Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Minster, Isle of Sheppey is a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Sheppey district, Kent.  The village stands on the north coast of the Isle of Sheppey, opposite the Nore, 3 miles east-by-north of Queenborough rail station;  and has a post office, of the name of Minster, under Sittingbourne.  The parish contains also the town of Sheerness, and is studded with hamlets and habitations.  Acres, 11,035;  of which 2,845 are water.  Real property in 1860, 37,668;  of which 250 are in fisheries.  Population in 1851, 11,082;  in 1861, 15,964.  Houses, 2,231.  The increase of population arose mainly from the establishment of a steam engine factory, and other works, in the royal dockyard of Sheerness;  and so many as 12,015 of the population in 1861 were in the town of Sheerness 1,532 on board vessels, 1,005 in Sheerness barracks, and 73 in the military hospital