The following three quizzes were handed out at the Workman family reunion in August 1998.
References to "the church" refer to Sterling Methodist Church in Sterling Township, Brookings
county, South Dakota. I do not have an answer key for these questions. So for now I'll keep you guessing ...
I guess that means there'll be no cheating.
- Which "kid" hung in the church basement window at age 3?
- On what Workman place were dances held?
- Where on the Workman property was a "still" located?
- Who homesteaded & sold the land where the church is
- Why was the minister late for Ruth & Lowell's wedding?
- Where did Jesse Workman live & when did he more into
- Where & to whom did George Lewis go for help when Lowell
- Why was a yellow stripe painted on the church during
World War One?
- Where was the barn & hitching post located at the church?
- Who had a set of twins named Jake and Dan? Which one was
- Which one of the twins named Dan and Don are the oldest?
- How many brothers and sisters did Minnie Workman have?
- How many brothers and sisters did George Lewis Workman have?
- What Workman couple was killed in a buggy accident?
- Name some of the Koester & Workman descendants that spent
summers at Ruth & Lowell's home.
- Home much did the original part of the George Lewis
Workman home cost & where did they haul the lumber from?
- Where did they get the Oak trees from for winter logs?
- Who set the Workman house on fire the 4th of July with
- When did the Koesters & Workmans come to Dakota & how
- What 2 sisters born in the 1800's are buried in the
- What vicinity did the Workmans & Koesters come from when
they came to Dakota?
- What Koesters, besides Minnie Workman homesteaded in
Dakota? How many stayed?
- What Workman ancestor walked most of the way on the "Gold
trek" to California?
- What 77 year old Lady can still squeal her tires?
- Ask someone to tell you about "4th of July" parties.
- Ask someone to tell you about "smart pills".
- Ask someone to tell you about playing in the barn.
- Ask someone to tell you about rigging an pulley and rope
to climb to the cupola at the top of the barn.
- Ask for a signature of a "great" relative.
- Ask for initials of a pair of twins.
- Ask someone who has driven a horse and buggy to tell you
- Ask someone who has been in the church bell tower to sign
- Ask someone who can speak a foreign language to tell you
- Ask someone to tell you something in German.
- Ask someone who has been married for 50 years to sign
their initials and their spouse.
- Ask someone who has an anniversary or a birthday today to
sign your paper.
- Ask someone whose nickname is Donald Duck to sign your
- Ask someone to tell you a story about the great
- Ask someone to tell you a story about gypsies and smoke
- Ask someone how many miles they traveled to get here?
- Ask a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cousin to sign your paper.
- Tell me a memory of your grandpa or grandma.
- What did you and your brother and sister fight about most?
- What was the dumbest stunt ever pulled by your and a brother or sister?
- Tell about the worst winter you can remember.
- What was thee 1st movie you ever saw?
- Who was in it?
- Who took you?
- What was your favorite meal as a child?
- Tell of a nickname given to you by friends, family, or classmates.
- Did you have family reunions when you were a kid? Tell me about one.
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- Describe a place you liked to go to play alone.
- Describe a place you played with a gang.
- What was the favorite "hang out" place in high school?
- What was the best pet you ever had?
- How did you spend Sunday afternoons when you were a kid?
- What is your favorite time of year? Why?
- Describe some household chores you had as a child.
- Describe some outdoor chores you had as a child.
- Which chore did you dislike most
- Tell about a practical joke played on you.
- Did you ever try to adopt a wild animal?
- Tell about a practical joke you played on a person.
- Did you mom or dad ever find something you had hidden?
- Tell of a memory of church when you were growing up. Sunday School, programs, socials
- If you could return to your childhood, what would you do
- Tell about the naughtiest thing you ever did.
- Did you get caught?
- What happened (what were the consequences)?
- Tell about the first time you were behind the wheel of a car.
- Tell about a May-day tradition.
- What were the baskets made of?
- What was in them?
- Were you ever bitten by a dog?
- What was some good advice your mother or father gave you?
- Tell of a favorite memory of your mother.
- Do you remember any childhood songs or rhymes?
- Name some popular songs from your youth.
- What was your favorite group?
- What was your favorite song?
- Tell of a memory involving a war during your childhood.
- What year did you graduate from high school?
- Tell us about your graduation or any traditions
- How many students were in your graduating class?
- Tell of your closest friend you had during childhood.
- Tell of a childhood illness.
- Is there anything you have now that you have kept from
you childhood? Toys, clothes, tools
- Tell be about bath time when you were a kid.
- Did you ever go on a snipe hunt?
- What was your 1st job and what did you get paid?
- Were you ever chased by some animal?
- How did you learn to swim? Where did you go swimming?
- Tell me about a bike that you had?
- What kind of fireworks did you have when you were a kid?
- What kind of traditions did you have for the 4th of July?
- Did you ever go to carnivals or amusement parks?
- What kind of rides and games were there?
- How much did it cost?
- Tell about the state fair.
- Tell about a family vacation when you were a kid.
- Do you have any advice for me?
- Describe your childhood home and neighborhood.
- Tell me a memory about having company at your house.
- Did you have any favorite family songs that you sang together?
- Tell a roller skating story.
- Was there ever an incident when you ever got angry with your mom or dad?
- Tell me a memory involving an outhouse.
- Tell about the playground equipment at your school.
- Tell about the naughtiest kid in school.
- Tell me a story about the depression.
- What did you do for birthday parties when you were a kid?
- When was your first plane ride?
- Where did you go?
- How old were you?
- Tell about your bedroom.
- What did you have for furniture?
- Did you share your room?
- What color was it?
- What do you remember about your first day of school?
- Describe your typical school day outfit.
- How did you get to and from school?
- Did you ever lose or break something that belonged to someone else?