obvious derivation, indicating that its original bearer lived in a such a house as is described. Some cases of the name are taken from any of several small localities which are so named because they held a new house.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Neuhouse, Newhouse, Neuhuse and others.
First found in Yorkshire, where they were seated from early times as Lords of the manor of Neuhuse. This small collection of houses near Gisburn was held by William Percy at the time of the taking of the Domesday Book survey in the year 1086 A.D.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Newhouse who settled in Virginia in 1640; Hannah Newhouse settled in New Jersey in 1773; John Newhouse landed in Philadelphia Pa. in 1748; M. Newhouse and Miss Newhouse settled in San Francisco Cal. in 1852.----------------------------
This interesting surname is of English locational origin from any of the several places thus called, for example, in Lancashire, Lincolnshire, the North Riding of Yorkshire, and the East Riding of Yorkshire, recorded respectively in the Domesday Book of 1086 as "Neuhuse", "Neuhuse", "Newehusum" and "Neuhuse". The placename derives from a contracted form of the Olde English pre 7th Century "neowan husum" meaning "(at the) new houses". During the Middle Ages when migration for the purpose of job-seeking was becoming more common, people often took their former village name as a means of identification, thus resulting in a wide dispersal of the name. The surname is first recorded in the late 12th Century (see below). One Robert de Neusom is noted in the Court Rolls of the Manor of Wakefield, Yorkshire (1275). In the modern idiom the surname has many variant spellings ranging from Newsam, Newsom, Newsome and Newsum to Newsholme. On July 2nd 1628, Margaret, daughter of Thomas and Anne Newsham, was christened at the Church of St. Bartholomew the Less, London. A Coat of Arms granted to the family is blue, on a silver fess three red crosses crosslet, the Crest being a gold boar's head erased, charged on the cheek with a red crosslet. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Robert de Neusum, which was dated 1195, in the "Pipe Rolls of Yorkshire", during the reign of King Richard 1st, known as "Richard the Lionheart", 1189 - 1199. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
Before coming to Keighley the Newiss family lived in Boston Spa and Scarborough. In 1820 the population of Scarborough 8000 inhabitants.
13 August 1853, Scarborough is hit by a great flood which destroys many buildings includung St Mary's church yard
The history of Scarborough scarborough.gov.uk history.scarborough.co.uk
|RICHMOND in Bulmer's Directory of 1890
Tailors and Clothiers.
Paver's Marriage Licenses for the year 1595 and 1596
CENSUS of 1881 for the Parish of Kirkby Malham
Taken from yorkshirehistory.com
ABBOTS OF ST. AGATHA
Roger de Newhouse, occurs 28 Dec. 1475
Taken from payrent.co.uk
Queens Park opened in 1879, covering 43 acres. Martin Newhouse, a local mill owner, had been killed in a railway accident. As he died intestate, his money went to the Crown and from this Heywood was granted the park In 1923 the size was doubled after a gift of land from former Mayor David Healey.
Newiss family from Shepton, Beauchamp, England (1814) rootsweb.com
Penteth Mr (Borough Briggs) & Elizabeth Newhouse (Leeds), 1704 Dickenson's section of Oliver Heywood's Northowram Register
Stephen Newhouse m in 28/11/1796 Slaidburn
Isabell Slinger b. Greenfold, Slaidburn 1774 they had a son Richard
Newhouse 1797 Slaidburn