The Migration Project is compiled information from
members of the Dobbs, Greene, and Lenoir County ROOTS L Lists.
Additional corrections and additions are welcome and can be sent
to Martha Mewborn Marble email@example.com
Changes will be made to the individual state files as
- FLOWERS - Albert Sr.4 Flowers (William3, Simon2, John1,
born abt 1785 Wayne Co.,
- NC., died July 1852 Barbour Co., AL. Married Rebecca (Flowers)
- abt. 1793 in NC, died in AL.
- KORNEGAY - Bibb Co, Ala and then to Texas
- Susan Russell Beckham Caldwell, wife of Henry Allen
Caldwell, b. May 10, 1812, Jones Co., GA d. Dec 27, 1901, Coffee
- Henry Allen Caldwell, b. Sept 25, 1804 Lenoir Co, NC,
d. Mar 6, 1861 Coffee Co., AL
- Thomas Jefferson Caldwell, Feb 5, 1836 d July 13,
- Charles James Caldwell, July 14, 1846 d May 19,
- WILLIAM WITHERINGTON (various spellings) - William
Witherington - Born l0 Feb l74l d 2 Sept l819 in Tattnall Co,
- wife: Elizabeth Lewis born Sept 3, 17(?)1. The date is
illegible in the prayer book. Daughter of Zelphra and Louise
Lewis. Have her date also - She was born 03 September 1745 in
Craven Co, NC, and died Aft. 1773.
- William probably had a brother Cleverly who remained in
Lenoir County and Robert.
- i. Lewis4 Witherington, born June 26, 1766
- ii. Janey Witherington, born March 02, 1769 She married
Peter DuBoise .
- Lewis and Jane were the only ones listed in the Prayer
- iii. Peter Witherington, born 1770 in NC died October
1852, Lowndes Co (now Lanier), Georgia. He married Jane
- iv Elizabeth Witherington (m. Ezekial Norwood) - no
- v William WITHERINGTON Jr. was born on 11 Apr 1773
- Districk, SC or Dobbs Co, NC d. 25 April 1837, Conecuh Co,
- md Sarah "Sally" STANLEY 13 February 1794, daughter of
- and ZILPHIA EDWARDS. She was born 22 March 1777 in
Dobbs Co, NC, and died 01
- June 1845 in Conecuh Co, AL.
- (NOTE: My thanks to Jean Witherington for straightening out
this line from the original information)
- TAYLOR, CAULEY, DAVIS - Lenoir/Duplin to Covington
County - descendants of William and Catherine Davis Taylor -
children James, Winifred who md Bartholmew Cauley also from
Lenoir/Duplin, Windol, and Elizabeth Taylor - all in Covington Co
Ca 1820 or so
DALE AND HOUSTON
- KORNEGAY - My family of Kornegays came fron Craven,
Lenior, Jones and probably more surrounding counties. It was
George Walter Kornegay born 1820. He moved to
- Dale Co.,Al. and later Houston Co.
- YEOMAN - The Yeoman family found on the GenWeb site for
Dale County was originally from the Eagle Swamp area of Lenoir
County. They first moved to SC and then on to Dale County
- FIELDS - BARTHOLOMEW FIELDS was thought to be a son of
Brittle Fields of Dobbs County, but it is not proven. He first
went to Darlington Co., SC and then on to Dale Co, Alabama where
he died. His Rev. War Pension application states his mother was a
Cotton and he was born in Dobbs Co.
- PHILLIPS/HARDY/SWILLIVANT - John and Rhoda Phillips
Hardy moved from Lenoir Co, to Jasper County, Georgia and then to
Henry County, Ala. Rhoda was the daughter of James and Margaret
Swillivant of Lenoir County. John may have been the son of John
and Mary Phillips Hardy of the Eagle Swamp area of Lenoir County.
Bible Records for James and Margaret were originally located in
Henry Co, but have since been burned.
- KILPATRICK - Lenoir/Greene Co to Darlington and Sumter
Co, SC - John Kilpatrick son of Easley Sr; possible his brother,
Easley, Jr also went; John had a son, Easley who remained in
Darlington and probably a number of other children, including
Warre who moved to Henry County, Ala. Various lines have not been
connected with proof
- KENNEDY and WESTBROOK families - Lenoir to
Franklin Co -
- LASSITER/HERRING/WIGGINS/UZZELL - Thomas Uzzell
Lassiter(1802-1863) in Lenoir appears to be the one in 1830 Morgan
Co. AL census listed between James Wiggins and Joseph Herring.(and
later died in New Orleans, LA)
- Jacob Lassiter born ca 1791 in Morgan Co in 1830 but
not listed in 1840
- Isom Lassiter appears to be the one born ca 1796 in
Lenoir on the 1840 census of Morgan Co. AL. and later went to MS I
am told. He married Zilpha Westbrook (dau. of Suanna Uzzell and
Burwell Westbrook according to a Westbrook Journal)
- James Wiggins(1772-1849) married Susanna Lassiter
(1785-1861) about 1804 in
- Lenoir and moved to Morgan Co. AL about 1825.
- Joseph Herring (1795-1861) married Anna (1805-1877) the
oldest daughter of above James Wiggins and Susanna Lassiter and
moved with them.
- All the Lassiters mentioned above are children of Stephen
Lassiter and Nancy Uzzell.
- James Wiggins is son of Gershom Wiggins (1738-1820's) and
- (1750-1820's). Joseph Herring is son of Benjamin Herring and
wife Ann of Greene Co.
GREENE & LAWRENCE
- CROOM/DESMOND - Lenoir to Greene and Lawerence Counties
- Croom - Isaac; Matilda Croom and her husband Lewis Desmond who
was also from Lenoir Co.
PERRY AND DALLAS
- Thomas Hood and wife, Clarissa (Clarice) Arendell
moved to Perry County, Alabama, in 1834, after selling land
that Clarissa had inherited from her father, William Arendell, to
her brother-in-law, Jacob Parott. Thomas died, age 81, in
1857; in Dallas County, Alabama; Clarice was still living in 1850,
age 70 in the federal census of that year. The Hood family had
moved to Lenoir County from Dinwiddie County, Virginia, about
- HANKS /GATLIN/ROACH - I just recently found out that
Joshua Hanks sister Nancy married Bryan Roach. The Roach family
was also from Wayne Co. moved with them into TN. Nancy and Bryan
married in Davidson CO. TN and then they were found living near my
Hanks family in Hopkins CO. KY.. Bryan's parents were Wm. Roach
and Bridget Bryan according to my source, Don Crader. We are
stumped with 2 Lazarus Gatlin's in the area at the same time. We
don't know which is hers and which is mine. Mine went to Davidson
CO.TN same as the Hanks. John Hanks moved into the Dobbs Co area
and dc 1793 - had a son Mott whose son Nathan md Elizabeth Hood
and moved to Pickens Co, Ala; John Hanks II died in Hopkins or
Christian Co, Ky and some of his children stayed in Ky and some
went into Illinois;
- ORMOND/SUGG - Children of Fletcher and Frances Sugg
Ormond of Greene Co to Sumter Co, Ala when their parents died
- LOFTIN/RHEM/BECTON - Frederick Becton Loftin was was
the son of Joseph Loftin and Mary Becton and was a Baptist
Minister married Elizabeth Rhem, daughter of William Rhem and
(Elizabeth Brock perhaps??) - he and his wife and family moved to
Sumter Co. Alabama. His daughter Hannah Penelope lived there and
in Miss. for awhile, then returned to NC.
- (This information was provided to various Loftin Researchers
by the g daughter of Frederick Loftin Becton)
- Back to the
OLD DOBBERS Misc. Page