MICHAEL PEVY FAMILY
Michael Pevy, son of Abraham & Lydia Seale Peavy, was born 1800 in Georgia. He died 27 Feb 1871 in Elmore County, Alabama.
Military: Alabama Militia, Coosa, 68th Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 7th Division. 1837 Captain, 1840 Major. This militia's main concern was to put down Indian rebellions. In May 1846, a company called "The Coosa Volunteers" was organized at wetumpka. Captain Bennet S. Griffin styled his organization as a company of "riflemen." Henry W. Cox of Rockford raised another company on 2 Jun 1846, and both companies were mustered into service in the Mexican-American war for 6 months. Due to the lack of records, it is not known if Michael participated in this war. In 1860, a company was formed called the "Central Institute Cavalry" of which Michael was Captain. Note also that Walter Frances Pevy was listed as being third lieutenant of this company, and later joined the Confederate States of America. Major Pevy lived between Eclectic and Central in what was Coosa County, Alabama, but in 1866 became Elmore County. Michael owned a 680 acre plantation. He raised a variety of crops and horses. It is stated in Michael Pevy's will and probate, dated 8 Sept 1869, that his wife, A. W. Pevy and daughter Melissa O. Pevy shall have one cow and one calf and bed and bed stead and clothing that goes with it. It also states that his property be sold to the highest bidder and the money be divided between his wife A. W. Pevy and his children, Walter F. Pevy, Julia Ann Ingram, Andrew Jackson Pevy, Lidia Jane Holley, Amanda Catherine Jordan, Missouria L. Gunnell and Milissa O. Pevy.
Michael married Hetty Haden about 1832 in Georgia. Hetty was born 1810 in Georgia. She died between 1861-1867.
Michael Pevy and Hetty Haden had the following children:
1. Walter Frances Pevy was born 19 Aug 1832 in Butler County, Alabama. He died 30 Jun 1904 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
2. Julia Ann Pevy was born 13 aug 1834 in Butler County, Alabama. She died 18 May 1918 in Elmore County, Alabama.
3. Andrew Jackson Peevy was born 28 Jun 1836 in Butler County, Alabama. He died 18 Jan 1912 in Jonesboro, Jackson Parish, Louisiana.
4. Lydia Jane Pevy was born 23 Aug 1841 in Butler County, Alabama. She died 15 May 1916 in Elmore County, Alabama.
5. Amanda Catherine Pevy was born 8 Aug 1844 in Butler County, Alabama. She died 29 Jul 1905 in Elmore County, Alabama.
Amanda married John Calvin Jordan abt 1867, in AL He was born 01 Oct 1841 died 1923.
Amanda Pevy and John Calvin Jordan had the following children:
1 . Idilla O. Jordan born 25 Apr 1869 Elmore County AL and died 12 Sep 1946.
Idilla married JH Landers on 18 apr 1886 in Elmore county AL
Idilla married George Spring or Spivey after 1895
2. Mary Viola Jordan born 11 May 1871 Elmore County AL and died 24 July 1945.
Mary married William R. Tucker 13 Jun 1901 He was born 08 Aug 1844 Butler County AL. and died 27 Jun 1925, he apparently was the widower of her sister Leaner who married him in 1900 and she died in early 1901.
3. Corrie Missoura Jordan born 08 Sep 1873 Elmore County AL and died 20 Mar 1956 Tallassee, Elmore County AL.
Corrie married John Thomas Melton on 5 Dec 1892 Elmore County AL. He was born 19 Mar 1870 and died 03 Nov 1922.
Corrie Jordan and John Melton had the following children:
1. Byron Melton born 06 May 1895 AL and died 14 Nov 1964.
Byron married Susie Elena Hornsby born 27 Mar 1901 and died 10 Dec 1968.
2. Aldridge Melton born Jul 1899 Elmore County AL and died 21 Jun 1967.
Aldridge married Silas McCoy born 04 Apr 1899 and died 05 May 1961
3. Audrey Melton born 24 Feb 1902 Elmore County AL and died 13 Oct 1954.
Audrey married Thomas Jefferson Stanfield born 07 May 1891, died 10 Jan 1968.
4. Larue Melton born 16 Jan 1905 Elmore County AL, died 29 Jul 1982.
Larue married Grandy Watson born 02 Feb 1904, died 14 Nov 1940.
5. Ercle Melton born 20 Sep 1908 Elmore County AL, died 23 Nov 1969.
Ercle married Lemuel Clinton Goss
6. Tommie May Melton born 28 Jul 1910 Elmore County AL, died 20 Jun 1940.
Tommie married John Nolan McCain born 15 Sep 1905, died 22 Jun 1951.
7. Hoyt Abdie Melton born 03 May 1915 Elmore County AL, died 14 May 1983 Hoyt married Kathleen Vera Bridgeman born 26 Nov 1919, died 02 Aug 1999.
4. Leanar Pearl Jordan born 15 Oct 1875 and died 25 Mar 1901 Elmore County AL
Leanar married William R. Tucker on 11 Sep 1900 and died 27 Jun 1925 in Elmore County AL.
5. Herbert A. Jordan born 25 Nov 1889 and died 30 Aug 1903 Elmore County AL. He was about 14 yrs when he died.
6. Missoura Pevy was born Apr 1847 in Butler County, Alabama. She died Jan 1913 in Elmore County, Alabama.
7. Melissa O. Pevy was born 1848.
Walter Frances Pevy, son of Michael & Hetty Haden Pevy, was born 19 Aug 1832 in Butler County, Alabama. He died 30 Jun 1904 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
Military: Central Institute Cavalry, 1860-1862, Third Lieutenant. Confederate States of America, 53rd Alabama Partisan Rangers, Company C, Colonel Moses Hannon Brigade. "Walt" enlisted in the Confederate Amry on 6 Aug 1862 at Buckyville, Alabama. Present on the rolls through 7 Mar 1864. He is listed as a private and occupation in military as teamster. Surrendered at South Carolina at end of war. Walt moved to north Louisiana with his brother Andrew Jackson Pevy on 12 Dec 1866. According to a descendant of Andrew Jackson, Walt & Andrew and their families left Alabama for Texas in 1866, but when they got to Dorcheat around what is now Webster Parish, Louisiana, it was flooded, and they couldn't cross it. Walt decided to settle there, and Andrew in Jackson Parish. This claim is substantiated by a book that has marriage dates and some tax lists for Coosa County, Alabama which states, "tax insolvent - 1866 - moved to Texas." There is also a document called the amnesty oath which confederate soldiers signed that states Walter had been a resident of Claiborne Parish since 12 Dec 1866. On military records Walt spelled his name Peavy. His address is listed on widow application as Jefferson Community, Webster Parish (population in 1901 was 250), which was located about 7 miles nother of Minden, which is now Kisatchie National Forest. This area was Claiborne Parish until 1871 when it was formed into what is now Webster Parish. The postmaster of Jefferson was Oliver E. Horton. That post office operated from 1901 - 1911. Walter filed for homestead patent through the land office in Natchitoches, Louisiana on 8 Feb 1872. On the application it states that he has built a log cabin about 17 square feet with gallery and shed annexed. He has planted, farmed and cultivated about 45 acres of said land and has made the following improvements, kitchen, corn, crib, cotton house, well, horselot, garden, and orchard. The fee for application being $13.05 for the entry of the north half of the southwest quarter and the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter of section 3, in township 20, of range 9 west, containing 121 acres and 75 hundreds of an acres. After his death his property was left to his widow Martha Ann Pevy and in 1913 she transfered her property to her children, and they in turn sold their portion to Virgil Andrew Pevy. They wach sold their portion of the said property for $21.52 and $213.06 to Martha Ann Pevy. Walter's name is spelled Pevy on the 1880 and 1900 Webster Parish census and on his grave marker. Buried in Crow Cemetery about 1 miles past Pine Grove Methodist Church on Highway 159. His cause of death listed on widow's application for confederate pension was "died suddenly of sunstroke or apoplexy."
Walter Frances married Martha Ann Wall on 15 Jul 1858 in Coosa County, Alabama. Martha Ann, daughter of James C. & Isabella Johnson Wall, was born 14 Apr 1841 in Alabama. She died 7 Jan 1920 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
Walter Frances Pevy & Martha Ann Wall had the following children:
1. Willie T. Pevy was born 17 Dec 1862 in Alabama. He died 28 Sep 1864.
2. Hettie Isabell Pevy was born 16 Oct 1859 in Montgomery County, Alabama. She died 26 Sep 1938 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
3. Thomas Michael Pevy was born 2 Apr 1861 in Alabama. He died 13 Dec 1937 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
4. Amanda Susan Pevy was born 11 Mar 1866 in Alabama. She died 14 Jan 1935 in Hortman, Webster Parish, Louisiana. She was a baby when Walter & Martha left Alabama & moved to Louisiana. She fainted and fell in the fireplace and was badly burned. She was engaged to be married at the time and called off her wedding. She never did get married.
5. Matrona Pevy was born 14 Feb 1868 in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. She died 31 Aug 1942 in New Mexico.
6. James Elmore Pevy was born 17 May 1870 in Claiborne Parish, Louisiana. He died 8 Aug 1956 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
7. Sumpter Deleon Pevy was born 21 Oct 1872 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 8 May 1944 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
8. Exer Pevy was born 14 Feb 1876 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. She died 31 Jul 1902 in Union County, Arkansas.
9. Dempsey Douglas Pevy was born 27 Sep 1877 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 8 Jul 1944 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
10. Virgil Andrew Pevy was born 15 Dec 1879 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 28 Oct 1967 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
11. Elion H. Pevy was born 22 Jan 1883 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 17 Nov 1893 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. Caude of death: It was said Elion died after falling out of a tree.
12. Floyd Pevy was born 8 Aug 1886 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 20 Oct 1970 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
Floyd Pevy, son of Walter Frances & Martha Ann Wall Pevy, was born 8 Aug 1886 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 20 Oct 1970 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. Occupation: Farmer.
Floyd married Vashti L. Black on 9 Nov 1906 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. Vashti L., daughter of Mitchell Rice & Nancy C. Pope Black, was born 29 Feb 1892. She died 9 Jan 1953 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
Floyd Pevy and Vashti L. Black had the following children:
1. Sallie May Pevy was born 21 Jan 1908 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. She died 21 Jun 1990 in Fillmore, Louisiana.
2. Mithcell Pevy was born 31 Dec 1909 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 7 Aug 1976.
3. Charles Edgar Pevy was born 9 Mar 1912 in Evergreen, Louisiana. He died 26 May 1955 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
4. Nelson Jehu Pevy was born 1 Jun 1914 in Grove, Louisiana. He died 11 Aug 1985 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
5. Clara Mae Pevy was born 25 Feb 1917 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. She died 20 Jun 1998 in Springhill, Louisiana.
6. James Purvis Pevy was born 4 Nov 1925 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. He died 27 Jul 1996.
Nelson Jehu Pevy, son of Floyd & Vashti L. Black Pevy, was born 1 Jun 1914 in Gove, Louisiana. He died 11 Aug 1985 in Webster Parish, Louisiana.
Military: Army National Guard, 156th Infantry, Company F, enlisted 7 Oct 1931 - 2 Mar 1934. Louisiana State Guard, Company A, 6th Battalion, 1942-1943. Features listed as: eyes, grey; hair, brown; complexion, medium; height, 67"; weight, 199 lbs. when in guard. Owned and operated Pevy Motors, Pevy Nash Motors located at 602 East Union street, Minden, Louisiana.
Nelson Jehu Pevy married Dorothy Bell McClung 1934 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. Dorothy Bell, daughter of Monroe Eull & Clara Fouch Mobley McClung, was born 28 Apr 1917 in Gibsland, Louisiana. She died 17 Jun 2001 in Minden, Louisiana.
Nelson Jehu Pevy & Dorothy Bell McClung had the following child:
Annie Pevy was born 2 Oct 1942 in Webster Parish, Louisiana. She died 15 Mar 1996 in Lincoln Parish, Louisiana.
MICHAEL PEVY'S WILL - in Alabama Wills
ABRAHAM PEAVY'S PENSION - Father of Michael Pevy
HOME ALPHABETICAL INDEX
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids