Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

DEPTFORD CHURCHES.

 

St. Nicholas Church. 12th century ? rebuilt 1697

St.Pauls Church . Consecrated June 30th 1730.

St.James Hatcham founded May 1844 It took part of the Parish of St. Pauls

New Street School and Preaching Station .building erected in 1838

Society of Friends. The Deptford meeting house dates from 1692

Wesleyan Methodist  Church, Mary Ann’s Buildings ,High Street .Methodism was     p         present in Deptford from at least 1739.Permanent churcherected in 1803.Chapel

            records before 1839 have been lost.

Brunswick Chapel Wesleyan  Methodist Free Church ,an offshoot of the church

above.

Wesleyan Methodist  Church  New Cross

Ebenezer Independent  Chapel  King Street ,erected in 1800

Bethel Independent Chapel  erected 1814/15 near Blackhorse Bridge

Welsh Independent Church from before 1836

Presbyterian Church Brockley building erected 1n the 1880’s

New Jerusalem north end of Warwick Street

Free Church of England located on Hatcham Park Road New Cross Gate

 

In addition there were a number of other Church of England churches in Deptford ,all erected in the 19th Century as well as  one Roman Catholic ,several Baptists ,two Congregationalist ,and one or two other Wesleyan Methodist .With one or two exceptions ,all were founded in the 19th Century.

 

St.Nicholas Registers date from 1563 and are complete with the exception of marriages between 1705 to 1735. these registers are arranged by volume as follows .

 

1       bp,m and burials                  1563 – 1653

2              ditto                               up to 1664

3              ditto                               up to  1705

4       bp and burials                     1707 – 1717

5              ditto                             1717 – 1786

6              ditto                             1786 – 1794

7              ditto                             1794 – 1802  and m. 1735  - 1754

8              ditto                             1802 – 1812

9              m.                                1754 – 1764

10            m.                                1764 – 1784

11            m                                 1784 - 1812      

 

Burials, with few exceptions , have not taken place in this church or churchyard  since 1856

In 1884 the Parish of St.Nicholas contained nearly 8,000 persons .

 

The following number of employees worked in Deptford  Yard as of June 14th 1739

Shipwrights 410 , quarterboys 8 ,     caulkers 27 ,     oakum boys  9 ,    pitch heaters   11 ,       joiners 34 ,     

House carpenters  48  ,       wheelwrights  2 ,    plumbers 11 ,     bricklayers  23 ,    bricklaers labourers 39,

Sailmakers 19 ,   scavelmen   31 ,     riggers 14 ,     labourers 130 ,    blockmakers 2  ,    locksmiths  3 ,  

Teams 4 ,   sawyers  45       trenailmooters   2 ,   oarmakers 1  ,     smiths  37 ,   compassmakers  2 ,  a

At this time there were 895 workmen .but by the following November 14th  the number had risen to 1097  and the shipwright to 490 ,This resulted from the war in 1739

 ,                                                                                  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------