Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Heath, near Wakefield
Yorkshire

The village of Heath, a Conservation Area, is mainly comprised of houses built in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. From the 1600s, one family of woolstaplers, the Smyths, became the dominant landowners in the village. They were unsuccessful in their attempt to enclose the common in the 1840s, and the village has retained its 'open' character ever since.

This 'virtual tour' includes some of the main features of interest.

 

Photographs taken January 2002

 

The King's Arms Inn

 

 

Inside the King's Arms

 

 

Inside the King's Arms 

 

 

The Manor House

 

 

Beech Lawn

 

 

ha-ha at Beech Lawn

 

 

Old School House

 

 

Marsh Close

 

 

Above the doorway of Marsh Close
The initials are for Richard and Mary Austwick 1665

 

 

The Dower House

 

 

ha-ha at the Dower House

 

 

Heath Hall

 

 

Heath House

 

 

Priest's House

 

 

The ornate gateway to Heath Old Hall (now demolished)

 

 

Blacksmith's Cottage

 

 

The Victorian School

 

 

general view of village buildings

 

 

© Angela Petyt 2002. All rights reserved.

 Permission is granted for all free personal and non-commercial uses.

Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.

 

Back to homepage