Background History Sheerness
From the book by Prof.David
There were three churches belonging to the Church of England in Sheerness: Holy Trinity, St. Paul's, and the Dockyard Church. Holy Trinity, the parish church, in Mile Town, was opened August 3O,
1836; however, the ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity was formed Feb. 14, 1851, from the parish of Minster. It is a plain brick structure and the interior is somewhat austere, but the chancel and
stained glass windows are beautiful. It is situated at the
corner of Broadway and Trinity Road.
The parish of St. Paul's, Sheerness (Blue Town), was formed as a
from Holy Trinity, and Minster, March 25, 1873. A contract to build St. Paul's Church, for L2OOO, was let July 29, 1871.
The church, a brick one, in the Byzantine style, was consecrated in June, 1872. It was enlarged in 1876 to accomodate
and served as the Garrison Church, the Vicar being Acting Chaplain to the forces.
It stood along Station Road, near the Dockyard railway station, on land now occupied by Sheerness Steel.
H.M. Dockyard Church, is the last of several churches erected for
the use of
Navy. The first Dockyard Church was opened Jan. 1,
169O. In 1835 another Dockyard Church was built by Rennie and Hoi1 for the use of the Fleet and the Garrison, but
services. It stands in close proximity
to the end
Street, Blue Town, nearest the
bridges. No banns were ever read nor marriages solemnized
26, 1881 the Dockyard Church was badly burned with the loss of
two lives. On Jan. 7, 1882 an estimate of L4,7OO
was given to repair it. The Church remained in that condition for
rumors of Dockyard closure; however, by March, 1882 the church was
completely restored, services in the meantime having been conducted in the Dockyard Sail
There are memorials