Surname report submitted by Jane Peppler
Email me or call (919-383-8952) if you have questions, corrections, additions, or just to say hi!
Mailing address at bottom of this page.
Check here for the letter I just received from the Roger Williams Association, confirming the descendancy I have been working on. My David, it turns out, along with his descendants including the one I can identify positively, appears in "Roger Williams of Providence, Rhode Island," Vol. I, complied by Bertha Williams Anthony and Harriett W. Weeden, published 1949. (This book can be purchased from Higginson or Barnes and Noble.) The story of the wandering Williams branch is below.
|MARRIED: Cynthia Williams daughter of John Williams of Mansfield, and David Williams, merchant, formerly of this town, at Mansfield, by Reverend Mr. Green|
When I saw that, although it was a wonderful break, my first thought was: oh, great. Now I am searching not one Williams family but two! However, it seems Cynthia's parentage may be easy to crack as well - it is likely she is the daughter of John Williams and Mercy Briggs, who married February 14, 1779 at Mansfield, Bristol, Massachusetts. (John was son of Benjamin Williams and Elizabeth Paine; Mercy was the daughter of Richard Briggs and Mercy Cobb.) Stay tuned for more on that.
|Williams, Benoni: Address: No.79, Newbury street, Boston, Massachusetts Occupation: shop keeper, commerce|
And, from deaths notices in the Providence Phenix of November 2 1817:
|Williams, Benoni, at Boston, aged 72 years. He edited the first Republican newspaper published in Providence in 1802, called "The Impartial Observer"|
The two notices above narrow the window for Benoni's relocation to Boston: in 1802 he published a newspaper in Providence; by 1805 he is listed as shop keeper at No 79 Newbury Street in the City Directory.
Interestingly, all the children of David and Cynthia who did NOT die young can be found in the Vital Records of Wayland, as they were simultaneously baptised, all five of them, on the day of Almira's wedding (the same thing happened to me and my brothers, we had a mass baptism when we were seven, four, and one due to family pressure). Note that my ancestor Ann Elizabeth is called by her married name, as she married in 1831. This notice can be found in the Wayland Vital Records (East Sudbury is now called Wayland):
And here's what I've collected on David and Cynthia Williams:
6. DAVID ESQ.6 WILLIAMS (BENONI JR.5, BENONI4, JOSEPH3, DANIEL2, ROGER1) was born March 25, 1780 in Providence, Rhode Island, and died June 04, 1861 in Boston, Massachusetts. He married CYNTHIA WILLIAMS March 20, 1803 in Mansfield, Bristol, Massachusetts, daughter of JOHN WILLIAMS and MERCY BRIGGS.
Children of DAVID WILLIAMS and CYNTHIA WILLIAMS are:
i. ALMIRA MARIANNE TURPIN7 WILLIAMS, b. March 03, 1805, Scituate, Providence, Rhode Island; m. HENRY BRIGGS, February 09, 1834, East Sudbury, Wayland, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
ii. DAVID HOMER WILLIAMS, b. June 28, 1807, Providence, Rhode Island.
7. iii. ANN ELIZABETH WILLIAMS, b. 1809, Massachusetts; d. November 1845, Mississippi River, Ohio.
iv. HENRY BENNETT WILLIAMS, b. 1812, Scituate, Providence, Rhode Island; d. March 04, 1848, Newton, Middlesex, Massachusetts; m. LUCRETIA JACKSON, March 10, 1847, Newton, Middlesex, Mass.
v. BENONI WILLIAMS, b. May 05, 1814; d. April 16, 1816, Boston, Massachusetts.
8. vi. CYNTHIA ANN WILLIAMS, b. July 04, 1814, Scituate, Providence, Rhode Island.
vii. ERNEST AUGUSTUS WILLIAMS, b. January 08, 1820, Scituate, Providence, Rhode Island; d. August 27, 1823, Boston, Massachusetts.
Generation No. 7
7. ANN ELIZABETH7 WILLIAMS (DAVID ESQ.6, BENONI JR.5, BENONI4, JOSEPH3, DANIEL2, ROGER1) was born 1809 in Massachusetts, and died November 1845 in Mississippi River, Ohio. She married CHARLES BOWEN November 15, 1831 in Boston, Suffolk, MA, son of DIJAH BOWEN and ELIZABETH FLINT.
Children of ANN WILLIAMS and CHARLES BOWEN are:
i. CHARLES HENRY8 BOWEN, b. September 05, 1832, Boston, Massachusetts; d. November 1845, Mississippi River.
ii. FRANCES ANNE BOWEN, b. September 25, 1836; m. EDWIN M. DR. KELLOGG, October 11, 1869, of Newton, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
9. iii. MARY WILLIAMS BOWEN, b. December 25, 1839, Zanesville, OH; d. 1908, Cambridge, Massachusetts in Cambridge Cemetery.
8. CYNTHIA ANN7 WILLIAMS (DAVID ESQ.6, BENONI JR.5, BENONI4, JOSEPH3, DANIEL2, ROGER1) was born July 04, 1814 in Scituate, Providence, Rhode Island. She married GEORGE NELSON NICHOLS.
Child of CYNTHIA WILLIAMS and GEORGE NICHOLS is:
10. i. ANN HOMER8 NICHOLS, b. 1846; d. 1926.
Generation No. 8
9. MARY WILLIAMS8 BOWEN (ANN ELIZABETH7 WILLIAMS, DAVID ESQ.6, BENONI JR.5, BENONI4, JOSEPH3, DANIEL2, ROGER1) was born December 25, 1839 in Zanesville, OH, and died 1908 in Cambridge, Massachusetts in Cambridge Cemetery. She married THORNDIKE DELAND HODGES April 28, 1867 in New York, New York or Cambridge, Massachusetts, son of JOHN HODGES and MARY DELAND.
Children of MARY BOWEN and THORNDIKE HODGES are:
i. MABEL THORNDIKE9 HODGES, b. January 30, 1868, Haverhill, Massachusetts; d. Aft. 1930; m. JOSEPH M.D. KITTREDGE, October 31, 1889, South Orange, New Jersey.
ii. CHARLES BOWEN HODGES , SR., b. June 29, 1870, Orange, New Jersey; d. October 15, 1947, Boston Massachusetts; m. IMOGENE BURT, October 13, 1898, Waterloo, IA.
iii. FRANCES EDWINA HODGES, b. 1872, Orange, New Jersey; d. Aft. 1880.
iv. RICHARD OSGOOD HODGES, b. 1877, New Jersey; d. WFT Est. 1907-1967; m. ABBY DIANA AMES, 1902.
10. ANN HOMER8 NICHOLS (CYNTHIA ANN7 WILLIAMS, DAVID ESQ.6, BENONI JR.5, BENONI4, JOSEPH3, DANIEL2, ROGER1) was born 1846, and died 1926. She married WALTER H. TENNEY.
Children of ANN NICHOLS and WALTER TENNEY are:
i. WALTER HARRIS9 TENNEY.
ii. MAUDE TENNEY.
iii. WINTHROP P. TENNEY.
iv. SUSAN TENNEY.
5301 Cedronella Drive
Chapel Hill NC 27514