Some researchers regard Peter Tickner (bap. 20 April 1713, son of Walter Tickner and Patience Haffenden) as the same Peter Tickner (also known as Peter Rough or Rough Tickner) who was involved with the Hawkhurst Gang and was twice transported to America. However others do not agree. At present there is insufficient information available to determine which view is correct but for a discussion on this go to .....
Tickner Buildings & Properties in England
Peter's Great Grandfather, John came from Goudhurst and had a farm in that area. Peter's father, Walter farmed Cissley Farm from 1718 and then Ockley Farm in 1737. Peter himself had the third largest farm in the Sandhurst/Hawkhurst border (Fieldgreen Farm, Sandhurst, border of Hawkhurst just up from Four Throws Crossroads which is roughly mid way between Hawkhurst and Sandhurst).
In Shere in Surrey there is a place called Tickners Heath on the southwest corner of Dunsfold Airfield plus a house called
** Barhatch **
, now part of Cranliegh Golf Course, built by a John Tickner in 1755. Which John Tickner built it is not known.
At Hawkhurst there are Tickner's Farm, Tickner's Oast and Tickner's House. The owner of Tickners Farm let Robert look around. The house was built about 1620ish from old oak ships timbers which give a warm and comfortable feeling to the building. The owners indicated that they had been told that the smugglers used to meet in the cellar. Tickners Farm is west of the main crossroads. There is also a house called Tickners on Seacox Heath, built about 1820ish.
Peter (b.1713) Tickner's grandson, also Peter with his wife Maria (nee Pankhurst) farmed 284 acres called Stockbridge Farm at Snave, Kent and lived in their two storey house, Stockbridge House, for many years while his son, also Peter, was using 32 acres for grazing at the time of the 1851 census.
** Barhatch ** - Extract from book by C. G. Harper 1909, page 104, "The Smugglers"
An old brick and tile hung (stet) farm down below Ewhurst Hill, older than it looks, known as Barhatch, was in those times in possession of the Tickner family and in the old living room stands an inglenook marked John Tickner 1755. The Barhatch Woods were often used by smugglers and the Tickners never had occasion to buy spirits. When the front door was opened in the morning, a keg would be on the doorstep for the use of the Tickner property and the discretion of the Tickner tongue.